Today we celebrate the birthday of the man who ruined high school English classes for students across America. William Shakespeare would be celebrating his 453rd birthday if he was still writing today. Enough about Shakespeare, let’s get to the news you care about!
1. John Wall has a MASSIVE Dunk
John Wall got fed up ðŸ˜¤ pic.twitter.com/O8IZVM6p7H
– Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) April 22, 2017
Do I really need to say anything else? Wall has been unbelievable this postseason, even if Kentucky players supposedly don’t show up in the postseason… *cough *cough Colin Cowherd *cough *cough.
2. Calipari hits the Recruiting Trail
Yesterday, John Calipari was in Dallas to attend the Adidas circuit games. He reportedly saw: Quentin Grimes, Jordan Brown, David McCormack, Charles Bassey, and Grant Sherfield. Nick Roush went into more depth on the recruits here.
3. UK Baseball goes for the Series Win today
UK Baseball will go for the series win over #8 LSU today. The Cats played a double header on Friday with the Tigers and split the two games. Today’s rubber match will start at 1pm and can be seen on SEC Network + or can be heard on 630 WLAP.
4. UK Softball goes for the Sweep against Mizzou
UK Softball had a great day yesterday with two wins over Missouri. The Cats won game one by a count of 4-2 before following up with game two with a 4-0 win. Kentucky will look to complete the sweep with a first pitch at 1pm.
5. Isaiah Briscoe will be in Simpsonville today
Former Cat, Isaiah Briscoe will be in Simpsonville today at 3pm. You can go see Briscoe at Campus Warehouse at the Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass.
campus warehouse tomorrow in simpsonville at 3 see u there !!!
– Slim Bz (@ZayBriscoe) April 23, 2017
6. NBA Playoffs continue today
After an entertaining night last night, the playoffs continue today with:
- Cavaliers at Pacers- 1pm on ABC
- Rockets (Kyle Wiltjer) at Thunder (Enes Kanter)- 3:30pm on ABC
- Celtics (James Young) at Bulls (Rajon Rondo)- 6:30pm on TNT
- Clippers at Jazz (Trey Lyles)- 9pm on TNT
7. UK Track and Field has a big day
The UK Track and Field team had a big day at the Jesse Owens Classic in Columbus yesterday. Your notable finishers include:
- Michelle McKinney- 1st in the Mile
- Jill Weston- 3rd in the Mile
- Jacob Thomson- 2nd in the Mile
- Caroline McCaslin- 1st in 3k Steeplechase
The team is preparing for the SEC Championship that is held next month. The UK Women’s track team is ranked #3 nationally, while the men are ranked #22.
8. WKU Football Spring Game
Yesterday, WKU hosted their annual Spring Game. The team welcomed in the Mike Sanford Jr. era. WKU is coming off of Back-to-Back Conference USA Championships. The news from the game centered around a new tradition that WKU is starting for this season. At the conclusion of every Monday practice of game week, the player of the game from the week before will raise the “W” flag to let the Bowling Green area know that it is game week. Here was video from the first raising of the “W,” which was performed by Covington Catholic alum and Former Hilltopper, Max Halpin.
Here is today’s raising of the “W” flag for WKU Football. pic.twitter.com/1eex8r6WWK
– Sam Gormley (@GormleyKSR) April 23, 2017
9. Other Celebrity Birthdays
In addition to William Shakespeare, today is also the following people’s birthdays:
- John Cena- 40
- George Lopez- 56
- Shirley Temple- would be 89
- Taio Cruz- 32
- John Oliver- 40
- Roy Orbison- would be 81
- Kal Penn- 40
- James Buchanan- would be 226
10. Today’s “National Holidays”
If you have read my wakeup posts in the past, you know that I like to finish them off with weird holidays that are observed today. I have no idea who comes up with them, but hey, some are worth celebrating.
- National English Language Day
- International Nose Picking Day
- National Lovers Day
- National Picnic Day
- National Zucchini Bread Day
- National Lost Dog Awareness Day
- National Slay a Dragon Day
- National Talk like Shakespeare Day
Luckily, for both of our sanities, I refrained from participating in the last holiday. With all of that being said, be sure to follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR! Have a great day and Go Cats!