Why You Shouldn’t Complain About The New Platinum Look

We’re seeing A LOT of negative feedback in the comments and on Twitter towards Kentucky’s new Nike Hyper Elite Platinum uniforms. It seems the majority of Kentucky fans aren’t satisfied with the alternate jersey, and many are acting like the world could come to a disastrous end once UK takes the court on January 31st against Tennessee.

Let me tell you why you shouldn’t be so upset over the new look:

It’s an alternate jersey.

You’ll be OK if you have to sit through a game (maybe two) with the new look. If you’re too stubborn to handle that, Tom Leach and Mike Pratt do a great radio broadcast during Kentucky games. You can listen to them and picture your favorite basketball players wearing whatever your little heart desires. Picture them gliding up and down the court on blue unicorns if it makes you feel better.

The University of Kentucky isn’t changing its school colors to platinum plus and blue, this is part of the new age.

Again, it’s just one game. You’ll survive.

1996.

If my memory serves me correctly, UK’s denim uniforms in 1996 were despised from Pikeville to Paducah. The Converse threads have been called one of the ugliest uniforms in sports history and they’re still brought up today in conversations by UK fans reminiscing on the past.

You know what else those denim jerseys did? They won a National Championship.

My point is, when we look back on this season, what the guys were wearing will be the last thing we talk about.

I don’t care if Kentucky comes out in assless chaps, a Hawaiian shirt, flip-flops and a cowboy hat. Just get #8.

It’s made from recycled polyester.

Technology!

You’d complain if we didn’t have them.

The new Nike Hyper Elite Platinum line of uniforms is exclusive to teams that have reached elite status. Only teams that have won a National Championship in Nike gear will be wearing the platinum look.

So, whether you like them or not, be honored to be a part of the elite. If Nike made these for Syracuse, Arizona, Florida, and UConn, and left Kentucky out, you’d throw a fit about how the Cats weren’t included.

Oh wait, that happened four years ago. And we complained about getting snubbed.

Embrace it.

It’s not for you.

Just like the black uniforms in football, this is about what the players want. I bet all 11 of those guys are excited to wear the new look against Tennessee. Plus, the Nike Elite status looks good in the eyes of recruits. Should we worry about what MKG and Shabazz like, or what UK Bob in Letcher County likes?

There is nothing wrong with wanting the traditional blue and white look, but keep an open mind towards what the younger generation likes too.

Now, if you still have a complaint about the new uniforms, we have little exercise to get your point across. Write your criticism down on a piece of paper, fold it up in a little ball, put it in your pocket, and go about your day.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

253 Comments for Why You Shouldn’t Complain About The New Platinum Look

1. bourbonbelly
    2:02 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I hated them when I first saw them because they looked grey, this picture though completely changes my mind. The “platinum” color is much better.

-bb

2. Tennessee Wildcat
    2:07 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Ouch. Go get em Drew. I’m over 35 and I think this is a good thing as long as it is supported by the team. I don’t care what they wear as long as it is blue and white and is acceptable. The platinum color does look good and if the recruits like it, then life is good.

3. yeah first!!
    2:07 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I still bet most of the complaints will be about the atrocious blogs and poor writing.

4. TurtleMan
    2:08 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Turtle Awesome!

5. Bob in Letcher county
    2:09 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I really like the uniforms!

6. lol
    2:09 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Boom, roasted. Courtesy of Drew Franklin.

7. Drew Franklin
    2:09 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

3. — Those are very acceptable complaints. We never claim to have Hyper Elite status in writing.

8. Bunzz
    2:10 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Well said, Drew.

9. Tigolbitties
    2:10 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Too much grey, and way too bland.

10. chuckdizzle98
    2:10 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hell yea Drew, hell yea.

11. JoeMoney333
    2:10 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Amen Drew!

12. DB11
    2:10 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

As my girlfriend would say, WABAM! Go Cats!

13. Stylz
    2:10 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

It’s not the CHANGE of uniform, it’s the fact that most fans simply think they are ugly, especially for such BIG DEAL in regards to new uniforms from Nike. The previously posted pic of the uniform look nothing like the one in the rendered advertisement pic (see above). If they did there wouldn’t be soo much complaining.

14. Greg
    2:10 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Spare me…….they look like they should all be in the NIKE PRISON LEAGUE…..

The only thing Hyper Elite about these jerseys will be the price

15. ZRowe
    2:11 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I AGREE…good post. I am almost embarrassed by the negativity of the UK fan base over the past two-three weeks. It really blows my mind that people complain about everything. ENJOY THE RIDE FOLKS!

16. JoeMoney333
    2:11 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Also maybe I’m not 35+ like most of the ppl complaining but I think they look pretty cool. Not for a daily uniform but for an alternate I like.

17. Jiminy Cricket
    2:11 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Bitches gonna bitch….

18. wldctky
    2:11 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

if enough boosters over the age of 35 start bitching and threaten to stop writing checks… they won’t even wear them Saturday!

19. Chubbybunnny
    2:12 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’d love to see drew’s fat ass in one of these uniforms – like trying to roll a marshmallow into a spliff

20. Brian Storn
    2:12 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

This post brings KSR DANGEROUSLY close to insular bubble that is our modern day media. “We shouldn’t complain”…about anything??? Seriously? That’s what you thrive on – OUR PASSION for EVERYTHING UK! Including their uni’s. While i responded on CoachCal’s sight, for now, i will reserve judgement until i see them under the lights during a game. BUT, the way Nike chose to present them (both visually and UK with other CBB entities particularly that devil’s team down South), i completely disagree with both of those decisions. Nike should be treating UK’s account with kid gloves and separate from all the rest b/c we are. i mean how many other programs are even commenting right now on the new uni’s??? …even announced them yet? We all know that the Big Blue Nation is the most amazing fan-base in the world and by far the best in the CBB nation. And this is just more proof of it.

In the end, as many have stated, if we win with them they stay, we lose they go. Although, there’s not a real, serious fan among us that thinks the uni’s matter; particulary, with this team. So, it is all STYLE-based. And on STYLE alone, from i’ve seen…well, i’ll just wait to see them live or on TV until i bash them again.)

21. btowncatfan
    2:12 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

As long as they don’t wear the speedo’s like the Georgia fan from last night, I’m fine with it.

22. HOO HOO
    2:12 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

WAAA! Poor UK fans complaining about new colors the team might wear. No matter what colors they wear they didn’t beat Indiana this season!!! We’ll ride that one point victory all the way to the tournament, possibly even the sweet sixteen if we get a favorable draw!!! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!

23. macon_volfan
    2:13 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

My thing is: why the UT game? You all may hate UT orange, but it is what it is. It’s not like any other school’s orange. It’s UT v UK, the most played ‘rivalry’ in the SEC. It should be Orange v Blue. I’d love it if both school said ‘screw you’ to the NCAA and SEC and wear the primary color for both football and basketball. No white on the field/court. Just orange and blue. Tradition, not dollars. It used to mean something. Wear the platinum against UF or Georgia or Ole Miss. I’d be upset if UT wore gray vs Bama in football to ‘get the players hyped up’. Tradition means something; it’s what UK fans (rightfully) hang their hats on…..

24. jpgott2
    2:14 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Why is everyone making a big deal about this? Only select schools are getting them, for a limited time, and they are really not that bad looking. Just go with it, and quit complaining about the dumbest stuff! I always like things like this, and maybe our kids will come out a play lights out in their new attire. People make such a big deal about the smallest things, and it needs to stop.

25. T.J.
    2:15 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

22- What tournament? The NIT?

26. ktmiln2
    2:15 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Why does Nike and Drew Franklin hate America? Why? Blue and white not blue and platinum!!! Where’s my geritol??

/sarcasms

27. Greg
    2:16 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Can we limit the time that these unis are out there to one day only???? For Life???

28. Andy
    2:16 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

We have every right to like or dislike the uniforms and equal right to express that opinion as you do to express your excitement. While many of the negative comments are hyperbolic and over the top, there really is no need for such a condescending post targeting those that disagree.

29. CATFANRAN
    2:16 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

It think it will be awesome in all the young recruits eyes and present players, Heck A.D. might even get a triple double.

30. Smiley Pete
    2:17 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

31. ktmiln2
    2:18 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

28. I disagree. The same people complaining about uniforms are the same people complaining about dancing, Marquise Teague getting blocked too much, tattoos, etc. Someone needs to take them down a peg. The vocal minority of fans sometime make the silent majority look bad.

32. CATFANRAN
    2:18 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

get out the tissue and hanky for 28, he is drooling and slobbering from self pity

33. tdr76
    2:18 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Our school colors are BLUE AND WHITE, not gray. As far as it coming from people 35 and older, what does that matter? I believe this team is the Commonwealth’s team, and that meants it represents everyone in the state, regardless of age. Can you say BLUE AND WHITE, not gray.
    ps. #22 How many games has the little team from Indy won lately?

34. jpgott2
    2:18 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

hahaha 22., I love that you are on here talking about that 1 point victory, because it shows that it means so much to you. That shows that we are relevant, and have won 16 of the last 21 against IU. It means more to you then to us.

35. ktmiln2
    2:18 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Well, we all know that Andy and Smiley Pete are the same person now, so there’s that.

36. HOO HOO
    2:18 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

What the…!?! C’mon Cat fans! Someone please pay attention to me! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!

37. footballsux
    2:19 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

UK Bob, definitely. How could you even ask?

38. Stylz
    2:20 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Again, Drew, it’s not necessarily the CHANGE of the uniform folks are complaining about, it’s the fact that most simply think they are ugly…confederate grey comes to mind. They look nothing like the one in the rendered advertisement pic. If they did look nice and shiny/glossy there wouldn’t be soo much complaining…how can unis made from plastic bottles be so bland?

39. MarketingAnalyst
    2:20 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Looks like the pictures keep changing.

Why the negative feedback? Somebody has done a piss poor job of displaying them.

This latest picture above looks completely different.

I like that for a game or 2.

40. jpgott2
    2:21 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain……….Did I leave something out?

41. HOO HOO
    2:21 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

33) As a matter of fact, we just WHOOPED UP ON Penn State on Sunday Night by 19 points!!! We’re back, BABY!!! 34) That one point victory for IU is better than that one point loss for UK!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!!

42. Peyt
    2:22 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I think the jerseys look awesome! At least our UK blue looks incredible with the platium, as compared to those poor schmucks with orange and red in their school colors! Those look atrocious!

43. He Hate Me
    2:22 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

BBN is like a divorced 40 year old, mother of 3 on her period. All of these negative comments about the team, players, jerseys, etc is really getting old.

44. MadvilleMaroon
    2:23 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Drew, I typically love your posts, and I’m from Madisonville so I probably love them more than most on here. But I am offended as hell that you are calling out people over the age of 35 as being old. Yeah, I know that wasn’t your exact wording, but most of the comments about the uniforms have said ‘old people hate these’ so your paragraph saying “And chances are most of the griping is coming from people over the age of 35. If you don’t like them, look in the mirror and ask yourself how old you are. Boom. I told you.” is offensive. I am 36yrs old and I think the unis are ok. Suck it, jerk.

45. jpgott2
    2:25 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

41., 16 wins in the last 21 against IU, and 1 loss on the season. IU has lost to Minnesota @ Home, and to Nebraska on the road! Hahahaha, you are going to get dusted in the big dance!

46. HOO HOO
    2:25 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

25) IU hasn’t been in the NIT since 2005!!! UK was there in 2009!!! IU wins again!!! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!

47. ktmiln2
    2:26 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

43. Yeah, I think I’ve about had it with the comments and a lot of the call in shows. The worst thing is, it’s pretty much just the same small group of people who call every show to complain, because their life has nothing more going on.

48. budronian
    2:26 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Ugly jerseys or not, me personally, i could care less on what they wear, Kentucky is and always be the best team in the land!!!

49. Wes
    2:27 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Well said! That is all!

50. Blake
    2:27 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I remember in 96 when everybody bitched about the denim uniforms, because they were too close to North Carolina blue. So stupid. We won a championship. When I wear Ron Mercer’s denim jersey, everyone including other team’s fans recognize the jersey from the 96 team. I personally think the uniform is awesome. It sets us apart from other teams. It looks great to recruits. It’s also a nice alternative to the tired combination of only blue and white uniforms. Win, win. This kind of bitching is why other teams’ fans believe UK fans are ridiculous.

51. We R UK
    2:28 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hey…not everyone over 35 dislikes this look! I love it! I’m glad they will be worn in the Tennessee game to drive home the fact that UK is ELITE!

52. gabriel
    2:28 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I WANT THE DENIM UNIFORM BACK!!!!!

53. HOO HOO
    2:29 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

45) You’re talking about ancient history!!! How about this stat? IU winning percentage is 1.000 since Dec 10, 2011!!! IU has won 100% of the last ONE GAMES, the only one that matters… the latest one! UK would get squashed by powerhouses in the Big Ten, especially the likes of Minnesota & Nebraska but UK is too scared to play them! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!

54. UKBlue
    2:29 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

UK fans will find anything & everything to complain about; who cares about these uniforms, these uniforms are considered for the Elite programs, this is the top of the line Nike apparel, what the haters think is irrelevant because we’re wearing them whether you like them or not, and Anthony Davis Says Shut UP !!

As long as the boys are winning, who cares if they’re wearing a Nike banana hammock, Nike parachute pants, new Nike members only warm up jackets, and Nike shoes with no shoe strings.

Shut up & Cheer on the boys !!

55. Jiminy Cricket
    2:29 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

“I don’t care if Kentucky comes out in assless chaps, a Hawaiian shirt, flip-flops and a cowboy hat.” CLASSIC!!!!

56. John Tummelson
    2:30 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

No big concern over the advertising campaigns that all the makers of uniforms, shoes etc. make from time-to-time. What I like is that uniform is over 40% lighter than normal. I was not aware that heavy uniforms were a huge problem in modern day NCAA basketball. Now I know.

57. jpgott2
    2:30 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

46., 6-25, 10-21, and 12-20 are your previous 3 records for IU. You guys were not even good enough to make the NIT! HAHAHAHAHAH….UK wins again! Is that what you say?

58. blueink
    2:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

i hope these become our permanent unis

59. PACatFan
    2:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

22. – I love that you are “hopeful” for a sweet sixteen appearance when us Cat fans are looking to cut the nets down.

60. greg
    2:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

wonder why alabama football never wears black or gray and still gets oh i dunno the best players in the country…. just wondering.

61. Hash
    2:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I think some people look for stuff to bitch about. I love these unis. I think they are sharp. What is wrong with grey (platinum)?

62. uk fan in il
    2:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I say we go with the assless chaps! Right ladies?!

63. Dumbledore
    2:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hey Drew, how about you let people form their own opinion? If you disagree, well, too bad.

I hate it when KSR tries to play gatekeeper about BBN’s opinion. We love the site but reserve the right to form opinion’s separate from the those of the KSR brass.

And for the record, they’re pretty clean uniforms.

64. Loosier
    2:32 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

41 WOW YOU WHOOPED UP ON PENN STATE? HOLY CRAP THAT IS AMAZING! Penn State is one of the best basketball teams out there. Where are they ranked? Certainly that wasn’t the same Penn State team that UK whipped 85-47 earlier this season, is it?

65. catsfan74
    2:33 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Ahh…. those 96 denim uniforms. hated those, but still have my un-open commerative Makers Mark (denim) bottle.
    Waiting on #8 before i open it and celebrate.

66. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    2:33 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

41. Let me remind you who beat Penn State earlier this year by 38. Let me runs you who hasn’t played in the tournament in 3 years? Or is it 4? Let me remind you who lost to Tubby and an underachieving gopher team AT HOME. Let me remind you who lost to the worst team in the big ten at Nebraska. Let me remind you who has 7 and who has 5. Let me remind you who has the number 1 recruiting class EVERY year. God, I hope we play you in March, IF you get in that is..

BURN

Loo loo loosiers

67. Blue Bayou
    2:33 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hey who who whosiers. How many all time wins and national championships do you have? #AdolphRuppSaysShutUp

1 loss on the road > 3 losses on the road and 1 loss at home.

68. PACatFan
    2:34 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

53. – Your comment is so ridiculously far fetched that I can’t even argue your point of us being scared to play Minnesota or Nebraska.

69. Brentton Akers
    2:34 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Not everyone over the age of 35 hates them we get that but the ones complaining are over that age for the most part. These look great, the players are going to love them, and so will the recruits. This is the Commonwealth’s team as someone pointed out earlier but you have to remember it is the University of Kentucky these are decided for college kids!

70. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    2:34 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

These are bad AZZZZZZ. My only problem is with Nike’s definition of Elite. Arizona, Syracuse, and Florida? When do Arkansas and Marquette get their unis?

71. HOO HOO
    2:34 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

IU would never wear those ugly uniforms!!! #CodyZellerSaysShutUpAnthonyDavis HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!

72. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    2:34 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Oh, and I LOVE the unis. Wish we had them in black too…

73. chad spalding
    2:34 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

This is extremely silly, it is not like we are wearing red or puke orange, its grey and blue. You show me any fan that has a UK t-shirt that doesn’t have blue and grey trim in it. I personally really like the uni’s and can’t wait to purchase my #14 in this style. The majority of those who disapprove of the new look are the ones who think one and dones are killing our program. Like Drew said listen to the radio, clearly that is what you are used to judging from your perspectives. This is a new age with new players, get used to it.

74. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    2:35 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

He didn’t tell Anthony Davis to shut up, he just got him in foul trouble. Comeback when Zeller even sniffs a trip doub

75. Bean
    2:35 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

If you say that only teams who have won a National Championship in Nike gear will be wearing these things, then why is Baylor included in Nike’s list of schools to wear the hyper elite uni’s. Baylor??? Baylor!!! Yes, Baylor. ELITE!

76. Tomas
    2:36 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

This post on KSR > than anything else ever written.

77. lionelrichie
    2:36 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

New Unis and all Teague will wear different shoes

78. HOO HOO
    2:36 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hey Blue Bayou: How many wins do you have vs. IU THIS YEAR??? ZERO!!! B-U-U-U-U-U-R-R-R-R-N-N-N-N!!! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!! #BobbyKnightSaysSlapJoeBHallsHead!!!!

79. Smiley Pete
    2:36 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

@64, 66. Well done.

80. Be Happy
    2:37 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I am embarrassed by all the negativity from UK fans. Just enjoy what we have. Its sad that there is so much complaining after a win. I really have got to the point of being embarrassed. This is not the UK fans I grew up. If the players like the uni’s who cares. Let the players have fun, and enjoy all these wins.

81. Brentton Akers
    2:38 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

#75 Notice Baylor has a woman wearing the uni. The women will get it just like the UConn women.

82. HooHooLose
    2:38 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

53 – isn’t Michigan in the Big 10? Aren’t they actually first in the Big 10 right now? Didn’t they just get beat by Arkansas? Didn’t UK beat Arkansas by more than 20 points just a few days before Arkansas beat Michigan? Yeah, you’re right…UK could never compete with the Big 10 powerhouses.

83. Cat fan in the 'ville
    2:39 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

All I can think of with all the lighter, more comfortable, recycled stuff, is Costanza getting the Yankees to wear 100% cotton uni’s. http://bit.ly/AwXrhn I can hear it now: Nessler, “MKG drives hard. Oh my! He has split his pants” Dykes, “Looks like he clipped-the-hip a little too hard on that rim-run.”

With that said, I love it!

84. TrinhCat
    2:39 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Embrace the role of Elite Status! This is another example of why Coach Calipari gets it. Think about it, UK is one of the 9 schools chosen to wear these new uniforms, we are the Gold Standard in college basketball. These uniforms are different, state of the art, generates publicity for the team and university, and is a recruiting tool for top high school athletes. There are 7 stars on the back of UK jersey, enough said. And most importantly, Louisville is not one of these selected teams. So go buy your jersey today!!

85. Eight Letters
    2:39 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Okay. After seeing the additional photos, I like them. It would be nice to use this same design in the blue and white unis too. Really like the reflective numbers and the checkerboard up the side of the whole uniform. It’s a keeper!

86. Tyrannosaur
    2:39 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I like the uni’s, my only caveat was that the numbers appeared to be really hard to read. But the more pictures that come out, the better they look.

In the big picture, my reservation with them would be only that schools seem beholden to Nike these days – they make the decisions for what the team will wear, etc. Thats the part that sucks, Nike has so much control. The company should do what the school wants, not the other way around.

That being said, I would bet my bottom dollar that the players love them – which is really the only thing that matters.

87. jpgott2
    2:40 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

75., Its the Baylor Women’s team. They won the chip in 05.

88. macon_volfan
    2:40 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

#84-isn’t UL an Adidas school? Only Nike schools were chosen to wear the Nike ‘elite’ uniform.

89. HOO HOO
    2:41 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, UK is G-R-R-R-R-E-A-T!!! So great they LOST to IU this year! I don’t blame you for being embarrassed! IU fans NEVER complain about a win!!! UK fans are crybabies!!! HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!

90. Cindy
    2:42 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I think they are Awesome

91. HOO HOO
    2:43 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Baylor’s Women’s team could beat UK’s Men’s team! IU would dominate Baylor’s women!!! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!

92. jpgott2
    2:43 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

UK has been a NIe Elite program, for a long time. That is why they get these uniforms ever so often. It is a good thing, so just go with it, and quit making a big deal about it.

93. TrinhCat
    2:44 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

#88 – you are correct. I do like the fact that Nike keeps coming up with new innovations.

94. Hoss_Cat
    2:44 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

DREW, i was about to say, “Nice Post Drew” until I read that over 35 comment. I just turned 34, but I’m close enough. You’re right that people would be complaining if we weren’t selected as a team to wear these. I think they’re ugly, but I’m fine with them long as they’re not our permanent uniforms. You shouldn’t be disrespectful to people older than you about their age. I wouldn’t make fun of you for being a fat a$$. I also would’ve never said that last statement if you hadn’t just flat out slapped 50% of KSR readers right in the face. You know whomever hires you in the future will probably be over 35. Plus you’ll be that age sooner than you think. I never made fun of someone for their age even when I was a kid. Now go back to band practice

95. random hero
    2:44 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

How funny, people don’t rem all the unis we had under pitino. They were awesome, every new design I got the shorts. Cause I love uk, how awesome is it you can parade around new styles. As long as it says Kentucky across the chest, that’s all that matters.

Most who don’t like them prob married the first woman they ever saw naked in real life too

96. SweetTeaMob Til I DIE
    2:44 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

17 & 76 win the award for best comments on the page.
    and 75, you are retarded! Thats for BAYLOR’S WOMENS’ TEAM!! Notice the small bosom beneath ‘BAYLOR’

97. warrior
    2:44 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

i hate LSU with every fiber of my body.

98. HillbillyInBC
    2:45 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Well said, Drew. And just for the record, I’m way far past 35 and from Letcher County, and I think they look great.

99. minton
    2:45 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I think they look pretty cool. Who really cares what they wear as long as they win.

100. Pat
    2:45 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Drew why the hate folks. I am so tired of the people who say UK’s colors are blue and white. Get with the sign of the times and stop the close minded idiocracy. This is what the kids want these days, so get over it.

101. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    2:46 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

You keep going back to that same LUCKY shot. In my 22 years of existence IU has beaten UK 5 times. You have that LUCKY shot. IU fans are trolls. LOO LOO LOOSIERS

102. #ohnohedidnt
    2:46 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

If it’s not one thing to complain about, it’s another. Geeeez

103. macon_volfan
    2:46 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

#93-you call them new ‘innovations.’ I call them ‘another way to exploit un(der) paid student athletes for additional Nike and university profit.’ Potato/potatoe.

104. jpgott2
    2:46 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

89., UK fans have expectations, while IU fans do not! U,U,U,U, UK!!! I love you Hoo Hoo. Tell Trevor Mbakwe hello for me! Oh wait, Minnesota beat you @ Home with their best player injured. Perfection!

105. Hey Now
    2:46 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

What a bunch of negative Nancy’s! It’s down right embarassing the way some of you whiners are carrying on these days.

BTW- put me down for the flip flops and assless chaps…let’s give ’em something to talk about

106. HOO HOO
    2:47 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

66- WHOOPEE!!! You’re actually bragging about UK beating Penn State by 38? Really? A team that is 10-11 overall this year? I guess you guys have to have something to hang your hats on since you couldn’t beat IU, and the only wins you can get are those in that weak-ass SEC? HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!

107. RICK
    2:47 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Drew, We dont like them, you get over it and move along.

108. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    2:47 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Can we track that Hoosier fan’s ip address?

109. Bob Day
    2:47 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

When I first saw these unis, I thought…”meh, they’re okay.” Then I read all the whining. Now I’m crazy about the outfits and wish the Cats would where them every game.

Stinkin’ crybabies.

110. bung
    2:47 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

ky colors are blue and white

111. RUPPS_rhetoric
    2:48 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hey HOO HOO. How many wins does IU have against UK this year? The answer is ZERO! 2012, The CATS are undefeated!

112. Cat89
    2:48 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m 48 and I like them.

113. Word of the Day: aplomb
    2:48 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Badass poster. Okay, Im on board

114. SweetTeaMob Til I DIE
    2:48 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

91. What kind of douche reads a UK blog and is an IU fan? I guess when you are the best at what you do, outsiders become just as concerned with your affairs as you are. Its funny how IU and #UofLOL fans care more about UK losing than their own school winning. Go find an Indiana blog, chief.

115. UKFanInNC
    2:50 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I personally love the unis. I mean, they’re only for one or two games and they look great. Of course, I am only 22

116. King Rex
    2:50 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

@ 89. how about you guys make the sweet sixteen for the fourth time in the last 20 years. then we’ll talk

117. HOO HOO
    2:50 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Somebody please put a wiener in my butt, pronto!!

118. nassau65
    2:51 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

don’t care. just win

119. RYNO
    2:51 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care about the new uni’s at all. However, that slogan needs to go, “Take every advantage.” Really? The NCAA is investigating whether or not these new uniforms are giving UK an competitive advantage vs. UT. None of the other schools are under investigation of course, and they actually sent a 5 page letter to Coach K, expressing their congratulations and thanks for bringing a fresh look to his team on game day.

120. HOO HOO
    2:51 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

101- Lucky shot??? I guess the other 17 points that Christian Watford had in that game were lucky, too, huh? It was 100% skill! The guy shoots nearly 50% from 3-pt range! If anything, it should have been a 4-pt play because D. Miller fouled him on the shot! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!

121. wilDCat
    2:51 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m starting to wonder if that guy is actually a Hoosiers fan, or if he just loves trolling everyone on here. Everyone is feeding him so hard too, it’s sad.

122. Coach Knight
    2:53 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

117) As soon as my Cialis kicks in, I gotcha buddy

123. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    2:53 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

106. Weren’t you bragging about beating Penn State by 19 in post 41? You’re not to smart are you? Must be that Bloomington education you’re receiving.

Saying the SEC is weak is another stupid comment, didn’t A lowly Arkansas team beat the number 1 team in the big ten last night, or did you forget about that? By the way the sec is project the same or one less team in the tournament as the big ten. You’re a fool.

124. SweetTeaMob Til I DIE
    2:54 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

If you don’t like these uniforms, I’ll be willing to bet my entire savings account that you tuck your shirt into your underwear. I don’t guess I blame you though, some people were just born with a swag deficiency.

125. HOO HOO
    2:54 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO WHO GOES TO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT ONCE EVERY 10 YEARS! HOO HOO HOOSIERS!! THATS WHO!

126. Mr Schwump
    2:54 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Will they be better FT shooters now?

127. jp7
    2:54 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

The denim uniforms never won one game and they were and still are the ugliest uniforms in history. Stop messing with tradition and quit trying to be cute. It’s just like the stupid black uniforms that are supposed to intimidate the other team-sorry, it doesn’t intimidate anybody and black is not our color so scrap it.

128. under 35
    2:55 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

How do any of you KNOW complaints are coming from people over 35?

129. HOO HOO
    2:55 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO WHO CANT EVEN GET INVITED TO THE NIT EVERY YEAR?? HOO HOO HOOSIERS!! THATS WHO!

130. jman
    2:55 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Bitchers gonna bitch

131. HOO HOO
    2:56 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO WHO THINKS THEY ARE RELEVANT BUT CLEARLY ARENT? HOO HOO HOOSIER FANS! THAT’S WHO!

132. Awesome
    2:58 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Love the new uniforms!!! Just one more perk for being an elite team!!!

133. Cordial Cherry Syrup
    2:58 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Am I the only one that honestly does not care about these new unis?

134. HOO HOO
    2:58 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Dude, I am the real poster under HOO HOO. Who are the clowns posting under my handle? I hope they are not U of L fans….

135. Truth
    2:58 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

ROFL.. really? People were complaining about our ‘cats getting honored with a special uniform? wow… just wow

136. ukfan4life
    2:58 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

People please stop bitching about everything.

137. The Cheese
    2:59 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I really despise IU fans again. For a while, they were to be pitied. Now, after winning a few games, they come out of their houses of shame and bang their chests. Actually, I still pity them.

138. EMG
    2:59 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Who is this Hoo Hoo jackass and when exactly did they get internet in Indiana? Seriously, bragging about beating Penn St? UK couldn’t beat Nebraska and Minnesota? You must be a UK fan pretending to be an IU fan to make them look bad; it’s not like they need any help being perceived as idiots.

I like the new uni’s, and I like the black football uni’s. I just don’t like us ever having black basketball uni’s because of effin’ Duke. I don’t care if we look like them in football, but not in basketball.

139. rooster2783
    2:59 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

well said

140. Tooblueforyou
    2:59 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

First things first, please stop feeding the trolls. Second, if you don’t like the unis don’t watch the games. Like drew said, they are for the players not the fans. Go cry somewhere else you big bunch of babies.

141. HOO HOO
    2:59 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Don’t believe 134) I am the real HOO HOO. Commence sodomy!!!

142. Bob Day
    2:59 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m 59 and like the unis just fine and imagine they’ll be fun and comfortable for the guys to play in. That’s way more than I can say about this butt-ugly, unfriendly, obsolete WordPress-based POS of a website looks and functions. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a nuclear server bank to run this place.

143. Nathan
    3:00 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

He didn’t say everyone over 35 hates them. He said many of the people who are complaining are over the age of 35. You can be over 35 and like the unis. Read carefully and calm down folks.

144. New Uni
    3:01 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Im 35 I love the new uniform and I love the black uniforms. SWAG

145. Bob Day
    3:01 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO, BOO HOO…what’s the difference?

146. UK Bob
    3:02 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

For the record. Letcher County likes the uniforms.

147. Legalice
    3:02 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Well over 35…so far over I still have a UK tshirt that is 30 years old that has the traditional Blue & White with silver stripes…these uniforms are sweet. As to the BBN, this is embarassing… win road games, whine about this player or that… new look unis for a marketing ploy, whine…good grief. Why not enjoy the season, special uniforms and all? Doesn’t mean you have to like the look, but come on. 20-1, #1 in the country, much room to improve until March with the right coach to get them improved. Has to be scary to think about playing UK in March when all of the pieces should be coming together nicely, chrome uniform jerseys or not…

148. PatGLex
    3:02 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m over 35. I agree 100 percent with Drew. But I still think they’re ugly. It’s a young person’s / recruits / marketing tool, and I’m going with it. But they will NOT look like the lovely, glitzy, airbrushed, backlit, enhanced poster. Someone get me a shot of Davis dunking and looking just like that. Ain’t happening.

Just had to give my cranky “get off my lawn” comment.

But hey, give me a team wearing those chaps. That would be a game I would be glued to the TV to watch.

149. bluebiscuit
    3:02 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

This is a gray that looks really good with UK blue. I like it. And I went to UK way back in the 70s when the players wore those little shorts and the striped knee socks. I certainly don’t want to see THAT look again. Change can be good!

150. macon_volfan
    3:02 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

#142-don’t know the layout. It runs much better since they upgraded a few weeks back. It only takes a few seconds to log in now, as opposed to 4 minutes! Simple is sometimes good. Many on here love/hate Drudge, but I can’t imagine that site without it’s simplicity! Same for KSR. Same as ever, since 2006!

151. cweb
    3:03 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

these uniforms are an outrage!!!

sincerely, IU’s candy-striped pants, John Stockton’s shorts, the preacher in “Footloose”, and MySpace

152. macon_volfan
    3:03 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

knock, not know. I don’t like the inability to edit comments….

153. Hoo Hoo
    3:03 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry for antagonizing you all. I don’t have any friends and this is the only interaction I get with people besides my parents. Okay, gotta go now. Momma said it’s time for my afternoon nap. I’ll be back to hang out with you all later. Thanks so much for talking to me, it’s nice to be acknowledged.

154. Platinum
    3:04 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I don’t remember anybody bitching when UK wore black unis to honor Bill Keightly or the silver unis for whatever the hell it was a few years ago. The ads themselves seem poor quality, but Nike is no slouch. They give a quality product, especially for hugeass clients like elite college hoop teams. Also, the blogging and writing isn’t bad. This is their playground, it’s not business journalism. Shut the front door and start cheering about how great this team and how lucky you are to be a fan!

155. Bunzz
    3:04 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

You can see the actual jersey’s here. I really like the title years at the top on the back.

156. Under35
    3:04 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

love the new uni’s, the kids coming in will love them, old people need to deal with it, good post, keep it up (that’s what Karen Sypher said)

157. Platinum
    3:04 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I don’t remember anybody bitching when UK wore black unis to honor Bill Keightly or the silver unis for whatever the hell it was a few years ago. The ads themselves seem poor quality, but Nike is no slouch. They give a quality product, especially for hugeass clients like elite college hoop teams. Also, the blogging and writing isn’t bad. This is their playground, it’s not business journalism. Shut the front door and start cheering about how great this team is and how lucky you are to be a fan!

158. Drew Franklin's Beard
    3:04 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

These new uni’s are going to look great. You old farts need to chill out

159. budronian
    3:05 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

53) get off KSR! the big ten isnt impressive to anyone on this discussion board! you think the big ten has “powerhouses”???? theres maybe 3 top 15 teams in that entire conference, so get your facts right and BROW DOWN SON! WHOO WHOO WHOO…WHO SUCKS? THE HOOSIERS!

160. Tim
    3:05 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Greatest college basketball program in the country. Greatest college basketball coach in the country. Ranked #1. Top recruiting class year after year. Yet parts of the BBN upset over uniforms. It’s amazing..

161. Sleeveless Vest
    3:07 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Alternate unis are for the kids. Who cares?, as long as you can tell which players are on the opposing teaM? Let the kids wear somthing that is important to them every once in a while. I’m more concerned with how they play in them.

162. Sleeveless Vest
    3:09 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

BTW, I’m 54. They look kinda cool. As long as we don’t go overboard like Oregon!

163. Cordial Cherry Syrup
    3:09 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Seems to me that most of the people commenting here defend the uniforms and chastise the naysayers. What gives?

164. JIMMIEUKFAN
    3:09 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m 41 years old. I like the new jerseys. The laser design on the back. High tech look all the way around. As long as KENTUCKY is on the front what’s the problem. F#ck it. I can’t do this anymore. THEY SUCK!!!!!

165. The White Mandingo
    3:11 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I just want to go on record that all chaps are assless.

166. Bob Day
    3:11 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Honestly, I’m surprised that no one has stated what to me is the most obvious aspect of these uniforms–they are designed to be virtually counterfeit proof. I believe that ultimately, that’s what they’re is all about. IMHO, the marketing ploy is probably just a diversionary tactic, more than a marketing test, combined with a desire to recuperate some R&D costs.

167. random hero
    3:12 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Check yahoo sports “duke, unc among 9 to test Nike uniforms”
    1. We are #1 in the nation and are listed as “among”
    2. We are not among status
    3. You wanna be one of those not mentioned?

168. bbmaverick
    3:17 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

38 years old here, and I think the new uniforms look really cool. I like the traditional colors, but I see no problem with them switching it up every now and then. I’m not advocating switching to these colors on a permanent basis, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the plan anyway.

169. Sensitive Cat Fan
    3:23 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I wish all of these fans would stop being so negative! The uniforms are great! Last night’s game was great! Be positive! Exclamation points!

170. Bob Day
    3:24 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

#163…because people are making a big whining deal out of nothing. [rolls eyes]

171. Al's IndiCats
    3:24 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I have to agree with 80. I’m 61 and I’ve been a UK fan for many many moons, and I can honestly say after listening to the call in show after the game I was wondering if they had been watching the same game I did. This isn’t 1996, players are better because scouting us has damn near became a science to every team we play. Remember how that DUMBASSED IU rushed the floor afterwards? (Whojers Whojers got it slammed right back in their non-relevent faces also at Ne-freakin-Braska). But IU’s playboy rep wasn’t there so she wasn’t injured. As a matter of fact Ne-FREAKIN-Braska told IU she wasn’t allowed to be there because rumor had it that she grazes on winter wheat. It was IU’s signature win. Teams are going to play us the toughest they can because we ARE KENTUCKY! We’re not some middle of the road team. They base where they are after playing us. Quit bitching about the spread of the game we beat them at, be happy we DID beat them on their home floor.

I’m really happy Hoo HOo got all his homework done today. Tell me, did you color both pictures by yourself, or did you have someone helping you?

172. deep south cat fan
    3:30 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

the only ones that will not like the the new uniforms are the old bastards that never get off their ass and cheer the cats setting courtside.

173. FKCat
    3:35 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

“It’s made from recycled polyester.

And it’s tailored for the optimal efficiency of movement and it’s five-percent lighter than the previous Nike Hyper Elite uniform!”

So does that make it five-percent tougher?

174. Kykiller
    3:39 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

In 96 there wasn’t a huge backlash about the denim unis.
    I have the shoes, a white and denim special edition shorts and
    a #15 denim autographed Jeff Sheppard jersey. I loved them
    and everyone knows Jorts would love them 2

175. Al B. Sure
    3:39 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

172- I don’t understand where the point of view that it is the older fans who don’t like the uniforms is coming from. I’ve seen it mentioned several times in these comments and I just don’t see how the connection to certain fans’ dislike of the uniforms and the age of those fans are connected. By the way, I’m over 35 and I like them.

176. Jiminy Cricket
    3:41 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

175 ANYTIME someone has something negative to say the young whippersnappers pin it on the old folks…..

177. Hard Hittin' CAT
    3:43 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I like the new uniforms, but I also like T Jones too, so call me the minority why don’t cha.

178. kyjoe
    3:43 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

i think the new uni’s are freakin sweet. if i was a recruit i would like the possibility of having a cool alternate to wear a few games a year.

179. Gil-CHRIST
    3:44 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Drew wants to see a team in Assless chaps? yikes……..

180. Al's IndiCats
    3:47 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

OK I also have a big question for Hoo Hoo. In football season who do you root for? Yeah I kinda thought that you’d root for ND. Tell me in the last 3 years who did you root for in basketball? I knew it, Butler. That’s the things about people “FROM” Indiana. They can’t root for one school in both sports. And if the beloved Hoseiers aren’t worth two dead flies they root for another team. They change teams as much as a normal person changes shirts.
    All the luck to you and whoever you root for by the end of the season.

181. Nathan Hale
    3:50 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Up yours Drew. The uniforms suck.

182. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    3:53 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

180. Hahahahaha

183. Doug
    3:53 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

“assless chaps” is redundant. Chaps, by definition, are assless. That would be like saying foot shoes or head hats.

184. Jimtown Catfan
    3:56 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Im going to stop reading the posts on Ksr. Sticking strictly to the articles. I am sick of all the bitching and complaining from so called Uk Fans. Who cares about what unis they wear. Who cares if Jones or teague have an off night. We are 20-1. #1 in the country. We have the most innovative coach. We have the the most highly touted incoming collegiate players banging down the Craft center door to play for the most storied tradition in college basketball. After being in the NIT, we have been to Elite 8 and final4. What is there to complain about? Shut up and enjoy this season! has to be a miserable experience to be that negative all the time.
    Go Big Blue!!!

185. yeah first!!
    3:58 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

183 – while you are 100% correct, what would the word be for what they are trying to say? “Chaps only wardrobe” seems too long.

186. Jimtown Catfan
    3:59 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Sorry to rant. Just been seeing this crap on FB, on the radio, etc

187. Zach Morris
    4:00 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

KSR comments are the new YouTube comments. Nothin’ but trolls trollin’ trolls.

188. old_school
    4:00 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

This is not about being old – it’s about respect.

UK should respect it’s tradition – but instead it’s obvious UK has sold out.

KENTUCKY basketball should be the standard-bearer for all college basketball teams. When the words ‘college basketball’ are uttered around the world – the image should be a of Kentucky player dressed in blue and white.

When the world hears baseball – they think New York Yankees and the pinstripes. They’ve got history, tradition, brand – and they ain’t changing.

Why are we chaning? – Because we sold out.

This whole episode reminds me of a very notorious headline ffrom a couple of decades ago:

KENTUCKY SHAME

If we’re contracted – then wear them if we must and get it over with. Then the UK Athletic Department should be a vow to fans that they never again will sell out the brand and the image of that millions of Kentuckians have invested a lifetime of devotion too.

Kentucky fans should DEMAND it.

Write Barnhart soon – I’m going to.

189. Cranberry salad
    4:01 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Looks like a garbage bag with a UK logo on it to me. Nike says they can put UK on anything and we would wear it and curse anyone who says it’s bad. Suck it, Nike.

190. Backwoods
    4:07 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

What a bunch of crybabies! He was making a joke about all you old farts over 35. Why are yal taking it personal. And if we weren’t offered the uniforms you would be crying too! GET A LIFE!

191. DCwildcat
    4:08 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

The Unis are Sick, people needs to have some style! I beat money that all of the Players Are Hype about wearing them! Everyone else just needs to shut up!

192. cristoforouk
    4:08 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I would like to have uniforms as shiny as Oregon’s helmets. Anywho, these look nice. Can’t wait to see them on television. Also love the stars indicating national championships. A reminder to everyone else (sans UCLA) we have more than you. They do this for soccer uniforms too to indicate World Cups won. Since I am a big soccer fan, I like the influence! If you are complaining about these, I can guarantee you are never the life of any party. Lighten up!

193. cristoforouk
    4:10 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

188 – You would fail miserably with that philosophy in today’s college basketball landscape. Sorry but times have changed and kids want “swag”. You seriously sound like Bobby Knight with that post and look how well the new age of the game treated him. Go sit on your porch and yell at kids to get off your lawn.

194. Class
    4:13 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Right on Drew, you tell um son!

195. fatkidineastky
    4:16 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I am a GEEZER-LIKE 44 and I am all for it….it reflects our tradition (I love traditional stuff) while also giving an alternate that the kids today seem to enjoy…..and if our kids love it….BOOM! I LOVE IT! It is not a change….it is an addition….and is only supported by the fact that we are a premier program and we are a Nike school and that means we are utilized to make more money for Nike…and Nike, in turn, will pay us more money to use their stuff…..simple fact in business. This money if for ALL SPORTS PROGRAMS and helps our nationally recognized rifle team as much as our softball and our basketball and our hockey programs……

196. King Rex
    4:17 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hey Hoo Hoo, can’t you get me one of those amazing “We’re back” t-shirts. I’m sure they’ll look amazing when you are sporting an 8-seed in the tournament.

197. old_school
    4:17 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

193 – you saying the Yankees don’t have ‘swag’?

You saying Alabama football doesn’t have ‘swag’?

You saying the Green Bay Packers don’t have ‘swag’?

UK has sold out and fans should let Barnhardt know that our brand and our image is not for sale.

198. bluesince66
    4:20 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hell just let Nike and ESPN run college basketball. Why do we need tradition, everyone has it, oh that’s right no they don’t. The uni’s are a bunch of crap and if you can’t have swag with Kentucky on your chest in blue and white then I don’t know what to say.

199. Carl
    4:22 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m well beyond the age of 35 and I like ’em. This is the 21st century, we are not going back to the short shorts worn in the early 80’s so move on. As Kaylee Frye would say: “Shiny!”.

200. old_school
    4:24 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Talk about lemmings – The bulk of the comments on here and elsewhere were negative until Drew posts this rant suggesting you gotta love the new uniforms or you aren’t cool.

You can criticize old people all you want for our stubborn ways – but at least we are so flappable as to change our opinions simply because some almighty KSR bloggers dictates it’s the way to be.

Go back and read the comments in the earlier posts about this uniform issue and then come see the mysterious transformation on this post. lol

Too many of the younger BBN folks act like junior high girls.

201. What if
    4:25 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

There wasn’t a backlash in 96 because there werent blogs like this where people could express their feelings…. Instead of the 8 stars should have been 5 STARS for all our 5 STAR players!

202. BPM
    4:25 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Some of you people are nuts – not for not liking the uniforms – but for saying this somehow tarnishes the tradition of UK. What tradition are you talking about? We have different uniforms every year or two. You cannot seriously compare our uniforms to the tradition of uniforms such as the Yankees or Alabama or Penn State – program yes, but uniform no. Our primary color is blue. White is not even a color. In any event, blue and white are contained in the proposed one-game uniform. How is the brand tarnished again? I don’t have a problem with anyone complaining about the uniforms being ugly but when you say that wearing this uniform negatively affects the reputation, tradition and/or brand of UK you are completely off the wall. Old-School, you continue to amaze me with your stupidity. I will write Barnhart, or even talk to him, and I will make sure he doesn’t listen to people like you. He has more important things to do than listen to the crazed ramblings of someone who is totally out of touch with reality.

203. Rufus the big blue dog
    4:25 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

#198 just won. you all can clock out and go home now.

204. UK chik
    4:27 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

184 – EXACTLY. That is all.

205. Jax Teller
    4:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

IT’S ONE GAME PEOPLE! I get it those who don’t like them say our colors are blue and white…guess what, as best I can tell Blue and White are in there. Did you people bitch and moan about the black jerseys as tribute to Kightley, what about the black jerseys for the football team this year? Are you going to boycott the victory vs Tenn because we had black jerseys on? Bitch and moan enough and Nike will choose another school to roll out new unis for and we’ll be left standing all alone. No press is bad press, this is just another way to market our team/school/product. We have one of the most progressive coaches in the country, why can’t we let the players join in on the fun? If you are too old school to realize that then you probably need to find a new school to root for. I hear IU has some sweet uniforms that never change, go root for them. At the end of the day the team walks out with KENTUCKY on their chest. No matter what the color of the uniforms, that the team I’ll be rooting for.

206. DDB
    4:33 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Love, love, love the new uni’s and if you don’t that just means you are old and tired and have no fashion sense.

207. ScavengersBar
    4:38 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m an old over-50 fart & I like ’em , but then I like black uni’s too.

We’re getting all kinds of press & marketing from every angle these days – It only helps the program, so who really wants to bitch about that?

Keep in mind that many of the NBA teams have several alternates to both home & away uniforms – and that is the league that our teams and recruits are yearning to join. If alt jerseys adds a little bit of parallel between Cats and the league – so be it.

208. Lovely
    4:41 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m 22 and think the actual photographs don’t look all that great. More gray than platinum. If they looked like this poster I’d love them. However, they still aren’t the worst thing in the world, and the warm-up jacket is great.

209. jpgott2
    4:43 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

200, I do not know what poster you are talking about, but to be honest, I do not get why people are making a big deal about these uniforms. The are not that bad, and we have been a ‘Nike Elite team’ for awhile now, so these type of things occur.

Too many of the older generation, act like some change is the end of things. I hate being at games, and watching many of the older, lower level crowd just sitting there, and barely cheering. But, that is reality, just like these uniforms are. It is not ‘selling out’, like some posters on here say it is. They look good to me, and they are only for a couple games, yet, posters have to make a big deal about it. Talk about not having much to do?

210. bung
    4:49 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

i cant bleeves all the negative comments about people expressing their opinions

211. WriterIsAnIdiot
    4:49 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

You know who shouldn’t complain? Drew Franklin, who is becoming a shill for Nike. These uniforms are terrible and people are just being honest. Go away.

212. Catsfando
    4:51 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

That’s right Drew’s the New World Order. Bow down to his commands. Look this is nothing but another of Nike’s money making schemes knowing full well that the Kentucky fan base will run out and gobble up anything they push out with Kentucky on it. It does not matter one bit if you like it or not, it’s pre ordained by the Nike gods. Drew’s opinions are not worth one iota more than yours or mine and his lack of respect for us old codgers over 35 is deplorable. However Drew sees it I would be willing to wager the majority of the fans are 35 and over. There are a lot more of us than you younger types. We’ve lived the tradition much longer than Drew’s been involved with UK and will hold it dear long after his large mealy mouth is gone.

213. Yo
    4:51 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m 26 and think they suck. Certainly don’t beat the ones we currently have OR even the gray alternate that they were freaking selling to the public. WTH happened to THAT alternate? I LOVE our current jersey, so much so that I bought two of them. These platinum jerseys might be bearable if the Kentucky and the number were BLUE!

214. old_school
    4:52 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

209. Ask yourself why the Yankee’s haven’t done this?

That’s New York – bright lights – everything is hype and swag in New York – yet they also realize the value in brand and tradition.

Coke, McDonalds and other companies are known world-wide because of their recognizable logo and image. (Remember what a flop New Coke was?)

We are the Yankees of college basketball – but we just sold out. KENTUCKY SHAME.

Fans need to write UK and demand better.

215. Jones Returns
    4:54 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Freaking AMAZING!!!

216. old_school
    4:57 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

212 – well said my friend!

217. captian picard
    5:09 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I am glad they have something comming to keep people happy. These jersey’s look great but i wish we would have a throwback night and possibly a total chromed out jersey. That would be sick but it would blind all of the opposing team during camera flashes. This is a stepping stone to recruits I get it. Just use the old logos with the split tounge tip to reconnect with the older folk and the people that actually remember. U know what I am talking bout folks. I feel like dennis miller going on a rant here. I love u guys either way. I live blog like a mofo. Go Cayts!!!!

218. BPM
    5:15 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Again, what is the so-called tradition of the Kentucky uniform? The Yankees have had the same uniform for over a 100 years – there is certainly brand recognition there. We have a different uniform every year with the only common denominator being the color blue. The color blue is in this uniform. Corporations like Nike and Converse etc. have sponsored athletic programs since their existence – we are not now just “selling out”. How dare a company try to market and sell a product by the way. What should we demand in our letter to Barhart? Should we demand we just wear burlap sacks? Should we demand to drop all corporate sponsorships? Should we just go over Barnhart’s head and write the President of the University, or maybe even our local political representatives? Maybe we should take this all the way up to the top – I hear Obama has nothing better to do these days.

By the way, in terms of this supposed uniform tradition – if I recall correctly, when we wore the silver jerseys a few years ago it was designed to commemorate the uniforms worn by some of the very early Kentucky teams – who wore either silver or gray uniforms. I could be wrong about this so I would suggest that someone step away from writing their letter to Barnhart and research whether gray or silver uniforms are actually a part of the UK uniform tradition.

219. awesometron
    5:18 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

People need to realize this is about the current players are recruits. This is what Kendall Marshall said about the unis:

“We definitely get excited about it. I think players care about the way they look,” North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall said. “I know if I played football, Oregon would be in my top five no matter who I was.”

This isn’t permanent. It is going to be worn once or twice. Accept this is where basketball is and these are the things that players (kids) want.

220. MyTwoCents
    5:20 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

So when do we get Oregon’s helmets? Blind the opponents!

221. WriterIsAnIdiot
    5:24 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

You people are idiots. This isn’t about “the players” or recruiting. Do you really think a kid commits because UK is involved in a Nike marketing campaign for one-time ugly jerseys? Seriously? Drew Franklin is just a shill, whether he knows it or not. I’m guessing he doesn’t even know it. Media-amateur. I hope Nike is paying you.

222. WriterIsAnIdiot
    5:30 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

PS. Drew Franklin doesn’t have a god damned clue what the “younger generation” likes. It’s bullshit. This is like a bad message board post. GTFO.

223. fletch
    5:44 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

looks like a rappers outfit.what happened to the blue and white? these outfits are ugly,ugly.

224. Thecandyontopofabadday
    5:45 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

IU sucks big ones, the jersieys are sick as hell, enough said.

225. Marsee
    5:52 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Wow, people make a big deal over the smallest thing. I like them and I love that it gives us a status over less “elite” teams. What better game to wear it to than vs UT? Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but if you’re really worked up about this, maybe you should devote your passion and enthusiasm to something that actually matters. As much as I love the Cats (and trust me, I’m a huge, lifelong fan) I could care less what they wear, just get #8 while they’re wearing it!

226. Sources
    5:55 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I hear the new uniforms have made Jai Lucas a Kentucky lean.

227. Plz Retire here Cal.
    6:13 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Looks like the letters and numbers are platinum. Don’t judge them until you see them in person or on tv.

228. Bob Day
    6:20 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Let it gooooo! Do you really think Kentucky’s tradition and basketball program is going to come crashing down because the team wheres these uniforms for 2 hours one day?

229. Bob Day
    6:23 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Edit: Anything resembling a brain > old_school, WriterIsAnIdiot and UK Rifle >>>> WVU Rifle. You people need to either stop drinking so early in the day, or get back on your meds…or both.
    Let it gooooo! Do you really think Kentucky’s tradition and basketball program [are] going to come crashing down because the team [wears] these uniforms for 2 hours one day?

Where’s my meds?

230. hoop33
    6:27 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

thank you drew. ive been saying this all day. this is ridiculous you people complain so much. get over yourselves. “oh i dont like the way they look” well its not about you. if you dont wanna go spend $75 on one of these yourself then thats fine, dont. but get over yourselves bc their gonna wear em whether you like it or not.

231. Alice
    6:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Goodness gracious who cares what they wear..just bring home #8!

232. Cranberry salad
    7:02 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Sure it won’t matter that we go out and play wearing garbage bags. Everyone will think we are cool with our swag because our garbage bags will say UK on them. Yay. It’s shiny and new, therefore, good for us. Yay!!

233. ZombieLibrarian
    7:12 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

If we could all talk to ‘special’ people the way Drew just did in our day to day lives, the world would be a much better place.

234. JD West
    7:20 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Old school, are you Jerry Tipton?

235. Sleeveless Vest
    7:21 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Assless Chaps = Sleeveless Vest

236. Levi
    7:33 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

New generation wants Nike to keep defining ways to follow the fluff. Nike money helps Oregon and someday people may understand what they are giving up. UK players are now models for Nike and in turn Nike supports with its money Oregon.

237. G
    7:40 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

If the players and recuits like it that is all that matters, they wear them not BBN. If you don’t like it then don’t buy the merchandise folks.

238. CoachKeith5
    7:41 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

From a God fearing, ultra right wing, 2nd Amendment believing, Ronald Reagan conversative…I LIKE ‘EM!!!!!

239. Scott
    7:49 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

DREW, Just got home from work and you know how to bring out the crazed! LOL!

240. Britanni
    7:53 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

personally i think the denim uniforms need to be brought back

241. HB
    9:18 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

The 1996 denim jerseys were awesome when they came out and continue to be awesome.

They look pimp in this picture. If they’re metallic like this, and it’s not a photoshop job, they are awesome. In the other pictures, they look like sweatpants – pass.

242. thefan
    9:28 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

I am 40 damn it! I’m a man! Well anyways, Honest truth I think they are pretty ugly, I rather have black ones than grey, I like seeing new uniforms once in a while, But Kentucky basketball is tradition, So make something with like an old school Wildcat on the back instead of something that looks like clown outfits. Something vintage would look sweet. Stick with UK blue and white and maybe some black. If the players like em, fine with me, As long as they keep winning they can wear dresses for all I care. But it would be cool if Nike could make like vintage uniforms but with some style with it. JMO

243. Rich in CO
    9:37 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Hey Drew, I’m over 35 and I like the uni’s. You young uns need to have some respect. Now stfu with comments like that.

244. Jack Shaft
    9:44 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

They are sick. shaat up

245. Iva Biggin
    10:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Looking at the jerseys on displayed on ESPN’s site there’s no way to tell one team from the other, except the different color stripe up the side. Looks like a gray mess. UK spent years building their logo into what it is now and shouldn’t just be sent to the background of a gray shirt. They aren’t sick or full of swag, just a slick gimmick by Nike to make the biggest schools feel extra special.

246. SeoulCat
    11:31 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

What does age have to do with good taste? I’m under 35 and I loathe these uniforms. Way too flashy, way too gaudy. Our colors are blue & white, and, yes, tradition does mean something. If you like these uniforms, then you probably think large, yellow hummers with gold rims are nice. You probably like bumper stickers on your car, too. Ostentatious decoration is for tacky, trashy individuals.

247. Roll Tide!
    11:43 pm January 25, 2012 Permalink

Now UK is going to the flavor of the month uniforms with NIKE. Funny how Alabama football wears the same uniforms for decades and can still get those great recruits to win championships! I guess if you are having trouble selling the program, just sell the fashion or lack thereof???

248. Dan DICKitch
    12:11 am January 26, 2012 Permalink

“Go Big Platinum” “Go Big Platinum” “Go Big Platinum”

OLD FART<<<<<<<<<<<<<

BPN= "Big Platinum Nation"!! lol

249. lookcloser
    12:28 am January 26, 2012 Permalink

did anyone notice that the PLAYERS NAME IS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE JERSEY?

250. noitall
    12:16 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Drew,I have to agree with #94 and 243 and any others about the age thing,I too am over 35 and have no problem with the uniforms but I have a problem with your age remark. I have enjoyed KSR for several years and will (maybe)continue to read but one day, if your lucky enough,you too will reach your golden years…and be happy you did!

251. ztrain
    12:58 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Honestly, look at them. If you were a recruit would you like them?!? Especially considering that they are going to every Nike school with a title, not just UK. I understand they are for the players and I can live with them, but they are worse than the denim jerseys! I can’t imagine a player wanting to come to UK after seeing them play in these. I know they are high quality but they could have had quality jerseys that aren’t offensive!

252. BPM
    12:58 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

I don’t even like the uniforms – but I don’t care if we wear them and just think it is insane that anyone thinks it tarnishes the UK tradition to wear them. Nuts.

253. kycatman
    7:38 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Well, here’s one soon to be 57 year old kentucky fan and guess what, I think their cool looking and I hope the Players and Recruits like them. Like a lot of post before me, I honestly don’t care what they wear as long as the players like them. It not about you and me, its about them. It really just blows my mind how so many Kentucky fans can post nothing but negativity. If a player plays bad, man they just wear him out, if they wear what they think is a ugly uniform, they just wear them out!! For once could you just please enjoy the ride and be happy when they bring home #8.

GO CATS!!!!!!!