100 Days ’til Rio’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

One hundred days from now, the Summer Olympics will be upon us. From Friday, August 5 to Sunday, August 21, the world will turn its eyes to Rio de Janeiro, whether the city is ready or not. The Zika virus, water pollution, political issues, and venue delays have plagued Rio over the past year, making everyone pretty nervous about the Brazilian city pulling off its first ever Olympics. I mean, have you seen the pictures of the dead fish? And they want Olympians to row and sail in there? No thanks.

Regardless, I’ll be watching it like I always do, because I love the Olympics, especially the Summer Olympics. Not only will we have track, gymnastics, and swimming to entertain us, we’ll have at least a few former Cats to watch. DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, and John Wall are all on the list of National Team finalists, although Davis won’t be able to play because of knee surgery. Make us proud, boys.

So, get it together, Rio. We’ll be watching. Now, on to much more pressing matters in UK sports land…

Matthew Mitchell be on KSR at 10:30 a.m.

Just this week, one player, two future players, and one assistant have severed ties with the UK Hoops program, the latest in what has been a tumultuous year for Matthew Mitchell’s squad. This morning at 10:30 a.m., Mitchell will come on KSR to discuss the changes, and at 1:30 p.m., he’ll hold a press conference at Memorial Coliseum.

The program did get a much-needed bit of good news yesterday when word got out that former UK assistant Kyra Elzy is rejoining the staff as associate head coach. Elzy worked at UK from 2008-2012 before leaving to join the staff at Tennessee.

Charles Matthews had a minor surgery yesterday

Matthews gave the BBN a scare last night when he uploaded this picture on Instagram:

Thanks everyone for all the love. Really appreciate it!! Minor setback for major comeback. I'll be better than ever.

A photo posted by Charles Matthews (@charles1matthews) on

Don’t worry; KSR is hearing Matthews had a minor procedure and shouldn’t miss any significant time.

Patrick Patterson got his first career playoff start last night

Shoutout to Patterson, who moved into the starting lineup for the Raptors last night, his first start of the season and his first ever playoff start. Patterson had seven points and four rebounds in the Raptors’ win over the Pacers. Toronto now holds a 3-2 lead over Indiana in the series.

The latest update on Marques Bolden is…

…there is no update on Marques Bolden. Carry on.

Tonight’s NBA Playoffs schedule

• 8 p.m.: Hornets at Heat, TNT
  • 10 p.m.: Trail Blazers at Clippers, NBATV
  • 10:30 p.m.: Rockets at Warriors, TNT

In case your head has been in the sand the past few days, Steph Curry is out for two weeks with a sprained MCL. Take care of business while he’s gone, Warriors.

Pearl Jam rocked Rupp last night

The band uploaded this picture of their setlist on Twitter last night and the guitarist wore a UK shirt:

@dhsteeler

I’m sure many of you were in the audience, if so, how was the show?

Shoutout to BTI

I planned to share the #MoreThanMean PSA with you guys this morning, but BTI beat me to the punch, so I’ll just say thank you to him and everyone else for their kind words the past few days. Twitter bullying is the worst thing about social media, and while women in sports media may encounter it more than others, no one should have to deal with it. If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, don’t tweet it. Simple stuff, really.

KSR in an hour

It’s a big one, so get some work done now so you can give Matthew Mitchell your full attention later.

28 Comments for 100 Days ’til Rio’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

1. shepdog3720
    9:10 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

The show was great, but the acoustics were as horrible as always in Rupp…..

• RealCatsFan
      9:38 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

shep, where were you sitting? We were in the bottom of 215, and I thought they sounded pretty good where we were. Of course, I may have been a bit “influenced”. 😉

• shepdog3720
      9:17 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Influenced for sure! We were in section 13. To be honest, Vedder had something to do with the sound, as he has always had that deep, muffled voice when he sings. Hell, that is one of the things that makes their music so engaging. I am not sure I have ever had a great listening experience at Rupp in all of my visits. The best sounding show for me was probably Guns and Roses back in the very early 90’s, but that could have been due to way too many “influences” that night!

2. PatGLex
    9:17 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Someone needs to start a “Did Marcus Bolden Pick a Team” Twitter account (like the “Did the Reds Win” account I follow). That way I’d only need to deal with the issue once a day.

3. TorpedoVegas
    9:20 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Fantastic show last night. Great energy. Great performance. 3 hours of pure rock. Loved it. Seeing PJ has been on my bucket list for a while. So glad I finally got to see them. Eddie even gave a shoutout to Coach Cal!

• RealCatsFan
      9:46 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I was glad I got to see Stone Temple Pilots before we lost Scott Wieland, saw SoundGarden last year. Caught Red Hot Chili Peppers a couple years ago – now I need to catch Alice in Chains and the Foo Fighters to complete my west coast / Seattle Grunge retro rewind. Music from the 90’s is some of my favorite!

4. ukblue22
    9:34 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

You’re still my favorite KSR writer.

5. RealCatsFan
    9:40 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

As Vegas said, at one point they shone the spotlights up on all the banners and Eddie gave a shoutout to BBN and Coach Cal. I thought they did a nice job covering a lot of their big hits mixed in with some cool covers and new material.

6. lexwildcat
    10:03 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I think Louisville fans got in too. There was a lot of boos when the banners were shown.

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Yep, some of the butthurt fans of other programs got a little salty.

• UL fans should have expected that. Bands always play to the crowd. I remember David Spade joking on SNL about bands sucking up to the crowd wherever they’re playing. He referenced one band (I think it was the Eagles singing “Take it Easy” and “Well I’m standing on the corner in ____________”) he saw in concert that changed the words of a song to the town the concert was in to elicit applause and how cheesy that is.

• Mathlete
      12:09 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

the live version of that song on Hell Freezes Over says “I was standing on a corner in Southern California…”

7. I was never a fan of Pearl Jam, and have even less use for them after their North Carolina boycott. They have a right to do that in a free enterprise system, but they don’t want those who disagree with them to have the same freedoms in what is supposed to be the same system.

• chimichanga
      10:57 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

What does transgender have to do with “free enterprise”? Pearl Jam has no responsibility to play in North Carolina.

• The couple in Portland has no obligation in what is supposed to be a free enterprise system to bake a cake either. That’s my point.

• Mathlete
      12:11 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

As someone who got married not that long ago, I could almost guarantee that no couple (gay, straight, or anywhere in between) would hire a minister who didn’t want to be there to perform their ceremony. Antidiscrimination laws are there to protect people from being mistreated for no reason at all (kind of the same way that we don’t have a “colored” fountain next to the “white” fountain anymore)

• chimichanga
      12:28 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

“The couple in Portland has no obligation in what is supposed to be a free enterprise system to bake a cake either. That’s my point.

And there are many out there who want to force ministers to perform weddings they don’t agree with.”

I thought we were talking about Pearl Jam and North Carolina. But I guess you’re just rambling about whatever and can’t defend your post.

Also, literally no one is trying to force ministers to marry anyone. Stop mindlessly repeating that bullsh*, you only embarrass yourself.

• chimichanga, you probably won’t see this since I haven’t had time to check this thread in a while, but…

As for your 1st paragraph, if you can’t see the parallel then I can’t help you. Maybe this will:

As for the 2nd, here you go:

• chimichanga
      5:00 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Funny, I checked back just in case. For the first one, I guess we have different ideas of “freedom”. Playing bathroom police is not mine.

As for the second one, I guess I stand corrected, kind of. When you used the word “minister” I assumed you meant in a religious context. A church, priest, rabbi etc cannot be compelled to marry gays and no one (as far as I know) is trying to make them. If they are a secular private business, as in your link, they are required to serve the public.

Many years ago, though not that many, people used their religious freedom as justification to discriminate against blacks and refuse other minorities. Be careful what you wish for, Chris.

• Secular business or no, the individual religious freedom of the owner should prevail according to our constitution. However, your last paragraph is well taken, but race is not equivalent to what we’re talking about. Still, I realize we all have to be careful that we are not “hoisted on our own petard” so to speak.

I am in NO way advocating anyone doing that even though I believe it is their right as a business owner. I’m a believer in “The Invisible Hand”…if I refuse service to minorities just because they’re minorities, I won’t stay in business.

Peace.

8. Wow, this guy is a prophet (posted yesterday):

inside info2 April 26, 2016 at 10:32 pm | Permalink | Reply
    Like It (1)
    Tomorrow’s Interview:

Matt: So, Coach, you know we love you, right? I mean, you’ve done great things here. (5 more minutes of fluff). But, I gotta ask you, what is going on with the program?

Coach Mitchell: Well Matt, I appreciate the question. And as you know, we’ve made some changes. These changes are never easy. People’s lives are affected. Some of the decisions are tough. And we’ve made some tough ones. And some things just didn’t work out like we wanted them too. But we really are proud of what we’ve accomplished here. And we are looking forward to getting back out on the court and bringing a championship to the University.

Matt: That’s great to hear Coach. So, what do you plan to dance to at Big Blue Madness this year?

9. scorpiocard
    11:12 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

“If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, don’t tweet it. Simple stuff, really.”

Great advice to a fan base with a well earned and legitimate reputation for tweeting horrible things to basketball recruits who choose to go to other schools. Things like “I hope you die”, Or “I hope you break your leg.” (Or some other form of bodily injury).

Just recently a football recruit who is still committed to you got bombarded because he showed respect to U of L for offering him a scholarship.

Call me a troll if you wish, but this is the sad truth about a substantial portion of bbn. They are well known for their twitter bullying when they see what they perceive as a slight of any kind to uk. This pervasive mentality is the reason that even though I went to uk, I freely chose to be a Cardinal fan many many years before twitter existed. Twitter has only served to bring that ugliness out into the open even more.

10. Mathlete
    12:07 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

My experience with males (I refuse to call them men) who say incredibly mean things to women online is that they’re brave when they’re armed with a keyboard, but in real life are cowardly, pedantic little boys who are angry because women don’t like them. To anyone else it’s not much of a mystery as to *why* women don’t like them, but it doesn’t make any sense to them for some reason so they lash out and blame women for it.

Mrs TT – For what it’s worth, your writing is significantly and consistently higher quality than that of a lot of national sportswriters I read regularly (both male and female). Seriously, you rock at your job and I hope you’ll never let anyone tell you otherwise!

11. bluetide
    12:37 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

The show last night was absolutely incredible. They worked hard for their $$ playing 33 songs at almost 3 hours!

And yes I am totally an easy mark for fan pandering. I about lost it when Eddie said “Thanks to Coach Cal and the Kentucky Wildcats for having us here tonight. Man, that’s a lot of banners.” as the cams swept over our impressive collection. And I totally lost it when Mike McReady came out for the final set wearing a UK tee (albeit the ugly new logo).

Only down side was the couple from Milwaukee next to us (Chicago sold out so they actually came down bc Lexington was the next closest), and they yelled “Except we beat em last year!” amongst the Card boos when the Cats were name dropped. They were nice other than that disrespectful crap so I let it go bc well…we know how much better we are. Let em have their silly moment.