Will the football ticket “mini-packs” get you to games?

Last Friday, UK announced it was selling football ticket “mini-packs” to boost ticket sales. The packs come in sets of three or four game tickets, and are priced at $115 and $140 each, which equates to a savings of up to $24 per person over the cost of buying single game tickets. Fans can choose from a variety of games, including a good chunk of the SEC season. The university decided to offer the mini-packs as a result of sluggish ticket sales and a plethora of fans choosing not to renew their season tickets. South Carolina, Tennessee, and Auburn also offer similar mini-packs of tickets to their fans.

Yesterday, I ran a very, very informal poll on Twitter asking if the mini-packs would cause more fans to buy tickets, specifically those who declined to renew their season tickets. The response was mixed, with many saying they have already purchased a mini-pack to others who plan to simply scalp tickets outside the stadium for the games they want to attend. With 40 days until football season, let’s widen the pool. What impact will the football ticket mini-packs have on your plans to attend games this year?

A) None, I renewed my season tickets (and really enjoyed having the cheerleaders and mascot stop by)

B) I didn’t renew my season tickets, but plan on purchasing a mini-pack.

C) I don’t have season tickets, but plan on purchasing a mini-pack.

D) I don’t have season tickets and don’t plan on purchasing a mini-pack. I’ll scalp tickets to the games I want to see. Best offer, baybee!

E) I don’t plan on attending a game this season. See you next year.

None of the above? Tell us about it.

68 Comments for Will the football ticket “mini-packs” get you to games?

1. what the what
    12:11 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

D) but i’m a student, so i don’t how that affects the demographics of this survey.

2. JayBizzle
    12:15 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

D-It is still cheaper to wait 5 minutes befor the game and get crappy tickets and just sneak into better seats.

3. Celticben
    12:17 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

F) I didn’t renew my tickets & I’m not buying a mini package. If I did renew I would have been PISSED to find out I could have paid much less for a mini package and avoided the K Fund. If I want to go to a game, I can get free tickets becasue people won’t be able to sell their extras.

4. Common Sense
    12:18 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

F) I’m a fair-weather fan, I plan on purchasing these mini packs, showing up after the first qtr and leaving after the third qtr b/c we are down 10 pts. There is no way UK can come back from such a hole in 15 minutes. C-ya next week when I do the same!

5. Big John
    12:18 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

E – No game for me. I have zero faith in the football program.

6. bluesince66
    12:18 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

E. Love how UK screws their fans on a regular basis. Cobbs sophomore year when we should have beaten Tennessee tickets were $70 a pop, last year they were giving them away, so I don’t really care if I ever see another game at the stadium.

7. CatGrad7072
    12:19 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

E. To the max! I might watch a game after the announcement that Joker is fired.

8. Raging Against the Machine
    12:19 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I did renew my season tickets and i agree with #3. This is some BS. Next year I’ll know not to renew and wait for the mini-packages. UK, as usual, goes for short-term gain and long-term loss. Dumb, Mitch, as usual. Dumg, dumb, dumb.

9. jaxcats8503
    12:19 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

D

10. Honky Kong
    12:20 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

F) Getting drunk tailgating in the purple lot, listening to SEC foes beat the piss out of us on the radio.

11. Common Sense
    12:21 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

5-7
    Go away and never come back, even “after the announcement that Joker is fired” still don’t come back. You are piece of $h!t fans.

12. HeadScratcher
    12:24 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

G. Kentucky has a football team?

13. DesignatedDrinker
    12:26 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Bought season tickets from 2000-2011. Didn’t renew before last season. Price of tickets is a joke for the product on the field. Can tailgate and watch at home, on TV or scalp tickets at last minute for cheap. Still support them, but I’m not flushing money down the toilet on losing teams, that play 3 cupcakes a year and still can’t make 6 wins.

14. JoePa
    12:27 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

#BBN #BoycottMakersMark Lets make them wish they didn’t drop 8 million in UL’s pockets

15. Cobalt Cat
    12:33 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

E

Not upset or disillusioned – just won’t be making the long haul up from Raleigh this year.

16. TailgatePro
    12:35 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I plan on hitting the tailgates, watchin’ the games for as long as I can stand it, and pounding the snot out of some High Life.

17. ERACTHESE
    12:49 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

F) I’ll be doing something more fun and worth my hard earned cashhhh Like: buying for sale signs for Jokers yard, or renting 9.99/day speacials with full boat from ERAC and ram them into trees jk

18. Kyle
    12:50 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

A… holes need not apply for ANY of these tickets. Thanks in advance, signed season ticket holder.

19. Champ
    12:51 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

A

20. Rockfield, KY
    12:53 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

A. First time season ticket buyer. I love UK sports and I love SEC football. I support the KIDS who CHOSE to play for us over another school, even if it was a Sun Belt school.

21. fireworks
    12:54 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

at least UK will be saving money on the fireworks this year.

22. common Sense
    12:54 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I support watching UK football getting blown out by 100 as CWS falls apart during halftime due to neglect from the Admin.
    I support eating 100 tacos at once

23. yesterdays
    12:56 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I dont have a problem with this. If you actually look at the packages, you are paying face value for the tickets, which is what season ticket holders pay. Also, with a 4 game pack, you have to choose two games from the WKU, Samford, and the other chitty team we play.

I look at is as I am paying my $100 K fund fee for not having to buy this 4-game pack and then figure out what to do with the rest of the games- not go, haggle, etc.

Also, its tougher to sit together with friends- our group has six seats together. No way we could do that scalping. So its all about how you view the experience I guess.

If you dont renew season tickets, do you still get your parking pass? Thats the most valuable piece in all of this whole thing

24. Common Sense
    12:57 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Haha, I guess that was an attempt to mock me. But anyways, read my #11 post for assistance in your life.

25. Mad Monk
    1:00 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

F) I just don’t see anything positive happening this season. Hopefully I’m wrong but I don’t believe I am.

26. Blue forever
    1:01 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I’d say you probably get a free ticket for writing these great stories Mary. What about your family and friends. Tell us are they die hard fans or did they hop off of the big blue bus?

27. LoyalFan
    1:01 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

C. Never really have had the extra funds to buy a full season ticket package, but the mini-packs are perfect for me. I could care less who the coach is, I will support the team, the university, and the players win or lose because that is what a true fan does. Come early, be loud, stay late and support your team. Why would Mitch and the rest of the university spend the money to make the team better if we have fair weather fans? No successful teams have fair weather fans. Look at USC, Nebraska, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc., even in their down years they put 80,000+ in the seats every Saturday. Don’t complain about the team if you are not willing to support them. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

28. SexnNursinHomes
    1:02 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

16- haha

If I lived near Lex, I’d go. Wouldn’t be happy about it, but I’d go. Seems UK wants fans to buy tickets but yet doesn’t want to make the committment to become a better football program.

We have had two 9-win seasons since 1970 something. Marketing gimmick with no real plans to improve the product.

29. Debbie
    1:03 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

We wanted to purchase season tickets this year for the first time in many years – figured we might get some good seats since so many people supposedly didn’t re-up. Ticket prices are really too expensive to watch the kind of games that one is subjected to but that really wasn’t the biggest issue with us. We wanted a parking pass but won’t pay the price. Us old folks need to park near the stadium but can’t afford the $40+ per game for a pass!

30. Rockfield, KY
    1:07 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

28. honest question….. What is the issue here? Fans don’t want to buy tickets if the school won’t make a hefty commitment, but the school can’t make the commitment without fan support which means butts in seats. Does that sound accurate?

31. Blue forever
    1:07 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

#12 Head scratcher, start scratching your big head instead. That appears to probably be the reason why you don’t realize we have a team.

32. putinrichie
    1:19 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

30 – couldnt agree more, the fans who arent buying tickets because they want change arent sticking it to UK at all. Bottom line – UK athletics wont invest in football. This includes coaches and facilities.

33. Charlie Warrior
    1:20 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

C: See LoyalFan’s statement #27 above. Looking forward to cheering on the Cats!!

34. SexnNursinHomes
    1:23 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

30- just saying that UK football support wanes as they keep marketing to the fans without making any improvements to the product. This has been the case for decades. Fans lose enthusiasm, ticket sales suffer. It’s not like I’m making this stuff up. If I was making that up, then why are ticket sales dropping?

I know I sat through 80’s with season tickets with my dad, and we got beat every game. That was not fun. Maybe some people like losing, but I sure as hell don’t.

35. putinrichie
    1:26 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Boycotting the program wont change the outlook of Mitch and co. They will spend even less if the fan support declines. Its why the Pittsburgh Pirates are the most profitable franchise yet have the lowest payroll. UK wont spend on football whether the fans are there or not.

36. BigDaddyUK
    1:35 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

F. UK should have hired Mike Leach … Now UK will watch Washington St play in a bowl game this year

37. SexnNursinHomes
    1:36 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

35- that’s the thing though. Uk fans HAVE been there. For putting out medocre football, our fans are awesome. I think I read where UK fills the most seats for a coninual non-top 20 program. That is big time if you ask me.

Brooks built some momentum and now it seems to have vanished. Plus, ever since the NCAA made 6 wins bowl eligible- it has given us a false sense of success. 6-6 should never ever get you rewarded.

38. Ryan
    1:38 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

E

39. just a though
    1:43 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Why should I buy tickets if the school can commit to doing better than dead last in the conference? By not buying tickets, I am showing the university that I am dissatisfied with the football performance.

Can any of you dudes bitching about fairweather fans think of a better way to get the university’s attention on the topic of the horrible football program?

40. Waiting It Out
    1:47 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Gave up season tickets I’ve had since Mumme’s first year and won’t be back until UK and Mitchy get serious about football.

41. Ronnie
    1:51 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Showing that theres a least a little commitment and effort to have a conference competitive team would get me buying football tickets again.

42. LoyalFan
    2:11 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Boycotting games does nothing to help the program or send a message to Mitch, it only hurts the program. He knows very well the state of the program and has been trying to improve facilities, but he can’t do it all himself. Boycotting games lowers revenue and makes Commonwealth an embarrassing place to bring recruits, hurting the program even more. Fair weather fans can continue to complain to eachother this fall, Ill be in Commonwealth with the rest of the real fans!

43. some kind of moron
    2:13 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

R) I jumped ship and became an Ohio St fan. Go Buckeyes!

44. ukscotty
    2:15 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

45. putinrichie
    2:21 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

37 – Agree about 6-6. Its kind of like making the ncaa tourney as a 12 seed with no quality wins. I dont think making a bowl at 6-6 is a success. That said, this year I would take it because it would mean we eitherbeat UL or won 3 SEC games.

46. SexnNursinHomes
    2:25 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

45- agreed. Good way of making a 6-6 record look good. I can live with that. More than anything I just want to beat charlie strong and shut them up for the 5th time in 6 years.

47. Idiotsaroundme
    2:25 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

If your response is I bought season tickets, I’m pissed I want the mini games, A. you’re a moron because they tickets will suck. I will stick with my 20 yd line home side 29 rows off the field tickets. B. How can you complain we need to fire Joker and want better facilities if you’re complaining about having to give to the K fund. It takes money to convince a big name we are the place. It takes money to build better facilities. Next time you want to type a comment that makes no sense please stop. Cause complaining and not giving money is wasting your breath. It’s like complaining and not voting. You’re just an idiot with your mouth open.

48. putinrichie
    2:32 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

37- I also agree that the fans have been there for a mediocre product. However, declining support wont send UK a message. They will counter less ticket revenue by spending less so they still make their bottom line.

49. SexnNursinHomes
    2:36 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

48- good point. I don’t know how UK football will get over the hump. Just wish it was soon.

50. Daniel
    2:36 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

E Not going to a game until Joker either a) shows some competence he’s never shown before or b) is fired.

51. putinrichie
    2:37 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I agree that the fans deserve more than the product we are getting. I just dont think the decision makers in the athletic department will change their stance based on ticket sales. We may get a new coach but not sure we get a new product.

52. jay
    2:45 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Here is a link for NCAA football attendance rankings. Kentucky is the only school in the top 30 that is never ranked in the top 25 (Other than the 1 year where we went to South Carolina undefeated)

53. CHANCES ARE...
    2:46 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

…Our season tickets will still be less than Penn State’s this year, and so will the product on the field.

54. Preacher Roe
    2:48 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

NOTE TO UK ADMINISTRATION: Giving away tickets (or selling cheaper ones) doesn’t put ‘fans in the stands’.
    A winning football program will sells more tickets than you will have seats for! Why are we putting the cart before the horse? $3 general admission tickets will go unsold if you can’t field a winning program.

55. Already boycotted Makers
    3:18 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

back when they sold out to a foreign company in the late 80’s.

56. passout
    3:23 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Bring back the pass out tickets so we can go out to the parking lot and drink away the horrible first half of football we will watch this year!

57. CatGrad7072
    3:23 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Common Sense. I’ll be back. I hope Joker doesn’t blow your brains out the next time he farts.

58. Beavis
    3:40 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

2 and 10,,,, and lack of revenue will get a coach fired quicker than anything. To many other sports at UK depend on the money generated by the football program. So if ticket sales decline for football it effects volleyball,,,swimming,,,track and field,,,soccer,,,baseball,,,,ect.

59. putinrichie
    4:03 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

58 – Lack of ticket revenue will equal a reduction of expense, not a change in product….mitch will cut whatever corners he has to in order to turn a profit. Jokers fate is in his own hands. Go to a bowl and he is retained regardless of ticket sales. If he continues the downward spiral and misses a bowl than he will be out.

60. OldTimeTicketHolder
    4:05 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Didnt’ renew chairbacks on the 45, row 2 upper deck. The K Fund cost for the product on the field is not worth it . . . period. I can get tickets to any game through friends or at the ticket window for a fraction of the cost. Mini-packs . . . no thanks.

61. putinrichie
    4:15 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

If a competitive and winning culture is ever realistic, than you have to change the culture of the athletic department. Im not convinced a new coach will change the product we get as i dont think the decision makers are committed to building a winner.

62. Beavis
    4:23 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I agree somewhat,,,,Joker may be able to control his own fate,,,but,,I have seen many successful coaches get the axe because he was not able to fill the stands and keep the revenue stream going. Why would we want the AD to start cutting corners just to retain the football coach ? Sounds to me like you are suggesting that he would trim the budgets of the other sports just to retain Joker. You might be right but I don’t think so.

63. putinrichie
    5:00 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

62 – agree, but joker is already safe for this season. Whatever loss in ticket revenue occurs will be made up by making cuts wherever possible so the bottom line still looks good. Next year is different, but jokers retention will be based on wins and losses.

64. bluetexan
    9:31 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

E. FREE Mike Leach so we can enjoy an afternoon/evening watching UK football and not a circus.

65. Fed Up
    10:58 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I’ve attended games since the days of Stoll Field and I’m out. I did not renew my season tickets this season. Enough is enough. If UK Athletics is not interested in fielding a winning football program, I am not interested in spending one more dollar to sit there and watch the annual debacle. Phillips is not an SEC-caliber coach. Period. End of story. Make all of the excuses you want. Facts are facts. “We’re young” has been the crutch year in and year out. “Give ’em time.” I did. 35+ years of it. I’ve earned the right to spend my Saturdays in Fall doing anything else other than suffering through another frustrating, doesn’t have to be loss. Enough is enough.

66. Common Sense
    12:00 am July 25, 2012 Permalink

Alright bye. Real fans never give up.

67. Common Sense
    12:01 am July 25, 2012 Permalink

Anyways, on another subject.
    I’ll give the first person to find me in this picture $5.

68. Bakerboy