Youngstown State’s Frank Buffano to be UK’s Director of Football Operations

The pieces continue to fall into place on Kentucky’s new football staff.  We now have a new member on the administration, according to FootballScoop.com. The website is reporting that Frank Buffano will be UK’s new director of football operations.  Buffano is another longtime friend of Mark Stoops; he’s a Cardinal Mooney graduate and a former defensive graduate assistant under Stoops at Arizona.  Buffano spent the last three seasons coaching linebackers at Youngstown State, as seen in this video:

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Youngstown State’s Frank Buffano to be UK’s Director of Football Operations

1. Sean
    9:11 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Looks like he’s giving the “hail Hitler” solute lol. Dang, we need a strong set of coaches to whip these boys into shape, but this takes things toooo far hahaha.

2. Dayum
    9:12 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Just more evidence that Stoops is finally preparing to do the only thing that will ever make UK a viable program in the SEC: Hit Ohio like it’s our back yard. Nearly all of Ohio is closer to nearly any of Georgia. And kids stay close to home if they can and the better ones can.

3. Blue Jesus
    9:21 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

What does the Director of Football Operations do?

4. Catlogic15
    9:21 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

What continues to impress me is how Coach Stoops is surrounding himself with people that have known him for sometime and have bought 100% into Coach Stoops. The communication advantage of this moving into spring is invaluable, not to mention beyond. This staff is set to sprint. Very impressed.

5. UK fan
    9:24 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

What happened to current (now former) Director of Football Operations, Nolan Jones? I understood that he reported to Barnhart and was above the coaching change?

6. BuD LiGhT
    9:29 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Well, I sure do feel better about his hire after seeing that video. Yes, I am kidding. I am sure Stoops sees a LOT more in him than I saw in that video. Am I the ONLY one that thought that was really pretty weak?

7. Walkon
    9:33 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Brian Long! I guess u can’t hit a HR with everyone.

8. Family Friend
    9:37 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Yep, Coach Stoops is taking care of me. I am a goober.

9. UK Freshmen
    11:04 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Youngstown State?? Hahaha!

10. Chicago Chris
    12:02 am December 19, 2012 Permalink

Concerned that everyone Stoops hires seems to be some sort of old friend.

11. CDC_UKY
    6:17 am December 19, 2012 Permalink

Matt…give Frank your barber’s number. I think it would be a good fit.

12. hello
    10:36 am December 19, 2012 Permalink

Youngstown State, and Ohio in general tends to pump out good coaching talent…sounds like it could be a good hire…i am also not a UK fan, so not a biased opinion.

13. bluristhurr
    11:13 am December 19, 2012 Permalink

Good to see the staff getting young compared to our grandpa coaching staffs before!

14. Pete Penguin

The Pellini Brothers
    Bob Davie
    Dike Beede
    Wes Feller
    Jerry Olsovsky

Just to name a few.

How about the broadcaster/players like Ron Jaworski, Cliff Stoudt, Pat and Paul Maguire.

We will not even get into the number of players that came from Youngstown, and still considered the hub of HS football in the U.S.

Youngstown is to football, what Kansas is to basketball.

ps: any time you can come up with $500k …YSU will be happy to come down and show you how the game is played. 😉