Willie Cauley-Stein: “We reverted back” in the second half

Ryan Harrow and Willie Cauley-Stein answered questions after the game and Willie had some interesting things to say about the Cats’ lackluster play in the second half:

“The second half, they outworked us. Again, the emphasis over the past month was playing harder than the guy you’re up against. Today, I felt like at times, I let the kid play harder than me.

Also, the team may have underestimated SEC play, especially after getting out to an early lead:

“You don’t kind of realize it, the SEC is not a joke. It doesn’t matter who you’re playing, every night is going to be like that. … Just like that, we’re down by one.

Was this the wakeup call this squad needed?

22 Comments for Willie Cauley-Stein: “We reverted back” in the second half

1. JBR
    1:01 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

“Was this the wakeup call this squad needed?”

Exactly how many are we going to need this year? The bottom line is that this team has no heart or passion, and very little basketball IQ…and to this point, Cal has no idea how to fix that. That may be a little harsh for all the sunshine blowers, but it is reality.

2. Spenser
    1:04 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Honestly, I don’t know if this will wake them up or not. I mean, we all thought they were awake after the Louisville game. Tonight, we saw them revert in the second half: “Cool Ryan” lost possession on a dribble through the legs, Goodwin still drives without even thinking about passing (he missed a wide open Harrow in the corner late in the game) and throws it at the rim, Alex looks timid for the vast majority of the game, and the bigs seem to play in spurts.

I have no clue what it will take to jolt this team. Here’s to hoping they sort it out before A&M

3. JD
    1:05 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

“I let the kid play harder than me.”

At least he’s honest.

4. Badams
    1:11 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

It was obvious in this first half this team was playin with emotion and hustling. I think when they went up 16pts their old high school habits told them the game was over. But they had to realize, this is not high school and teams are to going to come back. I think these guys did learns valuable lesson, but I think some guys Iike Alex just isn’t gettin it. There is no denying they played a good first half of basketball and to start the second. The zone messed them up and they have to learn to adapt. I do think those were lessons learned. We will see Saturday.

5. VinDatuk
    1:12 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Cal is really close to losing this team. Between his tough love approach with AP, kicking Harrow, and benching Wiltjer while trying to “find” AP he’s dangerously close to a fractured team. If I’m at home watching and a Harrow family member I am not happy with what I saw Cal do.

6. Badams
    1:25 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

5, if u think that was a kick then u are weak as hell. Look at the gif, that is clearly a tap.

7. catdaddy
    1:32 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

#6 To Harrow it probably felt like a gunshot wound.

8. Bobby's Candy Bar
    2:47 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

5) You aren’t serious are you? You play flag football instead of tackle too?? Suck it up Sally.

9. DaveMustainesHair
    3:46 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

That’s not a “kick” … you don’t get a participation ribbon in D-1 college basketball. Time to sack up men.

10. Bobbum man
    3:57 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Hahaha good stuff 7

11. Bigblue
    6:10 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Sean Woods was right on this group.

12. Blue Bore
    7:44 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Do we lift weights on this team? Why are our big men getting pushed around so easy?

13. bigbluejon
    7:58 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Enough talk about “wait until March” and “Kentucky is who you don’t want to see in March”… let’s just accept this team for who they are. The slowest white man on earth, a 5’11” shooting guard, some athletic freaks that have no clue how to play together, and quite possibley the softest PG in the country. Can’t wait till next year and I hope all of these guys leave or transfer.

14. tom
    8:13 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

“Was this the wakeup call this squad needed”

lol. The alarm clock has been going off since late November. Pretty soon its not going to matter if somebody shuts it off or not. It just appears that except for a player or two, these guys just aren’t intrerested in winning or doing what it takes to win.

and 13 – I agree totally with you. This ‘wait til March’ stuff is flying out the window quickly.

Of course, they still have time to put it together but time’s running out.

15. CatSinceBirth
    8:26 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Worst UK game I’ve seen in a very long time. John, where’s this dribble drive you always talk about? Poor ole Kyle. I’m 65 year old and 235 pounds, and I’d lay you money I could go by him. I have never seen a player with less athletic ability. He has two spots on the floor he can shoot from, and they’re the same spot except on opposite sides of the court. He is worthless. Go back to the Northwest Kyle, you’re out of your league here. He would struggle at D2.

16. Uk4life
    8:57 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Bet they all know they’re weaknesses after last night, but I hope they aren’t reading these posts–especially Kyle. Talk about kicking someone when they’re down…….Lighten up folks.

17. niaps
    9:06 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

They are what they are and thats all we are gonna get folks so we suck it up and enjoy an early loss in NCAA or NIT. These guys lack the passion needed. Last years team had big time passion this years team seems to say ” OH Well “.

18. whodat
    9:09 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

@7 u hit the nail on the head. Despite alll the other issues we all saw in the second half last night my biggest concern is Ryan hitting the floor twice like he had been hit in the jewels with a George Foreman uppercut. Neither time on the replay did I see what could have remotely elicited such a reaction. We have seen the same thing happen in the two previous games. Harrow played like a top tier point guard in the first half and has made dramatic strides forward. He is the absolute most important player for this team right now. Without him we may not win 20 games… and watching Archie with the ball in his hands confirms that. A tough minded team will put Harrow on the bench at a crucial point in the game if he doesnt learn that he cannot roll around on the floor like he has been gut shot after a hard play.

19. TubbySays
    9:13 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

This looks like one of my teams that didn’t play well together / listen to the coach / have any heart. Except with better players….

20. AWAT
    9:26 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

A win is a win. Learn from it (which I’m sure they will today) and move on.

21. jim jim
    9:38 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

We are not very good at all.

22. wannabe coach
    10:15 am January 11, 2013 Permalink

Am I the only one who can see that we literally stand still against a 2-3 with 4 players at the top of the key?