Last night was apparently quite a night…I wouldnt know exactly because I had already planned to take the night off for something much more important and exciting in Lexington. But when I returned to civilization at 12:45, it was clear that a Zah-Vee-Ay circus took place once again. If you were not following intently, happened to be sleeping, or just in general had other things going on, here is how it played out:
1. Around 3 pm, Carl Henry tells people that Zah-Vee-Ay is interested in Kentucky and is likely not going to Kansas.
2. Words starts to spread around internet folks that in fact, this has occurred and that Kentucky will be getting Zah-Vee-Ay.
3. Around 7 pm, my phone buzzes non-stop with calls from KSR members, friends, lawyers, recruiting sources and other mainstream media folks, all saying they are hearing Zah-Vee-Ay is headed to UK. I answer none of them and enjoy my Mediterranean food.
4. With Bill Self and Danny Manning in Oklahoma City with Zah-Vee-Ay, reports start to leak that Carl Henry has told multiple people that UK is the choice and that a press conference could be Thursday.
5. UK fans rejoice and dance like Al Sharpton at a Michael Jackson memorial benefit.
6. 12:15 am or so, the radio station that started it all reports that Zah-Vee-Ay is staying at Kansas….it is soon confirmed by Jeff Goodman and Andy Katz. UK nation is sad and Beisner has to update his News and Views for a third time.
So what is the moral of all this? Well first and most obviously, I am really tired of Zah-Vee-Ay, Carl, CJ, Travis, Patrick and all other Henrys out there. The elaborate “will he or wont he” scenario has made “Moonlighting” seem straightforward (there is a reference for you old school folks) and I am done with all of them. Second, however it showcases the power of the 24 hour news cycle…in less than eight hours, Zah-Vee-Ay was at KU, then at UK and then back to KU…and I actually think all may have been true. Aww the wonderful world of recruiting.
Of course I missed all of this and was enjoying myself much more as I did…thanks to the Beez, Fake Gimel and Dustin for following the story. Your next fruity drink at Atomic is on me…or at least half of it.