KSR student intern Caroline Hall was at UK’s practice yesterday and she grabbed some notes and quotes for you. This would’ve been posted yesterday when she sent it but all of us around the KSR compound had our minds on Sons of Anarchy and this slipped through the cracks. Please forgive us. It’s still good material. I’m sorry.
TUESDAY’S FOOTBALL PRACTICE NOTES
Caroline Hall, KSR Student Intern
UK head football coach Joker Philips held another post-practice press conference; he discussed todays practice and highlighted what the team is focusing on for this upcoming week, a big point for Coach Philips was improved play for the offensive line. Passing game coordinator Tee Martin and offensive coordinator Randy Sanders also talked about what they think about this weeks practice.
– Coach Philips says that he is pleased with the energy level that the defensive line and special teams are playing with. But says they need to look a lot “cleaner” offensively. Joker expects his offensive players to play a lot better this week noting that the offensive line is mad about how they played and they did take the way they “showed out” in Nashville personally.
– Joker also added that changes had been made in the way reps have been distributed at practices. Some of the younger receivers got more reps than they had been previously as the coaching staff tries to pinpoint the best group of wide receivers.
-Phillips said his message to his team after practice today was, “We have to be focused and we have to be ready to play, you have to study, this is a different team from last week, so everyone has to be in to the film. The players have to do things on their own; out side of practice.”
– Joker also noted that Aaron Boyd and Mikie Benton are players who taking advantage of opportunities in this weeks practice.
– Passing game coordinator Tee Martin said, “He wasn’t surprised” about how the first game went. Tee said the players have a lot to take away from last weeks’ game. He said he saw the WKU game as a “learning experience” and hopes the players have learned what works and what doesn’t.
– Tee says “confidence is a big thing” and that’s what he wants his players to know. He says that he believes in his players and he is looking forward to the offense stepping up to the challenge and having a good game on Saturday.
– Offensive coordinator Randy Sanders says he is “keeping the hammer down and pressing hard and trying to develop the players they have.” The players need look past last Thursday and to lock arms and go out there and perform. Sanders said, “They need to focus on detail and to try and correct the mistakes they made and try and generate some cohesiveness so that we can execute.”
– As of today players that will be out for Saturdays game are Matt Smith and Billy Joe Murphy.
The themes for the practices’ that remain for the week appear to FOCUS, to clean up their offensive line, to keep up the energy levels of special teams and defense, and to score a solid W on Saturday against Central Michigan! GO CATS