Shabazz Muhammad’s image took a hit a few months ago when he pouted after a teammate hit a game-winning shot. He wanted the ball, he didn’t get it, whatever. He’s a 19-year-old kid who’s used to having the spotlight on the basketball court and someone else got the glory.

Wait, what’s that?  He’s not 19?

Oh.

According to an article from the L.A. Times, Shabazz Muhammad is actually 20 years old, which doesn’t sound like that big of a deal until you hear the explanation behind the confusion. It turns out his father, Ron Holmes, lied about Muhammad’s age so he would have a year on the competition as a child. That extra year gave Muhammad a head start on growing and developing throughout his youth, which made him stand out against the other kiddos.

But that’s not all Papa Holmes did to spark his son’s basketball career. Holmes told the L.A. Times he gave his children names that would be marketable worldwide, and he pushed them to work hard in sports from a young age. When the other teenagers were being teenagers, Shabazz traveled the country for camps and elite basketball training.

Holmes admits his life mission is to raise professional athletes. It’s working for him, but he isn’t winning anyone over with his methods.

It sounds like he attended the Marv Marinovich School of Parenting.

[A father’s hoops dream: Minting an NBA millionaire]

Article written by Drew Franklin

72 Comments for You’ll have a hard time liking Shabazz Muhammad after you read this LA Times article

1. Gandalf the Blue
    11:01 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

I don’t get the big deal. This strategy seemed to work out pretty well for Kobe Bryant

2. DEASY
    11:03 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

What is on his face? It’s gross.

3. Bob
    11:03 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Everybody knows Lebron was 35 in high school

4. John Calipari
    11:04 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Now you all know why I didn’t want him…

5. Morehead Calln'
    11:04 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Maybe he should write a book. Title “I made Millions off my kids”
    I’d buy it lol

6. Jpo
    11:05 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

I would rather have the season we just had than make the tourney with shabazz on the roster

7. David19
    11:05 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Not to say ‘I told you so’ but, throughout his recruitment, I had a funny feeling about him and was actually glad when he went elsewhere. I did NOT feel good about Anthony Bennet going to UNLV however.

8. Adam
    11:06 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

this man has NCAA violations written all over him!!

9. Chris
    11:07 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

This makes me not like his dad. Not so much him.

10. BlueRedNeck
    11:08 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

It goes on in all sports, and I suspect more than you would think. My kids are involved with club volleyball, and my ten-year-old was playing in a tourney against what looked to be grown women. Some of these parents out there are nuts!

11. UKBlue1!
    11:09 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Glad he is at ucla.

12. Sean D
    11:10 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

He father got World Wide Wes’s vote for dad of the year.

13. SexnNursinHomes
    11:11 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

2- It’s called acne or aka pimples, zits, mini-boils.

Hope that answered your question.

14. BigBlack'sEntourage
    11:13 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

I’d still take him in a second. They guy is a great player with an attitude. I don’t care how many of next year’s class want the ball at the end of the game if they play hard.

15. B-man
    11:14 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Agree with #9…the article doesn’t make me dislike ‘Bazz, it makes me dislike his dad.

16. Rixter
    11:14 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

You can’t blame the kid because hid dad is a douche.
    Now, you can blame him for pouting because his team won but he didn’t get the glory. That’s why he didnt go to UK, he knew he would have to share the limelite

17. rockatao
    11:15 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

doesn’t make me dislike Muhammad at all. why get upset over this? you don’t get better playing against younger, weaker kids; you get better playing against older, stronger kids

18. DEASY
    11:16 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Those look like no zits I’ve ever seen. His Dad should get the guy who paid for all the visits to buy him some proactiv solution. Gross.

19. Rural Juror
    11:18 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

This approach is supported by Malcolm Gladwell in Outliers.

20. Blame
    11:18 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

I blame his dad, but I also blame him for going along with it. He is a grown man and he should’ve came clean a long time ago. I’m sure Ben Howland knew about it as well, it seems like they are full of s***! Will this make the NCAA investigate deeper? I doubt it….

21. SexnNursinHomes
    11:19 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

18- Well, I dunno what to tell ya, but those cause mirror splatters.

22. TN Cat
    11:20 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

We played a team from Miami when I was 8 in a baseball tournament in Georgia and a couple of the guys had full moustaches. It was like we were playing the Cuban under 18 team.

23. I Say
    11:21 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

HAHA He turned his son into a soon to be professional athelete and your trying to put a bad spin on it? You cant be serious. Of course he is going to have to do things that most teenagers dont. Its not like he was just going to become the most sought after player in his class by not working at it.

24. I Say
    11:23 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

who cares if he is older tons of parents “redshirt” their kids like that. all you have to do is start them a year late in school. Honestly I plan on doing it to my kids…When ever I have some.

25. Eric K
    11:27 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Really who cares, he didn’t come here, if he had the ncaa would have never let him play… GO CATS!!

26. craynes
    11:27 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Glad he didn’t come to KY, we may have had a down year and he could have helped a lot, but we have higher standards than this…
    “If Shabazz takes UCLA past the first round of the tournament, that’s a success,” Holmes said. “It shows that he’s a winner.”

27. foregoneconclusion
    11:28 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

interesting read, and i’m sure many many parents attempt the same or similar … with less success. i found it most interesting that dad preemptively “lawyered-up” and was ready and waiting for the NCAA to attempt to twart his efforts

28. jus sayin
    11:28 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

I don’t see how that makes him a bad kid? His dad maybe. Plus obviously he was still pretty good. He is playing against people his own age now and he still stands out.

29. barn
    11:29 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

17//no big deal, but he was playing against younger kids. you think he would have been better playing against older kids?

30. the hell you say
    11:30 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

#24 And why do you plan on doing that? I know of a kid that was held back 2 years, all for sports. Really? So the kid could get his driver’s license in 8th grade? Its ridiculous. I’m betting $$ your kid is not going to have the genes to be a professional athlete (a miniscule % do). So why hold them back? I’m sorry, its just absurd.

31. Bulldawg
    11:34 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

My boy’s birthday worked out just right to where I did not have to do this… He was born in October, right before/after the cutoff date. To explain, He is 6 in Kindergarten. I was a year behind everyone in my class (not that anyone cares) and I’ll tell ya, it sucked watching all my friends get their D. L.’s before me. I went from no awards in my junior year to first team all county, 2nd team all district, and all sekc hon. mention in my senior year. I graduated at 17 and I sure wish I would have had another year or 2. Prolly would not made a difference in me getting a scholly (I was too slow) but it would have made my high school years more fun. Just my 2 cents.

32. I Say
    11:34 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

30 It all just depends on timing and when their birthday is. And it is not just for sports reasons. whats wrong with them being a little older and getting their license earlier? not like its a crime. What ever Shabazz’s dad did worked so I dont see how you can hate on it. As a guy who is young for his age group and graduated when I was 17 I dont see a problem with it.

33. I Say
    11:35 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

34. Blue Blood
    11:36 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Shabazz’s dad did all the fishy stuff, not Shabazz himself… I lost respect for his dad but don’t really think much differently of Shabazz himself.

35. RahRah
    11:39 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Ehh, didn’t care for his pouty attitude with his team and his dad sounds like a tool, but folks hold their kids back a year to achieve academic glory ALL the time. I think it’s weird but I know a family that did it with all 3 kids and then gloated non-stop about their academic prowess to anyone who would listen. Yeah, an almost 7 year old learns much faster than a 5 year old. lol

36. Musehobo
    11:41 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, but this doesn’t make me like him less. Maybe his father…maybe.

37. Delk for 3
    11:41 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

I have no problem with anything Shabazz or his dad has done. The world is rough out there and Shabazz’s dad has helped his son ensure a worry-free financial life. There is NOTHING wrong with that. If I’m Shabazz’s dad I’m like, “F___ all the haters!” Way to go Mr. Holmes. Your son will appreciate it when he’s older.

38. The Real Mr Obvious
    11:43 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Actually, he chose UCLA because of their dermotology med school.

39. jtm
    11:45 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

31**i can relate to everything you say. i graduated h.s. a few days past my 17th bday and i’ve always wished i could have stayed with my own age group

40. the hell you say
    11:45 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Yes, you are right as far as timing of the birthday. I should have qualified my remarks that if a kid is held back for sports reasons, then it is absurd. LOL, however, you lost me again when you said “whatever Shabazz’s dad did worked”!! Really? The kid is a train wreck. I mean seriously, Shabazz is an elite athlete. You think he would be playing at Midway College instead of UCLA had he not been held back? No. And again, I’ve read a bit about Shabazz and his dad. Look no further to the prima donna Shabazz pouting after his team won on a last second shot just because he didn’t get to take it. I would argue whatever Shabazz’s dad did DIDN’T work. Read about Todd Marinovich (link below) if you want to see a train wreck caused by a parent pushing his kid. Again, holding your kid back a year doesn’t mean you are a Marv Marinovich…but it could be a symptom. And its a sad tale.

41. I Say
    11:51 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Yes the Marinovich story is a sad one but that is only one case. what about all the parents who do push their kids and the kid ends up being successful and reaching their dreams. I would say that the latter happens much more often.

42. WhatWhat
    11:55 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

That’s a real crap-Dad if you ask me…Shabazz may very end up being the elite NBA player he wants but he may end up being a bust due to being helped at every step while working his way to the NBA. His father won’t have any influence in the NBA and without him, Shabazz may not be successful. Kid is good no doubt but I’m not sure he’s the elite player he is painted to be. I’ve certainly not seen it up to this point…and I’m not knocking him becaue he didn’t go to UK. Hopefully the kid can be a success and provide for him and his family but if he’s not successful it’ll be a hard drop to the bottom for him after such a guarded life.

43. Rae
    11:56 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

The difference is his dad lied about his age. If he had just held his kid back, that’s fine. But to lie about his kid’s age and birthplace is fishy. Why not just hold his child back? I’ve seen it happen.

Also, the whole breeding thing is creepy, marrying to make All Americans. I hope he loves his other children who aren’t quite as athletically gifted.

44. Rise
    12:00 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

So he grew up to be a great basketball player and will be making millions. Sounds like his father did an outstanding job. Wish my pops would have went that route.

45. the hell you say
    12:01 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

LOL, I don’t know how old you are. I have two daughters, one in college and one graduating HS this year. There is a HUGE difference between making sure your kids take advantage of opportunities and work hard VS. “pushing them” as you say. No, the Marinovich story isn’t just one case. Its a cautionary tale. I mentioned in my earlier post about the kid I know that was held back twice by his parents. For sports. Not sure the effect on him of watching kids his age graduate and go to college while he can’t even go to prom yet. But I’ll tell you this, his dad is a total nutcase. And the kid has issues from his dad putting him on a pedestal and living his life vicariously through him. Again, if your kid has a borderline birthday and can go either way, then no problem. But if your kid is 5 years old and should still be playing with Legos but you say “Honey we are holding him back so he’ll get a scholarship to play football at Notre Dame” then you, the parent, have issues and your reasons for holding your kid back are ego driven. And that happens more often then producing successful kids. Sadly. Hope your wife (or future wife) has a good head on her shoulders.

46. RealCatsFan
    12:04 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

#2, looks like he was trying to keep up with Big Black in a powdered donut eating contest!

47. the hell you say
    12:05 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

And p.s., is it fair to the other kids on your team, or your opponents when you are 14 years old and dominating 6th graders??? My kids played HS basketball and I assure you there is a school in Eastern KY where the girls playing Freshman BBall are 17 years old. LOL, how fair is that for the teams they play against?

48. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:07 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Holding your kid back a grade so he’ll be a year older is nothing new. It’s “The Outliers” theory and is beneficial in all aspects that you want your kid to have an edge, not just sports. The lying about his age part is really shady though. Most schools determine eligibility by year, not by age, but if it affected his eligibility on certain teams then it is really shady. But the idea of holding your kid back in general is nothing new.

49. Leroy Byrd
    12:08 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

All Louisville St. X and Trinity kids are held back for sports before Kindergarten.

50. BlueRedNeck
    12:11 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

47, you are making my point for me. Take a look at club volleyball – it’s out of control, like most club sports these days. If your kid wants to play almost any sport in HS these days, unless he/she is simply immensely talented you have to spend thousands for them to play the club circuit just to keep up and stay “in the loop”. I sure find it hard to believe that the economy is hurting that much when there are that many parents willing to fork over thousands for club sports.

51. PTO
    12:13 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Michael Bradley’s Dad, Daniel Orton’s Dad. We’ve had our fair shair of family members that had delusions of grandure about their child’s abilities. Thing about it, if I could direct my child into being a lottery pick and an instant millionaire at 20, I might be the same way. Unfortunately, it’s one of the many things wrong with one and done.

52. BlueRedNeck
    12:14 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

48 – I agree that most sports participation is based on age, but I suspect that lying about ages might be going on more than you think. Either that or they are putting something in the water and food (hormones?) that is causing a lot of these kids to develop at a much faster rate. My kids are average in size, and even in their school leagues they are the smallest kids on the courts. Maybe I need to push them to gymnastics or cross country. 🙂

53. I Say
    12:17 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

As a 20 year old junior at UK im not that worried about it, just giving my opinion. Either way Shabazz is set for life regardless of what his father did.

54. Umm
    12:30 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Is it racist that I thought that was a picture of LeBron?

55. jp7
    12:33 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Obvious that all he is about is the money and the individual glory. What a jerk. Makes me glad the kid did not come to UK-they had enough problems as it was without having a selfish kid and his dirtbag daddy around.

56. brain
    12:42 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Yawn. Nothing to see here. Move along.

57. Chicago Chris
    12:45 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Well, don’t blame him for his daddy’s decisions. The question is what side effects will become known when he’s on his own.

58. This is a stupid post
    12:52 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

How can you put any of that blame of Shabazz. You basically said, his dad is a prick and lied..so you should hate Shabazz. The whole pouting about not getting the ball is dumb on his part and does make me not like him, but the rest..not so much. If anything, it makes me feel bad for him. Just because we didn’t get him as a recruit doesn’t mean we need to bash him every chance we get. His team is in the tourney, we lost to Robert Morris. Let’s be grown up and not act like sore losers

59. This is a stupid post
    12:53 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Also, did he just eat a nature valley bar? Shit is alllll over his face

60. Jkmes
    12:56 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Hate the guy if you want but it’s hard to argue with the results…Dad has succeeded and his kids are now reaping the rewards. There are a ton of parents out there that are no different, however their lil slugger never made it. Bigger crime is pushing your fat, unathletic kid to do something you nor they are capable of. Good for his dad.

61. UKBlue
    12:57 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Even though this year was a mess, we avoided an even bigger mess not getting Shabazz & his father. This kid never stood a chance with this kind of father, and will be a disaster in the NBA. No telling how bad his father screwed him up in the head. Thank you God for Shabazz not coming to UK.

62. Results?
    1:07 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

#60 What has dad succeeded at? Lying to further HIS goals for his kid? So you would lie, hold your kid back, falsify his birthdate or whatever it takes to see your kid succeed at something he never really had a choice to do? Yeah, there are tons of parents out there that are no different. Sad. And so is this. Shabazz is athletic and an elite bball player. I would argue that if his dad wasn’t such an egotistical lying a-hole that his kid would have still been an elite athlete (in the genes) and NOT screwed up in the head and a prima donna.

63. Gap Tooth Danny
    1:31 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

I’m withholding my comments until Rev. Jesse Jackson has a chance to give his thoughts on the subject. You know, the guy who DOESN’T WANT young black men to become overnight millionaires, if that means they weren’t glad grads. (How the hell does everything he says come out rhyming?)

64. DEASY
    1:39 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

I hope Accutane gives him a sponsorship deal next year.

65. mashburnfan1
    1:41 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

10 is right. I was with AAU basketball and saw this happening all the time. Parents/coaches put winning and their kid being the star over all else. Not as big of a deal when they hit late teens but a big advantage when a kid 13, almost 14, is playing 12 year olds. Or a near 16 year old is playing 14 year olds. AAU does not care as long as everyone is paying the money to be a part of it and play in tourneys. AAU at one time, still may do it I don’t know, also had a grade exception so if you hold the kid back he can play with his grade level instead of age. So do that and lie and 14 year old, nearly 15, is playing 12 year olds and so on. Saw it alot.

66. j
    1:42 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

when i heard shabazz muhammad for the first time i thought we were trying to recruit a member of the taliban i figured he would have a turban on his head. glad we didn’t get this trash and his trashy family..

67. DEASY
    1:48 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Maybe Papa John’s will give him an endorsement with that pizza face.

68. bosshog
    2:25 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Who cares?

69. Jatt Mones
    3:52 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

What is that funky crap on his face?

70. Insider
    5:58 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

@69, something that alot of us black men have. Razor bumps!

71. Katbluefan
    12:52 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Get real people, the kid hasn’t had time to take a shower, it’s just crap that he hasn’t washed off in the last couple days. I would bet he really smells good.

72. Dt
    6:19 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Make jokes if ya want, but that dude will be pimple deep in NBA poon real soon.