With Wiggins, Less is More

Some players soak up the recruitment process, enjoying the red velvet cupcakes, the handwritten letters, the introductions to Jay-Z or Beyonce or whoever’s hanging around that day. Some, however, shy away from the spotlight and the distractions that are often thrown in the path of choosing the right college. And naturally, those players often become the most desirable to coaches and fans.

Andrew Wiggins falls squarely into Category B. At Media Day yesterday, Wiggins showed off a poker face that would make Lady Gaga proud when throngs of reporters asked him repeatedly about a) his eventual college decision and the timetable and b) how a perceived “soft-spoken” young man like himself is able to handle the constant attention. Wiggins’ answers never strayed: “No clue.” “When I’m ready.” “When it feels right.” “I just deal with it.” “I’m used to it.” Polite, but not loquacious by any means.

So how does a school go about recruiting a player who seemingly doesn’t enjoy being recruited? It goes against every Calipari-instituted instinct I have to suggest anything BUT going after an elite player the whole nine yards- hiring a sky writer, having a girls’ acoustic group serenade him at his high school gym, and home-churned ice cream all seem completely reasonable to me. However, with Wiggins, it seems like the old adage may be the best approach: “If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it’s yours.”

Wiggins’ potential future teammates have intuitively picked up the star’s “Do Not Disturb” signals. Marcus Lee and Aaron Harrison both denied active attempts to recruit the Canadian to Kentucky, with Harrison noting that “he’s just a teenager like me.” Julius Randle was a little more hopeful, saying “I have no idea when he’s going to announce, but I hope it’s us.” Wiggins seemed to appreciate his teammates’ low-key vibe this week, saying any talk about next year was “all love, it’s all fun and games.”

With some players, you want to be about as subtle as a truck when selling the benefits of a potential school. Luckily for us, Kentucky’s history and incoming talent can stand on their own. We don’t really need to have girls painted up in the stands, or rely on peer pressure to woo a coveted recruit. We’re Kentucky. We want you. Come join us and win a national championship. It’s that simple- and with Wiggins, simple is best.

@KristenGeilKSR

Article written by Kristen Geil

31 Comments for With Wiggins, Less is More

1. HereWeGo
    7:11 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I’m usually excited to watch McDonald’s All-American games when there’s UK recruits in the game. But then I get bored about five or 10 minutes into the game. i have a feeling that’s not going to be the case tonight. After all this is more like a blue white scrimmage.

2. HereWeGo
    7:13 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Very few superstars have unassuming egos like Mr. Wiggins. Tim Duncan is about the only one I can think off.

3. go pack
    7:17 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

The title could also apply to KSR writers: less is more.

4. Bob
    7:17 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Is there going to be a Live Blog for the Mickey D’s game tonight, since it’s basically a UK game.

5. Ugh
    7:26 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

This would be great if he joined the team but have gotten more skeptical since Poyhtress decided to stay another year.

I’ve watched all of these kids play over the past two years in person several times (well that’s a lie, have only seen James Young once last year when he was at Troy HS and have never seen Lee play besides Elite 24 games last year). I want Wiggins as bad as anyone does, he would put us over the edge as far as intimidation goes. We’d have an average height of 6’7″ on the court and thats just nasty. Every player would not only be unbelievably athletic but have a high quality basketball IQ at their respective positions. If we don’t get Wiggins it is not the end of the world by any means. My roommate went to Cornell and he looked at me the other day (fairly big basketball fan) and said you will never be so spoiled again, even without Wiggins.

One more thing… I ran into BIll Self at Randle’s semi-finals games south of Dallas about a month ago- had my Kentucky shirt on and he laughed and said “don’t think so”. It felt so good watching him put on that UK hat two weeks ago.

6. Mack
    7:28 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Good post and not even one Canadian singer was mentioned.

7. ky_99
    7:28 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

@4 yes 9:30 and to #3 you’re a douche go away

8. i got a job !
    7:31 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

9. Cat fan
    7:41 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

So wiggins is kinda like charmin ultra… Less is more

10. charlie
    7:44 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I had a dream Wiggins accidentally sent me a picture of his penis, which was meant for a female and I used it into blackmailing him to be my best friend

11. Bobbum man
    7:49 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Gonna be a fun year…

12. Amberbock
    7:50 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Good post, I hadnt really considered some of your points. 3 you suck.

13. The closet
    7:51 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

10- come on out

14. Six Five & 235
    7:57 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

My sentiments exactly #14. In order to win an NT Wiggins needs UK more than UK needs Wiggins. If he is having such a struggle to select the greatest program in the history of CBB then perhaps he belongs somewhere else. We don’t need a prima Donna.

15. Six Five & 235
    7:59 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

What happened to the post I replied to? Has this board reached the point that we are no longer respected for our opinion(s)?

16. The closet
    7:59 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

14- come on out

17. Straight from Wiggins' mouth
    8:02 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I think I am it. I need no one. These teams all need me. UK will be nothing without me. Kiss my arse & worship me!

18. The Living Room
    8:09 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

#16, Your ugly arse face makes “coming out” a huge embarassment. If only you weren’t one of us it would be a whole lot easier.

19. Straight from Wiggins' mouth
    8:17 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins has a mouth large enough to encompass a basketball. If this retard does not know where he is going he does not deserve an offer from UK.

In order to win an NT he needs UK more than UK needs him.

Perhaps, he would look better in powder (UNC) blue than UK blue.

20. gottodoit
    8:21 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

19 – You, sir, are a Louisville fan. I forgive you.

21. Straight from Wiggins' mouth
    8:21 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I like players who have chose Kentucky because they want to play for us. Those who have trouble with where they belong don’t belong here.

UK is far, far greater than Wiggins.

22. Straight from Wiggins' mouth
    8:28 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

If I were an UL fan I would brag about having both men and women teams in the final four. I would also brag about UL having just beaten UF in the Sugar Bowl–a feat which UK hasn’t done in over a quarter of a century.

No sir, I am UK to the bone. If Wiggins is having trouble figuring out where he belongs he doesn’t belong here.

23. Cats,Cats,Cats
    8:31 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Remember, Wiggins DID ask for other schools to recruit him. Must not hate it THAT badly!

24. Cats,Cats,Cats
    8:32 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Give it up, 22.

25. Straight from Wiggins' mouth
    8:39 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Absolutely right #23. He (personally–himself–without prodding–on his own) asked for other programs to recruit him.

Fork him! In order to win an NT he needs us more than we need him.

What idiotic program–in their right mind–would think they need a player when they already had one/third of the top 18 players in the nation? Also, this program has two returning 5star and several 4star players.

Fork Wiggins.

26. Straight from Wiggins' mouth
    8:41 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Give it up “Cats, Cats, Cats–#24. No one on this board is as DUMB as you.

Fork Wiggins.

27. cbris bradham
    8:58 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

if , or when wiggins signs this will be cals unbeaten team he said is is going after! no team in the country will touch this team,watching team workouts will be better then the games!!!

28. Straight from Wiggins' mouth
    9:04 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

#27, if he wants to be at UK he should say so, instead of saying all teams are the same to him.

He needs UK (in order to win an NT, regardless of wherever else else he might go) more than UK needs him.

If I wanted UK I would not wait another minute to bond with them. They would know as soon as I did that they were my team.

Fork him?

29. Straight from Wiggins' mouth
    9:54 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Fork Wiggins. I don’t want him. He isn’t tough. As soon as the claws come out he vanishes.

His mouth opens wider than a lion’s mouth. This is the same with all d-ck/suckers.

If this retard wanted to be at UK he should BEG to do so. He has (loser) written all over him.

If this “frigging little retard” believes he can go to another program that will beat Randle; Andrew; Aaron; Young; Lee; Johnson; Wiltjer; WCS; Poythress, (nine 5 stars, plus four 4 stars) then he deserves to go to a losing program.

In all honesty, what player believes he is higher in importance than (9) five star players? OR, a total of 57 stars for 13 players.

I want this little retard to go somewhere else.

30. gowiggins!
    10:45 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

“Straight from Wiggins mouth” is an example of ku, unc, or florida state fans coming on here saying things, pretending to be uk fans. Don’t listen to 29. UK fans want wiggins! Getting sick of moderators not cutting them out… do your job your making us look bad.

31. Rae
    11:48 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

29. If you are True Blue, let me just say this. This kid has handlers. He has people marketing him. He might hate all the hooplah, but the people running his show don’t. It might not be him putting it off so much as the people around him telling him to wait. Lots of our guys have waited until late to pick us. Jones picked up a Washington hat. Wall waited a long time. Waiting doesn’t mean they don’t want UK. His entire decision process is being choreographed.