Why Randle Chose Kentucky

randle-kentucky

When it came down to it, Kentucky just felt right to Julius Randle. Randle opened up to USA Today’s Jason Jordan about why he chose the Cats over Kansas, Florida and Texas. Here are 5 quick highlights from Jordan’s piece:

“Kentucky is home”

“Kentucky, man,” Randle says. “Every time I told myself that I was gonna look somewhere else it just never felt right. Kentucky is home for me. It’s where I felt most comfortable.”

Cal was shocked.

When he told Kentucky coach John Calipari that he was going to join the Big Blue Nation, Randle said Calipari “seemed like he was in shock.”

Enough of this Julius Randle vs. The Harrison Twins stuff

“That’s always been funny to all three of us,” Randle says with a laugh. “We actually were texting back and forth yesterday. We’ve been cool since we were 8. Whoever says otherwise is someone you shouldn’t listen to, period.”

— Randle vows to get Kentucky back to “where we’re supposed to be”

“We’re built for this. We’ll get Kentucky back to where we’re supposed to be. I’m not worried about that. I’m just happy to be a part of the Kentucky family.”

747390733
Photo by Jason Jordan

— His iPhone could have given it all away

Randle didn’t waste any time getting firmly entrenched into the lifestyle that is Big Blue Nation, as evidenced by the “UK 30” emblem he had professionally stenciled on the back of his iPhone 5.

“It’s crazy, right,” Randle says holding up the blue phone. “I love it. I wanted everything to be perfect today.”

It was.

[Jason Jordan: Julius Randle picks Kentucky]

34 Comments for Why Randle Chose Kentucky

1. Bluecat
    2:01 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

40-0!, #9, will be DEVINE!

2. JLTCatFan
    2:04 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Wow. Seems like a genuinely great, mature kid who really embraces how special the Kentucky program is. Glad to have him joining the ranks next year! It’s shaping up to be a very special season.

3. C-A-T-S
    2:05 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

We are glad you are part of this family now Julius!!!!!! I can’t wait for next year. This team is gonna shut the haters up for good!!! #inCalwetrust #BBN #9

4. Revenge Tour
    2:05 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Where can I get a blue iPhone??

5. HackRichards
    2:05 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

“The Redeemers” That’ll be what we call next year’s team.

6. UK22
    2:05 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

YESSS!!!!!

7. Rae
    2:06 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

5. I’d love it if we could just call them the Undefeatables.

8. Walden Schmidt
    2:07 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

My nipples just got hard.

9. #GSR on KSR
    2:08 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Every post/tweet regarding next year’s team needs to be tagged with #GSR. Get $hit Right.

10. Boss'n
    2:11 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Next season is gonna be freakin LEGIT. Now imagine if Wiggins signs here!!

11. Jud
    2:13 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

“We are built for this” I like it.

12. Mike's mom/girlfriend
    2:15 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Your mom can suck that egg too!

13. Nashvillain
    2:16 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

And you have to believe a few players from the ’13 class will return and help the ’14 class get our 3rd title in 4 years.

14. OleSeven
    2:19 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Will there be 10+ players drafted from UK after next season…that would be insane…

15. Billgrizcat
    2:19 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

I can stop rapidly breathing in and out of the paper bag now…..welcome Julius….you chose wisely!!!

16. hopefully
    2:20 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Cal learns how to coach before next year to avoid wasting another stellar class’ potential

17. calsCHAMPIONSHIPring
    2:22 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

#16, my master knows how to coach.

18. bung
    2:22 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

I like the curved brim…

19. Eric K
    2:23 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

IN CAL WE TRUST!! GO CATS!!

20. brain
    2:23 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

JR is a epic player. Great to have him at UK. Gonna be strong medicine next year at UK.

21. yahoosports
    2:24 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

just waiting for the Forde story on the fancy iphone.

22. all of you people
    2:26 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

blaming the players like we didn’t just witness an elite group of guys who were never taught how to play together make me sick

now Cal’s shitting on them in public so they’ll leave and make room for another loaded class. players first indeed.

i’ve never been so ashamed of the program

23. #BBNine
    2:26 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

“You only feel pressure when you’re underprepared,” Randle says. “I work too hard to be underprepared. It’ll be a challenge after this season to get us back to where we used to be. John Wall’s freshman year they had to do the same thing. We’re built for this. We’ll get Kentucky back to where we’re supposed to be. I’m not worried about that. I’m just happy to be a part of the Kentucky family.”

If he had been on this year’s team those guys would have gotten their asses kicked or quit or both. He’s a bad man. This is the kind of attitude we were missing. Completely. Swagger with the workaholic habits to back it up. Better than you for a reason. Glad to see this making a come back and can’t believe I’m excited about basketball right now. This saved the rest of March for me. Get 9.

24. GameOver
    2:27 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

#16, you’re an idiot. Look at what Cal achieved at UMass (where he basically built the program from scratch), Memphis, and in his first 3 years here before you say he can’t coach. I’m truly appalled by how stupid you seem to be.

25. GameOver
    2:29 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

The same goes for you #22.

26. it's Cal's job
    2:30 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

to make them care about the program, playing together, and not to let anyone “hijack” the team. he failed more than anyone else this year, and i don’t want it to happen again.

27. GameOver
    2:33 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

26- What other choices did Cal have this year? Due to a weak bench he couldn’t use benching people as a learning tool as most coaches are prone to do. Some people are simply much harder to coach than others, and the fact that you don’t know that suggests you’ve never coached or taught anything before.

28. Sammydog
    2:46 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

All the negative comments are from trolls. One would think they would be more interested in their own teams’ blogs rather than ours since their teams about to begin the journey UK cruised thru so well last year. If UK were playing we would all be talking matchups, gameplans, zebras, travel plans. We would not be trying to get cheap thrills trolling and trashing other teams blogs. Trolls, act like you have been there before. Oh, I forgot, you haven’t been there in quite a long time. Continue to embarrass yourselves.

29. slimflannery
    2:48 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Coaching is more than just X’s and O’s…each team has a different personality. This team never had a NBA caliper point guard like the last 3 teams had. It had no experienced upper classman (jr, sr) to lead and didn’t have the defensive stopper once Noel got hurt. With the injuries and health issues, they failed to gel as a team and lacked consistency. Next year, Cal has the depth to use the bench as a coaching tool. The ‘refuse to lose’ attitude needs to be present for next year’s team to bring home #9. When shots aren’t falling, the defense did that for the 2012 team…this year that was missing (for the most part). Calipari can recruit and coach, but ultimately the players are that execute (or not). I look forward to seeing what the women’s team can do with this season before football takes the stage. As always, GO CATS!

30. Vince
    3:03 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Out of the four hats he had in front if him the uk hat was the only one without a sticker on the bill which means he will be returning those for a refund. Welcome Julius you truly are a beast.

31. Anyone Know?
    4:00 pm March 20, 2013 Permalink

Where did he get that iphone done? Anybody know?

32. shannon