Wiggins canceled home visits because he’s worn out and still trying to get home

elite-daily-andrew-wiggins_crop_exact

As we’ve come to know all too well with the Andrew Wiggins recruitment, things are not always as they seem.

After Jeff Goodman got the Big Blue Nation’s pulse racing this morning with news that Wiggins had canceled his in-home visits with UNC, Kansas, and Florida State, Wiggins’ coach Rob Fulford stepped up to clarify some things. Fulford said that Wiggins canceled the home visits because he’s “drained” from the Nike Hoop Summit, and in fact, due to travel delays, is still trying to get home from Portland. He hasn’t been back to Huntington since leaving for the McDonald’s All-American game three weeks ago.

Fulford told CBS’ Jeff Borzello that Wiggins canceling the home visits “means nothing. He’s just tired. Doesn’t want to deal with it.” While he’s too worn out to host visits, Wiggins will speak to Roy Williams, Bill Self and Leonard Hamilton over the phone instead.

Oh.

57 Comments for Wiggins canceled home visits because he’s worn out and still trying to get home

1. Kev
    10:52 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

That’s how I end relationships too.

2. hmmmmm
    10:53 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Jeff Borzello Wiggins? A future lottery pick journalist?

3. Rambo
    10:54 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Just goes to show how smart Cal was to get his in prior to all these activities! Timing is everything!

4. dave
    10:54 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

so that’s nice

5. NEWMAN
    10:54 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Not trying to start nothin, but did anyone else pick up on the fact this HS kid hasn’t been to class in the last 3 weeks?

6. Wow
    10:55 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

UNC, KU and FSU should be pretty pissed and stop recruiting him…Who does he think he is?

7. Josh
    10:58 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

@5 He goes to a prep school, he probably has tutors with him, or online assignments to catch up.

8. The Stickleyville Slingshot
    10:58 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

5. Such is the life of an elite high school athlete. Could say the same for the Harrisons and Randle

9. Tom
    10:59 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Key words “in-home visit”. If you’re too tired for in-home visits then you must be literally dead.

10. ukfan52090
    11:00 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Until news comes out that he has rescheduled the visits, I’m taking this as great news for UK. If Wiggins considers these coaches’ last minute push to get him on campus not important enough to meet with face to face, then I think it’s a great sign for us. Remember, Fulford said that Wiggins has a hard time hurting anyone’s feelings and saying no…much easier to do that over the phone than have somebody fly into town and tell them face to face.

11. T. Poon Bickens
    11:01 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

“I’m sorry, I’m just too tired to go out tonight,” says the hot girl trying to let down the guy gently. Wiggins just doesn’t want to hurt their feelings with the truth.

12. Travis
    11:02 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Haha…love it!

13. Logic
    11:02 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

It’s 11:00 a.m. in WV and Wiggins is, according to his HS coach, stuck in Portland. Look at the news (for example, Drudge Report) and you will see there are massive delays at airports across the country.

If Wiggins isn’t in WV now, he won’t be for a few more hours. And if he scheduled his UNC visit for this morning, he has likely already missed it or Wiggins won’t be back to WV in time.

So, if Wiggins couldn’t meet face-to-face with UNC, maybe he wanted to cancel his home visits with FSU and KU so they weren’t getting some percieved special treatment.

14. Breaking News
    11:05 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins just tweeted that he couldn’t make his in home visits because he had to wash his hair.

15. brain
    11:05 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Anybody who would let Goodman get their pulse racing is messed up. That guy is seriously fried.

16. brain
    11:07 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

11- Sounds like you know.

17. SeoulCat
    11:07 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

It’s much easier to tell someone “no” over the phone than in person. Good news for the Cats. Nothing has changed.

18. *raises hand*

5, I did!

19. Delk for 3
    11:10 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

5 — You don’t have to actually be at a school to accomplish learning objectives. I’m sure he does a lot of work on the computer and the Internet.

20. Rae
    11:12 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

9. Don’t start rumors.

I believe he’s exhausted. I also believe he could have rescheduled if he cared enough. The fact that he said he doesn’t want to deal with it says a lot. If one of those three were his future coach, why wouldn’t he want to deal with them, even at a later date since he has until the middle of May.

21. Ridge Runner
    11:13 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Just curious… what’s the record for longest time / date to announce where you are going to school?

22. BBN#1
    11:17 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

ridge runner it probably was none other then john wall who waiting untill the last few days

23. Tim Tebow
    11:18 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

This kid says he wants the best place he can win a championship. He seems to not want to be the sole player and get all the media attention, they say he is shy. Hes already said on record if he went to UK theyd be unbeatable. He would be surrounded by other kids just like him on a loaded roster. Kansas just lost everyone, FSU- lol. UNC lost bullock. So with all of that being said, UK makes the most sense followed by UNC. Even if Wiggins goes to UNC I still believe this Kentucky squad will be too much for UNC next year. Hairston is nice so isn’t McAdoo, but bullock huge loss. We shall see, but with all that being said I think hes going to UK or UNC, FSU or Kansas just don’t seem to fit with what he wants…. unless he follows mom n dads thoughts.

24. chad
    11:19 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

does a in home visit take all day? no he could probably d all three visits in one day if he wanted. and what is he tired from? playing basketball eating taco bell and playing xbox with towns?

25. Ridge Runner
    11:20 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

22, BBN… yeah, I see where Wall comitted “May 19th” in 2009.

26. Doc
    11:21 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

give some thanks to airline, harder to convince people over the phone

27. Tdr76
    11:22 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Not asumming anything but this has got to be good news!

28. tupac
    11:22 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

hes been bombarded by UK players past couple of weeks, I think he believes that’s the best place for him but may not want to have a alex poythress behind him who could take minutes away. I feel poythress is going to be a changed man next year. Kentucky will be fine if wiggins doesn’t even go to UK. 40-0 though would be big possibility if wiggins went to UK, I mean that’s downright unfair if he does lol. 2/3 deep at every position n size n athleticism n shooters.

29. Blue Genius
    11:22 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

According to Evan Daniels, Wed is last day for in home visits. Can still contact via phone but cannot “reschedule” visits with schools. Cal will be the last to have visited. Good position to be in.

30. Ksu
    11:22 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

I have to say, after watching the other uk recruits play over the last few weeks, I don’t care if he comes or not. I think uk is set.

31. Doc
    11:24 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

remember, best player is the country does not need to worry about starting or playing time

32. Get Out of Your House More Often
    11:25 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Yes you need a license to fish or hunt in KY. Would be sad if you were fishing with your cane pole and your hosts had to confiscate your gear and give you a ticket.

33. bill self
    11:26 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

I can only imagine the faces of the coaches around the country if Wiggins commits to a already loaded UK roster..

34. Musehobo
    11:30 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

He can’t reschedule visits. According to Evan Daniels, Wednesday is the last day for visits.

Furthermore, If he couldn’t make the meeting with Daggum Roy, the smart thing to do is to cancel all of them, especially if you’re drained from a 3 week trip, that way people don’t read into it. Sad to say, but I don’t think we can spin this our way. Only positive note is that Cal was smart enough to visit him before this trip. Dude is so awesome at this.

35. Jeremy
    11:32 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

#30 We do not care what you think since you are not a UK fan! Quit trolling and go to your own team message board. The REAL UK fans realize the type of talent Wiggins has and know how special it would make UK’s class if he were to commit to UK! Better then the FAB FIVE! We would love to have you Wiggins! And why go to unc, jordan went there. Create your OWN legacy! Be the best to ever wear KENTUCKY across your chest, not to mention being on the BEST college team of ALL TIME! GO CATS!

36. Jeremy
    11:35 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

If you go to unc, Roy will be trying to talk Wiggins into staying all four years… He would be like, my sources are telling me that you should come back to school! Well coach i will be the top pick in the draft, roy would reply: well son I think you should come back to school… Cal is honest with his kids roy williams is NOT honest with his kids and they pay for it! harrison barnes, macadoo, etc.

37. Oldman
    11:39 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

I’d love him as a Cat, but it’s not a huge deal if we don’t get him. Don’t forget for every can’t miss superstar like Andrew Wiggins, there was Felipe Lopez (offered millions to play overseas while in high school), Ronnie Fields (50 inch verticle), and Lenny Cook(ranked a spot higher than LeBron James at one time). The most dominate college player in my lifetime never won the big tourny. (Ralph Sampson)

38. Ksu
    11:43 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

#35, I know I’ve whopped your a$$ on here many times, but I was saying the other are really good & if he can’t……….oh what go F$$$ yourself.

39. UKBlue1!
    11:43 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

The first post about Wiggins, I got all warm inside. Then to come to find out there was a logical reason why he can’t visit with the coaches. I wish KSR would get it’s crap together before posting something. As a diehard UK fan, I want a site that is for UK only. So I come on here often. Wiggins, I figure will not being going to UK. I think he will end up at UNC because they need players. Having said that we will be fine. Randall, Johnson and the twins are the real deal. As long as Poythress and WCS don’t change their mind between now and the NBA’s deadline we will be very good next year.

40. B-man
    11:56 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

The fact that he still plans to have phone “meetings” with all three makes me wonder if a decision is looming sooner rather than later. If Andrew was not in a hurry to make a decision, why not just postpone/reschedule the meetings rather than continue with phone meetings?

41. I Say
    12:05 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

40 Wednesday is the last day coaches can meet with recruits in person.

42. Rae
    12:11 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I suppose he could have all three on Wednesday. That would be difficult though.

43. Three a Day
    12:24 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know if Wiggins doing all three phone visits on one day or is he planning to keep the previous schedule for the in-home visits (one on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday)?

Also, is it possible that Cal wanted to meet with Wiggins this week but was told that there wasn’t any time because Wednesday is the cut-off and Wiggins just saw Cal?

44. the Big Dog
    12:55 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Looks like he may have made up his mind. However, as much as I want to see him at UK, I don’t think we can assume that he has picked Kentucky.

45. Tuesday Plans
    2:05 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

3pm Wiggins plans to have an after school snack. I can confirm that his Mom recently purchased a large supply of Hot Pockets Ham and Cheese Variety. It is done deal, that he will eat this after a good 3 minutes in the microwave. Wiggins is then planing to talk to FSU at 3:15. Because Wed. is trash day his dad will then tell him to take the garbage out to the road. At about 4:15 KU will call at the same time his brother will make a last minute text to him to get him to become a shocker. At about 5:00pm he will check the latest Vines out. (Unconfirmed if the WBA is producing a vine for him to watch or not) At 5:15 UNC calls. He will then decide to sit on the coach and play some video games, before he doe shis math homework. After that there will be roast beef for dinner.

46. Tom Blevins
    2:06 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

It may not mean anything that Wiggtens canceled the in home visits. Still, I wonder if old Roy had to change his pants after hearing the news.

47. Linda Taylor
    2:24 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

45 – That was funny but you showed how much you don’t know about Wiggins. He doesn’t live at home with his parents. He lives in Huntington, WVa where he goes to school. His parents live in Canada.

48. shannon
    2:29 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

People are tired of hearing about Wiggins and I will be glad when he picks his 1 year school.

49. Bobby Knight's Shrink
    3:28 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Agreed # 47…..I’m sick of it !!!

50. #38's MOM
    3:35 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Hey bud, you and your lil girlfriends couldn’t whoop my pinky toe… Oh wait go f%#$ yourself while I f%^% your mom.

51. theodemus
    3:38 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Do these kids ever have to attend classes?

52. Shy... I'm sure
    4:16 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I am baffled at the media reports and most Kentucky fans who claim that Wiggins is shy and does not like attention. If this were true… can someone please explain why this process is still going on? There seems to be a lot of you who know him so please enlighten me.

53. Eric K
    6:14 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

It’s easier to tell them no on the phone….. All the haters can SUCK IT! WIGGINS WILL BE A WILDCAT!! GO CATS!!

54. Ksu
    7:54 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

#50, how are you going f$>¥ my mom, when your stuck in the middle of the circle jerk? Besides, she is 70. So the jokes on you. Whipped your a$$ again.

55. Ksu
    7:55 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Goodnight

56. Ksu
    9:53 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Oh, I just looked @ the time of your post #50/Jeremy. Were you getting on the bus young man? Going home to suck your momma’s tit?

57. big O
    9:57 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Sounds to me like ole coach Fulford is enjoying the media attention as much as anyone !!!!!