Wildcat Coal Lodge Update

Curious about the progress being made on the Wildcat Coal Lodge? Check out these pictures, and if you want, the whole gallery from CoachCal.com. The Lodge is scheduled to be finished by Fall 2012.

coal-lodge1 coal-lodge2

17 Comments for Wildcat Coal Lodge Update

1. SoCalCat
    3:09 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Coal-lege basketball at its finest…

2. CAUKFAN
    3:18 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Bring on the eco-fanatics!

3. cmcolts
    3:22 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

How long b4 NCAA has an opinion about this?

4. Tom Baker
    3:25 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

#2, no eco-fanatics, just people who believe that some things, like the history of your program (e.g., Joe B. Hall) should not be for sale. But I’m guessing you don’t get that as my guess is that you have been conditioned to believe people like Donald Trump should be held up as heroes.

No reason other than greed and selfishness that it could not have been called the Joe B. Hall Wildcat Coal Lodge. Yes, it sounds stupid but not as stupid as the Wildcat Coal Lodge which sounds like the small shed outback of my grandfather’s house where he kept coal.

But no worries. When a new basketball arena is built and we find ourselves playing in the Whitaker Bank Shot Arena I hope all those who have been making fun of the KFC YUM! Center remember doing so.

5. JBR
    3:28 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Yeah #2…how ironic that there be anything named “coal” at an institution of higher learning. I guess money can be everything. It is not just that coal a*s rapes our planet, but it is just an absolutely stupid name in the best interest of corporate greed. It is our “Yum” center…just stupid.

6. AManFromNantucket
    3:46 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I love uk basketball as much as the next guy, but do they really need a 4 story frickin dream house?

7. Jonah Hex
    4:00 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Well its not like the Yum center because a UK graduate ponied up the money for this building, therefore he can name it whatever he wants.

8. 1700s
    4:00 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

#5, where do you think the power comes from to turn on your lights, computer, or hair dr yer (figured you were one of them too). You libs are so cute. Tell Obama’s colon, I sai hi (since you are obviously so far up his azz you can’t see the light of day.

9. blueJ
    4:14 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Coal is not considered a hazardous waste. If we don’t use the coal in this country it is shipped to places like china or other places that do not have the regulations that we have. Do you remember how bad the smog was for the Olympics. They had to shut down plants so that the athletes could breath. Anyway if we don’t use coal some other country with less regulations will.

10. blueJ
    4:15 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

BTW, I enjoy when I turn on a light switch the light actually comes on.

11. OneAndDone
    5:25 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

#2 It’s a differnt freaking building than Joe B. Hall Lodge. If we build a new arena I guess we should just call it Memorial right? Get. Over. It. Coal is a large part of our economy, and the ONLY reason great paying mega-employers like Toyota and Ford are in our state. Without coal, our state’s economy will collapse as companies flee to more competitive states. Our only attractant to these companies is our cheap utility rates.

12. gossie21
    5:30 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

What a dump. It doesn’t even have walls. I bet it gets really cold in the winter. This can only hurt recruiting.

13. KYStout
    5:57 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Why do the players drive around in Komat’sus?

14. lexslamman
    6:32 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

9/10: why then is my power cheaper in upstate new york than it was in Kentucky? My energy usage is the same, this is not a coal-burning state, and for some reason my power is cheaper.

There are indeed environmental issues with both coal extraction and coal combustion, not the least of which are contaminated water, unusable former mine sites, acid rain and smog. That is neither here nor there. My problem with coal is that it is limited. At our current consumption rates (assuming our population remains the same and we don’t use any more energy than we are using today) we’ll run out of combustable coal in under 150 years, and it will hit a price peak that makes it unusable as fuel long before then. The wise money is invested in renewable energy.

15. Jarweed
    8:39 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

You know the lobby will showcase sculptures made out of coal just like the ones sculpted back in the pre-civil war days.

I’m kinda looking forward to the next photo set that KSR will post which will include the coal countertops, chandeliers, and coal toilets. If a recruit is on the bubble, the chance to sit on a throne of coal and make a tribute to the corporate person who is named Big Coal should get him to make a decision one way or another. Keep up the good work UK …

16. Guck Foodman
    10:30 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Bet there are a lot of people in Japan who wish they had coal powered electric plants.

17. mateotemprano
    11:20 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

can we at least refer to it as the “cool lodge”?