Zac Stacy’s run is motivating the defense before Vanderbilt

Last year’s 38-8 loss in Nashville should be enough to motivate the Cats this week, but defensive line coach David Turner is taking it an extra step just in case.  Collins Ukwu told reporters today that Turner has shown Zac Stacy’s 8-yard TD run (when he pushed half of UK’s defense into the end zone) before every meeting this week.  And just in case his defense didn’t get the message in the meetings, Turner sent the video directly to his players’ cell phones.

“It’s just something you don’t want to see at all,” Ukwu said of the play. “You just want to get him down.”

Stacy is Vanderbilt’s all-time leading rusher and the SEC’s active rush leader. He has 683 yards and five touchdowns this season.

Watch Ukwu break down what went wrong on the play from last season in this video from the Courier-Journal.

#BeatVandy

Article written by Drew Franklin

30 Comments for Zac Stacy’s run is motivating the defense before Vanderbilt

1. Depressed Fan
    1:21 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

That’s just pathetic. watching it makes me want to self medicate.
    To see how SOFT our D is and know that we can’t even stop vandy.
    MB please stop the pain and let Joker go, so we can get on with the rebuilding…

2. I Say
    1:23 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

What went wrong Ukwu is you f-ing suck. I hope this guy runs over every single player on the defense. Watching that video guaranted that I will not watch this shit show of a team this weekend. That is absolutely pathetic.Fire Joker, the entire staff, and let go all of these suck ass players.

3. Ugly
    1:23 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Embarrassing and very ugly. Ouch.

4. MemphisCat
    1:33 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I hope it motivates them to tackle and take the legs away from the runner. Why not fall in down in front of the runner, vice running beside him trying to take the ball. Very sad and weak.

5. Jpo
    1:33 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

2) classy

6. UK Rifle >>>> WVU Rifle
    1:37 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Sorry to interrupt but Ashley needs more BBN votes right now

Some boards in Nebraska are pushing their candidate ahead. Huskers already be us in volleyball 3-1 so we must defend our players

7. yes
    1:44 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

HMMM, half the team was pushing him and half the team was holding him up. Heck, how could he have been tackled. They completely surrounded him, he didn’t have a place to fall,lol.

8. Time to Just Think
    1:45 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone think that college games last too long? I’d like to see them around the 3 hour mark as in the NFL. 4 hours is just too long to watch our Cats play. Too, much time to think about hurting yourself.

I think we should replace the Samford’s, Kent State’s, and Western’s on our schedule with the likes of: Duke, Wake Forest, Indiana, North Carolina and such. A win over schools like these would look better on paper, especially to those folks that think a university with a good basketball team also has a good football team.

9. Smoke town
    1:48 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know what happened to the Alabama running back commit that Kentucky got? Justin Taylor? Injured?

10. I Say
    1:48 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

8 Our SEC Schedule is too difficult to play teams like that. Thats why the louisville game is such a big one. We need those bunny teams like Samford and Kent State just se we can be sure to get a couple non-conference wins.

11. emlang08
    1:52 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Any word on the UK Maryland game being affected by the remnants of disaster from Hurricane Sandy?

12. BigBlueAces
    1:53 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

10…Worked well with Western, right?

13. I Say
    1:57 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

12 Cant help it that we suck

14. Time to Just Think
    2:01 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Not say’in that we would beat Duke, Wake Forest, Indiana like drums every year, but it would be much more attractive and interesting. Those teams aren’t any better than we are or Kent State, Western, etc. and at the end of the day I’d rather get beaten by a “name” school than a want to be.

15. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    2:03 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

2. I Say) Chill out man. These players don’t need any more bashing, especially by some internet coward. Ukwu is probably a lot better at football than you are at whatever it is you do.

16. St. Paul Raiders
    2:05 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

17. I Say
    2:08 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

What has Ukwu done to get any credit? I dont think Ive ever heard the announcers say his name for being in on a play. Ive met the guy a couple times and he seems to be a good guy, but he is not that great of a football talent

18. Earache
    2:08 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Pathetic

19. Smoke Town
    2:15 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

17: I don’t disagree with your statement that Ukwu isn’t a “great football talent” but you clearly haven’t watched a UK football game lately. Ukwu gets his name called and despite his shortcomings is a leader on defense. Please stop the blithering use a little discretion.

20. I Say
    2:17 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

LOL well he has done a fantastic job at leading the defense

21. I Say
    2:21 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Okay, I agree that I went a little over board on that rant and it was uncalled for, but just watch that video!!! It makes my blood boil to watch these “Division 1 atheletes” get worked week in and week out. Yes the coaching is lackluster, but at least half of the blame has to be put on the players. At the end of the day its all about what you do to the guy lineing up across from you.

22. Smoke Town
    2:22 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Again, don’t disagree. My point is that he IS one of the leaders, whether you or I or even he likes it.

23. Jenny
    3:01 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

#16 – someone like Stitt is EXACTLY what UK needs. Even if there was a 180 degree shift and football suddenly became priority #1 (not happening), it would still take years for UK to become a consistent force in the SEC. The best path for UK is to embrace a gimmick – whether it is Stitt’s “Fly Sweep”, Mumme’s “Air Raid”, Navy’s Triple Option, or something else. Our resources and recruiting base are not getting any better, and our competition isn’t getting any worse.

If UK continues to try and play big-boy, smash-mouth football we will continue to be in the cellar. SEC teams barely have to prepare for us! Even if we run our game plan, it won’t be successful because it’s vanilla and we don’t draw the talent level to beat the big boys at their own game.

24. UnknownFan
    3:29 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Good Gawd KSR just keeps on pumping sunshine into a cesspool cave!

25. Exactly!
    3:46 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

#16 has got it right.

Hire Stitt! From the link, “”When I came on the interview, person after person told me there’s no way you’ll ever win here,” said Stitt, who was Harvard’s offensive coordinator at the time. “One of them said, ‘If you come here, just don’t embarrass us anymore.’ But I wanted it because I was going to prove everybody at this school wrong.””

With this mentality, I think Stitt would seriously consider taking the job and the additional salary. Fire Joker now and bring in this innovator. This would be Mumme#2 but hopefully better and hopefully he’d bring in a top notch defensive coordinator who would make our defense look better, while disguising our weaknesses.

26. Yesterdays
    4:03 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

“Toast” Neloms just standing there watching the action. No need to get your hands dirty Martavious.
    Also, Randy Sanders probably doesnt deserve a paycheck the last two years.

27. Sources Close To Program
    5:41 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Terry Bradshaw tried to buy a house on my street today….just saying!

28. Rodney Lacer
    6:00 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

The ? about Justin Taylor RB (former Bama commit) is he is redshirting this year. During the fall he and Mobley supposedly “looked so good” that they would both play(per Choker) but I guess that wasn’t the “PLAN”. After seeing how this coach operates and judges talent it would NOT shock me at all if Justin Taylor is the best RB on the team. Not only is this staff the WORST at coaching up players but they are also completely TERRIBLE at figuring out just who should be on the field and who shouldn’t. See Mikie Benton as a refenance. They put the senior walk-on at safety and watch as he got repeatedly burned this year and last. Why in the hell would you not put in 1 of the freshman at SAFETY? He may get burned like the Senior but at least he would be getting experiance. If the talent is very close at a position or if it cannot get any worse then why not go with the younger guys??? The list could go on and on about just how inept this staff is but some of this stuff isn’t football realted, its just common sense.Go Big Blue!!!!(I’m a glutton for punishment) Lol

29. Blitzandstunt
    9:30 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Defense has to Blitz and stunt, Blitz if were going to SUCK joker at least make it fun to watch and let your players compete more will make up for the talent gap instead of waiting for the quarterbacks to pick your secondary apart what do you have to lose ?????????? Ps Defense please hit someone Tackle low and high not love taps……….