Kyle Wiltjer looking to transfer

kyle-wiltjer-three-163ce98291a896a1

Coach Cal announced on his website this afternoon that Kyle Wiljter will seek other opportunities for the last two years of his college basketball career. Wiltjer told Cal he believes he could have a more prominent role in another program and that’s the way he wants to play his final two seasons.

Cal said he is disappointed to see Kyle go, but will support him and help out in any way as he explores his options.

Kyle wrote this letter to Big Blue Nation, via UKAthletics.com…

******

Big Blue Nation,

I would like to take this moment to thank Coach Cal, the entire staff, my teammates and the BBN for a memorable two years thus far.

Heading into college my dream was to win a National Championship and compete with and play against the best players in the country. Without a doubt, I accomplished both of these goals in my two years at Kentucky.  Now as I head into my junior year, I recognize that my new and adjusted goals require me to make some very difficult upcoming decisions.  Coach Cal has been everything I expected him to be, as I have felt very comfortable talking with him about my situation.  I cannot stress enough how supportive Coach has been during this period. He is more than a coach to me, and for that I am forever grateful.

During this next year, I will be working on my body so that I am able to compete the way I know I can.  I want to find a situation that will help me do this as well as play a more significant role, wherever that may be. Even though I might physically leave Lexington, I will never forget the support and kindness that everyone has shown my family and me.  It is difficult to put into words how hard it is to possibly leave BBN, yet I am confident that whatever I choose, I will give it my all. Regardless, I will always bleed blue and will never forget these amazing last two years at Kentucky.

Kyle Wiltjer

******

His three-goggles will be deeply missed.

Article written by Drew Franklin

138 Comments for Kyle Wiltjer looking to transfer

1. Joe
    5:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Any transfers out there that can play immediately?

2. Luke
    5:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

This hurts. One thing this team can definitely use is a great shooter, and Kyle is one of the best of em. Oh well, he’ll probably get a lot more playing time in the future at some other school. I wish him the best of luck

3. Chris
    5:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

More minutes for James Young.

4. ItsameMario
    5:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Nooooooooooo

5. Jonah Hex
    5:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I hate to see him leave, but he would have improved the most here.

6. bigabes4uk
    5:48 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

NOOOOOOO!! Don’t do it Kyle! This team needs him!! He was our last connection to a championship. Wow — tough tough loss ๐Ÿ™

7. Random
    5:49 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Well, damn. :/ This could end up costing us a championship. I know Wiltjer’s been a punching bag for a lot of fans, but every piece matters. Witljer may have been the best shooter on next season’s squad and may have been much improved. It’ll hurt to see him likely go.

8. NotLarry
    5:49 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I hope he enjoys all the playing time he will get in Jr College !

9. Drew
    5:49 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

He would have never played next year. His numbers were down in almost every category.

2012-13 v 2011-12: FG% was down 2%. 3P% was down 6.5%. Turnovers up.

He will not be missed on the court very much but he was a great ambassador for Kentucky and a great team mate, not to mention loved by the fans.

10. Houston Wildcat
    5:49 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Yes, I am an idiot!!!!!!

11. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:50 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wow, didn’t see this coming. Hate to see him go. I understand his decision though. He may have had to wait until his senior year to be “the man” and may never have got the touches he deserved. Good luck, Kyle. (Note: If he chooses anywhere but our rivals, I’m sure BBN will still cheer for him).

12. Big Mike in The Wood
    5:50 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

13. Gib
    5:51 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Why didn’t he redshirt? Confused

14. SeoulCat
    5:51 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA….that came out of left field.

15. BravoBigBlue
    5:51 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky will be fine. A great shooter? I don’t know about that. I do know he was very limited physically. Couldn’t guard anyone and a below-average rebounder for 6’10”. I do wish him well with whatever he decides to do.

16. hell cat
    5:52 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

And out come the ‘fans’ bashing on a guy for doing what’s best for him. He’s not a ‘wussy’ and he’ll be at a major program in 2 years, not juco. Wish him the best and thank him for helping bring home a title in 2012.

17. Jr. Ewing
    5:53 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck, Kyle! Don’t bash the kid for doing what he feels is the best thing for HIM. Wish him well wherever he chooses to go.

18. RealCatsFan
    5:54 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Any good shooting guards or forwards on the radar for Cal to go after?

19. Jonah Hex
    5:54 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wouldn’t he have just been better redshirting this year (like Jeff Shepard) and then still having two years left?

20. Whatttt
    5:55 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Good Luck buddy! Wish you the best. You would have gotten a lot of open looks next year. Good Luck!

21. Michael
    5:55 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I hate this. I really thought he was going to be a big key to us winning #9.

22. Houston Wildcat
    5:56 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Please forgive me. I have issues about being in touch with my feminine side and take that out by issuing super idiotic manly messages on a blog about somebody I do not know personally. I despise myself for it. Please disregard any further messages from me.

23. Dr. Wildcat
    5:56 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I blame Canada.

24. Bledsoe's Biceps
    5:56 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Can’t say it any better than what 18 already said.

Good luck to Kyle wherever he may land.

25. Stuck on Blue
    5:57 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

“The end goal โ€” the only true goal โ€” is success: reaching your dreams. Anytime a player doesnโ€™t feel like he can achieve those dreams with us, I feel like weโ€™ve failed him, not that heโ€™s failed us.”

26. njt
    5:57 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

This definitely does not bode well for Kentucky. It is not enough to attract talent but great programs KEEP it! A little birdie tells me there is a school about an hour down the road with a great coach who would love to have Kyle. One can only wonder if Cal sacrificed the farm for the NCAA championship a year ago.

Having said all that…..Good Luck Kyle! For those you cannot discern, the previous paragraph was sarcasm!

27. Confused too
    5:57 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Put me firmly in the camp that wonders why he doesn’t just redshirt? He’s going to have to sit out a year anyway now. Very strange.

28. BigBlue
    5:57 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I really hate to lose Wiltjer, but I do see it from his perspective. He has two years left and he believes he is physically not where he needs to be to compete. Even if he does improve significantly this year he will not get much playing time this year and only have one year left. He sees sitting out a year and training then picking it up somewhere he can get more playing time as a plus. I can see his point…either way it sucks from a depth perspective for us.

29. BigBlue
    5:58 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I think he may not be sure of his chances the following year either…

30. I'd bet almost everything I own...
    5:58 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

that he ends up at Oregon.

31. biggestukfanever
    5:58 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Well, I hate to see him go. Seems like a good kid. BUT, with him leaving….we did just become a FASTER team….just saying….

32. Teri
    5:59 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

This stinks I like the kid he has potential. Some times we focus on players that we “think” r the best and they turn out to let us down. No player is 100% great I hate 2 c him leave. What happened to getting players to stay and develop not leave us ??? Good luck to Kyle I will miss him

33. Rei
    6:00 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

does this mean Floreal gets KW’s scholarship?

34. classy
    6:00 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Classy guy … I will miss him, but will root him on. He is a Cat for life.

35. wabaco
    6:00 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

He’s still a kid leave him alone. Good luck buddy. Unlike all of us he won a national championship and did have a solid role on the team. His numbers were down last year, he is limited physically BUT he also has the experience to help lead this year which is obviously what we lacked last year.

36. Pull My Finger
    6:02 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Hate this…Kyle brings depth. Team mates love Kyle. I thinks he would have been a great senior player next year. I do wish him luck, but still…Dang it!

37. JB
    6:02 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

You guys need to go back and read more carefully (and read Cal’s response). He is exploring the option of transferring. Nothing has been decided yet. I agree that a redshirt might accomplish the same goal, but that might be the option that he decides to take on the end. Settle down.

38. Louisville1Cal4
    6:02 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Crap… Hate to see him go! He would of played this year, but would of been probably the 7th, 8th, or 9th player off the bench. Good luck to him.

39. Sean
    6:03 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

HEY ATLEAST POLSON WILL PROLLY GET HIS SCHOLARSHIP BACK ๐Ÿ™‚

40. some guy
    6:04 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Best of Luck, Kyle. Thanks for your piece of #8.

41. OneAndDone
    6:04 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer is a class act. He deserves all the respect in the for his decision, only cowards will put down someone so brave. He explained his decision, and to any reasonable person it should make sense. Good luck in the future Kyle and congrats on the Championship last season!

42. Indiana Tom
    6:04 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Hate to see this young man leave but wish him the best . Great young man.

43. Blue Truth
    6:04 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Man. This sucks.

44. GoForIt
    6:04 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Someone on his Canada trip really got to his head. He also saw what we can do and thought about it more. He thought about it after the season said No and went on this trip and it got brought back up.

45. Catscatscats
    6:06 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I can understand why he’s leaving, he’s not going to get any playing time and UK’s system is meant for very good athletes. He needs to go to a school like Duke or Gonzaga if he wants to be the man. The only thing that doesn’t make sense is that he says he needs a year to get better physically. He’s been working with top trainers for two years, will one year away from actual competition help him? I don’t think so, I think he just wants the ball more, the other stuff is him just trying to be nice.

46. Bobbum man
    6:07 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

That sucks… Hate to see him go great kid n we’ll miss that shot, can meet have enough shooters…. Wish him nothing but the best, might actually help his game to be the go to guy somewhere, make him work on his versatility

47. JHD
    6:07 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

At first I was shocked, but now I think this is a pretty mature decision for Kyle. He knows he won’t have the role, and thus the potential for development, that he needs to do well in the NBA. Sure, he’d get drafted out of UK, but he probably wouldn’t do well once he got there. Playing somewhere else gives him the chance to develop the killer instinct he lacks, and the skills and body to back it up. Even against the best players in practice, he won’t get there playing spot minutes at UK. Transferring could mean the difference between being Keith Van Horn or Chris Andersen.

48. Over recruited
    6:08 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Lets just call it what it is. He looked at the incoming class and saw his minutes disappear. As Cal has said many times, if you can’t play defense, I can’t hide you. Wiltjer does not have the athleticism, the strength, the killer personality, the speed or the quickness to play with the talent Cal brings in. Is that a knock on the kid? No, not at all. But we all know its the truth. Heck, Wiltjer obviously knows it. I said it before last season…you just can’t markedly improve your foot speed. And it showed last year.

49. NorthernKYcatfan
    6:08 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Dante Exum come on down?

50. njCat
    6:09 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

He made the right decision. He was not going to see much playing time this year w/ all the athletic bigs coming in. Probably best for the teaam as well because he almost always gave up more easy baskets than points he scored. File this one under ‘addition by subtraction’.

Funny thing is, he seems to shoot a lot better for that Canadian team than he has for the cats. Maybe he just ‘wilts’ under the glare of the KY program. Just too much pressure for a streaky shooter.

51. Chicago Chris
    6:10 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

My concern is that the pattern is that there’s no room for a player to grow. You either have to be awesome from the start, or next year’s recruit will take your position. I admit, I really hate that direction.

52. NKY_UK_fan
    6:12 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

How long until his Championship UK ring is on eBay?

53. Ajh
    6:13 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Man, he was a favorite, no doubt. I would really hate to see him go. Could have been one of the best shooters in the country next year with those guards coming in. A lot of open looks

54. Chicago Chris
    6:14 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

#54, I assume you mean that Keith Van Horn is the guy without the killer instinct vs. Chris Anderson? I know CA plays on a team of superstars, but google their stats. KVH averaged three times what CA has in his career.

55. Chaz
    6:14 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Really hated to see this news. Good luck, Kyle, hope you find great success wherever you land. You’ve got the talent and you got the props from Cal for working hard last season. Regret that you’ll probably end up on the West Coast and I’ll never see you in a regular season game. Hope you meet up in the Big Dance with UK. Good Luck Kyle. I’ll always consider you a Cat. That championship ring on your finger will out live us all, and you really were a part of it.

56. Brian
    6:14 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Why anyone is taking this time to talk trash about him is beyond me. We have some real morons in our fan base. He represented our school well while here. If he thinks he’d have a better opportunity somewhere else that’s his choice to make. It doesn’t mean he’ll end up at some junior college. That’s just ridiculous. I hope he returns. He would’ve been able to help our team but if not, good luck to him.

57. MadTex
    6:15 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Don’t blame the dude – no one around KY liked him anyway – considered him too slow, couldn’t play defense, etc. Wish him luck wherever he decides to go!!!

58. Simple
    6:18 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Damn. Sucks. Loved Wiltjer. Hope he finds what he is looking for wherever he ends up.

59. Weekend Reader
    6:18 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Damn that sucks, CAN SOMEONE ASK NEAL BROWN TO TURN THE AIR RAID SIRENS ON!!!!

60. Lil c
    6:19 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Well, atleast now he has more time to work on his youtube videos.

61. El Matador
    6:19 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I will miss his positive attitude and shooting ability when he is on. I will not miss his terrible defense…

62. Bspald
    6:20 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

A true competitior would COMPETE for minutes, not just willingly give them over to an unproven freshmen. Not the type of attitude this team needs. Later wiltjer

63. Lamont
    6:20 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Before the season starts,Cal will purge all NIT remnants

64. VaCatFan
    6:20 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

A couple of ways to look at this. Kyle is a terrific shooter and a solid passer as well, buy he is a major defensive liability and I don’t see that changing. It would be interesting to compare shots made by him with goals given up due to his lack of physical prowess. I suspect that the delta between the two would be a wash. My hope is that Cal has a player in mind to backfill and perhaps this is what precipitated Kyle’s transfer.

65. Good decision
    6:21 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Good decision for both… I loved Wiltjer while he was at UK, although I never thought he was a fit. Cal brings in horses that can get up and down the floor. Kyle’s first year was with Anthony, Michael, Darius, Terrence, and Doron. He got spot minutes here and there and wasnt exposed like this past season. He admitted that his body does need to develop, Im glad he is being honest with himself. Cal has said over and over again, “If you cant play defense then you sit.” I wish him nothing but the best, but I have to question, if his reason for coming to UK was to compete with the best, then why leave now? Again, UK is the only school where guys transfer or enter the NBA draft out of fear of the incoming group. There will competition at every level….

66. Blue
    6:21 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Cal nor Wiltjer came out and said he was definitely transferring. Said he is “exploring options,” and Cal even said multiple times he hopes he returns. Maybe he will. Doubtful, but who knows? I feel like it’d make more sense to just redshirt and come back the following year, but then again…Karl Towns and players TBD will be waiting in the wings. He’s got some real thinking to do.

67. jpbky2
    6:22 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kyle is a good kid and doing what he thinks is best. I wish he could talk to some of the players over the years that left the program and regretted it later in life. I talked to Julius Mays last year and he talked about the huge difference between a Wright State and Kentucky. (Travel, dorms, facilities, fans). It will be a big difference for Kyle wherever he decides to go to school, but he will always be a UK Wildcat.

68. Bobbum man
    6:22 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

59- like marquis Teague? Brandon knight? D lamb? Darius miller? Josh harrelson? Shall I go on? Just because it doesn’t take them 3-4 years to “grow” doesn’t mean they’re not

69. Ares
    6:23 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I really hate to see him go. I really felt with the talent coming in around him he would really flourish. I really thought this and next year he could be a lot like Miller his Jr. And Sr. years.

70. Colin
    6:26 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

His three’s will be missed…but that is all Kyle can do for this team. He can’t rebound…which is amazing for his size and he is even worse on the defensive end. Let him go and let us all hope he finds the right situation. He already has a championship…a second one does not mean the same as a first one. At this point, I can’t imagine him in the NBA…he will be eatin alive. Can’t believe I’m saying this,but Orton has a bigger upside than Kyle!

71. randomer
    6:27 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kyle – I really hope you reconsider and stay with the team, you are a huge asset and left your stamp on a national championship team. But if you move on we wish you the best in your career.

72. KurtNSoBe
    6:28 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kyles 3 goggles will be missed. I wish his dreams going into college included winning two National Championships. ๐Ÿ™

73. The only thing I can say is that Kyle hit some timely 3’s when we were making our championship run. There were at least 2 or 3 times that teams were making a run and he came off the bench and popped one from downtown. I don’t care what anyone says, this is a tough loss for UK.

74. Kristen Geil's Abs
    6:28 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Great kid, and we will miss his leadership and shooting.

75. Stan
    6:29 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

The timing doesn’t do Cal any favors. Season’s end would have been a much better time to make a change.

76. Smoov
    6:31 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

nooooooooo……i love kyle i expected him to be an assassin next year. i wish him luck

77. Skewed View, No. 10
    6:33 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

10- He played a TON more minutes in 2012-2013 season than 2011-2012 season. And everyone on the court in 11/12 was better, so other teams’ defenses were more focused on them than Wiltjer. 12/13 season, Wiltjer is one of the main go-to guys on the court. Defenses were harder on him, and he had a much larger role.

Either way, he hasn’t confirmed a transfer, and maybe he will stay after all. Kind of frustrating how the KSR staff are immediately saying he WILL transfer. Even if there’s a great chance he will, don’t say it like it is 100% official until it is indeed 100% official.

78. njCat
    6:33 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Its hilarious reading all the comments saying he should ‘compete’ for more minutes and should have stayed and developed his game.

Facts are facts… he’s slow as christmas and no amount of time in the weight room was going to change that. What really killed his chances at UK though was his TERRIBLE shooting. Hell, last year he couldn’t even hit freethrows consistently. I would NOT call him a shooter – and w/o that he’s borderline useless.

Smart move for him and the program.

79. Chris
    6:33 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

What does this mean for the WBA

80. Han
    6:33 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

If he ends up at Gonzaga, did someone recruit him there months ago, and if so, wouldn’t that be a violation?

Anyhow, good luck, Kyle. Put in that effort in working out and you’ll be fine. Thanks for helping us get #8.

81. Takethoseonionsoffmysliders
    6:35 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Sorry to see you go Kyle. Thank you for the memories and best of luck young man!

82. Weekend Reader
    6:35 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

#86 I can’t stand her writing but damn you’re just mean. Too funny.

83. Huntsville Cat
    6:38 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

My first thought… Well, now we’ve got an open scholarship for Dante Exum. Hate to see Kyle go, I was at the alabama game where he dominated in the first half and got to see first hand how well he can play. Wish him the best.

84. Gonzaga
    6:39 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Says welcome. The home of slow white boys who shoot lights out.

85. transfersInNba
    6:40 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I can think of 3 guys ever who have transferred away from UK who played in the NBA.

Shawn Kemp, Chris Mills, Michael Bradley- is there anyone else?

86. Katdaddy
    6:40 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

65 i agree now its we going to miss him so much.

87. STEVE!
    6:40 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I’m not bashing the kid, but anybody who doesn’t want to compete for minutes, or feels they can’t compete, won’t be missed. We had too much of that on last year’s team. I could see this possibility when he decided to play for Canada instead of work out in Lexington and develop relationships with his UK teammates. As many others have said, he could redshirt this year and work on his body. I also don’t understand his comment about playing a more prominent role on another team. He can’t play ANY kind of role this season on any team in D-1.

88. Cousins Fake Tooth
    6:41 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

19) I bet Jeffrey Daumer though ti was good for him to eat people. Did you ever bash him?

And sorry, I cant wish anyone luck that turns their backs on the program and walks away from the team.

89. alejay1
    6:42 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

bring on Dante Exum…Good luck in everything though Kyle! I guess now we know who was gonna leave if Wiggins committed

90. Jalo
    6:43 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

LOLhahahahahahaLOLhahahahahaLOLhahahahahahaLOL.

the good thing is, I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO!

91. Chris
    6:43 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Roderick Rhodes transferred and played in the NBA #99

92. Lil c
    6:43 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

That’s why he was playing on the Canadian allstar team instead of on campus working out with the current and incoming players. Should have seen the writing on the wall.

93. Seriously
    6:44 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Does Cal hate having a bench? Does he hate
    upper classman?
    I don’t get it. He finally has a bench and runs people
    off.
    I like Kyle and IMO this sucks.

94. Weekend Reader
    6:44 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Cal should let Vince Marrow have a little talk with the boy, I bet he would recommit to BBN in a heartbeat.

95. Lil c
    6:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

107 Cal didn’t have a bench last year and look where that got us!!! Surely he learned his lesson. The reason the Tards won last year was because they were deep, they had a bench full of players! Where’s this leave them now? 7? Maybe 8 deep? Smh. I hope this isn’t a repeat of last year! One more NIT and I’m cheering for the Tards!! JFK, but c’mon….

96. BGSteve
    6:50 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t Wiltjer call on UK, not the other way around? Sent a demo. tape and everything. I was hoping his experience with the Canadians will help his game, especially his defense. Hope he doesn’t look back and regret leaving if that’s what ends up happening.

97. Duuuuuude
    6:52 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I will miss him. Seems to me that a year as a red shirt, developing his body, playing against future NBA all stars in practice would have done much more for his future development. I wish him the best.

98. dgtuk
    6:55 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

40…. you do know what sarcasm means ? Right?

99. Duuuuuude
    6:56 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I just read the story…… read the story from Coachcal.com first. Kyle may want to return to UK. That door is still open.

100. Downtown
    6:57 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Interesting how he plays on the Canadian National Team, then decides to transfer…..in June. Really? If he’s really thinking of going, why now??

101. seriously
    7:02 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

F. This. Don’t go. Stay and get #2. Love wiltjer will miss him. Shut your filthy mouths anyone talking trash about him. Good luck Kyle. You will always be bbn. p.s. Please change your mind. Seriously the difference between guaranteed champ contender and just one of many with a chance.

102. Give me a racoon, please.
    7:11 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

This sucks! Please stay!

103. BlueDeuce
    7:15 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wow…do not like the thought of him leaving at all. We should not be losing All-Americans, rather we should be developing them and sending them on their way to the NBA. Cal was right, this is a failure for UK!

I hope he decides to stay…I love watching him shoot those threes! Yes, he needs to work on his body and speed but dang, he’s a pretty dang good big man when it comes to busting the 3! Even last year we got to see a little inside work from him. I think he is doing great, just needs another year or two to fully develop…nothing wrong with that and outside a few freak athletes each year, he is pretty normal.

Honestly most of the kids that come through UK could have stayed and developed more. Cousins, Wall, Davis and MKG were the exception but the others could have and should have stayed…..off topic there but anyway…hope you decide to stay and develop and grow with the UK program Kyle.

104. Barry Soetoro
    7:17 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Why are my posts deleted when I simply stated he could have toughed it out like Darius did through 4 years, 3 coaches and 6th man off the bench? He still got drafted.

105. Puhleeze
    7:20 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I just knew with this being a UK site that there would be comments dogging this kid. I was right. If you aren’t in party lockstep, BBN will turn on you. It’s all about appearances with this crowd. That’s why no one cares that UK’s “tradition” got sold out.

106. Lil c
    7:21 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

# 103. Long winded

107. Bob
    7:25 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Can’t believe this is the way he wants to go out, with the stink of last year on him. Sounds like he doesn’t want to work for that starting spot. Good luck to him.

108. Han
    7:29 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

89) Polson’s schollie was still there, too. This does mean we could recruit Exum without Jared having to give his up, though.

109. RahRah
    7:31 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck to an awesome young man! Thanks, Kyle, for #8. We’ll miss those long-range shots, the goggles and the videos. Wishing you huge success wherever you choose to land, but selfishly hope it’s back in blue & white.
    #BBNforever

110. Bspald
    7:31 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

104) because if your thoughts aren’t in line with Matt and his underlings you’re a trolling UofL fan and don’t belong on this site. Hopefully I don’t get banned for saying that

111. hate censorship
    7:34 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

How 1940s germany to censor threads

112. Danny
    7:44 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I hope he changes his mind. He’s our families favorite player

113. jmfatz47
    7:53 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

No surprise here. Heard rumblings about his transfer a cpl months ago.

114. Dee W.
    7:53 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Very said to see this news…

39 – Polson didn’t lose his scholarship to begin with. This now leaves a scholarship unfilled.

115. Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
    7:58 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer is transferring to Gonzaga. He and fellow Canadian Kevin Pangos (along with former Baylor standout Brady Heslip) really hit it off this summer and formed their own WBA. Kyle and Kevin will get to play together for one season assuming Pangos sticks around for his senior year, and I think he will. Kyle is also drawing inspiration from one of his fellow Canadian friends, Kelly Olynyk, who was able to re-shape his body during his redshirt season at Gonzaga to become one of the most dominant players in the country. Kyle obviously doesn’t have the post game that Kelly has, but there are some similarities there. He’s a perfect fit for that school and program. I wish him nothing but the best playing for Few out West and will surely be rooting for him to reach his goals.

116. timer
    7:58 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I really hate to see Kyle go….I understand and support his decision. I wish him the best!

117. Jeffrey
    8:06 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

NO! I don’t want to see him go! ๐Ÿ™

118. NKYgirl
    8:29 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I hate that people have bad things to say about the kid. People are allowed to grow and change. Very well stated and I love that he states how hard it will be to leave BBN as he will always be a part of it. Best wishes, Kyle, and may you find success wherever you decide to go.

119. Steve Cox
    8:34 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Would like to see him get a chance to post more wherever he goes, he has some nifty moves around the basket but seemed-to-be more of a shooting option for the Cats each year. With his height, and frame, and game he might well be served to prove what he can do on the blocks not behind the line.

120. GoBigBlue
    8:38 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Does this mean we can’t make fun of Louisville for how many players it’s had transfer?

121. Bunzz
    8:54 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Good luck to him, and I wish him the best. Hate to see him go.

That being said, I have to say that I think this is the best thing for him. UK’s style of play is just not conducive to Kyle’s skill set. And he is too good of a player to be sitting on the bench.

122. Kevin C.
    8:57 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Sad to see him go, but I’m sure after seeing some of the new guys in action, he realized he literally couldn’t play with them. Wiltjer epitomizes the “slow, unathletic white guy” cliche… which simply won’t work with next year’s team. Good luck Kyle…sorry you’ll miss out on another ring.

123. Bleedbluebbb
    9:02 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I’ve done 3X more screaming at Kyle to get back on D than I ever did Archie to quit driving the lane like there was no tomorrow!

Have a running joke at work that those who are slow/can’t finish tasks timely- are ‘like watching Kyle get back on defense.’

Plus I agree with those of the OP- competitors complete! Good luck pal-be some other teams liability on D

124. Wildcatsteeler
    9:06 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

If you leave the program because you aren’t happy with your perceived playing time in the future you are no longer a part of BBN to me. You’re a traitor and good riddance.

125. Wildcatsteeler
    9:09 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

@56 You’re one of those morons by your own words. You say it’s his choice to leave then claim people trashing him don’t get that same choice to express what they think about it.

126. Dude
    9:24 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

People don’t understand how good a ball player Kyle really is. His style just doesn’t fit Cals up tempo play. He would be a great college ball player at a school like Gonzaga or Butler

127. Ky_Tom
    9:26 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Some of you UK fans can’t figure this out..Why was Kyle’s #’s down this year..Because He was guarded more thats why ! This past UK team only had 2 shooters period..One was Kyle, The other, the senior transfer point guard, who BTW ended up as the 5th all time 1 year player on the 3 pointer made list. When the UK Point guard was off the Floor, teams made an extra effort to guard Kyle..Plus after his great first season with his shooting, coaches made it a point have their teams play up on him, and not give the time he required to get off his shot..NOW, in my personal opinion, Kyle will be making a mistake by leaving, because once again, UK will be loaded with ,many shooters, that will require teams to guard everyone on the floor at once, giving Kyle more chance to get open looks at the three ball off pick and rolls..Just go back and watch the games of Kyles first season, You’ll see I am right..Team were so involved in guarding everyone else, they simply over looked the man, giving him wide open three’s. and kyle knocked them down at high rate..That rate fell last year because of what I have just talked about, but if UK is to be loaded as they say..Kyle could be giving up his best year ever at UK by going to another school and sitting out a year. If he wants to work on his body, then get in the gym and work, and stay put , right here at UK…….just my view…

128. NoKyCat
    9:31 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for everything you did the last two years Kyle. Best wishes for your future. You’ll always have a spot in our hearts.

129. Ball Hair
    9:48 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Calipari sure developed that McDonalds All American.

130. Ace
    9:49 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

The 2014 national championship just went 60 miles down the road to Louisville. What a shame that Pitino gets an even better team after he won the championship and we go to NIT and lose Archie and Kyle. I didn’t care about Archie, but Kyle just sent the ring some where else. He was my favorite player last year.

I think that Kyle along with Karl Towns would have won another championship. This is awful. I wish he would just red shirt at UK. We are now an elite eight team and or maybe sweet 16 team. No way this current team goes final four!! Hope I am wrong.

131. SurpriseInMyLevis
    9:52 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Cal’s players are figuring out that there are TWO paydays.

1) They get $200,000 to sign with the team in the first place.

2) They get twice that when they transfer out. It’s called “hush money.”

Harrow became a wealthy young man and now Wiltjer wants his.

It is a no brainer.

132. Ace
    9:53 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I love coach cal. I think he is awesome. I hope he never retires, however, I think changing defenses from time to time can help a team win especially in the tournament. I think playing a zone defense some would allow Wiltjer more playing time.

133. tuxedo park
    10:04 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Ace, Kyle was REALLY your favorite player last year? Did you notice that tall guy with the flat top at all? he wasn’t bad…

In all seriousness, i always rooted for Kyle, but he was a disaster last year. The thin team really exposed him. His defense was pathetic and he struggled to score when teams actually focused on guarding him. He’d look good this upcoming year though, it would be like 2012 all over again. Kyle could camp out at the three-point line and get all the open threes he’s ever want.

Hope he takes his redshirt year to really focus on his body. He’s either gonna need to put on 30 pounds of muscle in order to guard 5’s or he’s going to have to work his ass off running and get at least some semblance of speed.

134. bung
    10:31 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

shoulda played him more last year…instead of wasting time with some of the others…

135. bummed
    10:37 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I really like Kyle. He is a great shooter and would benefit the new guys by being there to walk them through what Cal wants from each of them. However for him it is probably the best move if he goes elsewhere. With that said, if he cuts and runs, he cannot “always bleed blue”. At least not UK blue. Good Luck Wiltjer.

136. CATfish
    12:12 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think we will miss his skills as much as we will miss his expierence for the younger guys.

137. 8&Counting
    9:56 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

If Kyle reads this I would like to take the opportunity to wish him the best and to know that his time at UK is greatly appreciated! Good luck on your journey to make the NBA.

138. UK
    2:11 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Wish Kyle the best!

Harrison
    Harrison
    Poythress
    Randle
    Stein

Young
    Johnson

He would have been the 7th or 8th man. Best for him to go somewhere where he is more of the focal point.