Will UK football hit its floor this season?

This is ‘the floor’, and the Wildcats are currently just a little bit above it

Nowadays, when I bring up UK football with fellow fans, we all collectively shrug our shoulders. It sucks, but that’s the current state of things. It has certainly felt like a gradual downcline since UK’s last bowl victory, but it is really starting to feel like ‘the floor’ is fast approaching.

During the successful bowl run, we were asking howselves, “Hey, let’s keep this going – what do you think UK football’s CEILING is?” and we’d talk about silly things like how to recruiting out of state against bigger SEC schools, spending more money on facilities, etc. We really talked about that stuff seriously…and now we are looking at the possibility of a winless SEC season.

Well, forget the ceiling. Could this be the season UK football hits its floor? As in: will this be one of the all-time low points for the football program? We’ve been really bad in the past, but if we get zero or one SEC win, that’s about as bad as it gets? Things can only get better from there…right?!

This downcline has had its positive spikes (Towles and other commitments, beating UT, and so on), but it does feel like a depressing fall is upon us. I’ve been a Joker supporter in the past and really help out hope. With that said, I also tried to support Billy Gillispie until he drove UK basketball to its ‘floor’. This is a familiar feeling for me, sadly. And I don’t want it to be. This weekend’s shutout definitely hurt morale,but the loss to WKU was really the game-changing moment I think.

What do you think? Is this the season we hit some sort of rock bottom? Or will we have another that’s worse?

Here’s to holding out hope, righting the ship, and avoiding faceplanting on the floor like Drew Franklin after a long day and night at Tin Roof.

Go Cats!

Article written by Chris Thomas

46 Comments for Will UK football hit its floor this season?

1. CatGrad7072
    8:42 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

We have already hit the floor. By already, I mean the day Joker was named HCIW.

2. Dickie Z
    8:44 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Did you proofread this post? I hope not…

3. shields eyes
    8:44 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

What is a “downcline?”

4. Mr Grammar
    8:53 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

How does one “help out hope?”

5. Blue Jesus
    8:55 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Typically I can look past the simple linguistic errors in these posts, but downcline takes the cake.

6. kycatman
    9:00 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Hit the Floor!! Are you serious?? The Floor has already came up and put some big ass knots on our heads you dummy!! We have way too many bafoons running our Football program and an AD not willing to do anything about it. So, my opinion is that the we can’t get any lower, no place to go but up from here on out, maybe!

7. Downcline
    9:02 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I’m not actually a word, you do realize you suck worse than BTI right?

8. easy now
    9:03 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I think it has felt like a gradual clowndine actually.

9. UC Farmer
    9:08 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Why are posters so mean to thr writers? I’m sure Mr. Thomas doesn’t make a fortune writing this column. He is posing a question. Either answer his question or move on. There’s no since in degrading him for making a few errors. You guys act like a bunch of jerks.

10. Rick
    9:08 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad that KSR is being held to a higher standard of communication by its readers than EVERY OTHER FORM OF COMMUNICATION ON THE INTERNET. Guy made a couple of typos. Jesus, it’s no big deal.

It’s not as if he wrote, “hay, u gyus think UK gon suck dis yerrr,” which is how 99% of UK’s (and every other college’s) student athletes write on Twitter. Then the same fans who are criticizing this post rub one out to that idiocy day after day while they re-tweet it.

11. downtown shown
    9:10 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I reed this post and it’s makes me’s thunk to uze spel check sumtimes. Seriously though,
    football has already hit the floor. If Towles is a red-shirt decision already, then put in
    Whitlow after the poor 1st half by Newton. Not sure if he would have driven the team downfield,
    but you have nothing to lose

12. child, please...
    9:12 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Mitch needs to FIRE the entire staff tonight. We will never get another recruit if the high school kids and their parents think joker will be back. Who would allow their son to come to this dumpster fire of a program.

Joker, anything you did as a player (which wasn’t honestly THAT much) has been all sh!t’d away by how you have run our program into the ground.

13. Eng. majors are bitches
    9:15 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Grow the $uck up!!!! It’s a damn sports blog not ENG.101

14. Brum
    9:16 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

UK football hit the floor a while back, it’s now made a hole in the floor and drilled through the foundation. I am not holding out hope for the football program either. If the university was going to back the football program properly we would have had Rich Brooks for a couple more years but he was fed up with them for not supporting him and the football team the way other SEC programs back their teams. Now we see where that ends up at.

15. English
    9:17 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Downcline? Priceless. Also, “And I don’t want it to be” is not a sentence. I would like to answer your question, but I have no idea what it is. It’s like you had Joker proofread this. This site has the worst football writers in the history of the internet. On top of the information being useless, it is presented like a 3rd grader wrote it. You see that red underline when you type a word? That means it is wrong. That one is free, you will have to study the rest.

16. Mitch Barnfart
    9:18 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad you Ky folks aren’t to smart and hope you never figure out I may be the real problem here. Gosh I brought in Joker and Billy Clyde and will end up costing the school about 5 mill buying out both contracts. Yeah it’s all Joker’s fault and I will bring in a good coach you just watch and see. I here Georgia State has a good coach we might can get…..hmmm…

17. bigcat34
    9:18 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

ok if going winless in sec and a HOME LOSS TO WKU is not rockbottom or reason to change how much farther must we fall before a change is made or needed

18. shields eyes
    9:20 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I hope you guys did a screen cap of Calipari’s Facebook post. It has been removed. It was ridiculous.

19. Mitch Barnfart
    9:20 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Oh wait! I did get Cal right? No darn it I was against that one. Shoot! Just look how good our women’s rifle team and cross stiching team is though.

20. Dr. UK
    9:26 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I am sick of Joker talking about consistency in the program. He was named coach in waiting 2 years prior to Brooks leaving, and was on his staff for many years. All the sudden he talks as if he was just introduced to his players yesterday. Sorry Mitch, I don’t want a UK Alum coaching if they lose. We need an outsider like Charlie Strong. Mitch should also go for his mishandling of BCG and now the Joker hire.

21. Earl Hickey
    9:26 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Hey as long as fans show up for the games there is no reason the admin will force change. You have to hit Barney in the pocket book for him to care. When you start messing with the funding for the girls Scrabble team he will start to notice. I hate to not show up for the kids but something has got to be done. I gave up my season tickets last year and will gladly come back when some changes are made.

22. The Rock
    9:27 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I hope we have hit The Floor, because if we haven’t, The Floor must be just awful. And after we do hit The Floor, hopefully we hit The Door, like we did when Cal was hired. We need a The Door moment for football.

23. Apathy
    9:27 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I am all around you. This season is playing out EXACTLY how everyone thought it would play out. We just wasted a season, yet there will be no refunds.

24. LDS bout done
    9:28 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

I love college football. I’ve supported Cat football for the last 30 or so years, but this falling off a cliff year after the promise we saw with the last coaching staff has me shaking my head. Last years “victories” didn’t mean squat. This is the SEC and if the AD and the trustees continue to go to sleep with the basketball “pillow’ and toss the the football pillow on the floor….we will always be the laughing stock of the SEC in football. No disrespect to the kids who play their hearts out every week and CHOSE to play Kentucky football. Joker and his staff need to go. Drastic changes have to be made. We have great kids, but they need leadership and backing from the school, coaching staff and the fans. Go Cats!

25. truth
    9:33 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Uk football will always blow. People who are dumb enough to buy season tickets should just set their money on fire.

26. Redpup
    9:55 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

When does Operation Win start? What a joke!!

27. true fan
    10:05 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

no cause if you watch the game more then the score you can see it has not hit the floor. fl game the defense played well for the first time this year. the offense played well other then the back up qb not being able to hit wr it would of been a different game with max in there

28. Jimi
    10:17 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

The last time UK went win-less in the SEC was 2000 under Hal Mumme.

Next:
    45 – Bernie Shively
    42 – A.D. Kirwan
    41 – A.D. Kirwan
    40 – A.D. Kirwan
    38 – A.D. Kirwan
    33 – Harry Gamage
    32 – Harry Gamage (1st Season of SEC)

29. Chuck
    10:21 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

This is the first time UK has not scored in a game since 2004. That was the 28-0 loss to Eastern Parkway University.

30. John Calipar's Amazing One And Done Flying Circus
    10:28 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

It doesn’t seem like we have built on to the solid program Brooks left us with . it has been downhill since Rich Van Winkle left.

31. Vic
    12:14 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

Chris Thomas is AN IDIOT !!!! And so is everybody at KSR that thinks Gillispie drove the Basketball program to the floor and not Tubby.And also..Billy’s gone so shut the hell up already !!

32. SATAN
    1:39 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

“hit it’s floor”

“downcline”

WTF!

This dude is hilarious!

“rock bottom” um….maybe

“DECLINE” ya think….????

WOT WOT

Tubby screwed UK Bball

Gillispie was doing his damnedest to put the final nail in the coffin…he was out back diggin’ holes in the ground after he committed suicide. He wanted a hole beg enough to fit UK Basketball in there with him.

What a d!ck!

Brooks was all smoke and mirrors. He left nothing solid. That castle was floating in the air. Give the Brooks worship a rest.

HOW DOES AN OFFENSE THAT DOES NOT SCORE EQUATE TO AN OFFENSE PLAYING WELL??? What kind of Olympic mental gymnastics is that?

Some of you Joker apologists amaze me.

We should leave Joker in place. Let him run UK football completely into the ground. We can let the tailgaters smoke that shit and eat it.

The real “downcline” begins now!!!

33. Edward Gibbon
    1:41 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

The Downcline and Fall of the Roman Empire

34. Edward Gibbon
    1:41 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

The Downcline of Western Civilization

35. Edward Gibbon
    1:43 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

Downcline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh

36. Edward Gibbon
    1:43 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

Downclination

37. Edward Gibbon
    1:44 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

I apologize. That was just hilarious.

DOWNCLINE

DOWNCLINE

DOWNCLINE

That is the new word of the Sporting Decade!

DOWNCLINE!!!

38. Edward Gibbon
    1:45 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

Maybe Mitch will hire a good coach and UK football will be on the upcline…

39. Joker
    1:46 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

I have no upclination to change. Therefore, I will be fired at the end of the year.

40. Big blue Parrot head
    1:47 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

Ten years of season tickets gone and they a never coming Back!!!!!We must hire Terry Bowden. the end… Come on Mitch do the right thing. Terry Bowden Terry Bowden!!!!!!

41. Joker
    1:47 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

I am going to have to downcline your application for the coaching position at UK Football, Mr. Petrino.

42. Word
    1:49 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

I think he meant “downturn.” I could be unroneous in that upsumption.

43. Beavis
    6:53 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

Give Chris Thomas a break,,,,watching UK football has had a numbing effect on the brain. Bottom,,or floor,, has yet to come. While everything depends on the next coaching hire,,,the negatives surrounding the program will effect recruiting for years to come. Joker and his boys will be the gift that keeps on giving. Still think you need to make Jon Gruden say not to the job,,,,just pick up the damn phone and talk to him.

44. Jimi
    7:24 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

Apparently Illiteracy is alive and well in KY.

45. derek
    8:26 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

Its so bad my sopohmore kid and 7th grader will not wear anything UK into the there school in Ohio right not. Not even UK basketball gear. They said during football season anything UK just screams out “loser” !
    I boxed all my UK football stuff up last year and gave it to Goodwill after the UL loss as well as my season tix. 35 years of being a UK football fan down the drain. Tired of it.

46. Greg
    8:40 am September 24, 2012 Permalink

. As a UaK alumnus and a Samford University Post-Graduate. I’m rooting for the mighty Bulldogs on Nov. 17. What better legacy for both the Hire & for exposing the ingredients of the pudding? If Cal gets caught with his fingers in the cookie jar then Mitch’s legacy will be none-to-good. You ARE your numbers….you ARE your statistics. .