Why TV Williams could be the next Stoops Troop

McKinney, Texas
40 speed: 4.4
Top Offers: California, Houston, Iowa, Kentucky, Nebraska, SMU, Tulsa

Rivals: 5.5
247: 65th WR, 65th best player in Texas
Scout: 124th WR

TV Williams attended attended UK’s camp over the weekend, and rumor has it he may be one of the next players to have everyone yelling “Yahtzee!”. Get to know him:

Why do we want him?

He’s a slot receiver with amazing speed off the line and he’s versatile. In high school, he’s played receiver, running back, defensive back, and whatever his coaches have asked of him. He’s also elusive, capable of spinning out of coverage and shaking off defenders.

2014-camp-barker-elam
Williams with the 2014 commitments and recruits

Why might we get him?

He’s a huge fan of Neal Brown, whose offense he became familiar with at Texas Tech. Several months ago, he told Justin Rowland that he appreciates Brown’s honesty: “I love coach Brown. He’s always been a good guy to me. He’s always been honest and he’s going to tell me the truth. He’s not going to lie to me. I really appreciate that. Also, I love the offense he’s bringing to Kentucky.”

T.V. is also tight with several of UK’s current 2014 commitments, including Thaddeus Snodgrass and Drew Barker, whom he admitted he’s spoken to about attending the same school. By all reports, he was very close with the group in Lexington over the past few days. Also in Kentucky’s favor? They’re the only SEC school to offer him a scholarship.

T.V. on his strengths:

My playing strengths include my speed, hands and route running. Most schools see my speed as my biggest asset. Running a sub-4.4 consistently allows me to be a deep threat anywhere. I have schools that run everything from the ‘Power I’ to the ‘Air Raid’ offering me scholarships. If you watch my highlights or game film, you will see crisp routes, when called for and you’ll see me sitting in open holes, when called for. I pride myself on coverage recognition and adjusting my routes accordingly. On film, you will also see me catching everything! Throughout my high school career, I have only had 4 drops compared with over 100 catches.

(Fun fact: if he sounds intelligent to you, that’s probably because he has an SAT score of 1550.)

Watch him work:

31 Comments for Why TV Williams could be the next Stoops Troop

1. Rei
    6:06 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

love to have him, Berrios, and Kief on board.

2. StoopsTroops
    6:21 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Looking like another #Yahtzee beyyotch

3. Eatmorchken
    6:22 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

145 pounds!!! In the SEC!! My sons 14 and weighs that much!

4. Cats
    6:35 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

3- how much did Trindon Holliday weigh when he played at LSU? This kid looks dead on another Craig Yeast… Lets do this!!!!

5. Rei
    6:38 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

#3. how fat is your son?

6. Louisville1Cal4
    6:59 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Come on down T.V! If we can land him, Kief, & Berrios we wil have a VERY dangerous WR core in 2 seasons!

7. Muscle Weighs More Than Fat
    6:59 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

#5, 145 lbs on a 14-year-old male is average at best if he’s 5’4″+. Still a lightweight if you ask me though.

8. Beavis606
    7:38 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Get Bone Berrios or Kief instead. 5’8″ 145 ain’t gonna survive in the SEC

9. BBN
    7:49 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Too small. That might be why we get him.

10. Coach
    8:00 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

He could put 20 pounds on easy. The way he will be used in the offense he won’t be taking too many direct hits.

11. CatsFan4Life
    8:01 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Why is the top picture reversed?

12. Albert Einstein
    8:01 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

It’s all about physics. Greater mass + moving faster = crushing blow to little guy. The top 4 linebackers from 2012 came in at 230, 240 and 2 at 250. SEC linebackers will lay him out.

13. Coach
    8:01 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Also..just my opinion, if we take TV’s verbal, we will cool on Berrios.

14. Teacher
    8:06 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Is the SAT still worth 1600? He could earn an academic scholarship to just about any school in America.

15. Coach
    8:06 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Wrong Einstein. Tv will never run a route in this offense where he will have to go over the middle and risk getting laid out by a linebacker or safety. Every route that he runs will be designed to get him in space.

16. Reality
    8:14 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

1550? That’s probably on all 3 sections (out of 2400)

17. BddfromcincBCG
    8:15 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

His size and speed remind me of the kid at Oregon, DeAnthony Thomas. Thomas is used somewhat sparingly, but effectively, to minimize the pounding he would take on his body if he played every down. I could see Coach Brown having a similar vision for this kid. Also, keep in mind, Coach Brown has stated that he prefers to play with 8 receivers to rotate as opposed to the traditional 4-5. This should help minimize the SEC grind in addition to Williams adding some lean muscle.

18. NL
    8:20 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Im sure he is talented, but 145 is a concern. Really more to him than to us. Im skinny and weigh a little over 150. I’d be scared to death to play in the SEC

19. Scooby
    8:29 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Shut up knocking the kid on his size… He runs closer to a 4.3/40… In this strength program he could easily put on 25lbs. He would be our version of Tavon Austin… And last I checked he is a heck of a WR. Percy Harvin was a little guy too at first. He wouldn’t rule out Berrios. But Kief is cooling on UK. My opinion, we get TV, Bone, Berrios… Everyone also said Yeast wouldn’t last… And the don’t invite just anyone to The Opening

20. Coach
    8:35 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I disagree Scooby. I think we either take Williams or Berrios. They’re both the same receiver and would be used the same way.

21. Vindatuk
    8:41 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Seems like everyone keeps forgetting Snodgrass. He and Kief are the
    best of that bunch.

22. Scooby
    9:25 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

20) we need guys to catch the ball… UK will take 5 maybe 6 WR…

23. Tampa Satchel
    9:34 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

As I recall Craig Yeast was about that size coming out of HS.

24. BBNiner
    9:47 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Who are the big guys on the left I don’t know?

25. Debbie Downer
    10:12 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but 1550 is not that great of a score. Most schools have a minimum requirement of 1600 or so. It’s not like the old test.

26. Andy
    10:25 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Obviously the coaches see something in this kid that we don’t. Let them do their job. Its not like he cannot bulk up. He will be red shirted, bulked up and ready to go.

27. Jeff Garlin
    10:33 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

25. A 1600 is a perfect score. 1550 will get you into any school in America.

28. Ajh
    10:52 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

This kid is sick. Extremely quick. His qb is bad ass as well

29. SeoulCat
    4:23 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

#27, that was ten years ago. The SAT scoring system is different now.

30. SeoulCat
    4:27 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

It’s nice to know that he has hands of glue, because, at 145 lbs, we want him to catch the first and only pass that will be thrown to him in the SEC. I just hope his health insurance policy is just as solid as his reflexes.

31. Silly
    7:59 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

I say we hold out for the 6’5″, 220 lb. guy who runs a 4.3 forty and has hands like glue…oh wait…there is no such guy on the board for us…maybe we should let the coaches accept commitments from guys they think can help the program. This kid goes up against top-flight competition, he has a year or two to add some size and oh, by the way, there’s this thing called “redshirt” where some kids get to sit out a year and add even more bulk to their bodies. If this kid has sub 4.4 speed and good hands, which appears to be the case, he can help our program. By the way, I assure you he sees 220 lb. linebackers in high school, now, many of which will be playing D1 football in the next year or two.