Willie Cauley-Stein will return to UK, Archie Goodwin to enter the Draft

Cauley-Stein_Willie_TV Head 12-13 Goodwin_Archie_TV Head 12-13

According to UK, Willie Cauley-Stein will return to the team next season, while Archie Goodwin will enter the NBA Draft. Alex Poythress is currently still deciding between the two. Here are the reactions from Willie, Archie and Cal:

Willie Cauley-Stein: “I’m looking forward to continuing to develop as an all-around player. I’m also excited for the opportunity to try and win a national championship.”

Archie Goodwin: “This is something I’ve dreamed about my entire life and I feel like the opportunity is there for me to play at the next level. I will stay in Lexington to finish my schoolwork this semester before continuing to pursue my dream. I’ve loved my time at UK and want to thank Coach Cal, the staff and my teammates for helping me get where I am. I especially want to thank the Big Blue Nation for all their support.”

Archie has not signed with an agent, which means he could change his mind by April 16th, the date by which players must withdraw their name or lose their eligibility.

John Calipari: “I’m excited that Willie and Kyle have decided to return for next season. When we talk about a players-first program, our goal is for each player to reach his dreams. Willie and Kyle believe it is in their best interest to return to Kentucky next season to achieve those dreams, and I fully support their decisions.

“Although I really wanted Archie to return for his sophomore season, I fully support him choosing to pursue his dreams. He has the drive and desire to be great and I will continue to do everything I can to make sure he succeeds in life both on and off the court.

“I believe, with another year of hard work and competition, they all can take their games to the next level. I look forward to seeing them all grow into young men.”

As we learned last night, Kyle Wiltjer will not transfer. He released this statement through the school today:

“I’m so excited about the possibilities of next season. I love Coach Cal and the staff, the University of Kentucky and the Big Blue Nation. After talking with Coach and the staff, I understand what I need to do. I want to be a part of another championship. This summer I’m going to work the hardest I’ve ever worked to come back next season better and stronger to help my team fight for number nine.”

UK says that additional announcements regarding remaining players will be announced at a later date.

148 Comments for Willie Cauley-Stein will return to UK, Archie Goodwin to enter the Draft

1. TJR
    11:39 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

This better not be an April Fools Joke!

2. dribble drive high five
    11:39 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Shoot, I was hoping Archie would be back

3. mrgwildcat
    11:40 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

of course Nerlens didn’t say if he was or not going….he just got out of surgery a few weeks ago…

4. asdf
    11:40 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Kyle had better get his ass in the gym this summer and get ripped. He badly needs strength.

5. Smart Person
    11:40 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Alex or Aaron Gordon… ???

6. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    11:41 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Pretty good to trade out Archie and Harrow for Wiggens & Hawkins.

7. stratblend
    11:41 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

anyone got an idea what Poythress is up to? Odd he’s not included in the announcement.

8. Smart Person
    11:42 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

From press release — “No announcement has been made by Nerlens Noel, Alex Poythress, Jon Hood and Jarrod Polson regarding their future at Kentucky at this time.”

I think Jarrod should put his name in the draft and withdraw on the last date.

9. MrWildcat
    11:42 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

What happened to “we are delusional if we think we are ready”

10. Ryan
    11:43 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

7. KSTV reporting Poythress to return in the same report that announced WCS and Archie’s decisions.

11. Charlie
    11:43 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

I wanted Archie back more than anyone else save Noel 🙁

12. Polsonkicksass
    11:47 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Polson putting his name in the draft would be epic. Seriously KSR should spearhead this and get it done.

13. Tebkats
    11:47 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Wish Archie well but think he is making a mistake. But in one sense I am glad he is going because I don’t think he is enough of a team player to play with next year’s roster.

14. wut
    11:47 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

not trying to bash the kid, but what in the hell is archie thinking? he is going to get eaten alive in the NBA if he even gets out of the D league. Again not trying to bash him but for his OWN sake he should’ve came back. I’m definitely not just saying this so we could have hiim back (we have more than enough talent to make up for it) I am SUPER excited for WCS returning though. Huge news and really the one I wanted back the most

15. Random
    11:48 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

#9 He’s 18 years old, that’s what happened. It’s hard for any kid in his situation to turn down the NBA, ready or not.

16. cdc_uky
    11:48 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Good stuff. My biggest hope is that the attitude of the team changes next year. I am ready to watch our players have fun. I am ready to see some “heart” on the court again.

17. Bojangles
    11:50 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Shoot — I really wanted Archie back…

18. cdc_uky
    11:50 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie should go…he will go higher in this draft than he would next year. He will develop more in the NBA…take the money while it is there.

19. Hey Ya
    11:50 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Willie was the most important person to come back for next years team.

20. Big Blue
    11:52 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie doesn’t have an agent…..but it looks like in his “policticly correct” comments that Cal really doesn’t want him back.

21. Big Blue 66
    11:53 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

WCS is smart, not only because he will be a better player, but think about being a BBN legend the rest of your life. Win it at UK and no matter really what happens down the line, BBN will support and honor you. #BeALegend

22. UKBlue1!
    11:53 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

#9 is getting closer to being a possibility. We need Poythress to come back. Good Luck Archie. I hope he gets drafted high enough were he gets some money. I hope I am wrong but I think he is in for a rough time.

23. Mr Obvious
    11:54 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Guess Wiggins is on board. Not enough minutes at the 2 or 3 for Archie next year if AW came to Lexington. Pretty obvious now that he will be be at UK.

24. peoplewhowork
    11:54 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Can’t fault a guy for taking advantage of his talents to better his position in life. That is after all what we all try to do. It would have been good to see him come back. I had a feeling he was starting to turn the page. He was carrying us on his back against Robert Morris (with Polson). Wish him the best as always.

25. Mark Liptak
    11:55 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

“I really wanted Archie to return for his sophomore season” — Coach Cal.

Naturally…Archie decided to do just the opposite of what was being suggested. Why should we be surprised given what happened during the season. I think he’s making a big mistake but it’s his decision…he’ll have to live with the consequences of playing in the D-League or in Europe.

Mark Liptak

26. Nathan
    11:56 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie Goodwin’s NBA ready attributes:
    1. height
    2. speed

Archie Goodwin’s non NBA ready attributes
    1. jumpshot
    2. ball handling
    3. decision making
    4. overall attitude
    5. strength

Why go play D league basketball in front of 950 fans instead of playing in front of sold out arenas with your best friends? I just don’t understand his logic. Wish him the best though.

27. roydillard
    11:57 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

And the bench is getting smaller by the min.

28. Musehobo
    11:57 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

So glad WCS and Kyle are coming back! Hard to argue team won’t have any upperclassmen leadership with a Senior, Junior, and one (or more) sophomores coming back.

29. roydillard
    11:58 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

I will tell u why? because he know the incoming frosh will make him look bad and he will never get drafted..

30. WinstonBennettLoveMachine
    11:59 am April 1, 2013 Permalink

Mark Liptak…been a long time since our days in the Sig Ep house – hope you are well! Archie would push and be pushed harder by returning but I still wish him well.

31. Old man
    12:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

18) he is not ready now and may not be at this time next year. What happened to staying in school until you are ready? Last time I checked they were allowed four years to prepare and get ready for the nba. The thing about archie is that it’s not a lack of talent, it’s that he is incredibly selfish. The d league certainly will not help that. 3 years on an nba contract, probably spent in the d league, then the rest of his career will be over seas. I don’t see him earning a second contract at this

32. Charlie
    12:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

26. Do you not understand millions of dollars? U serious? In the course of a few months he will make more than you will make in your lifetime.

33. BBN
    12:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

The best decision for everyone involved. The last thing you want is Archie feuding with the Harrison twins next season which is exactly what would happen with his selfish attitude. That would be a clusterfu*ck for the team’s chemistry.

34. 2013FrontCourt
    12:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

The front court (and the whole team, really) is absolutely incredible next year. WCS and Dakari Johnson at Center, and Julius Randle and Marcus Lee at PF, with Wiltjer rotating in at PF if need be. Wow

35. Lori
    12:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Willie is the ONE I really wanted back. Archie will not play next year. He isn’t the type of player to sit the bench and be happy about it. Polson and Hood should both enter the draft and then pull their name out. That would be epic! Wiggins hanging out with all the UK signees is a good sign. He’s coming to help us bring home NUMBER 9! Counting down until Big Blue Madness!

36. Blowb
    12:02 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Updated Projected Roster:

PG: Andrew Harrison/Polson/Hawkins (?)

SG: Aaron Harrison/James Young

SF: Alex Poythress

PG: Julius Randle/Kyle Wiltjer/Marcus Lee/Derek Willis

C: Willie Cauley-Stein/Dakari Johnson

Undecided: Andrew Wiggins

37. Austin
    12:03 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I wanted Archie back, but he was going to have to accept a role here next year. He would have had to become Deandre Liggins 2.0 to keep his spot. I am not 100% sure he could do that. I think he knew that, and decided it was best to move on. He is a hard worker, I think he has a chance to stick in the NBA. Hope he works on his game and makes it. I am not going to hate on someone that played that hard. He had a lot to learn, and now he will learn how to play in the NBDL the next couple years. Best of luck to him!

38. JPhelps
    12:04 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I get that’s Archie’s dream, and I support UK players, but I disagree with him wholeheartedly that its a good idea. He doesn’t have the jump shot and might be a career D-leaguer or player struggling to make rosters a la Kelenna Azibuike. Athletic monster, can’t really shoot. The only reason Doron went so high is that he could stroke it!

39. catlanta31
    12:04 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

27, did you really mean that? UK still in on THREE recruits in Gordon, Wiggins and Hawkins. Then there will be the Julius Mays-Alex Oladipo-Mark Lyon type openings by the first of May. Cal said he won’t be caught without a bench again and I believe that.

40. Rockfield, KY
    12:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

With Archie leaving, I assume Alex comes back and Nerlens leaves. That gives us 10 scholarship players that will be good enought to get serious minutes. Add in Hawkins and Wiggins and we have 12 players that will actually play. The we’ll still have one spot left on the roster for a scholarship. I guess either Hood or Polson get that last spot. Wiltjer, WCS, Alex, Aaron, Andrew, Dakari, Randle, Lee, Young, Willis, Wiggins, Hawkins,________. Youngest but deepest team in America next year and definitely most talented.

41. Jughead
    12:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

His draft stock decreased if he stayed. I think he’ll be fine in the NBA, but it will take a few years. PPat is now just coming around.

42. Han
    12:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

26) Getting paid anything and not having to go to class.

36) Poythress and Noel have not announced yet, and Polson could end up not returning, likewise with Hood.

Hopefully we do add Hawkins and Wiggins, though.

43. JPhelps
    12:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

All that said, WCS returning is HUGE!!!

44. Yeah!
    12:06 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#Polson2Pros!

45. Steve
    12:06 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

36. Well done on the roster. Send this to Wiggins so he can see the SF is all his all the time.

46. Just wondrin
    12:07 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

C’mon guys… Look at 36’s post. Wiggins is a no. 3 guy, a small forward. Why announce that Poythress is coming back for the 3 position before Wiggins makes his decision? Not that Wiggins wouldn’t beat him out — he would — but why advertise out loud that we already have someone in that spot?

47. BMan
    12:08 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Oh Daniel orton, I mean Archie… You are “delusional” indeed. The D-league & overseas awaits you.

48. j
    12:09 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Ok so Gordon’s annoucement is gonna “shock” everybody, lets put this together, poythress is gonna leave and wiggins will fill in for goodwin and gordon will replace poythress. just my opinion, why would gordon’s announcement to arizona “shock” his parents think about it

49. Huh??
    12:09 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

46 – You really think what this one guy’s posts as a possible lineup for next year is going to have ANY impact on what Wiggins is going to do next year?

50. Brad
    12:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

He was the leading scorer on the second place team in the SEC. He has extreme athletic abilities. He will not start next year, he will not be the leading scorer, and the draft next year is stacked. If he stayed he was committing to being a 3 if not 4 year player. Wish him well, but he is going to have to have some humility and listen because he is going to spend a lot of time in the d-league.

51. Steve
    12:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Good Luck to Archie Goodwin, you have Joe Crawford attitude with out the 4 years to get it right.

52. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    12:11 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

In this thread: A bunch of morons.

53. don juan
    12:11 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Support Archie and quit saying he’s not ready. He may never be ready, but at least he will get paid finding out. Regardless if he makes it in the NBA or not he is about to get paid to play basketball somewhere. You can beat that! A lot of good college players don’t make it. Hopefully he finds his niche.

54. Some Guy
    12:12 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I thought he said they were delusional if they thought they were ready? Guess he’s delusional, because he was right when he said that. I wanted both back but I guess if I had to choose one it would have been Willy, our back court will be loaded next year. Good luck in the NBA.

55. Dusten
    12:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I completely get it. Archie is the one at most risk draft stock wise if he comes back. Cauley-Stein has a pretty much guaranteed top twenty pick regardless of three year he goes, due to his size and mobility. Archie needs to take advantage if the weak draft class.

56. Pete
    12:14 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie is not ready but I’m not sure there is a huge opportunity to raise his draft stock from now to next year. Especially with the class coming in.

57. Wall2Cousins
    12:14 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

26 is retarded…..height??? geezes…not enough time to explain how stupid you look right now.

58. Dusten
    12:14 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I apologize for my grammatical errors.

59. don juan
    12:14 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Tim Couch was a bust by professional standards. Was he a victim of circumstance? Was it his talent. He still got PAID. Quit hating on these kids and their decisions.

60. Musehobo
    12:15 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

All this hate on Archie is got good for BBN. I’ll admit he was frustrating to watch, due to his apparent lack of coachability. But he was a nice guy, he didn’t really have an attitude problem (or at least nowhere near what some people are saying), and he averaged 14 points a game his freshman year here. Whether or not you agree with his decision, that should have no effect on whether we like him, and whether we view him as family. He’s chosen to move on. Let’s support him, and hopes he remembers the BBN fondly, as we should him.

61. uk3k_j
    12:15 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

We will miss you archie. Hopefully you find a good spot in the NBA. It’s not too late of you change your mind either…. we would LOVE to have you back….

62. Wall2Cousins
    12:16 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

who wants a undersized SG who can’t hit a 3 pointer…..sure.

63. Musehobo
    12:17 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

*not good

64. Nathan
    12:17 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

32) maybe you don’t understand the NBA business kid. I’ll help you out. Being the 20th pick in the draft means nothing. Goodwin will sign a 3 year contract and play in the D league for at least 2 years. And then what? Nothing. He goes to Europe and plays for 150k a year. I don’t know where you are getting this whole “millions and millions of dollars” there are plenty of kids who can play better and have a much better attitude.

65. Archie goodwin falls alot
    12:17 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin was on his back more than a 2 cent whore

66. RUPPS.rhetoric
    12:17 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Are we sure that April date is the withdrawal date or the declaration date. I know the declaration date got moved up but I thought the withdrawal date was on May sometime. As long as they haven’t hired an agent of course.

67. uk3k_j
    12:17 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

i am always amazed by the huge amount of ungrateful fans who ride these players when they decide to jump to the next level and provide for their families. What 18 year old kid wouldn’t want to be a millionaire?

68. Corey
    12:18 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

What’s that do to the scholarship situation? Anyone?

69. Archie goodwin falls alot
    12:19 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

HE WILL NOT GET DRAFTED!!!! ANY GM THAT DRAFTS HIM SHOULD BE FIRED INSTANTLY

70. uk3k_j
    12:19 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

at least archie cared about winning. He never dogged it out their. Yes, some of his decisions were not the best, but he is a kid and this year was tough for everyone. Dont shame the fanbase by putting him down.

71. Jeffrey
    12:20 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I believe Archie is only testing the waters, he should be coming back for next season. But I will not be surprised to see him playing in the D league next season.

72. AllisRight
    12:20 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

All is right in the basketball world today. Kentucky can still say next year that they have the biggest Willie in college basketball.

73. Corey
    12:20 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, 69, don’t badmouth our players and especially Archie who left everything on the floor night in and night out.

74. Dakari Stoops
    12:23 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

@70 Thank You couldn’t agree more

75. uk3k_j
    12:23 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

draft class next year is stacked (on our roster alone!). Cant blame the kid, only place to go in the draft is down.

76. lnk
    12:23 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Good luck archie.

77. Musehobo
    12:24 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

And another note. If we rag on every one of our freshman who comes in, struggles, then leaves for the draft, how long before we have many of our former players that hate UK? Part of the reason we have such strong connections with our former players (besides Orton who screwed us over), is because we understand that business decisions are being made. If we support him, we help the image that we are rational fans.

78. JD
    12:24 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck Archie. You will always be a Cat!

79. Archie goodwin falls alot
    12:25 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

there are alot of kids that leave eveything on the floor night in and night out, does that mean your ready to go to the nba!! thats a man’s league he won’t even see the floor you can;t tell me that he’s better than doron lamb and marquis teague go look up how many minutes they average a game.. he said himself he’s delusional if he thinks he’s ready..im tired of everybody saying we are bad mouthing him when he has no business even considering playing at the level he will get destroyed.. what a joke if he hadn’t of come to kentucky he would never be mentioned in a draft board.. thats what was wrong with this team this year a couple guys trying to do “me” i went and saw kentucky play 6 times on the road this year i support them no matter what but somebody needs to talk some sense into this kid.

80. uk3k_j
    12:25 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

@77 exactly. people need to realize that this is the kids life, it’s not just about our wins and championships(although both of those are awesome too!)

81. Steve
    12:25 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

What about Willis? Does he redshirt? But that still uses a scholarship thus what about Polson and Hood if Wiggins, Gordon, and Hawkins all want to go to Kentucky?

82. Jughead
    12:25 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I’d leave too if the money were offered. Instead, I stay in my cubicle all day protecting my red stapler and looking for an online girlfriend from Russia.

83. uk3k_j
    12:27 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

@79 but you miss the point. he might not be ready, but the draft is weak this year. He would be better off going now. Wherever he ends up he will get paid, and if he is smart with his money he is set.

84. Archie goodwin falls alot
    12:28 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

There are freshman who needed to go but there are a few that had no business leaving.. he won’t be playing anywhere in the league in 3 years bank on it that includes the d league..

85. Phil
    12:28 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#81-

Gordon is largely assumed to be staying out on the West Coast, I think UK is barely even a consideration for him. Polson will probably go back to being a walk on, and there are plenty of options for Hood.

86. Alex Oladipo
    12:28 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget me guys… I’m a 6-10, 250 pound shooting guard with serious hops. Thanks #39 for reminding everyone about me.

87. Oogie
    12:30 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#77… It’s a great point but unfortunately lost on many of our fans. It’s the same mentality and behavior that unfortunately keeps the entire state down in many ways.

88. Just sayin....
    12:31 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie was very frustrating at times this year, but honestly he was one of my favorites because he was always going hard. Do I think he’s ready? Probably not, but I totally understand his decision and support him. Would love to have him back, but wish him nothing but the very best! You will always be a Cat Archie!

89. Dude
    12:32 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Hilarious that this site is so vile that comments on John Wall and the president cant even be allowed. You should all be proud of yourselves.

90. Dud Wash
    12:33 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t there a Big Man camp that players go to? Willie needs to do tha this summer and work on free throws. I think he is gonna be awesome next year!

91. Han
    12:34 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie’s a great talent and it’s a shame he won’t be able to develop here more. But it’s great that Willie’s coming back. Hopefully we’ll land Hawkins and Wiggins and be solid at the 1-3.

92. bosshog
    12:34 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Next year is shaping up to be an exciting year indeed!

93. TruthSayer
    12:35 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Cal said himself Archie wasn’t coachable. We are basically ridding the team of me first attitudes moving forward. Our back court was horrendous and this is best for both parties.

94. M
    12:39 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Good luck to Archie. I’m sure you and your family weighed all of the pros and cons and you made the best decision for you and your family. Making about 3 million over the next 3 years is like making 100,000 over the next 30 years and retiring. Then if you get the second contact you’re set. You’re still set if you play in Europe or the d league after that. Just be smart with the money and know by making it, regardless or what haters say, you are not a failure. Good luck.

95. Truthfully
    12:39 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Honestly I hope they keep comments turned off because we get really horrible creeps on here and people that should not be allowed in society lol… But on the other hand we have some good ones too.

96. bilbo
    12:40 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Lol….you guys are what gives us a bad name…regardless whether or not he plays in the d league or not he will still earn millions of dollars.probably like 3.

If he thrives more money if not he can make a few hundred thousand overseas. Quit hating he will make more in one year than most people make in five. You guys are judgmental haters that would do the same

97. Jughead
    12:42 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

94: Really? A personal love note to AG? Kinda gay.

98. Earl !
    12:43 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

finish your class work Archie, and I will support you as a fan all your days in professional basketball in the NBA, D-League , or anywhere else

99. Corey
    12:44 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

John Wall rules!!!

100. Stan
    12:44 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

this isn’t another cruel april fool is it? i cant believe you were cruel enough to do the other one.

101. Beau
    12:45 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I’m quite ashamed of a bunch of folks on this message board. For one, I don’t get where everyone is talking about Archie’s bad attitude. He’s one of about three or four guys we had who did bust their ass every single night, whether we were winning or losing. On top of that none of us know his family’s financial situation. Maybe they need the money. And a big point many seem to forget is that by going to the NBA Goodwin will get to practice basketball for a living and not have the restrictions that face him in college. The guy can get to the rim as well as anyone in college (yes, he needs to learn to finish better… that will come) and has exceptional athleticism. That combined with his hard work and how hard he plays alone will get him drafted first round.

I feel bad for those of you dogging the kid and already saying he will never be a success in the NBA. It’s folks like you who give the BBN a bad reputation. Best of luck Archie. I’ll always be a fan and I know many others feel the same way.

102. Toner
    12:45 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

the URL on coachcal.com actually reads like so:

poythress?? slip of the finger/tongue?? lets hope so!

103. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:46 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Don’t believe anything on this site today. If it’s confirmed tomorrow, I’ll buy it.

104. Earl !
    12:47 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

i am actually impressed they turned the comment off for the POTUS / Wall pic … KSR just forfeited a thousand hits and comments on that thread alone. nothing like a political post for all the sheep ON BOTH SIDES of the aisle to get riled up about

105. asfsdg
    12:48 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I love Archie and I was really hoping he would come back and be a leader, but he made the right decision by going. Even if Archie was gonna get the starting job and that’s a big if, there would’ve been a lot of shared time at the 2 guard spot. He has the opportunity to be drafted in a weak draft and I think he’s smart for taking it. Now if WCS would’ve went I would’ve been shaking my head, but I do think Archie will succeed he just needs to work on his shot and make better decisions (which he was doing at the end of the year) so best of luck to Archie and I’m sure BBN will be keeping an eye on him. On the other hand, this potentially leaves a spot open for Gordon and Wiggins to come. Gordon made his mind up about a month ago and apparently his decision “shocked” his parents.

106. M
    12:49 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

97) good one. On the other hand I’d argue everyone hating and bashing him wishes they had a piece of his junk and are envious. Is that where you fit? My guess is yes with your name. Take a knee, juggle some balls, and stroke the head jug head, just the way your mother taught you.

107. Class
    12:50 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

ARCHIE!!!! NO!!! In all seriousness, good luck Archie! Burrr!!!!

108. What a load
    12:51 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I see comments were disabled for the John Wall/Obummer picture and story. I guess Jones and crew don’t want to hear about their favorite waste of a president getting bashed. Anyway, I think Poythress goes as soon as Wiggins tells Cal he’s coming to UK. If Wiggins comes, Poythress leaves, if he doesn’t we have Poythress again.

109. Debbie Downer
    12:51 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

What if Alex leaves and Wiggins doesn’t pick Ky.?What if Polson and Hood realize they can get serious time at a mid major?What if we have a couple of injuries at the guard spot?What if Kyle just can’t improve because of quickness?What if Derek Willis sees no playing time in his future and transfers?And a big,huge,jawbreaking what if Brian Long declares and isn’t around to lead and push the younger players?Hmmmmm…you tell me.

110. NBA GM
    12:52 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

the NBA draft has little to do with being “NBA ready”, so i see little conflict in Archie’s comments after the last game and his comments for this press release … the draft is about POTENTIAL, who are any one of us to tell a kid to turn down a few million guaranteed for our own selfish desire to have a loaded roster? did he make the right call, will he spend the money wisely? time will tell

111. Heisenberg
    12:54 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Comments are off for the Obama and Wall post lol

112. Fancoulo
    12:54 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I guess Cal was true to his word, the hijackers will be asked to,leave.

113. do u watch the nba
    12:54 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

do any of you even watch the nba? so much of the nba offensive systems (and success) is based on isolation play (similar to Cal’s Point Guard oriented dribble drive). if you can beat a man of the dribble, you are ahead of the game. i’m not saying archie will be a roaring success, but he can beat a man off the dribble. (you can’t teach that, you have it or you don’t) Now, he needs someone who can coach him on the finish and what to do when you get to 10 foot.

And why would he come back? More often than not, a guy hurts himself by coming back year over year. Gives NBA more tape to analyze and criticize and critique. If he did, on the court, next year what he did this year, he’d never get drafted (and loses a few million dollars). As long as they believe him to be First Round (most experts do), he’ll be grn’teed at least 2 million. That would take him 40 years if he found a job selling printer cartridges for 50K/year. If he shows ANY amount of ability, they pick up the 3rd year at dirt cheap (another 1 million)…

114. Chicago Chris
    12:56 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Kind of absurd, this statement: No announcement has been made by Nerlens Noel, Alex Poythress, Jon Hood and Jarrod Polson regarding their future at Kentucky at this time.

It’s as if you decide every year whether you come back. It should be assumed, and then if you make the statement, then that’s the announcement. Polson? Hood? Why is this even a question?

115. Chicago Chris
    12:56 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#104 – I completely agree. Props KSR.

116. brain
    12:57 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Great to have WCS and Kyle back and best of luck to Archie.

117. M
    12:58 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

114) my understanding is hood and polson may graduate early and would have to go to grad school to be eligible. If they don’t go to grad school, they aren’t students at uk and can’t play.

118. do u watch the nba
    12:59 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

104 & 115- well said… This should be about basketball and UK and sports… not about political (or religious) crap-ola being spread and disseminated. People on message boards are ridiculous now. MSN could have a blurb about how cute the polar bears look at this time of the year, and then some loser turns the comment board into a peeing contest over politics, hijacks the whole idea and concept of commening on polar bears. its absurd. Good work KSR!

119. bilbo
    1:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

106…he was offering support from idiots like you….you seen to know an awful lot about that maybe you have a complex…get a life….no one here needs to read crap like that

120. UKBlue1!
    1:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#109 What if UL gets beat?

121. Boogie
    1:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin will sign a 3 year contract and make roughly 2.5 million dollars total. If he doesn’t show signs of improvement in the D league (which I doubt he will) he will find himself without a contract to play professional basketball in the US. That’s not “millions and millions of dollars” like some if you are saying. Also, he’s 6’5 which is plenty tall to play the 2 guard in the NBA. Lou Williams, ray Allen, brad beal, Jason terry, JJ redick, rip Hamilton, Jamal Crawford are all effective 2 guards either the same size or smaller than Goodwin. I could go on and on.

122. kelkat
    1:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

The effort people put into stupid stuff….typing your name 100 plus times? Seriously??? LOL

123. Jim
    1:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

2-down, 2 to go. I hope Poythress and and I wish Wiltjer would also leave, both are a JOKE!!

124. Full Roster
    1:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

1-WCS,2-Dakari,3-Lee,4-Randle,5-Wiltjer,6-Wiggins,7-Poy,8-Willis,9-Young,10-Harrison,11-Harrison,12-Wilkins,13-Gordon/Polson/Hood…So if Poy returns and we get Wiggins, we still have one scholly to give Gordon if Hood and Polson go off scholly.

125. do u watch the nba
    1:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

114- I think the tremendous interest in the program by so many, and now the message boards and twitter demand makes it necessary for an “announcements will come” statement. And like 117 said, the fact they may graduate makes their status with the team a factor. They could choose to move on with their life, or pick a master program not offered at UK and continue immediately with another school (not sit out a year). And heck, if the statement doesn’t include all pertinent names, it could be perceived as a negative on the players not mentioned (IE- “we care about what these guys choose, but these other guys we really don’t care about”) People will find a way to criticize everything nowadays.

126. lonnieb
    1:06 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I just wanted to address all the comments

1) the rookie contracts are 2 years with a 2 yr team option to follow

2) If he goes pick 20 he contract would be 1.13 million per year with a 2 yera team option.\

3) Ford at ESPN said there would be at least 12 seniors in high school that would go first in this years draft over anyone in college if they could go straight to the NBA. So I feel like his stock would slide regardless of his output

4)He is not undersized……he is a good size for an NBA 2 guard (thoough his jumper needs work)

5)He would have played plenty of minutes next year. The floor would be so much more open with the ability of the players coming in. He would have been a force in the open floor after a year of learning

127. MadCatter
    1:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Truth…AG’s game better suited for pro offenses that college level, he will be fine albeit a few years down the road. Bigger point, major log jam at the 2 and 3 position even without Wiggins, so AG’s time and production would go down. He made the right choice, period. The key is Wiltjer to provide spot up shooting over zones and WCS coming back giving major depth at the 5. There will be major team chemistry improvment next year with more upper classmen and AG stepping out. Wish the kid well though, he always played hard.

128. bbr
    1:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

“Do you not understand millions of dollars? U serious? In the course of a few months he will make more than you will make in your lifetime.”

No he won’t. If he goes between 20 and 30 he will make around 1.8 to 2.4 million. He will have an extremely high tax rate along with agent’s fees, accountant fees, etc and an expensive lifestyle that will have to be maintained. Not quite the panacea it seems to be.

129. bbr
    1:16 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

“And why would he come back? More often than not, a guy hurts himself by coming back year over year”

Yeah, like Damian Lillard (4 year player; likely rookie of the year)

130. bbr
    1:18 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

“Polson? Hood? Why is this even a question?”
    Because both will graduate this spring – hence a decision has to be made whether to continue their education as graduate students

131. Yes I watch the NBA
    1:18 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#113, Yes, I watch plenty of NBA ball and Goodwin just isn’t ready for The Association, period. And I really question whether he’s ready to get drafted at all right now.

Getting drafted and having an NBA career are two different things. So basically I’m saying Archie Goodwin is making a major mistake by leaving on both accounts.

Yes, Archie can get by his man AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL, but he won’t be playing against collegiate competition, will he? He has almost no mid-range game and can’t shoot from NBA 3 point range at all.

Archie is looking at 1-2 years in the D-league before he’s ready to make an NBA roster. Will he the coaching in the D-league to really improve his game? Will he be dedicated enough to improve once he’s banked a couple million? I just don’t know and think it’s a miscalculated decision. Time will tell.

132. False
    1:29 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

10 – FALSE. The KSTV report does not mention that Poythress will be back next season. It says “No word on Alex Poythress yet.”

133. Beau
    1:31 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

128) Not everyone who gets drafted goes straight for the Rolex’ and Bentley’s…..

134. T-CATFAN
    1:34 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Delusional: having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions.

Archie Goodwin made the statement that he and his teammates would be delusional to think they were ready for the NBA at this time. I agree. Archie Goodwin is absolutely delusional in his way of thinking. That is evident by his play all season. “I can score against these 4 defenders” – This is delusional! “If I fall to the floor every time I drive to the basket, the officials will automatically call a foul” – This is delusional! “I am ready to play in the NBA” – This is delusional!

Why would any of us think that Archie would make the wise decision to stay in school and let Cal help him improve his game to a level worthy of the NBA? Archie hasn’t made half a dozen non-delusional decisions all season. Why would we expect anything different now? Best of luck to you Archie and your delusional decision-making. I bet you could take Lebron one on one if you really wanted to – go for it young man!

135. lonnieb
    1:35 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

@128
    Lets say he gets 2.5 mil on first contract…….he will have about 1.2 mil after all fees and taxes.

Now i dont know archie but i highly doubt he had a career in mind that he would make more than that over his whole lifetime

If he got a job making 50K he would have to work about 24 years pre tax to make that much money.

So thats why they go to the NBA………you cant use the ole “expensive lifestyle” as a reason to not go pro.

136. Melvit
    1:37 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

The two hijackers are gone.

137. Yes I watch the NBA
    1:49 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Looking back on the past three drafts you’ll find that 19 similar players to Goodwin have been taken in the 1st round.

And 19 have been taken in the 2nd round. These are SG or SG/PG or SF between 6’3 and 6’7. Some are big names like Bradley Beal, Damien Lilard, Austin Rivers, Xavier Henry, Klay Thompson, Iman Shumpert, Grievis Vasquez. These were all 1st rounders.

It’s also worth noting the following teams drafted multiple players in those 3 drafts:
    Utah, Dallas, Boston, NY, Memphis, Detroit, Portland, San Antonio, LA Clippers, Indiana. That’s about 1/3 of the league that’s probably not a candidate to draft another project SG in the 1st round.

138. Truth
    2:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Glad that ball hog is leaving. He is D league bound for 2 seasons at least, then he will be in Europe speaking Italian/Spanish/Russian. At least they have better looking women in Europe…

139. yo
    2:12 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Wish Archie would have come back but happy to have WCS. Best of luck to Archie – he will always be part of BBN.

140. Katdaddy
    2:39 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

See ya and wouldn’t want to be ya!!! Glad you GONE!

141. Sad truth
    3:02 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

At this point in time, Archie is not as good as Scottie Hopson. Read a great article about Scottie on draft night, and no matter how much people told him that he would be drafted, he wasn’t. He called his mom, and said I’ve made a big mistake. If I had an NBA team, I wouldn’t risk 50 cents hoping that Archie to learn how to play over the summer. I like the kid, and someday he may be pro material, but he’s just not even close right now.

142. Dustin
    3:33 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Good riddance, glad to see him and Harrow gone. Goodwin’s exit will help in terms of recruitment of Wiggins. Poythress coming back would be nice for depth and development of the team. Great to see we’ll have 2 7 footers this year again. It will help out development for both and the team. Those 2 seem to be nice interchangeable parts with each one’s strong point being offense(DJ) and defense (WCS). Gives us options for different lineups. This current roster with returnees and recruits are unbelievable as it stands. However, how much sweeter would the red velvet cake at Orange Leaf be if Wiggins came? Just having a greedy thought about him coming, but if it was all over today I would be ecstatic no matter what. It currently stands better than Fab 5, with Wiggins or Gordon we’d just be adding to it.

143. KG
    3:37 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

We hear what we want to hear!! An emotional bunch of freshman that had gone thru a less than thrilling season, saw their leader go down with a season-ending injury and just off a disappointing loss in The NIT should not be held accountable for statements made while under duress that affect the rest of their lives.
    The best of luck to Archie and any others who decide to follow their dreams to the NBA. You will be missed.

144. ukcatzfan
    5:12 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

hopefully WCS can get stronger and IMPROVE HIS FT % alot
    if he can get up to 60 % we may go undefeated

145. hosier Wlldcat
    7:09 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I said last year when all the talk about the four Mc All Americans that Willy would be a star for us. Watch next year and you will see my prediction come true. GO WILLIE!!! I wish Archie and Ryan all the best. I am sure they made the best decision for them selves. Archie will have a pro career. He has the talent to make it.

146. scot
    8:16 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

i love archie, but i think he would have been served better had he spent another 2 years in college. he really could have shined bright by his junior year. i fear now he might get lost in the shuffle and forgotten about while he meanders around in the d league.

147. Paul Wall
    8:34 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

WCS staying and Archie leaving is exactly what needed to happen for next year’s roster. I’m a big Archie fan and would have loved seeing him come back, but I think there would have been a big logjam at the SG spot if he returned. Now that he and Harrow are leaving, the perimeter is less stocked, which guarantees more playing time and less chemistry issues going forward. Overcrowding could have been an issue next season if everyone returned.

As for Willie, he was the one I wanted to return the most because 1) he will start and could be the best C in the country next year, and 2) he takes this lineup to the next level. Dakari will be great, but WCS will start and his length, athleticism, quickness, catching ability and transition skills will fit PERFECTLY with our guys. He’s awesome at throwing down lobs and will be an easy target for our guards. Willie takes us over the edge and solidifies a dominant 2-center rotation with Dakari.

The current lineup just has better talent and balance with these announcements:

PG- Andrew Harrison, Jarrod Polson, Dominique Hawkins
    SG- Aaron Harrison, James Young
    SF- Wiggins OR Poythress, Kyle Wiltjer
    PF- Julius Randle, Marcus Lee, Derek Willis
    C- Willie Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson

Our 3 spot is the only remaining question mark. If we either land Wiggins or bring back Poythress, then we are fine. Stacked if we do both. The only crowded position is PF, but they all do different things so Cal can sub in for situations.

Man, what a lineup…

148. random goober
    6:04 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Being surrounded by NBA players who can each drive the ball, my guy Archie will thrive. No double and triple teams. Just keep taking it to the hole.