Wrapping your head around a tragedy

This blog is supposed to be an escape; a haven for like-minded people to gather, analyze, and revel in all things Kentucky sports. You could say the same about a movie theater, which is one of the many reasons I’m struggling to wrap my head around the shootings in Colorado today. As someone who works both in the sports and entertainment industries, I make a living off people’s “escapes.” Maybe one of the most heartbreaking things about the shooting to me is that an escape is exactly what everyone in that theater was looking for. “The Dark Knight Rises” reached an epic level of hype this week, and I’m sure each of us knew someone attending a late night/early morning showing, eager to get their everlovin’ fanboy and fangirl on. While most enjoyed the movie and arrived back at their homes excited and safe, dozens did not, and twelve never will, all thanks to a psychopath who made his massacre part of the show.

Something that hits close to home for many of us was the identity of one of the victims: Jessica Ghawi, a sportswriter who wrote for the blog Busted Coverage under the name Jessica Redfield. Over a month ago, Redfield wrote a blog entry about an eery trip to the mall to get sushi, in which she got an “odd feeling” outside the sushi restaurant and decided to go elsewhere. Minutes later, a gunman stood in the exact same spot she had just left and opened fire in the restaurant. Houston is a mecca for many sushi and fish restaurants because of its proximity to Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. The water is so close, and fresh fish is in abundance. It’s served fresh daily at The Fish Houston, which gives our seafood restaurant the advantage of a vibrant menu of the highest quality.  If you live near Midtown Houston, you’re not limited in the excellent offerings available to you. But you must try out The Fish Houston! The menu is delectable yet affordable, a factor that will keep you returning week after week. You can fine here the Best sushi near me. Try our lunch, dinner, and catering menus featuring a variety of American and Japanese fusion classics to fascinate and delight your taste buds. Dine on the freshest, most delicious sushi and seafood items at our breezy and well-appointed The Fish Houston, savoring the moment. Our accessible restaurant location features a massive sushi bar, as well as a few addictive Japanese and American classics, including Gyoza, Tempura, Macaroni Gratin, Truffle Fries, Pork Katsu, Beef Teriyaki, and more. What could be better than our exclusive drinks selections to accompany all these delicious offerings for excellent value for money? She described her feelings after the shooting:

“I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday. I saw the terror on bystanders’ faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening.

I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.”

I know we all come here to get away from reality, and I promise I’ll let you all get back to it in a minute, but for the moment, read the late Jessica Redfield’s words and take a moment to reflect on this fleeting thing we call life.

45 Comments for Wrapping your head around a tragedy

1. UKBigDaddy
    9:44 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

I had just read about this before clicking over to KSR. Nice reflection, Tyler.

2. KA
    9:45 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Good post, Tyler

3. Lincoln Park
    9:45 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Wise words. What is it with CO and shootings. So despicable.

4. kentuckyrules
    9:45 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, this news in the a.m. made my day blah…Its sad and angering at the same time. I can’t wait for other articles to come up, so we can escape 🙁

5. westerncat
    9:45 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Such a tragedy, we need stiffer laws.

6. Pistol Pete
    9:50 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Thanks, Tyler

7. MileHighCatsFan
    9:50 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Nice article, well put. Sad, angered, disgusted that Colorado is becoming synonymous with shootings and tragedy. Totally speechless this morning, prayers go out to those affected.

8. 3 fan
    9:51 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand the thinking of the shooter. Just kill yourself and be done with it. Why do something like that?

9. RYNO
    9:57 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

What a horrible thing. To think that girl narrowly escaped a shooting over 1,500 miles away, just to be involved in the one last night is beyond tragic. Not to mention Canada has the lowest rate of gun violence in North America.

10. TravisC
    9:59 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Actual tweet from Dan Dakich–“Guy walks into movie theatre in Aurora Colorado..kills 12 wounds at least 35..wonder when guy learned this..my guess..dumbass video games”

11. RYNO
    10:00 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

10) That gives you a clear insight into the depth, or lack thereof, of Dan Dakich’s thought processes.

12. dukesux
    10:10 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

sadly, these incidents shall continue so long as ID10Ts (such as most Kentuckianz!!!) cherish their guns over-&-above anything else!!!

13. Prayers for them
    10:12 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

That’s some Final Destination shit right there.

14. Blue Bayou
    10:19 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

#12 and Dan Dakich make me want to puke. One psychopath goes on a killing rampage and people start blaming video games and gun collectors.

This is an unspeakable tragedy by a lunatic. I mourn for those touched by this mindless event and thoughts go out to the community that will be haunted by the acts of mass murderer. May justice be served appropriately, and may the world support the healing of Aurora, Colorado.

15. asdf
    10:22 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

12, In the 1940’s, kids often brought guns to school so they could go squirrel hunting after school. There was never any massacres. How did that happen? The ONLY thing different is the people themselves. Change them, not something unrelated to the real problem.

16. Carl
    10:30 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Nice perspective. Why are there so many mentally unstable people running loose in our country with access to guns?

17. HELLO!!!!!!
    10:32 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

“president obama being briefed about the shootings”….lmfao..if the government really cared about its citizens..we would’nt be able to kill ourselves and each other with tobacco,alcohol and weapons…then turn around and criminalize weed…a substance that’s weaker than beer. get your heads out of the sand,people….they only care about one thing…and it’s not us.

18. lexslamman
    10:33 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Look, this just happened 10 hours ago and I think it is probably too soon to have the inevitable political/cultural discussion that is a natural result of tragedies like this.

But after 9/11 we all looked for someone to blame and somewhere to invade before the dust had even cleared, and were providing support to the Afghan northern alliance that very evening.

So here are the two problems at work here: We have too many guns and not enough access to mental health care. Guns aren’t bad in-and-of themselves, but Americans have too many of them, and have access to weapons they have absolutely no sane use for. It is probably time for some stricter gun control and a better social mental health care system.

19. manbearpig
    10:45 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

You can blame the media you can blame video games and you can blame gun laws but in the end it results in individual choices and actions that each person is responsible for. Guns will always be available whether laws are in place or.net to try to restrict access

20. Capisch
    10:55 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

#12) That is the most idiotic logic I’ve ever heard. First of all, if you have not noticed this shooting occurred on Colorado not Kentucky. So to make some inflammatory statement about your so-called “Kentuckianz” is completely uncalled for. Second by the very nature of your argument you must believe that cars should be outlawed as well since so many people who cherish their cars are killed daily by automobiles. There are millions of responsible gun owners across the nation and though these horrific and barbaric massacres sadly do occur, outlawing guns is not the answer. These crazed lunatics will find a way to carryout their hateful acts whether or not guns are accessible and one may even argue that if guns were to be outlawed, the craziest people out there will be the ones to obtain firearms while law abiding citizens who follow the rules will be unarmed and even more vulnerable. Have you seen the recent headlines of a 71 year old Florida man you defended himself and potentially saved the lives of many others by thwarting an attack in an internet cafe. Maybe if more, sane, law abiding citizens were armed there would be fewer incidents such as this horrible tragedy which took place in Aurora, Colorado.

May peace be with the families and friends of those who lost their lives and those who continue to struggle to hold on.

21. lexslamman
    10:58 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

19. Not disputing that, but they will certainly be harder to come by if there were stricter restrictions on who could buy how many of what type of gun.

If guns were such a good deterrent to crime, how come more heinous acts like this aren’t prevented by someone carrying a concealed weapon? It is because the whole ‘guns as a deterrent’ argument is utter B.S.

22. tom
    11:01 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

20. Well put…and #12, you are a complete idiot.

23. manbearpig
    11:07 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

21 I disagree. Maybe if you are starting a new society and country and implement laws your argument might hold weight. There are already countless number of guns in the country and if laws were made do you really think that is going to stop people from trading or buying under the table deals in regards to guns from not only criminals but friends. I know many people myself includes that have bought guns from friends who were selling their weapons for various reasons and not once did we have a third party help conduct the transaction

24. lexslamman
    11:13 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

23. When the U.S. found out there were a number of sleeper cells of domestic and international terrorists around the couuntry, they didn’t decide not to crack down on them because they already existed. When state and local governments found out DDT was toxic they didn’t wait to ban the chemical just because of its wide-spread use in agriculture. When we found out that crack cocaine was already widespread in many urban neighborhoods, that didn’t deter the DEA and local police departments from rounding up dealers and users. Under the table deals will always happen with any type of illegal contraband – that does not constitute a legitimate argument for legalization.

25. manbearpig
    11:16 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

How’s that DEA war on drugs.going? The difference is this involves a constitutional amendment that would bring out voters in drives.on both sides and do you really seeing states adopting to stricter gun laws overall ESP in the South and the Midwest?

26. In Denver
    11:21 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for posting Tyler. Being a Denver resident (Lexington native), it was a hard thing to wake up to this morning. Please keep all the families of this tradgedy in your thoughts and prayers.

27. jpay
    11:26 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

There are no bad guns. just bad people. I restore antique firearms and make custom knifes. They are just tools. No better or worse than a chainsaw of a hammer. Its how they are used…. Blaming gun collectors is akin to the protester outside the gun store with his sign that said gun dealers are accessories to murder. He is standing next to a kinda heavy fella whose sign said Junk food made me fat…. Arguement from ignorance. Oh By the way its aimed at number 12… As for number 19. Fear!!!! Its to easy to get a concealed carry permit. It takes a certain mentality to be able to pull the trigger on a man. Even in a situation like that…. To many people have permits out of fear and not for protection. I shoot combat pistol, Skeet, Tactical rifle, and extreme range bullseye at 200, 300 and 400 yards…. Ya gotta have a set on ya to pull a trigger on something alive….

28. Tuxedo Park
    11:34 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

umm, I’d rather he came into the theater swinging a hammer.

29. CATfish
    11:35 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

I wish we could go back to the “olden days” when a public hanging was held. After seeing someone get hanged, I, along with many others, would definitely learn our lesson at the criminals expense.

30. weterncat
    11:54 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

#29 AMEN

31. John W
    11:54 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

I knew as soon as I clicked on the comments there would be a huge political debate. At least it is not getting as hateful as some other comment boards are. It truly is a sad event and my prayers go out to everyone. Very nice article Tyler.

32. CATS
    11:55 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

27.) They are tools for killing in different degrees. They have no other use, but to kill.

Pople should own handguns and rifles for hunting and protection, but there is no earthly use for an AK-47 than to kill masses of people in droves. You have no need to have an insane assault rifle, tear gas, and grenades other than to massacre HUMANS.

Both sides of the aisle have legitimate arguements, the solution lies somewhere in the middle. If we as a country would not try to win every red vs. blue arguement totally we could actually arrive at real solutions and get something accomplished.

With that being said, my condolences go out to the victims and there families.

The shooter should be punished by death, preferrably death by starvation and snakebites.

33. Hmm
    11:57 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

32.) Yep, lock him in a room and leav ehim til he rots. Install a webcam so every freak can watch it, and just before he dies throw in a cobra.

34. barn
    12:01 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

sad. too bad no one returned fire.

35. yo
    12:39 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

32 People should own handguns and rifles for hunting and protection

^ Why would we need protection if there were no guns?

36. CATS
    12:55 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

Why do people have drugs if there is a law banning them? Why do felons have guns when they are not suppose to own them?

Because people will have them no matter what. There are means to get them. You will need the protection at some point even if guns were banned.

What you just said makes my overall point correct. Your on the left side of the argument screaming to ban all guns, however the solution is not that simple. Just as giving every man, woman, and child an assault rifle is not the dead on answer as well. Life is not black or white just many shades of gray.

Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and think about the situation instead of repeating talking points.

37. CATS
    12:55 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

Post 36. was pointed to post 35. by the way.

38. bluebiscuit
    1:23 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

There probably is a sign on every door to that theatre complex saying no weapons allowed on the premises. Boy, that sign really protected those people. This guy didn’t pay any attention to that sign. What if other people sitting in that theatre could have pulled out a gun and wiped him out before he got off a shot? Killers like this guy are big cowards who look for groups of unsuspecting and unprepared people sitting in schools, churches, theatres, and offices. Take away his guns, and maybe he would have just set up some explosives and blew the place up, like he has rigged up in his apartment. Outlawing guns doesn’t stop crazy people from doing something crazy. All it does is keep law-abiding citizens from being able to defend themselves from the nuts.

39. DerbyDemon
    1:26 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

To coin a phrase from comedian Eddie Izzard: “Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. That may be so, but I think the gun helps.”

40. Bubba Earl
    1:27 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

I can somewhat relate to that story I dropped a friend off in the Highlands of Louisville after High School on April 3, 1974. I never realized at the time I would be near “ground zero” of the largest tornadic event in Louisville history. One hour after dropoff the area was decimated, I still feel lucky to this day!

41. jpay
    1:44 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

@32, coupdn’t agree with you more. I have no problem with an assault rifle ban. Useless ugly weapons. If shit hits the fan you AK is gonna be worth what ever it weighs in scrap. Nothing but stamped steel. You couldn’t give me one. I have buddies who would lose there minds if they heard me say wouldn’t have an AR either…. Poodle killer. Guns are tools but every firarm I own is a work of art. Wouldn’t have it any other way. I hunt for the table, Not for Trophy’s which is terrible from a game management standpoint. I am hearing inpaired and I just enjoy shooting for the shear joy of it…. I am a CCPH I have never pulled my gun… Hope I never have to. I have been an NRA member for years but this election cycle has led to to reconsider my membership…. My condolences to the families who lost loved ones…. To bad they don’t have Utahs exicution laws for this guy…. Firing squad seems appropriate

42. SBU
    3:54 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

How in the hell did society get you morons to argue for easy access to guns in the face of massacre after massacre? You will never be able to control these psychopaths, but you can certainly limit their access to weapons. What does it take for you people to wake up, a shooting down the street, a killed family member?? Would you keep arguing that gun control is useless under those circumstances?? Its a cop-out: “well we can’t stop everybody from getting guns so let’s not even try…”. That is a weak-arse pitiful argument… for example, we can’t stop every crime in the U.S., but if police stopped trying to fight crime what do you think would happen to our crime rates??

43. jpay
    5:13 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

#42 Bro just how stupid are you???? Have you ever heard of prohibition? Not only did making achohol illegial create the largest criminal networks on the planet. They still control most everything in this country. I am from right here… Lifelong kentuckian. Have an appilachian accent. I guarentee you I ca go on the streets of Illinois and get anything you want from a Barrett .50 cal to a 9mm. Easier then I can Right here. Cause it would be an illegal gun there is no way to trace them… No record of sale. Yeah that wil fix it. lets pass an un enforceable law!!!! You sir are pure genious….

44. JA
    6:36 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

It seems to me that the big debate here is whether or not gun crime would continue if there were more strict gun control laws put in place. Some of you have said that limiting civilian access to weapons will deny individuals the ability to defend themselves in the face of such danger, since of course any lunatic can find a way to get his hands on a weapon regardless of the laws in place. I don’t know this for certain, and I can’t cite any specific source here, but I’m under the impression that for every 1 person in this country that has used a gun to successfully defend his or her self from an armed madman, you have probably 10 who have perished. So yes, limiting gun access will keep some people from being able to defend themselves. But I’d be willing to bet that limit would have a more widespread affect on those who are looking to do harm.

If nothing else, can you argue against the idea that the system in place now isn’t working? And if you can, how many more shootings do we have to hear about for you to change your mind?

45. SBU
    12:51 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Congrats on the Appilachian accent Einstein. Now go learn how to spell Appalachian. It is not rocket science buddy: make something easy to get, lots of people get it, make something difficult to get, fewer people get it.