WKU students get free tickets to the season opener

Western Kentucky University is doing its best to make sure there will be a strong presence of red in the LP Field seats on August 31. The school announced today that the first 4,000 students get into the game free with a student ID. The Hilltoppers had a very good turnout last time the two teams met in Nashville and you can expect a similar showing, if not even larger, this time around.

12 days…

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for WKU students get free tickets to the season opener

1. So it is
    2:08 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Thats what WKU is doing while we discuss QBs. Ugh!

2. Lame
    2:12 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

This is worse than ul and their $1 beer bribery or when they groupon their football games. Just looks desperate. Funny thing is that probably half or more of them will be UK fans #BBN

3. When I was @ UK
    2:19 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

(Mid 70’s)Students were admitted free to ALL UK home games.

4. 2kuk
    2:22 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

The attendance was awful for both schools last time. Western did not have a strong showing.

5. DH
    2:23 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

3) I wasn’t there in the 70’s, but in the mid 90’s bball home games were free to students and fball games were REAL cheap. But I don’t recall neutral site games being free. This is not a true home game for WKU. It’s in Nashville.

6. Wku student
    2:29 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

All western home games are free.

7. Hal
    2:31 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

2-um its wku. theyre not “desperate” theyre a sun belt team. of course they need to do this kind of stuff to get fans to nashville. atleast theyre trying to get as many fans at the game as possible.

8. When I was @ UK
    2:38 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

5: This game in Nashville was what WKU designated a return game for this series. Just sayin, the WKU students SHOULD get free tickets.

Hope they turnout.

9. When I was @ UK
    2:41 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Just wanting to see the place filled with student fans.

10. DH
    2:54 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

8) I don’t disagree with you. But I don’t recall getting free tickets to a UK home game that wasn’t actually in Lexington. But then again, I don’t remember ANY UK home games that weren’t in Lexington. It doesn’t surprise me that I wouldn’t remember, though. It WAS college, after all…

11. trey
    3:07 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

anybody wanna borrow my id? I can’t make it

12. Shawn
    3:14 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Glad I didnt get those tickets on the WKU side now. lol

13. EK
    3:15 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Who Cares?!?! GO CATS!!

14. bgcatfan
    3:25 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Many of the tickets that WKU is selling is going to UK fans. The group of 16 that I am going with is majority UK fans. We got are tickets through WKU.

15. Blue Truth
    4:04 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Piece of shit Wku fans are going to brag about their attendance after giving away free tickets. Lol.

WKU is a 2nd class school.

16. Rockfield, KY
    4:14 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

15. Easy with that. There are a lot of UK fans on here that went to WKU, including myself. It’s a great school. The football attendance might suck, but that’s not a reflection on the school itself.

17. catsfan
    4:26 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

At all home WKU games students get in for free with a student ID. This game is technically a home game for WKU so that is why they are getting in for free

18. Blue Truth
    4:28 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Then they should have went to UK instead of a nasty handicap school like Western. Their mascot is a giant period from Michelle Obama. Ridiculous.

19. I agree
    4:35 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

ALWAYS a UK fan, but 16, has it right. Yes, I attended UK and WKU. It was a money thing, in my day.

20. Blue Truth has money
    4:39 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

And will pay for my college education.

21. Billy Clyde
    5:05 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Wonder how many of Petrinos old chickens will get a free tix?????? I will be there trying to pick up a chicken and a job!

22. Darren
    5:06 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

#15 You’re wrong! WKU just wants more fans there to celebrate it’s 2nd win in a row over UK. Can’t blame them… I bleed Blue, but my degree says WKU, and I was born in BG. Go Tops!!!

23. shiznitz
    5:39 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

No hate for WKU on my side either. I went to WKU, wife went to WKU, 2 kids, 1 WKU and 1 went to UK. I do play both sides, and i can do that. WKU will show strong in Nashville with or without free tickets. BG is buzzing about Petrino, and yes he won’t be here long (if he does well and stays clean), but you can better believe the fans will support him. Every friend i have talked with that cares anything about football is going to that game-free tickets or no. Most of us have already bought tickets before this was announced, and that’s ok. Looking forward to seeing Stoops troops. Should be a good game, but i do think UK comes out on top. Ready for some college football.

24. UK2K
    5:54 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Hows BowlingGreenSportsradio.com doing, it seems everyone is on here

25. Want to See a Sellout
    6:02 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

Anyone know how many total tickets have been sold so far?

26. UK2K
    6:15 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

25. As of a week ago only 25,000 and it holds close to 68,000 like CWS

27. Abcd
    6:47 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

WKU students get in free to all WKU hosted sporting events. This is nothing new

28. Reality
    10:29 pm August 19, 2013 Permalink

The Big Blue will make the big red bend over and take it in a few weeks. Hilltoppers will be sucking d!ck.

29. Mars Bonfire
    12:52 am August 20, 2013 Permalink

For your information, Fake Dicky Lyons Jr WILL be in attendance at the game.

30. Bulldawg
    1:12 am August 20, 2013 Permalink

#22 It sounds to me like you bleed red. I blled blue gets thrown around a lot by “fans” that are not really fans, more like affiliates.

31. WKUsquirrel
    12:15 pm August 20, 2013 Permalink

Drew, you and some of the other people on here, are completely WRONG about WKU announcing YESTERDAY that 4000 tickets are available for WKU students as way to boost “sales”. This has been the policy from the get go. Here is a press release from July 30 which included the 4000 free student ticket information.

This is a WKU “home” game, and WKU students get free tickets to games as part of their sports fees. So WKU wanted to honor it as much as they could for the students. Go TOPS! I expect this to be a fun, close game.

32. nonukfan
    6:54 pm August 20, 2013 Permalink

#15 is the reason I am not and never will be a U.k. fan. I am a Tops fan and definitely not a piece of shit. Have been to every home game the last 4 years, got to watch Western beat you in football last year and even tuned in to watch the kitty cats lose in the first round of the NIT. Made my day. Most Kentucky fans are very loyal and not like this person. Hope to see a lot of people in Nashville on both sides. It will be good for football in the state of Kentucky if this happens. GO TOPS.