Wondering what Dicky Lyons, Jr. has been up to? Wonder no more.

fb_090906_lyons42.jpg

Over at UK Athletics, they’re going through a series entitled “Where are they now?” in which they’re catching up with several former Cats to see where their lives have taken them since leaving Lexington. First in the series is former Kentucky wide receiver and fan favorite Dicky Lyons, Jr.

After an ultimately unsuccessful endeavor into playing professionally, Lyons moved back to his home state of Louisiana and, last September, took a job in Grand Isle with one of the companies handling the cleanup of the BP oil spill. It’s not football, but Lyons says that his experience as a workhorse and teammate at UK has helped him through the sometimes long and difficult days at the job, where he has advanced from an accounts payable position to become the housing director of the entire island operation.  He says his playing days are over, but he would like to take a shot at coaching one day and after trying pro football, he appreciates his time at Kentucky even more…

The hundred-hour weeks have made staying in football shape nearly impossible. Even though Lyons says it wouldn’t be difficult to get back to his playing weight, he doesn’t see himself giving his professional career another try. Football, though, is something he’ll never shake completely.

“Working 14 hours a day, there’s not a lot of time to work out, but that little 10-pound beer gut that I’ve got now wouldn’t be too hard to get rid of,” Lyons said. “With football, I’d love to pursue coaching. Playing, I think I’ve put that behind me and I’m fine with that. I’d really like to pursue coaching if the opportunity presents itself.”

The experience Lyons had at UK has made turning the page on his playing days a lot easier.

“It was the best time of my life, especially after you go to the pros and you see how cutthroat it is,” Lyons said. “In college, especially with how our group of guys came together, it was the best time of my life. You realize that in the real world, you don’t get to meet friends like that. You have so many friends that you can always rely on and trust, guys that will have your back in anything you do. That experience at Kentucky is one I wouldn’t give up for anything.”

Obviously we wish the best to Dicky in whatever he chooses to do, and he provided a lot of highlights during his years in the Blue and White. But, there’s one highlight that always stands out and makes you want to watch it over and over. It comes from the glorious upset of LSU, and I think you know which one it is:

Article written by Hunter Campbell

I used to write here.

13 Comments for Wondering what Dicky Lyons, Jr. has been up to? Wonder no more.

1. tdogg4033011
    5:05 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

BOOOM !!!! now that was a block

2. Just Saying
    5:55 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

If Dicky was Black he would be in the NFL.

3. Neal in the ville
    6:26 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

Now days he would be fined $100,000 and suspended for 5 games for that hit

4. knightynight
    6:38 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

That video really excites me for football!! Bring it on!!

5. Gavin S.
    7:01 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

#2 do you mean he would be in the NFL if he were black because he would have more athletic ability or that he is discriminated against because he is white?

6. Mudcreekmark
    7:23 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

If Dicky was black, Dicky Sr. would be mad as hell.

7. Dr. Seuss
    7:41 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

Still the best hit I’ve ever seen in UK football. I was about 11 when Marty Moore played so if he had some better ones I don’t remember them.

8. Pete A
    8:18 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for publishing. It’s funny because a week ago I random messaged Mindy on FB to make sure he’s doing good since I was one of his academic tutors at UK back then.

9. Mark
    8:55 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

Even with all of the historic basketball moments, that is probably one of my top 5 all-time favorite UK sports moments.

10. ma n
    8:58 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

Dicky is my all time favorite CAT!

11. Just Saying
    11:30 pm June 2, 2011 Permalink

#5
    He’s PLENTY athletic.
    The NFL may not be actively discriminating against him but he never got the shot he deserved. The NFL doesn’t like white RBs and WRs.

12. jesco white
    11:19 am June 3, 2011 Permalink

I love the reverse racism claims “Just Saying”. Let me guess, if Mark Madsen and other 7ft white guys at the end of NBA benches were black they would get to play. The NFL wants to win. They dont really care what color you are. If Lyons would have really, and I mean really lit it up at UK then he might have had a better chance. I’m not saying guys are not overlooked, it just isnt about race I’m sure, unless you look at coaches, and nobodys saying you have to hire a black coach, you just have to give them a chance, and hopefully that chance helps them get jobs. Would Kennan Burton be in the NFL if he were white? No he gets hurt to much. When we white people are the minority I fear that many a right wing republican will start playing the race card. I have nothing against republicans, I’m just going by things I’ve heard Rush say, and the vast majority of those who claim discrimination for being white.

13. CoachLyons