Wildcats to lean on Defensive Line

It takes a lot to win in the trenches of the SEC. A successful defensive line means you have  depth, sound technique and a good scheme. Kentucky is coming into the season with all of those things and ESPN’s Chris Low thinks it’s the deepest position on the team.

The strength of Kentucky’s team this season should be right where you want to be stout in the SEC.

The defensive line.

Kentucky coach Joker Phillips said Wednesday the Wildcats will lean hard on their defensive front, and he’s expecting big things from the inside duo of Mister Cobble and Donte Rumph. They’re both juniors, and they’re both well over 300 pounds. More importantly, Phillips thinks they’re poised to be every-down difference-makers after showing it in flashes last season.

“The light has come on for both of those guys,” Phillips said.

Both Cobble and Rumph had excellent spring camps and capped it off with a sack each in the Blue/White game. DE Collins Ukwu should be back from injury and ready to contribute as well. If those the guys are getting to quarterback, Rick Minter’s defense could be one of the tops in the SEC East.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

11 Comments for Wildcats to lean on Defensive Line

1. reality
    9:52 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

We will rely on our punter.

2. Mitch Barnhart
    10:01 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

Matt / KSR, will you guys PLEASE stop with all these football related posts. You realize all you are doing is frustrating the fanbase, right? It is going to be bad enough in a couple months, will you just let UK fans enjoy their summer and revel in the success of our basketball program.

You can put lipstick on a pig – and guess what, its still A PIG. I know I’m going to be fire’n Joker soon enough – if I have to think about all this now, I may pull the trigger sooner than later.

3. Common Sense
    1:49 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

Matt / KSR, will you guys PLEASE continue with all these football related posts. You realize that there are football minded fans that are excited about this season, right? But I have enjoyed my summer, well until I come on this site and read bull s*** comments like 1-2. However, for people that understand football, carry on with your posts.

4. MtnCat
    7:00 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky football is what it is.
    UK uses football for revenue and that’s about it. Don’t get your hopes up that we will compete for anything.

5. Fly Molo
    7:30 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

Keep the football posts coming! 3 is exactly right.

6. Beavis
    7:43 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

You fans that are looking forward to Kentucky football,,,,,you must enjoy pain,,,maybe a root canal .

7. Put in Richie
    7:51 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

UK Football will be serving lots of crow this season. All of these fans like 1 and 2 don’t represent the UK faithful. They are miserable agenda driven people out to destroy UK and have no facts to backup any of the venom they spew.

8. Beavis
    8:00 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

So,,,anyone that does not support the impending disaster that is UK football this fall is out to destroy UK ??? Yep,,,that makes complete sense to me.

9. that guy
    8:56 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

Common – You MUST be Joker. I’m probably a bigger football fan than you guys that claim to be – that is why Joker and Mitch pizz me off so bad for allowing UK football to slip. We were doing ‘ok’ under Brooks, and should have been able to build on that, not regress.

Common, hasn’t Joker told us stories about how good we were gonna be the past couple seasons, just to fall on our face??? Wasn’t there talk of Newton and Couch’s names being used in the same sentence?

I guess the hand full of you guys and Joker that think we’re gonna do something are smarter than the 1000+ media members in Hoover that picked UK to finish last in the East? And we’ve already been over this, a 6-6 record in year 3 or 4 IS NOT A SUCCESS!!! Real schools like ut, will not accept another year like last year from Dooley (and he knows it too). We look at 6-6 as a contract extention year, sad!

10. buzzard
    9:17 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

team Common Sense…I’m with you 100%….. Cobble and Rumph…(630 lbs), are going to be hard to move on the D line. We’ve got a bunch of good running backs and some promising receivers. Patrick Towles is going to be a great QB. We are moving in the right direction.
    Joker is getting some really good recruits. Next year, Jacob Hyde..our 6 foot 3, 315 pound defensive tackle from Clay County who is playing for Team USA in the IFAF 19-U World Championships is going to be an absolute beast. I am really excited about him.

We need more football related posts. And we need non-football fans that don’t want to waste time with football news, but take the time to make posts complaining about not wanting to spend time on UK Football news to STFU.

If you are a Kentucky fan, lets get behind our team and show support for a man who bleeds blue just like we do, Joker Phillips! This IS his dream job. And he beat UT! That was awesome. I was at that game. Thank you Joker for beating UT and ending that embarrassing streak. I hate Tennessee!

We are going to beat Loserville, Point, Blank, Period. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

11. Beavis
    4:38 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Jesus,,,,,I want some of the same Koolaid buzzard is drinking. Makes you out of your mind. How do I get some ??????? Follow Joker and UK football,,,,I am there.