2021 top-five prospect Patrick Baldwin Jr. cuts list, includes Kentucky

Photo: 247Sports

Photo: 247Sports

2021 five-star guard and top-three prospect Patrick Baldwin Jr. is down to ten schools, and Kentucky is one of them.

This evening, Baldwin announced he would be officially choosing between Duke, Georgetown, Kentucky, Michigan, Milwaukee, North Carolina, Northwestern, UCLA, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Here was the announcement:

Baldwin Jr., the No. 3 prospect in the class of 2021, is just one of two small forwards in the class – Jonathan Kuminga being the other – with scholarship offers from John Calipari.

Back in January, the 6-foot-9 forward out of Sussex, WI told Eric Bossi of Rivals.com that he was Kentucky was “really high up there” on his list of favorite schools.

“I love Coach (John) Calipari and I love the guys they’ve targeted,” Baldwin told Bossi. “I like talking with Paolo (Banchero), (Kennedy) Chandler and I like the guys they are trying to build with in that class. At the end of the day they will probably be in my end list even though I haven’t released it. I think Kentucky is really high up there with me right now.”

In a recent interview with Corey Evans of Rivals.com, Baldwin doubled down on his interest in Kentucky, saying the coaching staff has done a great job pitching the school’s production and development of elite talent.

“Their pitch has just been a lot of things that we knew going in which was that they produce a lot of NBA talent, play in the SEC, they have really good teams and talent in that league,” Baldwin said. “A really big pitch is that they know that I am really talented but if you come to Kentucky, that they aren’t guaranteeing you anything.

“If you want to come here, you have to work and push yourself to be the best that you can be on your own and they will push you along the way but they aren’t going to promise anyone anything because they want you to come in with a good class and be alongside a lot of other good players and really, it is just going to be like a pro-style practice where they have scouts there and at almost all of their games and it is just going to be about who wants it more which is what Kentucky has always been about with all the prospects they have recruited.”

Duke has been seen as the longtime leader, though Northwestern and Kentucky have also been picking up steam with the five-star prospect in recent months.

Check out some of his recent highlights below:

Will UK be able to pull off the upset with the five-star prospect?

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

16 Comments for 2021 top-five prospect Patrick Baldwin Jr. cuts list, includes Kentucky

1. RAGE
    9:44 pm May 9, 2020 Permalink

I would love to have this kid.. This kid could be a future NBA superstar.. He has the size skill and athleticism to be truly special.. The 2021 class is loaded with elite talent at the top

2. JASUN74
    9:57 pm May 9, 2020 Permalink

Would love to have him too Rage. I remember a couple years ago when we first heard about him, he’s been absolutely working his butt off because he’s gained a ton of muscle and filling out finally. I agree he can be a star here and in the NBA. Keep plugging away with him Coach. I just can’t ever doubt Cal if he really wants a kid. Go Cats.

3. lexattorney
    10:09 pm May 9, 2020 Permalink

So UK made his top 10
    Wake me up when his list is >=4. If it’s still double digits (whether it’s 10 or 50) the kid hasn’t even thought about where he is going, just a bunch of schools he likes.

• bigbluebg
      12:11 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

Think you mean <= 4? You're an attorney and math isn't a focal point of your daily life…so we'll let it slide this one time. Btw, I agree…who cares until the kid is making his decision/signing. I expect Kentucky to be in every player's top 5, that we actively recruit.

For future reference:
      greater than

• bigbluebg
      12:12 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

It cut off my future reference.
      greater than

• bigbluebg
      12:14 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

greater than

4. CrystalBall
    11:45 pm May 9, 2020 Permalink

Why is he a guard in one paragraph, and a small forward in another? Which is correct?

• friendsofcoal
      1:36 am May 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t care what position they list him at because he’s the real deal with a shot like that at 6’10”!

• friendsofcoal
      1:37 am May 10, 2020 Permalink

He could play the 2, 3, or the 4 imo.

5. KyZoneBlitz
    3:44 am May 10, 2020 Permalink

Dont beat me up here guys, seriously, but when I watched his film, the first thing thar came to my mind was a duke player (no joke, just puked a little). The kid is insanely talented and it looks effortless when he plays. Great shot, but those are some of the softest dunks I’ve ever seen, lol. He should be trying to bring the rim down IMO. I think Cal can land him if he keeps the press on, actually somewhat like Baldwin more than Kuminga personally, but as long as we get one in that class to go along with one of the ELITE Post-players, everything else will fall into place. Cal ALWAYS finds the right PGs to feed the team. We need that next-level superstar, and that IMO, comes in the form of Baldwin jr, or Kuminga.

• KyZoneBlitz
      3:45 am May 10, 2020 Permalink

Oh, forgot a line, but the Duke player he reminded me of was a bigger Grant Hill, lol. Sorry guys, I know, I hate it too, but hopefully we get our next level 6’9 Grant Hill! Go Cats!

6. UKFanSC
    8:01 am May 10, 2020 Permalink

Jason Tatum 2.0

7. Ez21
    10:22 am May 10, 2020 Permalink

He’s going to Duke unfortunately but we will get Skyy, BHH, and Hardy.

8. Not Dan Issel
    10:24 am May 10, 2020 Permalink

He reminds me of Sam Bowie in high school and his freshman year at UK.

9. bigbluebg
    12:13 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

greater than. Dont hit the return in your comment…otherwise it cuts off the comment there. Dumb KSR App.

10. bigbluebg
    12:17 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

I give up. KSR, please fix your app so it does not cut off comments due to returns and special characters in text strings. That is stupid and an easy fix.