“You lose to UK, you lose to everybody”

Trinity’s Jason Hatcher

One of the main arguments made against Kentucky’s prospects in football is the lack of in-state talent. Unfortunately, the in-state talent that is there seems to be picking Louisville over the Cats more and more, an issue brought into light by comments made by Jason Hatcher, a defensive end from Trinity ranked third in the country in his position by Scout.com. Although Hatcher chose USC over Louisville and Tennessee last week, it was his remarks about why he decided to eliminate UT from his list that will hit Kentucky fans where it hurts:

“I told them, ‘You lost to the University of Kentucky. You lose to UK, you lose to everybody because UK finishes last in the SEC every year.”

Ouch. What about the Cards?

“I don’t think Louisville needs to do anything (better in recruiting nearby prospects),” Hatcher told ESPN. “They’re doing good. I’ve just known my whole life that I didn’t want to stay home, that I wanted to explore.”

Hatcher may not think much of the Cats, but he does think a lot of Tee Martin, who began recruiting him while he was at Kentucky, and continued to when he made the move to USC.

First step to changing the negative perception of UK football? Beating Louisville in 34 days.

122 Comments for “You lose to UK, you lose to everybody”

1. JayCee
    12:03 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I’d like to shake this guy’s hand.

His comment SHOULD spark a fire under UK. It probably won’t, but, at least the truth of the matter is being made obvious.

2. JPhelps
    12:05 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Alas, what the really good recruits think of us.

3. Bradley
    12:05 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

No way in hell that kid said that to the UT staff. If he did he’s a punk ass I wouldn’t want in my program anyways. Showing that little class in his interview makes it no surprise at all that he would have so little integrity that he’s willing to play for a d-bag like Kiffin.

4. Beavis
    12:05 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

He is going to think,,,,damn,,,,thats the upset of the century. Nice fiction,,,,wish it was not.

5. Coach Durbin
    12:06 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Apparently UL has lost to everybody in 4 out of the last 5 years…

6. JayCee
    12:08 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

3- I don’t know about you, but, my future is more important than worrying about hurting another man’s feelings.

Man up, speak your mind and make your own way on your own terms… or just go thru life with what it hands you.

Which are you?

7. UK
    12:08 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#3 what’s your problem, he only told the truth and Ms. Tyler is an idiot. We lost to U of L last year when we were clearly the favorite. I don’t know what would make you think that we’re going to win this year.

8. jpgott2
    12:08 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Technically Vandy historically finishes last in the SEC every year, but I get his point. UK is in the bottom tear. I can not believe he would exclude Tennessee because of 1 SINGLE game though.

Yes, UK is having massive problems under Joker. Just the simple truth.

I like how he has good feelings about UL, considering they are 14-12 under Strong, and playing in the CRAP Big East! What?

9. James K
    12:09 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Guys, we suck at football. What he said isn’t even the realm of exaggeration. A good firm criticism is what you need from time to time.

10. Jordan
    12:11 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Let’s be honest, if you were at USC in Southern Cal and playing football would you give a s^%* who won the game in KY?

11. SexnNursinHomes
    12:12 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

yeah and kiffin was such a great coach at ut. he was so so so good. so so good. Hatcher is wise beyond his years.

12. JayCee
    12:14 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

11- you’re missing the point, man. USC, even under sanctions and with Lane the mouth Kiffen at the helm, is still a better option than UK for pro aspirations.

13. CATSCATSCATS
    12:15 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey he’s just telling it like it is don’t be mad at him. We are what we are and until that changes you will continue to hear comments like this from top-rated players. How long until tipoff again??

14. SexnNursinHomes
    12:16 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

12- well, the “usc” name will only carry him for so long. Eventually, kiffen’s idiocy will show through.

There was a time when top recruits passed on UK basketball.

15. JayCee
    12:18 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

14- right, but the bevy of talent around him won’t. That’s the difference.

16. SexnNursinHomes
    12:20 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

15- maybe so. If kiffen shows he can’t develop talent, then usc could lose it’s sex appeal. all it takes is one mediocre coach…

17. JayCee
    12:20 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Sexn- not to nitpick, but, do you think Joker is a better coach than Kiffen? I don’t. And all things being equal, I’d rather live on the beach and play with top-notch players. I’m sure Hatcher feels same.

18. UK Wildcat
    12:21 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

He’s pretty much right. This is what recruits think of Kentucky Football under Joker Phillips.

19. Bus
    12:22 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, sorry – I’ve seen the rants about “fair weather” fans lately, and I just can’t fathom how not being a homer means that some of us are fair weather fans.

We’re calling it how we see it. Now, it just so happens, so is a top-tier recruit. He’s mostly correct in his assessment – why be offended? if Kentucky football were actually competitive (like, say, when we were beating Louisville consistently, and winning games against LSU and at Auburn), then I might be offended. But, I don’t see this team winning more than three games. If they win three.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’d love to eat crow and see this team not only go to a bowl game, but win one. I’ll be watching as many games as I can (and for as long as I can tolerate; I’ll still turn off a 60 point blowout to Florida) and will be pulling for them to win. But, if I say that I thought they were going to even get close to a bowl game, I’d be lying.

20. SexnNursinHomes
    12:23 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

17- I agree with you about the beach thang. hahaha. I don’t blame him for that.

kiffen over Joker, probably, but not by much. kiffen just has a lot of resources.

21. Bald Guy
    12:23 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

It is very hard to be mad when you see where your program stands with local kids… Have you seen our ticket sales? Not exactly recruiting worthy… It is going to take a lot of work to get the talent in this state to stick around if our fans give up on the team before the first kickoff. It sounds to me like this kid is pretty cool besides going to Trinity for highschool. I like my program with Joker at the wheel and I have the patience to let his recruiting build into something. I’d say this guy was telling the truth when he wanted to leave KY otherwise he would be a cardinal. Best of luck to Hatcher! Go CATS!

22. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    12:24 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Wait, since when have we finished last in the SEC every year? It only takes 1 year to prove that statement wrong, which we have surpassed being last quite a few years.

This is direct evidence of the brain damage caused by head to head collisions in football.

23. njcat
    12:24 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

A totally classless comment. Not surprised he chose to play for a classless coach. He’s welcome to his opinion, but some day he’ll learn that he hurts himself more than anyone else by putting people down publicly. Demarcus is learning the same thing… I hope. If you don’t have something positive to say, keep your mouth SHUT.

That being said… his comments are further evidence of why the KY program cannot attract the best athletes. Same reason the bball team could not attract them under Tubby and BCG – you need a coach w/ energy and vision.

24. hslfcourtshots
    12:24 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#18, if he feels that way about UK it isn’t about Joker. It is about the overall history of the program.

25. Beavis
    12:28 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

All these players we recruit that say ” I just wanted a chance to play in the SEC ” LOL What they really meant is ” no one else in the SEC recruited me ” Middle Tenn did,,,but no one else.

26. jpgott2
    12:29 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

21., the recruits were not coming when we were packing the place. What is the recruiting going to BUILD into? Even if Joker could get a stable of 4-stars, he would not be able to coach it/ DEVELOP it!

It took an injury for Max Smith to get his shot last year. If the injury did not occur, Newton would have probably stayed in.

27. Truth
    12:29 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I support our football program 100%.. but thats not the point. The point is that the coaches and players in the program right now don’t have what it takes to compete with over half the teams in the SEC.

28. Big Blue 66
    12:31 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

My wife works with this kid and hes a great, very well spoken kids. Sometimes the truth just hurts. This is where we are in football.

29. Yngvie Maumsteen.
    12:32 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

No way we beat UL in FB. Not gonna happen.

30. jpgott2
    12:32 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

24., You are wrong! If UK kept on going to bowls, and continued to slowly build, recruits would be willing to take a chance on UK. Yet, UK has been atrocious for the last 2 seasons, and local recruits are not wanting any part of it. Recruits do not look at UK’s history (over 10 years), and don’t want to play at UK. If this was true, UL would not have a functioning football team!

31. JayCee
    12:33 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

27- We, as fans, love the FB program. This is why I’m so very, very upset with UK right now and why I won’t stop my tirade against them until change is evident. Could be a long life for me, eh?

The problem is that UK, itself, and its powers DO NOT LOVE FB. We love a woman that will NEVER love us back. She simply tolerates us so long as we maintain the cash flow.

That’s the truth. You can either find yourself inline with that mentality, or you can get mad and demand change.

32. JayCee
    12:36 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Look, UK football is the Panda bear that won’t even screw to stave off its own extinction.

33. 3cats
    12:40 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

he is a UL fan and hates UK anyway Thats why he said that remark about UK.Didnt Ul lose to UK 4 out 5 times they played? Louisville, you lose to UK your a loser. Look it up…. What he said.

34. JayCee
    12:41 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

WJOX is raving about Kiffen’s class right now on the radio.

35. Cliver
    12:45 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

32 – Nice try with the Fight Club reference, but I’m not sure it works here.

36. UK fan
    12:46 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

UK should have done whatever it took to keep Tee Martin, if it was even possible. Kids seem to love him, sucks to lose a potentially great recruiter.

37. KYROCK
    12:47 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Disappointing comments from Hatcher and I’m sure he will fit in great with Kiffin, just hope his work ethic improves. Sorry but when you make negative comments about the State School when I know the staff and most fans have treated you very well, that goes straight to your lack of class and maturity. Even more disappointing for a kid coming out of Trinity. Seems to me that Coach Beatty and the Athletics Administration need to do a much better job of preparing these young men for handling interviews and screening what they put out on social media. Obviously Hatcher was not considering Louisville either, just kept them on his list for whatever reasons. BigBlue66..I appreciate that your wife says he is a nice well spoken young man but to me oomments like that says otherwise.

38. JayCee
    12:49 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

35- Are you asleep? It’s a spot-on analogy.

I want you to explain how it is wrong.

39. Beatle Bum
    12:51 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Well, UL has lost the last 4 out of 5 to UK. So, I suspect he was talking as much about UL as he was about UT.

40. SexnNursinHomes
    12:52 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I’ll mention this fine statstic again. From where I checked. UK has had two 9-win seasons in 52 years. Ouch. Dedication to the program huh?

41. Beatle Bum
    12:53 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

By the way, this is embarrassing to Trinity. Too bad the kid just could not keep this opinions to himself.

42. Big Blue 66
    12:57 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

37. UKs problem is that when a kid says that, we all go, screw him, dont want him anyways with an attitude like that blah blah blah, but what we should do, is say, wow, the top recruits in the country, even ones from the State of Kentucky think UK is beat down loser football program, now what can we do to change that. But we just blow it off as the kid is immature…no, our program sucks and something needs to be done.

43. dick gosinia
    12:57 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I am totally OK with this kid going to USC. Trinity is now a pipeline for UL. Smell fans should be the ones mad that he spurned them. How much do we hear about Dawson and some of the others that went across the country to go out of state. Out of sight-out of mind. He will largely be forgotten except by family members and teammates at Trinity U.

44. Cliver
    12:57 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Saying that a panda won’t screw to “stave off its own extinction” implies a level of ennui, apathay or complacency that would cause said panda to lose hope or interest in preserving its own species (as if a panda could ponder such complexities); comparing said panda to the UK football program obviously implies the same. I know the team has sucked for a long time, but do you really believe that the program, as a whole, lacks the desire to improve? You’d have to believe that in order for your “spot-on analogy” to work, and I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you don’t actually believe such a thing – although I could easily be wrong.

45. Bradley
    12:58 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

6. If you don’t think that’s a classless way to tell a coach you aren’t coming to his school then I don’t know what to tell you. Then to say it in an interview is even more classless. All he had to say is thanks for recruiting me and thanks for the offer, but I think USC is the best fit for me. And I’ll say it again, any kid and any kids parents who want him to play for Lane Kiffin speaks volumes about them anyway.

46. Cliver
    12:58 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

38 – My last comment was for you. Left out your number, man. My apologies.

47. Bradley
    1:01 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

7. I don’t think we’re going to win this year. I don’t think Joker is going to get the job done. I don’t think anything the kid say is far offbase. It’s just classless. If I saw a mentally challenged person I wouldn’t tell them I bet I have a higher IQ than you. I guess some of you would be ok with saying anything as long as it’s true.

48. SteveM
    1:06 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky football has become a laughing stock. This kid is smart; good luck to him. Boycott UK football.

49. Common Sense
    1:10 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

You have become the laughing stock of knowledge. Saying “Boycott UK football” is basically saying “Boycott all UK athletics” which includes basketball! Buy your tickets sir, unless you want to be considered a fair-weather fan.

50. alex J
    1:17 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

USC (Tennessee)must have sent the cheerleeders in again to persuade this Louisville recuit.

51. JayCee
    1:18 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

44- Yes. Yes I do. B/c I’d hate to think that the alternative entails that there has been a long line of incompetent individuals that spans 50+ years in heading UK football.

Which is more plausible in your mind? UK favoring basketball over football or, goshdarnit, just good, old-fashioned bad luck for life in one particular sport?

BTW- a panda refusing to mate, no matter the reason, is detrimental to its existence and runs counter to its instincts. Explain that level of ennui that thwarts instinct.

UK, for whatever reason, wears a panda suit, and, according to your logic, is worse than the panda b/c it does see the problem, recognizes it and STILL refuses to help itself. Tell me I’m wrong. They either don’t want to improve or have no GD idea how to. Pick your poison, son.

52. UK
    1:19 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

This kid makes more money playing for Trinity than he would have at Tennessee anyway

53. SoCal Will
    1:25 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

If anyone cares about this 6’1″ midget it only took USC two days to recruit over him at WDE with Torrodney Prevot who is a long armed 6’4″ and quicker.

54. SteveM
    1:25 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#49 The recent 37% decline in season ticket sales makes my argumtnt better than I ever could. The real laughingstocks are the fans that keep getting exploited by the UK administration while paying through the nose to watch an inferior product. Enjoy watching UK games this year my friend. You should have your pick of the seats in Commonwealth. All the while Barnhart and Joker are laughing that fools will still pay to watch this crap they call a football team.

55. joeb
    1:33 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I bet he decides to transfer back before he completes two years at USC.

56. Common Sense
    1:33 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Siding with those 27% proves that you are not a true fan, therefore your opinion is inferior to a real fans opinion. Paying your K fund only makes the UK athletics as a whole better, if you don’t believe me then go see the new track facility. If you want a good product, you have to invest into the program. Denying to buy season tickets is obviously not investing in the program. So what do you want? Do you want Joker gone and take a risk at hiring a more worse coach? I guarantee that no Nick Saban-like coach will come here when he sees how pathetic our facilities and fan base are. So you will either get someone like Joker or worse, take your pick. Your boycott is having the opposite affect of what you intended but you fail to realize that.

57. njcat
    1:36 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

54. Don’t think Joker and Mitch are laughing. In fact, I bet Jokers pretty miserable right now. Nothing like watching your career go down the drain at 40. Mitch is not having much fun right now either watching his cash cow bleed to death before his eyes.

Matt Jones keeps saying the problem is a lack of in-state recruits. This kid shows just how wrong he is. If KY had the most 4 and 5 star players in the country it wouldn’t matter, because none of them would stay here anyway.

If Mitch can get his act together and start selling the program to the administration and KY state gov’t, and then get a coach in here that has some personality and vision – THEN and ONLY THEN will the program be worth your hard earned dollars. As it is, he just seems to like point fingers when it is HIS job to figure it out and get it done.

58. JayCee
    1:37 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

56- Bullspit.

Cal built all his facilities on donations.

Try again.

59. Maxwell
    1:40 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

After Mister Cobble owns Teddy Bridgewater and the Wildcats win by 14 points, I’m gonna be like “I told you so.”

60. Rich Brook's tomato
    1:42 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

56 – When the administration at UK starts supporting UK football more, the fans will again. You are what we call an enabler. I love UK football, therefore I want what’s best for it. By taking this stand, the AD will show whether he cares as much about the football program as the fans that expect more do.

61. JayCee
    1:43 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

57- exactly. Look at UT. They figured out YEARS ago that their in-state talent (while marginally better than the state of Ky’s) was not enough to compete with the other SEC schools in the south. So, they made the effort to expand recruiting and facilities to be able to recruit nation wide. Make kids want to come to UT. And save the BS about UT lately, less than 15 years ago thy won a NC.

UK, OTOH, can’t even make a trip to FLA to see a kid unless they feel extremely confident that they can land that kid with the visit. That came straight from Mike Pratt’s mouth ON THIS SHOW. There’s your difference in wanting to win and wanting to sell tickets.

62. UKBlue
    1:48 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I hope the people at KSR realize all this constant talk about football is only fueling the fire of pissing off the majority of fans. It is riling them up, but it’s just pissing them off. I really like KSR, but what are the odds that as KSR popularity has increased & spread, the anger towards UK football has increased & the ticket sales have gone down.

I do know one thing: I hope to God Mitch has got a plan in place, at least a better plan than taking off to go climb a mountain while the shit is hitting the fan right before the season starts.

63. JayCee
    1:49 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

If UK wants fan support, we want AD, BOD and Booster support first. Ball’s in their court. We’ve shown our loyalty over the course of 3 decades. What have they shown us?

64. Carl
    1:52 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Obviously Hatcher doesn’t like UK and used this as an opportunity to take a cheap shot at the football program. Let him learn about life with Kiffin, I wouldn’t want anybody that doesn’t give a damn about staying in state and helping to build a better program.

65. DREWBLUE
    2:02 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I have seen him play numerous times. Well worth every penny Trinity has put into him.

66. yaheardithere
    2:09 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

His opinion is worth nothing IMO. He will never amount to anything at USC anyway so who gives a shit what he says….He did have great grammar at that press conference though.. That a way Trinity! Cheat away..

67. Common Sense
    2:11 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Yes, private donations from big time people like Joe Craft, football doesn’t have that.
    I love UK football too, which is why I go to every game to support the players. The coaches want fans for the players, not for job security, even Joker has said this. By taking your stand, you are only making football worse but doesn’t seem to register with you and 27% of our “fans”. Mitch knows football is the big money maker, as do the fans, but he’s not going to get rid of Joker b/c he understands Joker’s plan and direction, which 27% don’t.

68. JayCee
    2:14 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

BTW- is KSR aware of the thread on Cats Ill about UK ticket office and the 77-78 team? Verified by a member of that team to be a true story.

Check that out when you get ready for a truer perspective of FB as viewed by UK Admin.

69. blitzedanddazed
    2:14 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Hatcher is a punk. He will be a special team player at best while at USC. I give him him two years and he will be back to the TARDS.

70. Beavis
    2:15 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

WOW,,,,and what did you say that drink was there Maxwell???? Dang,,,,I have got to get some of that.

71. HAHAHAH
    2:19 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

HAHAHAHHAHHA
    HAHAHHAHA
    AHHAH
    HAHA
    HA

oh man!!

HAHAHHA
    aaa
    I needed that LMFAO

72. JayCee
    2:19 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

67- Then Go. Get. It.

It’s kind of a big part as to why Mitch makes that $500k/year.

Oh, and I want UK football to bottom out if it has to. I want results, as I am that type of person. I, unlike you, cannot be satisfied with mediocre FB for the rest of my life. Spent the first half that way and it got me nowhere with this team… same place you’re headed with it. Good luck. But, I refuse to root for players on a losing team in an effort to garner good karma for any longer. I pass you the torch of frustration. This is my life, not theirs, and I’m running out of time waiting on UK to get their shit together.

73. gottodoit
    2:22 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Louisville’s football schedule is an absolute – an absolute – joke. That program deserves publicity around the state, perhaps, but to be regarded as a NATIONAL PROGRAM?

74. Trip
    2:35 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I doubt very seriously he said that to ANY UT staff member, at least not to their face. To be honest I wouldn’t want a kid with that much disrespect towards people who have accomplished so much more in life than he has so far on my team. Lane can have him. With his attitude he will probably be a cancer in the locker room. If not then so be it but the reward is not big enough to out weigh the risk on this one.

75. Trip
    2:44 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

JayCee, calm down. If you don’t want to root for them then don’t. In my opinion you do and that is why you are so frustrated and spewing negativity. Whether you like it or not it is practically impossible for KY to be a legitimate year end year out contender. It is a basketball school. Very rarely do you see both. Look at the schools that try? UT… the Vols are a football school and were trying to become a powerhouse in bball. Pearl tried to hard to join the ranks of UK, KU, UNC, and Duke and ended up getting in trouble. Look at UNC… bball school. made a splash hiring Davis and they too got caught doing the wrong things. You rarely see a school be great at both. We need to strive for the consistency we had with Brooks going to bowl games every year and every 4 years making a splash and having a chance to win the east or go to a New Years Day bowl. Joker had a down year but they lost a lot. give them a chance to bounce back and don’t turn your back on the program b/c they aren’t playing for the SEC championship (which is basically the National championship these days)

76. Rise?
    2:44 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone else notice that recruits on twitter were making fun of UK football? Kevin Maurice from Freedom HS in Orlando tweets: “Everyone took there official visit to Kentucky and they still aint get a commit…” “Kentucky got a bad recruiting coordinator …. No commits lmfaoooo” “When the season start August 20 I believe Kentucky will be at the bottom of there Conference” It has been retweeted over and over again boy other central florida recruits laughing at UK. What a joke this program has become.

77. Rise?
    2:49 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Goto twitter account @Mac_57 Where is Aaron and Masturbater I mean Messenger to pump sunshine?

78. Chicago Chris
    2:58 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#76 The joke for me is those kids are supposedly about to graduate.

79. Musehobo
    3:02 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Some of you all are missing the point here. If he really believes that, you don’t say it to one of your final 3 teams unless you’re a douchebag. You realize the relationships you have to have built with a team to get them to your final 3? Some recruiter’s been on the phone with him for ages, then you insult them like that. It’s not like some dude just came up to him on the street and said “Come play for UT!”. That’s a very disrespectful thing to say to a team that’s put a lot of time in recruiting you.

80. JLivermore
    3:11 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Sure, we can beat UL in 34 days, but then they still have a chance of going to a BCS bowl out of the Big East whereas we will be dreaming of any bowl we can get into on the back of a lousy non-conference schedule. If it weren’t for my love of UK, it would be very difficult for me to advise anyone on choosing UK over either UL or Cincinnati. There is just no real upside to being at the bottom of a conference, even if it’s the best conference in the country.

81. njcat
    3:11 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

76. doubt this kid can qualify anyway. how many embarrassing grammar mistakes and misspellings are possible in a 3 sentence message? lol

82. JayCee
    3:13 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

79- put the pieces together, man. USC, UT, UK then look for the lowest common denominator. That’s where these comments were generated. This kid is just a mouthpiece, but his stature as a player gives his parroting some volume. Not saying he’s wrong factually, just that I’d bet this wasn’t his idea.

Lane Kiffen is 2000+ miles away and punching people in the nose in SEC country and stealing their recruits w/o even opening his mouth. That’s what this is all about. Lane’s ego.

83. Cris in the ville
    3:15 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

No way that happened. Really said to write stuff about a decent kid and have no source of who said he said it. Really pathetic!

84. reality
    3:16 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#76 (and others). What a joke this program has become? LOL, are you 14 years old? UK football, since 1951 or so, has NOT had a joke of a season about 5 times. This is not a new situation. It is status quo. I don’t even care whether Joker stays or leaves, but to act like he has driven this program in the dust is just stupid. Brooks had some success with smoke and mirrors (since UofL struggled for a couple years, UK was able to pretty easily get 4 OOC wins each year). Mumme did it by cheating. Try a historical review of UK’s pitiful football past before laying it ALL at Joker’s feet. Just baloney…and the comments that some HS kids in FL made on twitter…well if twitter had been around under Curry, Claiborne, Mumme, Morriss, etc. you would have seen the same thing. Is UK succeeding on the field? No, but the recruiting is still improved vs. most of the past 25 years. LOL, be careful what you wish for! What happens when the homegrown coach is run out of town? Think any worthwhile coach is coming? NO

85. Common Sense
    3:20 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

First off, you need to read #75
    Secondly, you obviously don’t care about UK football now either. What else do you want from this administration? They pump millions into the football program every year but it just isn’t enough for you. Maybe you need to lower your standards and realize that we will never be a where you want us to be, especially not overnight. What would firing Joker really accomplish? It would actually damage the program, as of right now, than help it. But it’s whatever, sit on your ass at home and watch some Ellen if you need rejuvenation, and never root for UK again.

86. Beavis
    3:25 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Correct me if I am wrong. The argument that 27% of the fans don’t support the program seems a little low. Doesn’t CWS seat nearly 70,000 people ? By the third game it will be less than half full. You people that support this coaching staff have every right to your opinions ,,but the people that won’t support what they see as the football program heading in the wrong direction,,,well,,, they are entitled to their opinions also and they should be allowed to express them here without being called racists,,,thugs,,retards,,,fair weather fans and other names I will not repeat.

87. JayCee
    3:35 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

85- I want the admin to exert the same level of dedication to winning FB games as they exert on winning basketball games. If you say they are at the same level now, you’re a GD liar.

And, FTR, I don’t give a flip about Joker, actually. He’s not the best of coaches, but he’s only a symptom of a much larger problem. That much is evident, as is the fact that Barney would only replace him with someone very similar in skill and wage- Being that he gives not nearly as many feks about winning FB games as he does selling FB tickets. Again, an obvious point based on his own actions and remarks towards the fan base.

I want bigger change. The kind your simplistic and apathetic mind can’t fathom. It’s the reason some of get what we want out of life while others take what they are given.

Would you like a mirror to help you discern which you are?

88. UK 4 life
    3:39 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#84/#85 – that really IS the reality of things. Things are NEVER as bad as most people think they are and this is one of those times. I truly don’t think we are that far off from being a decent team but there is some great urgency to win from the start and we at least need to be exciting to watch and play to win vs. just keeping it close.

I too have been disappointed in JP’s first two years but I don’t think we can hire anyone who cares about the program more and will give it anymore effort than he has. And anyone who blames the facilities for anything is just beating the same old drums they hear everyone else beating.

Winning will take care of itself and I am proudly among the 73% that did renew their tickets. I have been a UK fan for over 50 years and won’t stop now. Can’t wait for 2012 opening day!

89. SexnNursinHomes
    3:39 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

85- I’m willing to bet you are a younger or newer UK football fan. No way you have sat through at least 3 decades of UK football and still hold the same enthusiasm as you are displaying. No way.

90. Common Sense
    3:54 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Mitch has done more to get what YOU want than any other AD, but it just still ain’t enough for you is it? And yes the dedication level is probably close to the same, I guarantee Mitch doesn’t favor one athlete over another, nor one coach over another (unless they are bad like Billy G). Therefore, he wants this football team to win just as badly as he wants the bball team to win. Barnhart pumps millions into this football program every year, probably the same amount as basketball. It’s also easier for big time bball coaches to be lured here, as our facilities and fan base are state-of-the-art.

91. Beavis
    3:56 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

# 89 BRAVO,,,,,and I think you are correct. Another thing I don’t understand is why people think Joker has to have 4 or 5 years. Remember Guy Morrriss ?? Picked up the pieces after the Mummee disater

92. Beavis
    3:59 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

What I should have said is he picked up the pieces after the Hal Mummee disaster ,,,went 2 and 9 he first year but was 7 and 5 his second year ,,, should have been 8 and 4 if it was not for the famous Hail Mary LSU put on us.

93. SexnNursinHomes
    4:02 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

90- Show me where Barnhart has pumped millions every year into to UK Football. Last major reconstruction to Commonwealth was done in 1999, 3 yrs before Barnhart arrived at UK. So where exaclty are the improvements by Barnhart?

91- Bingo.

94. JayCee
    4:09 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

87- No, it isn’t. So says the other 37% since 2010.

BTW- do you know how to succeed in tertiary olympic sports that don’t fund themselves?

You throw money at them when very few other colleges choose to do the same. Ta-da.

Here’s your Capitol One Cup.

Where’s my AD job?

95. JayCee
    4:10 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#94 was meant for ‘Common Sense’, not #87

96. Beavis
    4:10 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Well,,,,,those millions bought us a nice new scoreboard.

97. JayCee
    4:11 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

93- Wallpaper, Fathead stickers and a flat panel TV in the Nutter!

Who could dream of asking for more than that?

98. SexnNursinHomes
    4:15 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

96- haha

99. SexnNursinHomes
    4:15 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

97- double hahaha!!!

100. JayCee
    4:16 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Oh, yeah… Nutter got that new field surface about 5 years back… b/c the previous surface was so outdated/worn out that it was injuring players.

101. Beavis
    4:28 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Yep,,,,those fathead stickers are expensive.

102. Common Sense
    4:38 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Born in 92′ but I have been going to games ever since I was 3. So I guess you are right about the 3 decades thing. However, I understand our history and I am sure that it is frustrating to watch our squad have a losing record 90% of the time. The thing that just gets me every time is WHY is it Joker coming off a (5-7) season that has snapped everyone considering the past coaches like Curry, etc. Consider this, UK have gone to 15 bowls, 8 of them since I was born. That means from about the 1930’s til 1990 we went 7! We have doubled our bowl appearances in 20 years! I know it is easier to get into a bowl now, but assume it has always taken 6 wins. Now look at how many 6 win seasons we had between the Bear and 1990. In fact, from 1952-1992 we went to 3 bowls and from 1993-2011 we went to 8! So I again ask how Joker has made some many “fans” lose interest?

103. Common Sense
    4:45 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

91-101
    You three are the worst fans on this site. UK could go 13-0 but not get a National Championship like OK St. and you all would STILL not be happy b/c Joker, or whatever coach, did something wrong during the season. Get a hold of yourselves, we will never be Bama.

104. Beavis
    4:48 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Call me what you want,,,,,you know I am right. LOL

105. Common Sense
    4:54 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Beavis, do you not have a “.” key on your keyboard? You continuously put comma’s in place of periods and it looks really stupid. Just wondering.

106. Rich Brook's tomato
    5:02 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

35 years without even a winning SEC record! Why is now NOT the time to make a stand for the future of UK football? Just because we have stunk for 50 years is no reason to continue to be abused. Is it too much to ask to want our team to win 9-10 games every 5-8 years? No one is expecting UK to win the SEC we just want to have an opportunity to actually compete.

107. Flyingfish
    5:10 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

The real question here is which booster is paying Hatcher’s Trinity tuition?

108. SexnNursinHomes
    5:20 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

103- You’re 20 yrs old. I love the spirit, keep it up. In 15 yrs you’ll have the same mentality towards UK football as most aging UK fans. and those bowl games. We started getting more appearances once the NCAA made 6 wins bowl eligible. If you think 6-6 football should get you an award, then I feel sorry for you. Try that same mindset in the real world. See if being average gets you pay raises. Exactly. and frankly I don’t give a shit what you think about me. My mom hated me too. So get in line.

109. Common Sense
    5:28 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I will keep it up until I die, I don’t fade away like some people. And your mentality is not the same as MOST aging UK fans, just some. And your mom hated you? Must of been a good kid. Just do us all a favor, stop being a UK fan and go have some SexnNursinHomes. Pathetic.

110. SexnNursinHomes
    5:30 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

109- hahaha, good stuff there kiddo.

111. JayCee
    5:44 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

102- So many things…

First, you’ve failed to take into consideration the number of games in a regular season was only 10 up until sometime in the mid-to-late 1980’s (I think). Still the same number of SEC games, but an added patsy for a win makes all the difference when looking for just 6 wins and a bowl berth. Filter out Curry’s option years and Mumme’s sanction recovery years and you can see where UK was able to take advantage of that extra win when they could… since it has been available for the last ~25 years… which, basically, coincides with your entire UK FB fan career.

Second, Why now? Multiple reasons. As you’ve pointed out, the past 10 years have, arguably, been the best ever for UK football. The problem most seem to have with the admin is not taking advantage of that fact when the iron was still hot, so to speak. The program was never an easier sell and Mitch missed (intentionally or otherwise) an opportunity to capitalize on that when RB retired. Not only that, but he openly mocked his own unhappy fan base with his “microwave” comments when they called him out on his obviously bad hire. Bad form in the information age where nothing is safe from prying eyes and ears. He then promptly followed that comment up with a huge FU letter to the fans after the UT win. After we’d just set records in attendance and been to 6 straight bowls, he pulls this pompous attitude with the fans and most didn’t see it as currying favor.

Moreover, we’re tired of losing, man. 1992? Please. You can’t even sniff my misery, son. Besides, we’ve recently tasted winning and we liked it. Then we were forced to helplessly watch as all its fruits were washed away in the name of saving a few pennies with a good-ole-boy hire. Plus, there were Mitch’s own words ON THIS SHOW saying UK has plenty of money to hire a big name coach ($5mil was HIS number, not mine), they just don’t have the facilities to attract one. Again, these are his words. Followed by excuse after excuse asto why UK can’t get funding/bonding for new football facilities… all the while the Basketball team is running out of room to build more new buildings and every other school in the state is funneling money into their own FB programs. And lets not even begin to approach the way they tried to reward those same fans for their loyalty by annual increases in ticket, parking and k-fund donations after those bowl appearances.

That’s why. UK has been caught with their pants down (taking advantage of their fans) and some of us are not willing to let them off the hook just yet.

We don’t know what UK FB could be if they really tried… b/c we’ve never seen UK FB really try before.

112. JayCee
    5:59 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Common- UK football, as of now and forever, is a ponzi scheme. The sooner you figure that out, the more money you can start saving for retirement.

I just turned 40 last week. And I can GUARANDAMNTEE you, knowing what I now know, I’d sure as all hell rather have that wasted UK tailgating money in a bank somewhere.

Don’t let your pride and delusions of grandeur in UK FB rob you of as much as it’s robbed me. You prove nothing with your longevity and stand to loose a lot more than just pride. They don’t give a shit about you, man. Always remember that.

113. The real onemaco
    6:15 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Does this kid know his Head coach was a Tenn.earlier this year?Does he also know the guy recruiting him was from UK,sounds like a rhodes scholar(im not one either).good luck pulling splinters out cha ass untill you flunk out of school champ.On the other hand is a college degree worth anything anymore just smile and ask if we want our meal supersized :0

114. Me
    7:45 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

“Buy your tickets or be considered a fair weathered fan.”.

What a hilarious viewpoint. From my point of view, Kentucky has to earn my $2,500. I don’t owe them anything. I am a fan because I choose to be. They will earn my dollars again when they’re worth watching. As great as beating Tennessee was last year, the game itself was pitiful, with UK conceding the passing game and Tennessee confirming it was only a shadow of it’s former self by displaying futility in stopping a one trick pony offense. I will never sit through a miserable season like that ever again. Instead, I’m taking my family to the beach for two weeks, building memories with them that do not revolve around how Morgan can’t pass or EJ can’t catch or UK can’t move the ball or stop the run or Joker can’t coach. I’ll live my life, flip on the game, and if they’re down 21 in the 1st quarter (which they will be more games than one this season), I’ll turn the game off, go have some fun, and keep on living my life. When it’s enjoyable to spend money in the team again, my dollars will be there. Why is UK football the only entertainment out there where people don’t expect to get what they pay for, which in this case is quality SEC football?

115. thenamerobdigity
    9:29 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Considering there are 5 DE’s in USC’s class all ranked in the top 10 in their position… He better be good or will rarely see the field.

116. Yabba Do
    10:44 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I hate what that kid said, but I’m damn glad he said it. We’re the joke of the SEC, and it’s because we set by and watched our administration make it so.

117. TakethoseonionsoffmyslidersTimTi
    10:59 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

In other words, Hey Joker, you never had a chance!! Can we skip football as a sport?

118. Issel's two front teeth
    10:59 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

All these thought provoking comments are great, but I have two words for you…….Mike Leach! Puts a great product on the field, that fans like to watch. The recruits, and the fans will show up.

119. TakethoseonionsoffmyslidersTimTi
    11:03 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#114, well said!! We all feel the same as you. We owe UK nothing because they haven’t provided a program worth paying to see!

120. Cats 110247
    1:41 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Louisville isn’t a part of the state of Kentucky? Get the facts correct when talking about in state talent.

121. UK fandb
    1:50 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Number 114, do me and all other UK fans a favor. Each year spend your $2500 at the beach for the rest of your life. May your family enjoy sunny weather and you enjoy your fair weather forever. We don’t need or want people like you in the BBN!

122. Me
    8:25 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#121. I can promise you that the administration is praying for exactly the opposite. They don’t want the money train flying off the tracks. The administration has played dirty pool with us by tugging on our heartstrings while they pay nearly the cheapest price for coaches in SEC football and have one of the worst recruiting budgets in SEC football. “Come out and support your team” they say, when the truth of the matter is that it is their team and the consequences for their lack of investment in the team is the reason why we’re having this discussion in the first place, and the reason why the coaches are in the position of having to lie to recruits when trying to sell a subpar program to 18 year olds and their families who are making the biggest decision of their lives.

The sooner the administration realizes that mediocrity is no longer acceptable to the people like me who have paid 10s of thousands of dollars to sit through futility the better. The dollars and commitment to quality personnel and facilities will never happen if the fan base continues to spend their entertainment dollar on sub par results. Dollars are votes. Only if the fans continue to vote their displeasure will any meaningful change occur to the status quo.