Wiffle Ball Tournament Ends In Spectacular Finish

The above video comes to us from Vermont where the Travis Roy Wiffle Ball Tournament was taking place. There are a few ridiculous things going on here, besides the amazing over-the-wall catch to end the game. First, who knew wiffle ball was this serious? I was asked to play in a wiffle ball tournament in Cincinnati back in July but the registration had already closed; I had no idea this was such a national hit. Second, there is what seems to be a TV broadcast of this game. Maybe it is an internet stream or whatever, but there are on-screen graphics and announcers, so this is the real deal. Finally, third, they are playing in a 1/4th scale replica of Fenway Park called Little Fenway. That is about as hardcore as it gets; I want a Little Rupp, Little Fenway and Little LP Field in my backyard once I get out of graduate school. Maybe even Little Kentucky Speedway.

This Game-Ending Wiffle Ball Catch Is Pretty Damn Impressive [Deadspin]

@TylerJohnsonKSR

Article written by Tyler Johnson

15 Comments for Wiffle Ball Tournament Ends In Spectacular Finish

1. SuperTroy
    9:38 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

Looks like ump is signaling a home run…

2. Dandy Don
    9:41 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

Vermont obviously needs to stick with what they know like Ben and Jerry’s ice cream and lighthouses. Umpire ruled that homerun robbing catch a homerun. Dandy field though

3. Dandy Don
    9:50 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

I normally don’t let wiffleball upset me on a Sunday but that ump is the worst. If that call was a country band, it would definitely be Rascal Flatts. The worst.

4. tyrus
    9:58 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

Played in an indoor Lexington Wiffle Ball League one year back in the mid or late 80’s. The field looked like Fenway with the large left wall.

5. Credit
    9:58 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

Barstoolsports.com had it first

6. WRB
    10:45 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

Don’t know the rules in wiffle ball, but in softball you have to come down in the field of play for it to be an out. If the rules are the same, that is a great catch, but still should be a homerun.

7. Sexington
    10:49 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

I think the announcers use of “miracle” was somewhat liberal.

8. Msmo
    11:25 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

Good God, we need to get some sports going around here. Would somebody please commit? Looking at you Mudialy. Save us from this pain.

9. Hal
    11:37 pm August 11, 2013 Permalink

“that is the best catch i’ve ever seen……. here at little fenway”

10. bigcatstanding
    3:16 am August 12, 2013 Permalink

#3. I wasn’t going to get in on this conversation maybe you have eyes but you definitely don’t have ears. Rascal Flatts is the best country group now and maybe ever, get your head out of the rap bass speaker maybe you would know the difference. they got robbed on the play big deal, happens all the time in back yards games.

11. bigcatstanding
    3:20 am August 12, 2013 Permalink

I change my mind a ball when it is caught has to come down in the field of play. If the player catching the ball ends up over the fence or in the stands that’s where the ball is.

12. Meh
    8:49 am August 12, 2013 Permalink

Not impressed at all with that catch.

13. Teachable Mo'
    9:13 am August 12, 2013 Permalink

Ah, spectacular whiffle ball catches.

[insert shimmery visuals and echoing voices that lead us back-back-back to Summer 1960]

I’ve asked my oldest sister to hit me fly balls out in the back yard. Whiffle ball only. For around five minutes everything proceeds as you might expect from a 14 year old girl trying to use a bat and ball for the first time. But eventually she connects, and the ball goes directly over my head. Most male kids of that day dreamed of being Willie Mays, and his over the shoulder catch of the Vic Wertz smash in the ’54 World Series is legendary. So, I immediately turn and run after the fly. In 3 steps, I’m going as fast as I’ve ever gone before. In 4 steps, the clothes line has caught me by the windpipe, and my feet and my head approach parity in altitude.

But I caught the ball.

14. miggles
    10:55 am August 12, 2013 Permalink

What kind of dork wants a Mini LP Field?

15. catdaddyd
    5:18 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

#6 I agree, but I have seen several in the majors this year that have been called out as well. Don’t believe it used to be years ago. Remember when they use to call carrying/palming in basketball, there wouldn’t be crossovers without it.