Willie Cauley-Stein wasn’t ready to pay taxes

Willie Cauley-Stein’s decision to return to Kentucky wasn’t entirely based on individual improvement and his projected draft position. Of course, those played a pretty large role in his decision to return, but at the end of the day, he just wasn’t ready to grow up.

“I’m a kid,” Cauley-Stein told reporters in this afternoon’s basketball media appearance. “I wasn’t ready to pay taxes.”

He also admitted to enjoying life in Lexington as a Kentucky basketball player. He said he realized that he would just be another guy on the team if he had moved on to the NBA, as opposed to living the celebrity life for another season at UK.

And next season?

“I feel the record will be a lot better, where Kentucky should be,” he told Jerry Tipton.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Willie Cauley-Stein wasn’t ready to pay taxes

1. Brad
    3:08 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Is the pod cast link out yet?
    thanks

2. Ryan
    3:10 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Willie totally gets it. Gotta love that honesty.

3. jon
    3:12 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Finally, someone gets it.

4. Eight Letters
    3:15 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Anybody catch this from Jerry Meyer?

“@jerrymeyer247: Wonder if Nike got n Andrew Wiggins ‘ head n Portland. Been told they love the marketing opportunity of him going to Kentucky.”

That would make sense to me!!

GO CAYTS!!!!

5. ukbradstith
    3:19 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

# 1, yes, been out since lunch. Nice name, by the way.

6. S Spielberg
    3:25 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Methinks he wants to make more videos with KW.

7. asdf
    3:36 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I’ve never said this before, and I’ll probably never say it again, but….”THANK GOD FOR THE IRS!!!”

8. Danny
    3:38 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Good for him! He’s a kid he’s supposed to have fun and not have a lot of worries as of now. Hopefully he stays for his Junior year too 😀

9. Han
    3:42 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Good to hear, and though many people may doubt it, Cal will pretty much accept that reason from any of his players projected high and just help them to better prepare/grow up in their next year. He wants the Top 5 players to go for their own good, but if they really want to return, that’s great for him. A lottery pick returning by choice every once in a while does nothing to hurt his reputation for getting guys to the NBA asap.

If you’ll recall, he accepted Patterson’s desire to come back for reasons of wanting to develop more, leave on better terms, etc.

4) Marketing opportunities for Wiggins would still be tremendous at UNC, and even if he went to FSU, he could still be touted as the next Lebron. He’s not going to be forgotten wherever he goes. This isn’t ESPN artificially ranking Avery ahead of Wall only to see him drop down the board and end up with the Celtics.

Don’t get me wrong. I want him to come here. Hell, I want him to decide to be the best college player ever, win 4 titles, and be UK’s Jordan, the name everyone will always think of. But I know that’s not going to happen, so I’d love for him to be Andrew Wiggins, starting SF for UK in ’13/’14, winner of a National Championship, Frosh of the Year, Player of the Year, Final Four MOP, and #1 draft pick. And then I want anyone else who jumps to go right behind him, all to the worst teams because they all go Lottery – Randle, Harrison x2, Johnson, Young, Lee, WCS, Poythress, Wiltjer, whoever. Then Cal can try to convince the Top 10 to join Towns here next year.

10. Ronald McDonald
    3:44 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I’m luvin it!!

11. So_true
    3:46 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

The podcast from today is on the KSR app but not I-Tunes for some reason?

12. mike
    4:01 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Just my opinion, but I think WCS can be a dominating player this year. I understand all the star studs we got coming in and yeah they’re gonna be fantastic, but once Willie gets his game on – hey watch out. Just my opinion like I say.

13. bosshogg24
    4:29 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

WCS must learn to hit foul shots or be taken out late in the game! He needs a jump shot like Dakari Johnson and a Go To shot that he can count on, all this must be done before October he can’t loaf and goof off! WCS could be a fantastic player if he wants it!

14. yeahright
    5:29 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #12 Mike – with WCS’s motor, just another year of reps to polish his skillset, and I don’t think he has anything to worry about with regards to playing time, the NBA, etc. Based on all of these high school all-star games and our needs by position, it seems like the PG Harrison and Julius Randle are going to make the most noise for the Cats next year. WCS has a lot to look forward to, IMO.

Similarly for Alex, it’s not like the guy was terrible this year… he just needs to be more aggressive and more consistent, and he’ll compete with anyone coming in with no worries.

15. We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable information to paintings on. You’ve done a formidable task and our entire community will likely be grateful to you.