20-year NBA GM on Kentucky: “I’ve never seen anything like this ever”

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Just how good has Kentucky been this season? One NBA general manager sees a team unlike any other he’s witnessed in his 20-plus years on the job. The veteran GM told ESPN’s Chad Ford, “I’ve never seen anything like this ever.”

“Calipari has done such a great job managing all of these kids. He has them playing so hard. They don’t just beat you. They chew you up and spit you out. UCLA came out and they were afraid. They should be. If Kentucky is hitting 3s, no one can beat them. Even if they’re not, I still think they’re likely to go undefeated.”

Ford has a lengthy write-up on Kentucky’s 10 NBA prospects over at ESPN.com. Surprisingly, the Harrison twins are the lowest-projected active players on the list, sharing a “45 to undrafted” projection with the injured Alex Poythress. Towns, Cauley-Stein, Lyles, Johnson and Booker are the first-rounders, just ahead of Ulis and Lee as early second round prospects.

Check out Ford’s breakdown of the Cats’ NBA potential here, although it’ll cost ya. Then take a second to digest what that GM said: “I’ve never seen anything like this ever.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for 20-year NBA GM on Kentucky: “I’ve never seen anything like this ever”

1. ChicagoCat
    3:19 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

I still don’t understand why the twins’ stock hasn’t gone up since the beginning of the year. Surely there aren’t 40 better NBA prospects right now than Andrew and Aaron with their size, athleticism, and skill set. I’m also very surprised Booker is a 1st rounder already and Ulis is a 2nd rounder. Love the kids, but I think they are both at least 2 year players with Ulis the more likely to be 3-4 years.

• kyle heavy
      4:02 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Why the surprise with the twins? The only thing going for them is their size. They appear to have very mediocre athleticism and speed/quickness for the next level. I think GM’s learned a lesson with drafting Evan Turner so high. He was a great college player with heart and size but doesn’t have the athleticism or speed for the next level.

2. Jud
    3:45 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

I am surprised about the thoughts on the twins as well but not Booker. Booker is a pro and we will be fortunate if he stays. I think Tyler stays another year.

3. Casper
    3:57 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

I hope Poythress, Ulis and Lee return. Then #10.

• Sublem
      4:41 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

The chances are high for them returning.

4. Leuther
    5:50 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Forty and Oh, baby!

• UK Big Board Update
      6:32 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Seven and One, baby!

• Leuther
      10:09 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Nine will be fine, baby!

5. Saul T. Nuts
    9:17 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

The Harrisons will be decent NBA players, and the NBA scouts are underrating their game.

6. millertime98
    10:02 am December 24, 2014 Permalink

The best thing about this photo and several others I have seen from this team is Alex’s expression. There are a lot of photos of someone getting a highlight play and the person who could have made it is celebrating. It shows a lot of unselfishness.
    The twins are not super flashy or crazy athletic so they have to precise and smart. I think they will be solid pros no matter where (or what country) they play in. They won’t be able to get much quicker or more athletic but you can’t teach size.