WKU professor tells students to wear red to class

A professor at Western Kentucky University sent an e-mail out to his students, encouraging them to wear red to class today. “NO BLUE,” the e-mail says.

The anti-blue campaign comes just days after WKU head football coach Willie Taggart took a shot at Kentucky but missed and hit his own university.

Taggart said, “Everybody wears (blue) and I hear people ask them why they do it, and the reason they’re at WKU is probably they couldn’t get into UK.”

Zing!

They might even take a class photo and send it to the Herald!!!!

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for WKU professor tells students to wear red to class

1. adam
    10:33 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I would make sure to wear all blue after an email like that.

2. DB11
    10:35 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

What he said

3. UKalltheWAY
    10:36 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

When I went to WKU I would get looks all the time when wearing UK gear. Seriously die hard western fans are probably worse than UL fans. They are the most delusional people you have ever met. When we beat them in basketball last year I had a friend tell me that if they had had more time they would have come back and won. I was like dude we gave you forty minutes how many did you need?

4. DIORIOS PIZZA
    10:42 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

OH MY GOD!!! A WKU Proff advises kids to show school spirit and pride wearing RED!! I hope WKU crushes Choker and send the Blew Bellies to the WKU bookstore for some new gear!!
    Talk about “delusional”fans….NO ONE outside BugTussle,Ky gives a ratz azz about ToothLess U.UK is the laughing stock of the NCAA sports world after the couch burning fans showed their collective azzes on national media.

5. Rockfield, KY
    10:42 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I hope every single fan of another college that attends WKU(this would be a large number) wears their school’s colors in response to this stupid email.

6. DB11
    10:44 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

More and more schools just keep shooting up my hate list. WKU is probably in my top 6

7. UKalltheWAy
    10:47 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

4- I see we should all strive to be classy like you.

8. LoLwUt?
    10:49 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

Trust me, the word class does not dare reside in Bowling Green.

9. UKfan86
    10:49 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I’m a die heart UK fan but I respect this professor’s email. They should wear Red and support there own school and athletes. There boy’s go out there and put in just as much hard work as our wildcats. It’s good the support UK but they should support there team this week and all the other days of the year wear their blue and white. I give this professor 2 thumbs up for trying to get some school spirit going.

10. Matt
    10:52 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

@6…how would this email make you hate WKU? Why not make an attempt to have your students show support for you school? Sure there are a lot of UK fans at WKU, and the majority of them are still going to wear blue regardless of what a professor says. @4, I highly doubt UK is the laughing stock of the NCAA sports world especially after a $7M dorm for the bball players. Don’t act like you wouldn’t have done something crazy if WKU had beaten UK in tournament last year. I know I am coming from different angles here, and that is because I grew up in Lexington, but attended WKU to play baseball for them. I wore UK gear (mainly during bball season), and let’s just say it didn’t go over so well with some teammates. With that said, I am a UK fan outside of baseball.

11. KYTurtle
    10:54 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I have no issue with the professor, but #4 makes my brain hurt. Can someone tell me where Bug Tussle is?

12. LouisvilleFan
    10:58 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

10 – post 4 is no WKU fan, he be a Card fan jus lik me. We be da best skool in da wurld! UofK toofless fans be a joke jus lik dey futball coach. UofL is sooo awsume. Your just jealus of us kayuts.

13. jeffnantz
    11:00 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

im a WKU student from lexington… die hard UK fan for life. I would wear blue any day of the week here and anywhere else! #BBN4LIFE

14. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    11:03 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

Nothing is funnier than a fan base with an inferiority complex. It will forever and always be UofL but lately IU has crept into the picture of annoyance and now Western? Makes for a lot of good laughs.

15. Jones Returns
    11:05 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I have to say I think his reasoning is very sound. Well thought out request. I see no problem here. I’m a cats fan, but i agree with everything that he said

16. Bob Loblaw
    11:05 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

Why is anyone surprised that a professor wants the students to support their school? I would worry if he didn’t.

17. cris
    11:06 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

Anybody know the name of this professor?

18. Jones Returns
    11:06 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

but, i still wouldn’t wear red

19. UKalum
    11:11 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I have no problem with this email and can’t believe some of your responses. 1, 5, 6 you guys are the reason UK fans get a bad name. Whats wrong with asking your students to take pride in the school they attend? I know I’m in the minority, but I have never understood not supporting the school you spent 4 or more years at more than some school you’ve never attended. Sure I have no problem with people cheering for another school but when it comes down to your alma mater you should always want them to prevail. As much as I can’t stand SOME Louisville (Jill) and Tennessee fans (not you macon_volfan) I can’t fault anyone for cheering for the school they attended.

20. Jack
    11:12 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

Joker Phillips is from Franklin, KY, about what 10-15 miles from Bowling Green. So this nimrod actually makes a stupid comment about a local kid that’s made good. Real smart. I don’t know what course this jackass teaches but I’m guessing that it isn’t Logic or anything else that requires much thought. Just a wild guess but I’m betting Joker is a helluva lot better football coach than this guy is an educator.

21. tyson
    11:12 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

What is the big deal about a professor from WKU asking his students to support THEIR school? You people are mad about that?

22. Matt
    11:13 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

14—-WKU isn’t claiming to be absolutely better than UK at everything. Heck, they know that on a regular basis they don’t stand a chance in the majority of sports, but this year WKU has a chance to beat UK, so why not try and get some school spirit going. Also, there are a lot of people that attend WKU from the nashville area, that probably grew up hating UK.

23. Pu
    11:13 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

16) I agree completely. And I love your law blog, Bob

24. Clam
    11:15 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I am not sure why a professor encouraging school spirit is sign of everything horrible, from an inferiority complex to Bowling Green’s lack of class. If anything, KSR’s highlighting this in a “tee hee hee” way, and the unhinged reaction of several posters here, reflect pretty poorly on UK fans. Wouldn’t it be horrible if UK did something similar, like beg fans to show up to football games? Oh, wait…

25. Agree, but...
    11:17 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

19 I agree with you on everything except I doubt Jill actually attended UofL. Jill is probably too stupid to even get into that dump.

26. UKalum
    11:21 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

25 haha I actually worded that wrong I was trying to group her in the fans I can’t stand not necessarily the ones that went to school there

27. Azubuike's Bicep
    11:23 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I have no problem with the email. He isn’t showing any ill-will. It’s just a rally cry for the students. That’s all.

28. WKUalum
    11:24 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

As a WKU fan and alumni and a UK fan whenever we aren’t playing each other, I think it’s funny how passionate and hateful WKU fans get towards UK, WKU fans get way more riled up over UK than anyone else on our schedule. I mean, we have only played UK in football and basketball a combined like 6 times in 60 years, it’s hardly what I would consider an intense bitter rivalry but that’s what a lot of Western fans want to make it out to be. With that being said I love the series we have going now in football, and hope it DOES turn into a great rivalry and even a yearly home and home game, but it’s not quite there yet. Go Tops, but good luck to UK the rest of the season after this weekend.

And hey Calipari, get the Toppers on the schedule! UK, Louisville, Western, and Murray should all play each other every year, make it happen!

29. paducahfan
    11:30 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

It looks like wearing red just makes people angry.

30. Hoosiers!
    11:30 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

And neither student body could wear cream and crimson because you morons could never make it into IU!

Oh yeah.. Zing!

31. Matt
    11:33 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

28—-I don’t think it is so much WKU trying to make it a bitter rivalry as much as it is athletes getting upset about students wearing UK gear on campus, especially during the week of the game. Also, as I stated above, there is a lot of out of state students from the nashville area as well as Southern Indiana, and they never grew up around UK.

32. Hoosiers Suck
    11:41 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

Hoosiers—Neither student body could wear it because none of us would waste our time applying for that atrocious school with a terrible color combo.

33. nawlij
    12:26 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

WKU is a toilet school…they publish an under graduate applicant acceptance rate of more than 94%…UK, UL, Murray, and Eastern all have acceptance rates of 81% or less….you do the math as to what it says about their school, alumni, and the quality of the degree….

34. Scott
    12:37 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

I went to WKU. Lifelong Kentucky fan, and yes I could get into UK (or Vandy if we’re being pickier). I’ve got a friend who this is just the biggest soapbox she will get on. If you’re a WKU student or alumnus, you should support WKU. You can’t wear your UK gear on campus, blah blah. I’ll pull for WKU in every other instance, but I’m sorry, I have been a Kentucky fan since long before I knew Bowling Green existed. I paid just as much in tuition as anyone else, I think it has earned me the right to wear whatever I damn well please. UK does WKU a favor by playing them. It is a big payout for Western.

That being said, I don’t fault the professor for trying. WKU is littered with UK shirts. He was actually really respectful about it too, but some of the delusional people (the ones who chided me for saying WKU had no chance in the first round tournament game) can be pretty militant about it.

35. theKYkid
    12:50 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

last i checked this is america and you can support whichever team you choose…. no matter where you are

36. hooch
    12:50 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

Slow news day apparently.

37. UKALLDAY
    1:15 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

I’m a student at WKU and i proudly rep big blue here. I have never had anyone say anything to me about it. Could care less if people think it’s disrespectful… I’m paying to be here. But yes everyone is right about WKU only fans. They are a rare breed but when you find one BEWARE! Could have went anywhere i wanted to school but came here for the broadcasting program… one of the top in the nation.

38. Stephen
    1:18 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

“…the reason they’re (coaching) at WKU is probably (because) they couldn’t get into (coaching at) UK.”

Fixed it…

39. random
    2:08 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

The story in Bowling Green is that it was a student of the class that sent it out. That is what I heard for what it is worth.

40. Matt
    2:26 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

to 38…or the reason he is coaching at WKU is because he is an alumni of WKU and one of not many retired jersey’s for football. And being an assistant under harbaugh at stanford, and being considered a great recruiter, i think he could have had his fair choices of coaching spots.

To 33: Just because WKU’s acceptance rate is higher than the other in state schools, does not make it a toilet school. It is one of the nicest campus’s around and Ransdell is smart for having so many accepted because that just means more money being funneled into the university. My degree is a joint degree through WKU and UK because what I chose to study was relatively new at WKU, and that major has grown steadily over the years, with UK being scared of how fast it is growing because of the reputation it is getting. Also, the classes I attended through WKU were much more difficult than the classes I had to take through UK. One can very well say that’s just comparing apples to oranges, but really what’s the quality of the degree matter as long as you get a solid job of out college, because at that point it experience will become more important than a degree.

41. ukfan
    2:29 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

man o man what would I do to be in that class.. I would come in wearing blue shorts, blue shirt, blue hat, blue socks and a blue shoes.. 100%

42. Chicago Chris
    3:03 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

Nothing wrong with this at all.

43. WKU Alum~UK fan
    4:02 pm September 13, 2012 Permalink

As a former WKU student, I have very mixed emotions about this game. I am a die hard UK fan as well as WKU fan. I will be wearing wku gear to the game, because i gave my word to one of the players, but what i wear isn’t going to change the fact that my desire for UK to do well greatly outweighs my desire for WKU to do well. Personally, I think a loss for UK would be far worse for the program, than the good that would come for WKU if they won. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of love for my Tops, but I can’t turn my back on the team I have been supporting my whole life.

44. Coach Cal Here
    11:06 am September 14, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand what the big problem is here. It’s a WKU professor encouraging his students to have school spirit. If a professor at UK would have sent this to his students about wearing blue to class you guys would see no problem with it. I’m a die hard UK fan but this is the problem with our fan base and why people hate us. Let WKU have a little pride in what they do.