2020 five-star center Moussa Cisse postpones decision

Photo: Jon Lopez/Nike

Photo: Jon Lopez/Nike

The plot thickens with the top available center in the class of 2020.

Five-star center Moussa Cisse, who announced last week he would be reclassifying from 2021 to 2020, has postponed his college decision.

At the time of his reclass announcement, Cisse told reporters he would be choosing a college at some point this week. Now, the 6-foot-10 center is pushing back his decision due to the ongoing protests and social unrest in the United States.

With social unrest and injustice a big topic in the United States, Cisse thinks it would be insensitive to make a commitment right now.

“It’s bigger than basketball what’s going on right now,” a source close to Cisse told 247Sports. “We are to wait until things calm down a little bit. … It’s hard to say now [when a decision will come] as the situation is unpredictable.”

When a decision does come, Cisse will ultimately decide between Florida State, Georgetown, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, and Memphis.

Regarding the likely landing spot, LSU is the overwhelming favorite on Cisse’s Crystal Ball, with eight of 11 picks coming in favor of the Tigers. Two of the other picks have the elite shot-blocker landing at Memphis.

“I am trying to find the best way to the NBA,” Cisse told ESPN last week. “I want to see how my college career will go, but if I do well, I will definitely try to make a move to the NBA. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to compete at the Basketball Without Borders Global Camp scrimmages because of Tennessee rules. I was invited to the Nike Hoop Summit, which was canceled, and I missed playing in the EYBL again this summer, so I will try to catch up with what I lost in college and make sure NBA teams learn more about me. I have a lot of work to do.”

After reclassifying to the class of 2020, Cisse is now ranked No. 9 overall and the No. 2 center in the nation, with Evan Mobley being the lone center ranked ahead.

“Blocking shots is a gift for me,” Cisse said. “I’ve never worked on it. It comes from my motor and my energy. I like to win and playing defense helps, but I can do more than that.”

Cisse, a 6-foot-10, 220-pound big man originally from Guinea, moved to the United States in 2015 and has been living in Memphis since last summer. He took an unofficial visit to Kentucky back on October 11, 2019 for Big Blue Madness, and hosted John Calipari in back-to-back weeks in December.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

13 Comments for 2020 five-star center Moussa Cisse postpones decision

1. jwhit80
    10:00 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he’s also waiting to see if LSU receives their letter from the NCAA about those “strong ass offers”?

• UKBigBlueForever
      10:02 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

You beat me to it lol

• UKinIN
      11:52 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Same thought I had.

• ClutchCargo
      2:26 pm June 5, 2020 Permalink

There could be strong ass penalties coming, so he’s smart to wait and be sure.

2. UKBigBlueForever
    10:01 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

You think because he’s worried about what’s happening with LSU and sanctions? Why would anyone want to go to LSU as the “best way to the NBA”.

3. rockatao
    10:39 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t be that hard on LSU. Been some pretty darn good players go through there.

4. UKgrad80
    10:50 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Really don’t see why anyone would go to LSU right now!

5. Wildfelinebeeline
    10:54 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I think there several factors that are driving this. I could see where the unrest reason is part of it. But I also think the rumored NOA for LSU and Mike Miller’s departure at Memphis have other parts to play. If I’m right, then the comments the quoted source made about unsure when he’ll decide may be more reflective of whether Sarr gets his waiver. Please let me be right!

6. Dustin Rumbaugh
    11:04 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

This smells like a situation where we’re just a hat on the table. I highly doubt UK is involved at this point. Cal has been an absolute genius at avoiding these situations. We all know what money smells like….and that list looks like the usual suspects.

7. CJKAssassin123
    12:02 pm June 5, 2020 Permalink

He’s going to Memphis or Florida State to play under an African American coach primary because I think all of these protests and riots have probably significantlly increased his desire the to play for an African-American coach. Why? I think it has to do with the notion that African American coaches better understand the adversity and the way African-American basketball players live on a daily basis. I think they feel a lot more comfortable and safer under a African-American couch they do right now under a coach who is Caucasian. If I was a betting man I bet he ends up at Memphis especially since he’s already in Memphis.

8. IrishCat
    12:42 pm June 5, 2020 Permalink

Could it be he is also waiting to see if there is an Olivier Sarr decision? If Sarr is not granted eligibility, UK is certainly the best path to the NBA. I don’t believe it’s likely he picks the cats, but this certainly doesn’t hurt. Assuming Sarr is eligible, it really doesn’t make sense for him to be in Lexington for in any case.

9. Lip Man 1
    12:55 pm June 5, 2020 Permalink

That would be my guess especially after Dick Vitale’s comments about the situation.

10. BobbyBlue
    5:37 pm June 5, 2020 Permalink

Could it be possible he wants to see if Sarr is eligible to play ?
    Doubtful, just wondering if anybody else was considering that possibility .