Willie Taggart Quote Probably Won’t be in WKU Brochure

willie

WKU students are unlikely to be thrilled with the newest quotes from Hilltopper coach Willie Taggart. He was asked by local media about students at Western who wear UK gear around campus and he said, “the reason those people are at WKU is because they probably didn’t get into Kentucky.” The implication is that Western isn’t as good a school as Kentucky, which can’t make some students in Bowling Green all that thrilled.

Western has produced a number of journalists that are doing good work in the state such as Evan Daniels, Kyle Tucker and Cole Claybourn just to name a few. So don’t crap on Hilltopper academics. Plus Olde Stone is a great course. Still, Taggart is doing work at WKU and my guess is that win in Lexington and all will certainly be forgiven.

Article written by Matt Jones

44 Comments for Willie Taggart Quote Probably Won’t be in WKU Brochure

1. who not that
    1:43 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

..journalist who are doing good work.

2. Dacci
    1:47 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Matt i’m glad you stood up for WKU, just wish you had done the same for EKU a while back when Drew Franklin insulted all the women on the campus.

3. SexnNursinHomes
    1:47 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Willie Taggart- shame on you for hurting that smokin’ hot ass girl’s feelings.

No worries girl, I have an unwashed armpit ready for you to cry in.

4. imnotthefiveo
    1:50 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Actually wku has one of the best journalism and forensic programs in the nation. It’s still a state school but far enough away from the bluegrass area. And Nashville is an hr down the road..

5. jt
    1:54 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

maybe myself and others wear uk gear because the first 18 years of our lives we were raised as big blue fans and just because we went to a different university doesnt mean we drop everything we know and love and be fans of that school. I guess matt jones should’ve become a duke fan because he went there. i bleed uk blue and i’m sure any other person in the country that is a uk fan but on another campus still supports bbn

6. adam
    1:54 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

The education program is also top notch

7. Sir Brandon
    1:55 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Why did you crop out Billy Clyde from the pic, Master Jones?

8. adam
    1:56 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

One of my professors at WKU was born and raised in Georgia. When WKU was hammered by them a few years back she came to class that Monday and thrw dog food at the players and started barking at them. Wonder how Willie would feel about that.

9. AWAT
    1:57 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

UK fan for 28 years and WKU student for 4. It’s simple math.

10. George Washington
    2:02 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

What about Kige “F&%$king” Ramsey!! He is to youtube sports what I am to this country.

11. Rockfield, KY
    2:05 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

I went to WKU for one reason. It was much cheaper in 2001 than UK was and I had to pay for school on my own. I’m 100% blue and am constantly criticized by my WKU alumni peers when I wear blue to the WKU game. I honestly didn’t like WKU when I was in school there. Their second tier athletes were arrogant and the president of the school was obsessed with making WKU a bigger school.

12. HunterGTS
    2:07 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been a UK fan for most of my life. I grew up about 15-20 minutes from Western. Although I graduated from UK, I spent two semesters at WKU when my mother had cancer. I enjoyed my time there and I thought the education was jsut as good. I would hope that the WKU coach’s quote was just taken out of context.

13. HunterGTS
    2:08 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

lol meant to say “just”

14. JudgeSmails
    2:10 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Well ,the world needs ditch diggers too.

15. The Visor
    2:13 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

@ number 9. You are correct sir.

16. TJcats
    2:15 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

WKU grads serving as journalists go way beyond Kentucky, Matt. The head of NBC, Julian Goodman, who just recently passed away was a WKU grad. If you look up the Hearst Journalism awards for the past 20 years, WKU finishes in the top 5 in the nation with schools like Northwestern each and every year. It is not just the best J-school in the state, but one of the very top in the country.

17. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    2:16 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

This is tough love. Truth hurts sometimes.

18. Han
    2:21 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

A lot of coaches, including people like him and Pitino, just need to realize that UK is the state school. Just because you go to EKU or WKU or Louisville, it doesn’t mean you have to be a fan of that school.

At Transy, 90% of the sports fans there were UK fans, at least. Most of us didn’t even both supporting Transy’s teams, even though they didn’t compete at the same level as UK. You go to a school based on career and financial decisions, not football fandom.

19. Al's IndiCats
    2:21 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Most of you won’t know this, Paulines of Bowling Green. For some to afford getting a higher education there, there were a few Co-eds from WKU working there. Not an ugly one there. Or so I was told!

20. BBN
    2:32 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

ITS TRUE. How many kids grow up dreaming about going to Western? My guess is .00002% of kids in this state. And that .00002% ultimately ended up at UK. Finances and location have WAY more to do with kids attending Western than love of the school or even kids thinking its a better education.

Sounds like Willie has a case of “little brother” – and doesn’t quite know how to handle it. He probably use to use “your momma” as a put down back in the day too.

21. Wild Willie
    2:43 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

What about UK students that wear WKU shirts? I don’t hear Joker calling them out… Or any other team. During my days at UK, I’d always see kids wearing other schools’ colors. I really despised the ones wearing Florida and UT crap. But at least I didn’t publicly ridicule them. That’s their right to wear what they want. Get over it.

22. John Wall
    2:46 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Shes purtyyyy

23. The Big Toe
    2:50 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

@11- Second class athelete and OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST Claire Donahue might disagree with you.

Signed

Former Division 1 WKU athelete.

24. Owen
    2:57 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

There was a similar attitude towards students at OU who wore OSU gear. Fact of the matter is that is has nothing to do with where people got into school or academics, just how relevant their sports teams are. WKU doesn’t play in the SEC. That’s it.

25. PissedHilltopper
    3:02 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

No it’s not going to be forgiven, I wear UK stuff around campus and I got into Notre Dame and UK, but chose WKU over both of them because of family in Bowling Green, and the journalism program which is one of the best in the country. I hope that ass hole, and yes he is an ass hole, I’ve met him a few times, loses by 100 to UK. Then I want to see how all of us UK rejects treat him after that. Unfortunately, I don’t think the man is smart enough to realize that he insulted his own school with that one. He must be speaking about himself, I know a writer at the College Heights Herald who says they can’t ever quote him directly because he can’t speak in complete sentences outside of a presser. Just comical…

26. PissedHilltopper
    3:12 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

11, their fans are worse than Louisville fans in my opinion. They have little brother syndrome not just with UK, but to LOUISVILLE!! I’ve actually found myself defending the dirty birds when Western fans have tried to say that their basketball team has the second best tradition in the state! I’ve also heard them say that EA Diddle was on the same level as Rupp! Why? Because he beat Rupp more than Rupp beat him! The academics at WKU are underrated in my opinion, the business school is getting to be very good, and the journalism, education and nursing programs are among the best in the country. But, their sports fans are nuts, and they all think like Taggart…

27. Beavis
    3:21 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

I can’t understand why Taggert would schedule teams like Alabama and Florida except for the money. Hope the present players like the nice new addition to the football stadium,,,,the former players paid for it. Now UK,,,,I can understand that one.

28. jt
    3:30 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

23 – reveal yourself “former division 1 WKU athlete” no one may have noticed you when i once roamed the campus of western, and now you are still hiding

29. Rockfield, KY
    3:31 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

23. I’ll give you that, WKU has a great swimming tradition, but no one cares about it, not even in BG. Their football, basketball, and baseball players were jerks for the most part. There are always exceptions, but you’d think their football players played at USC with the way they act.

30. The Big Toe
    3:31 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

@26. WKU is the second best career team in the state. Look at CAREER WINS. They
    may not have two titles like the Dirty Birds, but still ahead in all time wins. And also as a UK fan, HOW IN THE HECK CAN YOU DEFEND UL, about ANYTHING?? Defending a bunch of sorry ass Line Beards strips you of any credibility. Did Willie flub his words? Maybe. But I’d also like to hear the question that was asked and his full response before passing judgement. He could have easily gone with Harbaugh to the league, bt he chose to come back to his Alma Mater. So go and be pissed off, but he has more love for WKU than you could ever have for UK.

31. Matt
    4:01 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

I am a former athlete at WKU, and I would get criticized all the time by my teammates for rooting for UK and wearing UK gear. I had to let them know that I chose WKU because they were recruited me the hardest, offered up much more scholarship, and had the subject I wanted to study. With that said, I am not a fan of UK for the sport I participated in, but I am a UK fan when it comes to everything else. Just because you attend a school, does not automatically make a fan of that school. If I wasn’t going to play in college, I absolutely would have attended UK.

32. Matt
    4:10 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

@29…Don’t be so quick to pass judgment. There are rough bunches in every athletic team, including UK’s squads. I don’t know how many recent run ins you have had with the athletes at WKU, but you apparently did not meet the good guys who show respect and represent the university with class.

33. nawlij
    4:21 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Don’t crap on WKU’s athletics?…it is a toilet school…according to released stats, they accept over 94% of applicants….UK, UL, Murray, Eastern all have acceptance rates below 81%…

Western IS the school for those that can’t get in anywhere else. Sorry if that hurts feelings, but it is the truth…

34. adam
    4:23 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

There are going to be douche bag athletes at any college no matter how big or how small. I played some small college baseball and some of the guys on the team acted like they were Nolan Ryan. I transferred to WKU and I’ve met some of the football players and a few of them have been cool and a few of them are douche bags. It just depends on who you meet. The same goes for WKU’s baseball team. Some of them are cool guys and then some of them act like they are God. As for the poster talking about WKU’s swimmer who won the gold medal… We have Anthony Davis.

35. TheBigToe
    4:59 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

@34. I agree. And I wasn’t passing judgement. I was responding to the poster who claimed WKU is a bunch of second class atheletes. That is all. How much money is involved in UK basketball? Up until 6 years ago, the men’s and women’s swim team (non-revenue sport), only handing out 5.5 scholarships each to the men’s and women’s program, was able to produce a Gold Medalist, and they have also had other US National team members. That was my only point.

36. WKUgradUKfan4life
    5:02 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

I graduated from WKU and did NOT want to go there in the first place. I wanted to go to UK but my parents forced me to go to the hometown school (i am from Bowling Green). I do not own one single thing that represents WKU except my diploma. Also, I found it very rude and mean of students at WKU that when UK played WKU in the NCAA tournament this past season, saying that graduates from WKU should have their diploma taken away from them if they root for UK for that game. They also booed students out of the dining areas and classes for wearing UK gear on campus. Makes the fans/students look immature. This is a free country we are allowed to cheer for who we want to cheer for!! GO CATS!!! can’t wait to root AGAINST my old college this weekend. Take that WKU!

37. bluristhurr
    5:04 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

#32 Matt
    This Momo

38. Obummer
    5:10 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Can you imagine being a football player at Western this week and see people wearing UK gear on campus? You can’t deny it would get to you a little bit. Plus he didn’t say anything about the school as a whole, just those who wear UK gear. Then why are people after their athletes now? Let’s be honest their have been plenty of UK basketball players with some narcissistic issues, they are everywhere. Now let’s go get a life and quit trolling on the best football coach in the state.

39. Einstein
    6:20 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Let’s think about this logically. We’re comparing WKU academics to UK academics. That’s like having a tallest midget contest. Neither are known for their prestigious academics.

40. True Story
    9:56 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Man speaks the truth

41. njCat
    12:26 am September 11, 2012 Permalink

If Western plays KY close, Willie Taggert might be a good choice to replace the Jokester. Certainly has WKU playing well the past couple years.

42. Really?
    12:35 am September 11, 2012 Permalink

30, you are an idiot. First, they dont own that anymore. UL passed them this year, and even if they hadn’t, they would this year. Taking up for Louisville when people make an absurd argument doesn’t mean they don’t love UK enough, it means they aren’t retarded. Western has been to 1 Final Four, which was vacated. You are the one who doesn’t love UK enough, if you did you wouldn’t make us all look like rejects by saying that WKU is better than Louisville. They aren’t. That’s dumber than saying Louisville is better than UK!!!

43. UK Snuggie
    7:45 am September 11, 2012 Permalink

Oh, it looks like the Creeper had to take down the photo of the young girl.

44. CatinFlorida
    8:18 am September 11, 2012 Permalink

So, I grew up in Lexington, was a UK fan but I chose to go to WKU in 2002 due to the tuition and because I just wanted to get out of Lexington. I have a couple of points here.

First, I’m not crapping on Kentucky, but I don’t think any school in the state is THAT hard to get into. Kentucky as a state doesn’t have some world-wide academic reputation. Doesn’t mean that UK isn’t a good school (it is), or that Western doesn’t have some solid programs (it does).

Second, I don’t choose my school based on my sport fandom. I went to Western originally for journalism, and though I changed majors I fell in love with the school. I went to Ohio State for my masters because the program was Top 20 in the country; I’m not a Buckeye now. I’m always a Wildcat. But I’m going to do what’s best for my career or in the case of Western my pocketbook and mental health, and sometimes attending UK doesn’t necessarily have the best option.

Go Wildcats.