Wright State coach is a little bitter over Mays’ transfer

Wright State head coach Billy Donlon recently told the the Dayton Daily News that he would’ve been more loyal to the Raiders basketball program had he been in Julius Mays’ shoes. Mays, of course, transferred to Kentucky for his senior season after two years — the first was a transfer year — at Wright State.

From the Dayton Daily News:

I have no ill will toward Julius and I wish him great success at Kentucky,” Donlon said after a long pause and a careful choice of words. “He made a decision he thought was in his best interests. But what I struggle with is that I know what he was when he walked in the door here as a player.

“For two years – the year he sat (per NCAA transfer rules) and the year he played – this whole university put a lot of time and effort into him. The athletic department, the trainers because he had a major hip injury, the doctors, the coaching staff, the strength coach, they all gave him everything they could when he needed it.

“So, if I was in his shoes would I have made a different decision? Absolutely. I believe in loyalty.”

Coach Donlon may believe in loyalty, but he clearly doesn’t believe in playing for NCAA titles and chasing NBA dreams. If I’m in Mays’ shoes, not only would I need a couple extra pairs of socks, but I would’ve done the same thing and transferred to play for John Calipari. That’s a no-brainer.

[Dayton Daily News: WSU’s Donlon pushing on after losses]

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Wright State coach is a little bitter over Mays’ transfer

1. mocha
    2:09 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

get over it dude.

2. SexnNursinHomes
    2:10 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Let’s see how long Billy Donlon stays loyal to WSU.

3. mocha
    2:16 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

since when has the “part of the USA Today Sports Media Group” been at the bottom of the KSR homepage? I just noticed it.

4. Dumbledore
    2:20 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

2 – such a brilliant point. Coaches act so pious about crap but would jump at the chance to move up into major college basketball conferences, the exceptions being Stevens and Smart. And there’s nothing wrong with that. There’s something wrong with characterizing players who would move schools to better their success and exposure as disloyal. How petty.

5. CATSCATSCATS
    2:21 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m from Dayton. Don’t pay any attention to anything the Dayton Daily News puts out. It’s worse than the Herald Leader.

6. Blackhawk
    2:24 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

#2 – another point is, How come Donlon didn’t question Mays’s loyalty when he transferred TO Wright State from NC State? He brought in a guy that showed none to NC State, don’t be surprised when he bails on you. #Karma

7. SexnNursinHomes
    2:24 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

4- how true. So I guess if Donlon gets an upper Div 1 coaching job, then all rest assured, he willt urn them down, right?

8. JR
    2:24 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

We know 1 of the 100 coaches CBS has been talking to.

9. Will Totten
    2:29 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Its completely obvious now. John Calipari must’ve payed Julius Mays to come to Kentucky, what person in their right mind would use up resources for 2 years at a school with such tradition like Wright State, only to then transfer for his senior year to the defending NCAA Champions? Something smells fishy. Methinks Billy Donlon would be on the first plane to Lexington if UK came calling, but that will never happen. Sucks to be you, bro.

10. SexnNursinHomes
    2:33 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

6- well, because when you are on the receiving end, it doesn’t count. For example, iu fans mad at recruit who just decommitted, only to be happy when they stole Gordon from Illinois.

11. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    2:33 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Wright State must be a “Wright State first” type program.

12. Big Red (the drink)
    2:34 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Wow, I had no idea Wright State had a coach. I mean, sure, I figured they did – but you coulda told me his name was Elmer Fudd, and I woulda said, OK. Now, I can forget his name – much like most high school kids do that he recruits. Uh Coach, go win SOMETHING, and shut the hell up!

13. Blackhawk
    2:35 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

#10 – Similar to the old…It’s my ball play by my rules or I’m going home. Either way it’s sour grapes but I understand….I wouldn’t be happy either.

14. SexnNursinHomes
    2:36 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

13- right on the money.

15. The Dude
    2:37 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

3 – a long time

16. Johnny
    2:38 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone else read his name as Billy Donovan at first? Haha

17. dude
    2:53 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

He only came to UK because it offers a Master’s Degree program that Wright State does not. Co-incidentally we just also happen to have a basketball team.

18. Han
    3:03 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m assuming the coach is still working at the first ever job he had in high school since he believes in loyalty so much.

19. JEREMY
    3:38 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

WOW..Now we know one of the coaches for Jeff Goodman’s CBS poll! Only at UK can a situation like this be turned into a story like this, has espn picked it up yet? It’s called a transfer coach! It happens everywhere! Was this the first transfer he has had? NO..Did he do a story like this for the other transfer’s…NO! If the coach had Julius best interest in mind then he would be happy for him and then maybe he could say HE was the one who got Julius to that level, isn’t that what you would want for your player as a coach? Just a sore loser if you ask me, it happens at EVERY college COACH!

20. JEREMY
    3:46 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Where’s the story on Walter Offutt? He was a transfer from Ohio St and came to WSU(so its ok for WSU to get transfer’s) and then transfered to New Mexico St. So where is the story about his loyalty???

21. Jax Teller
    3:56 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

You mad bro?

22. Reply
    4:01 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

OK Drew, Julius is never going to play in the NBA so that argument is neither here nor there. Chase a championship? Maybe, but he could have done that at NC State. The bottom line is– when things get tough, Julius gets to transferring.

23. Rebuttal
    4:15 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

@22 Just like there was no way harrelson would be in the nba?

24. Laker Cat 18
    4:37 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

The kid just upped his career pay increase by millions simply by switching schools. It is what it is.

25. Oh Really?
    4:44 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

So if this Coach was offered more money and a better opportunity else, he would not take it? He would stay loyal to his current employer? Ok, that makes sense.

That’s what I like about Coach Cal. He think of OTHERS before himself. He seeks to be a servant, to help bless others, and if they (like one of his assistants) chooses to move along, then he will not cry, but HELP them.

26. double standard
    5:18 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

What a hypocrite! The article mentions that he ran off 3 players from last years team because they were not good enough to play. That is some loyalty coach!

27. ltothaj
    9:42 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

@22 when Julius was at NC St., they only chased tournament births, they haven’t been in the title race in decades. This is the first year they are even close to contending.

28. Head Bussa
    1:23 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

This coach is a selfish prick. If you care about a kid — and you’re a coach at Wright State — you gotta feel good that a kid is getting a chance to play at such a place like Kentucky. Why burn bridges with people you care about? Obviously he doesn’t care about Julius, he just cares about what Julius CAN DO FOR HIM.