WLEX reports that Strickland’s license was reinstated in April 2011

After being arrested for driving on a suspended license this morning, Rod Strickland maintained that his license was current and in good standing and that the department made a “clerical error.” WLEX decided to do a little digging, and found out he was telling the truth:

According to court documents obtained by LEX 18, former UK assistant basketball coach Rod Strickland, who was arrested Thursday morning for driving on a DUI suspended license, had the license reinstated in April 2011.

Strickland has been released on bond and will be in court tomorrow to address the issue.

59 Comments for WLEX reports that Strickland’s license was reinstated in April 2011

1. SexnNursinHomes
    3:18 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

That’s a shame that people were ready to throw him under the bus without knowing the facts first. Typical Americans. Guilty till proven innocent.

2. NotBobSugar
    3:22 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

This does not bode well for Kentucky. He should be thrown off the team regardless.

3. L1C4
    3:23 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Man Cal pulled some strings and got that cleaned up real quick.

4. Drew The Waiter
    3:24 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Phew. That makes me feel better. Although, it is WLEX, so we should probably wait an hour before we know if this is true or not.

5. The Heavy Hitter
    3:27 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Rod, call me! I think we have a lawsuit on our hands. We… (cough, cough), YOU, can own those [email protected]! Let’s take ’em for all they’re worth.

6. UKY
    3:29 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

At least the lexington police weren’t running red lights and killing people.

7. Oops
    3:31 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Good thing for the cop – this ‘situation’ didn’t happen to pitino. That cop would have been aborted by noon. After all, that’s how pitino handles little problems like this that pop up.

8. Michael
    3:31 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Who gets pulled over for not using their turn signal anyway? I see that at almost every intersection. Sounds like a witch hunt by the police to me.

9. 3cats
    3:34 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

#2 why should he be off the team is he had his licence in good standing? If it an error he should not have been arrested at all. This could happen to you and if it did should your company fire you?

10. quota
    3:35 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

#8 – Doesn’t have to be a witch hunt – coulda just been an officer trying to get a jumpstart on this months quota.

11. BPsycho
    3:37 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

#1 Yup. If it were Robic….

#2 SMH

#5 Pshh lawsuits, system is all rigged for good people to lose. I was in trouble for beating a guy that was trying to steal my car to death, ok not death but he didn’t need a car for a while. I’m the bad guy? Noooo, **** you.

12. Big Blue 66
    3:37 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

where are those idiots from before pic dick or whatever his name was and smoke & mirrors (which obviously smokes the wrong thing and too much of it)

13. John Calapari
    3:39 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

We are currently in the middle of a big lawsuit vs the city…..idiots!

14. Logic
    3:39 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Good thing for Rod the Lex PD is as sloppy as they are thuggy.

15. jerry tipton
    3:39 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Hey people, lay off the police. They got ahold of some bad information, it could happen to anyone, right?

16. UKChillfan
    3:43 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

I think we should make Rod produce the “long form” drivers license (sarcasticlly said).

17. Big Blue 66
    3:44 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

shouldnt blame the police, should blame the HL or the media outlets for wanting to break something that wasnt there.

18. BREAKING NEWS
    3:45 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

THIS JUST IN…

Lexingtons mayor just named Rod Strickland the new police chief of the Lexington Police Department.

19. TimeFor9
    3:48 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Ha ha 9 and 11 I was just messin around. Look at my name at post 2…I think JT is Bob Sugar

20. UKBlue
    3:49 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Some administrator is getting ready to get fired. Lexington Police & Media in general are as ridiculous & worthless as the Lexington Tow Truck Companies.

21. Joker
    3:50 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Thank the lord for this mess with Rod / LPD, saves me at least one day from catching hell from all the hillbillys with an internet connection in the state.

22. schwing
    3:54 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

in court tomorrow to address what issue, exactly? how incompetent someone is at record keeping?

23. schwing
    3:56 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

#8: rod strickland is black.

24. JerryTiptonSays
    3:57 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

What do you mean his license was re-instated? Are you sure about that? I was already to write a big story on the lack of morals of the UK coaching staff.

25. Lawyer
    3:58 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Yes its the Police and cities fault. Their lazy workers didn’t update their records, so an innocent citizen has to have this happen to them and had to go to jail briefly and pay bond. So yes, because the police and city can’t do proper paperwork, innocent people got briefly punished. BLAME THE CITY AND POLICE! SUE THEIR BRAINS OUT!

26. just today
    3:59 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Guess what? Just this morning I received a parking citation for parking my car in front of my house. I live on a court(cul de sac). About 3 cars a day come onto my street outside of the neighbors. My car was pulled straight into the curb, plenty of room to get around, not blocking a mailbox, not a yellow line on the curb or anything. I have lived here and parked this way 19 years. The ticket said “failure to park parallel to the curb”. My cul de sac is so out of the way that a cop would need a GPS to find it. Thanks Lexington PD. What a stupid waste of time! Rod and I will be filing a class action suit!

27. in this i believe
    3:59 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Hope this is all just a mistake. Rod seems to attract a good deal of attention, more so than others in similar situations,. unfairly or not I don’t know. I do know that every player he coaches gets better. Strickland has the gift of seeing how each individual part playing makes the complete game and then coach an individual on how to adjust. Very valuable.

28. wildcat fan 99
    4:00 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Rick Pitino caused it all

29. PlainTruth
    4:03 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

—-

***Why, Obama never did.

30. PlainTruth
    4:05 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

————-

***We could have hime produce a fake computerized copy, like Obama did.

31. Louisville Fan
    4:06 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Turning withouti a signal aint funny yo. sumby d coulda ben hert reel bad. jus try ta stop brakin lawz u redneckz. L1C4

32. Mitt Romney
    4:12 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

30) I got the same guy fixin’ up my fake tax returns right now

33. BPsycho
    4:13 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

#19 Gotcha. Comedy baby I love it!

34. Seriously
    4:16 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Why did he have to pay bond and also why does he need to show up for court?? Total waste of time and money. He should be getting a public apology from several entities!!

35. affirmative action
    4:17 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

#28 – Yo. Black folk do break the law from time to time. Just watch the local news in ANY city in the country…

With that said – I know Rod did nothing wrong here.

36. PlainTruthneedstofindTRUTH
    4:20 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

***PlainTruth you need to go find the TRUTH, cause u apparently haven’t found it yet…!

37. Insurance agent
    4:25 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

This is a big problem in Kentucky. Anybody that has had their license suspended for any reason; dui, unpaid tickets, let it expire, etc., and has had it reinstated will still show up on their MVR as suspended. I run into this problem 2 or 3 times a week with customers. It’s probably happened to over 100 people in the last two years and they still haven’t fixed it. I don’t understand how they can be so incompetent.

38. Bob Sugar
    4:26 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Well it’s great to hear that Rod Strickland was finally allowed to do what every other able-bodied 16 year old in this great nation can do: seriously how hilarious is it that an asssistant coach for the university of Kentucky men’s basketball team couldn’t even legally drive a car or operate an automobile of any kind. Let that pitiful statement sink in and tell yourself this guy is essential to Uk’s success. Hot Rod Strickland is not a uk grad or connected to UK beyond being a member of the coaching staff for a couple of magical seasons. Sure he has brought in some recruits and helped some players develope but he has been well compensated for his time and service. BBN doesn’t owe him one Iota. Have some dignity Rod. Man up a

39. Bob Sugar
    4:27 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

And hit the bricks*

40. cracka
    4:28 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

this actually happened to me once, i was pulled over because i had a tail light that had gone out (i honestly didn’t know it), the cop checked my license and said it was suspended … i drive a stick (wrx turbo) and was on a date with a girl who couldn’t drive a stick … cop made me call until i could find somebody to come get my car … had to get off work and go to louisville of all effin places to find out some speeding ticket i had paid on time like a year ago never got updated in their system … it was a lot of fun

41. PlainStupidAintNoTruth
    4:29 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Seriously? Fall down the stairs. Now.

42. rick pitino
    4:31 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

So, does anyone know if Cal is going to fire Rod or not? I can always make room for new people ‘on the team.’

43. Blame Game
    4:32 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Point of order: the drivers databases are maintained by the State. Not Local entities. The queries of those records are sent through KSP, then related. These types of errors are unfortunately not that uncommon. Perhaps Gov Beshear should stop patting himself on the back and fund the agencies that we rely on to keep some semblance of order in these days of “let’s blame everyone but the criminal” mentality.

44. Bob Splenda
    4:33 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

A much better, and healthier, substitute. Sugar only makes you senile, delusional and angry…and post on a UK fan site even though you hate the team…hmmmmmmm….

45. stan
    4:34 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Yean Ricky P. can always use another lookout. It’s not a bad job, pay and benefits are good, and you just have to work 15 seconds and it’s over. Come on, everyone outside BBN are looking for anything to slam us for. It must really suck to not be us right now!

46. Bigslap
    4:35 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

So Rod goes to jail, misses work, has his car towed (and cleaned out by the towing company), posts bond, goes to court the next day, misses work, and probably gets to pay a fine for not using his turn signal! Everyone or at least the 60% that do not know what a turn signal is in Lexington better watch out and start saving their money. LPD is on the prowl!

47. jymbo
    4:36 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

My nephew is on the police force and he is as crooked as they come. If they spent more time on the real criminals and start enforcing laws on all the illegals in Lexington , they might be able to justify hie salaries

48. stan
    5:02 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Good one #7. LOL

49. Crawman37
    5:02 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t think Strickland would be stupid enough to drive on a suspended license,
    He would have way to much to lose if he ever got caught.

50. Little Whoadie
    5:05 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond threw Rod under the bus without hesitation. Come on guys; you can do better.

51. Jus Sayin
    5:07 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

The sad part is that it doesnt matter now. He has already been publicly humiliated. And some of the people that were throwing him under the bus are going to keep doing it out of pure stubborness.

Plus then the Police let one mistake become two by still following through on the “Not using a turn signal charge” Even if he did that all things considered they should just let him goo with a warning. They do it all the time anyway.

52. Tommy
    5:10 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

I am a white guy, this is profiling! Terrible a citizen pulled over for turn signal. Then arrest him. Fire the ego driven cop!

53. Laker Cat 18
    5:15 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

They’re now saying his license was suspended in the state of Tennessee, not Kentucky (from the DUI). It is what it is people. The arrest now sounds legit.

54. Brow Down
    5:58 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

47 – Seriously? 1 – I doubt your nephew is on the force. 2 – The LPD is enforcing all of the laws on illegal immigrants that they can. Couple of things with that… The jobs that illegal immigrants are doing in our community are jobs that lazy, white Americans would never do. The illegal immigrants that the LPD watch, are the ones running drugs and in gangs. LPD is doing the best that they can with the funding that they have…..BTW, the Police force has had pay raises frozen for years and have paid 400% + more in insurance than they did 2 years ago. The police force is spread so thin that it isn’t funny. Cincinnati has a population of 1,000 more than Lexington and have double the police force….. Also it is “higher salaries”….not “hire”…which i assume is what you were trying to spell.

55. cats1068
    6:17 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

53- What’s the TN license have to do with the KY license? He’s driving in KY with a KY license, right?

56. Laker Cat 18
    8:10 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

55. If your license is suspended in one state, you lose your driving privileges in all states. If I put it all together correctly, he had it suspended from the state of TN because of failure to produce insurance at a previous traffic stop.

57. Sean D
    8:24 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Did he really think his license was just suspended in one state?

58. Bruce Pearl
    9:47 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

You think he has problems, they run me out of town for having a party with a young chick!

59. Ryan Loftus