You know you want some Bracketology

The newest product of Joe Lunardi having the easiest job in the world came out today, and it doesn’t contain any surprises as far as the Cats are concerned. They’re still penciled in as a #1 seed playing in the Chicken Shack, which is hopefully how it turns out because there would be nothing better than driving five minutes from my house to watch Kentucky in an NCAA tournament game. I’ll just have to start saving my pennies now. The other 1-seeds are Syracuse, North Carolina and Ohio State, and here’s how UK’s projected bracket looks:

It’s not an awful bracket, especially because the 8/9 game offers no serious threat in Wisconsin or Dayton. However, UConn is a team that could be one of the best in the country, so seeing them as a 4-seed in the Sweet 16 would be a little concerning. And Michigan State and Missouri, although they play two completely different styles, would each also be a tough out in a regional final. Of course, none of this matters because selection Sunday is still two months away, but the landscape of college basketball is starting to take shape so we can at least get a better idea of what kinds of teams might end up in UK’s path on the quest for title No. 8.

Here are the other notables:

2 – Indiana
3 – Kansas
4 – Florida
4 – Louisville
5 – Vanderbilt
6 – Murray State
7 – Mississippi State
7 – Alabama

See the full Bracketology here.

Article written by Hunter Campbell

I used to write here.

26 Comments for You know you want some Bracketology

1. wbguitar1
    6:12 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

IU, a #2 seed? Lunardi is drinking the kool-aid also, I see…

2. kdh2011
    6:12 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

I’d rather avoid Wisconsin in the 2nd round. They’re kenpom.com’s number 2 team. Certainly no pushover. Give me a Wake Forest style “talented team that can’t put it all together” any day.

3. mocha
    6:14 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

cats ready to hang #8!

4. manbearpig
    6:16 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

agree #2 that was first thing I thought when looking.

5. BigBlueSkyDog
    6:19 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

At this point, how can Murray State be seeded lower than Lousyville and Florida? The latter two will be bubble teams when March rolls around.

6. GoCats2
    6:21 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

I continue to say I am not afraid to play anyone until I saw this bracket. Yuck. Wisconsin makes you play ugly and I have zero interest in playing Dayton considering I am from Dayton and the worst experience I ever had was seeing UK lose to UD in Cincy with about 20 of my friends from Dayton. I still have nightmares from losing to Michigan State and UCONN. We are the best team in the country but this bracket sucks.

7. Harv
    6:21 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

8. GODSAZNO
    6:30 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

THERE’S NO WAY THE NCAA WILL ALLOW KENTUCKY TO PLAY TOURNAMENT GAMES IN LOUISVILLE. NO WAY. ONLY DUKE AND NORTH CAROLINA GET TO PLAY IN-STATE EVERY YEAR.

9. tdogg4033011
    6:34 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

IU is an average team away from Bloomington, who cares though ….. CATS will be on a mission
    come March. Bring em all on !!!!

10. Blasphemy
    6:53 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

That would suck having that bracket

11. catlanta
    7:01 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

how is it that florida is overrated every. single. year. they shouldnt even be ranked right now, much less a 4 seed. florida hasnt been very good since its back-to-back title years.

12. Tomas
    7:23 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

I know Kentucky is very good and the most talented team in the country. But UConn in the Sweet 16 would be unfortunate. They haven’t exactly set the world on fire but they would be a tough match-up. I want to avoid them and Baylor for as long as possible.

13. Ken in Middletown
    7:31 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

No. 8 – It’s better to remain quiet & be thought a fool than to open your mouth & remove all doubt!!!

14. Blueball'n
    7:49 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

Wisconsin is a very tough out , that bracket sucks if u ask me!!! I’m with u #12 Baylor can match up with our length and they r very athletic but by march I don’t think anyone can handle us if we have matured by then!!!

15. Harlan Ky
    7:51 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

WE HANGING BANNER NUMBER 8 BABY
    9 IS COMING NEXT YEAR

16. BlueHaze
    7:58 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

Does it really matter where we are seeded. Last season was a prime example of that. The NCAA will give us the worst seed possible and most likely as far from KY as possible. If UK fans didnt buy the broadcast packages and did not travel this wouldnt be the case. When you see that its all about the money you will understand why the NCAA does not give UK a preferential seed for the team or the fans travel abilities. UK draws crowds no matter what Region they are seeded in.

17. bung
    7:58 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

so…is it my puter or do we gotta login everytime now?

18. fb>bb
    8:04 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

You know they will give us the toughest 8/9 & 1/4 game possible.

19. barn
    8:33 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

i hope we can avoid uconn. they were no sweat until drummond made a uturn and signed. they will be the real deal and a bad matchup come march

20. James K
    8:58 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

We do NOT want to play UConn. Not a good matchup for us.

21. Guest
    9:29 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

Wouldnt want to play Wisconsin…. Exact type of team that would slow it down, control the temp and upset us

22. SeoulCat
    9:53 pm January 9, 2012 Permalink

Do not want Wisconsin in a second round match. Ditto for UConn in a third round game. The latter will be scary good come tournament time.

23. InternationalPhilosophy
    12:07 am January 10, 2012 Permalink

All you can do is go in as highly seeded as possible and let the buffalo chips fall where they may in the crapshoot.
    No sense whining about possible match-ups, you have to be ready for anything and anybody.
    That’s probably the hardest part of coaching a very talented team, convincing them they have to bring it every time.
    I’m sure that’s what Cal is drumming into these guys daily.
    No prisoners!
    I agree that UConn will be tough as nails in March. Jeremy Lamb is already a beast and will only improve. Of course the likes of Syracuse, Duke and NC ain’t exactly wallflowers either…
    One team wins six in a row. Point blank. Period.
    Or a play-in team wins seven in a row. Point blank. Comma.

24. docmartin_10
    12:27 am January 10, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think any team really wants to come up on Murray State…while I think UK would dominate inside, Murray could shoot lights out and give UK a run. While I dont think Murray would win…they would definately give UK a better showing they UofLoL

25. Dr. Feelgood
    12:33 am January 10, 2012 Permalink

death bracket, mich. st, uconn, mizzou, wvu, wisky, even temple and memphis could play with anyone. any of the other brackets would be easier. cuse would lose before the final 4 but it’s a cake walk bracket.

26. Voice of reason
    3:31 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

#9…You know we’re 0-1 in true road games, right? And IU is 3-1? I also like that we’ve played one road game and I still see comments on here about Syracuse not having an airport.