Why Nerlens “gets it”

Since the beginning of the Calipari era, we’ve welcomed the best of the best into Lexington. Cal’s first team showcased the vast difference between “Cal recruits” and the rest of the pack. Cal recruits are of course, extremely talented, but they also carry themselves with a certain kind of confidence…dare I say it, swagger. However, Cal is a master at making sure that confidence never tips over the line to cockiness by demanding selflessness and a team-first attitude. Although the dribble-drive offense may be his calling card, Cal’s lone National Championship was won with hard-nosed, smothering defense, which is why the addition of Nerlens Noel vaulted our hopes for a repeat next season.

It’s safe to say that most of us loved Nerlens from that very first mix-tape. While his shot-blocking skills and ability to alter a game defensively are impressive, but that high-top fade…oh, that high-top fade. Let the Kid n’ Play nostalgia wash over us. Nerlens is the KSR of recruits: bringing game in the most ridiculous manner possible. The minute the ESPNU cameras showed Nerlens in that black hoodie, his flat top filling that hood to the very last inch, you could tell he was going to be a star in college basketball. John Wall had the dance; Jorts had his, well, jorts; Anthony Davis had the brow; and now, Nerlens has the fade.

Even better was the way in which Nerlens revealed his decision. Knowing it was his trademark, Nerlens wanted to brand himself with his future school’s logo. Call me biased, but that beats putting on a hat any day. Most of the talk on Twitter claimed he was headed to Georgetown, but 22,000 of us on the live blog held on to a thread of hope, spun from months of momentum for the Cats. I’ll admit it: I was absolutely shocked when Nerlens spun around and the camera zoomed in on those glorious interlocking letters. It was a dramatic move for a dramatic player and his new dramatic fan base. By now, Nerlens is well aware of the Big Blue Nation’s passion, and that reveal was a tip of the hat to us (or, a tip of the flat top, if you will?). I haven’t been that excited since…oh, a week and a half ago?

Maybe it’s because Nerlens helped clinch Cal’s fourth number one class in a row, maybe it’s because this kid just looks like fun, or maybe it’s because we already know how well Cal’s teams do with a defensive stalwart like Noel, but next year just got even brighter. He’ll have to listen to the comparisons for at least the next year, but you can’t ignore the similarities between Noel and Davis’ play. Those freakishly long arms, that possessive presence around the basket…these guys don’t need offense to make an impact on a game. The points are just the icing on the cake.

Welcome to the fam, Nerlens.

41 Comments for Why Nerlens “gets it”

1. kbrenn
    11:05 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

months ago in one of the vids with Nerlens and team mates, one of his team mates said that he thought Nerlens should have the school name cut into his fade! i’ll try to find the vid!

2. Southern Illinois Cat Fan
    11:05 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I screamed so loud when he turned around and announced he was going to UK, my 7 month old daughter got startled and started crying. I think she is starting to understand how crazy about the Cats daddy is!

3. GoCats2
    11:06 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I am not saying it came close to the feeling of winning the Title but when he turned around and I saw that logo, it was a wonderful feeling. I called my Dad and we were talking about it the same way we would if he had hit a shot at the buzzer to win a big game. Thanks Nerlens, Midnight madness can not come soon enough.

4. Mike Cornett
    11:10 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

Fear the Fade! What a perfect recruit for UK. Any word on Bennett?

5. Clemson Cat Fan
    11:13 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

That was just unexpected (sorry Coach Cal) for me. I could not stop smiling all night. I think I woke up with a smile on my face. Thanks Mr. Noel, I am so stoked about next season!

6. The Beatles
    11:13 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

Here come ol’ flat top, he come – groovin’ up slowly….

7. Harold Miller
    11:14 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I love KSR, but I reviewed the blog from the beginning, after the decision on ESPNU, and couldn’t believe how everyone had already given up on getting Noel or “the other one”. You said you were “holding on to a thread of hope”, but what I read was bashing them both from everyone. Nerlens constantly told us to not believe anything you hear except from him… I’m so glad he didn’t see some of the comments that were going on before he announced. Have Faith in Cal, he’s 4 for 4, and did you really think he was going 0-2 last night. I was confident and not about to bash him beforehand…… We got the guy we really needed and could really use A. Bennett as well…. let’s start that campaign, and be super positive about him UNTIL he decides. Love our chances to repeat, and except for maybe Noel, think we may have a group that will stay a couple to three years. Go down the line, who is really the superstar who you already suspect in one and done. We may be beginning a great d9nasty!!!

8. ajhjack
    11:14 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I was on the KSR blog during church last night (sorry, preacher). It was so awesome watching the tension build and then the payoff! I think this kid “gets it” and will be a great Wildcat. Cal was right when he said Kentucky is not for everyone. We Are Kentucky!

9. Doubting Thomas
    11:14 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I believe Nerlens will be one of our all time favorite Cats. His announcement last night was great and he handled himself very well in the interviews. Cal has proven he is the best recruiter and soon will be recognized by the rest of the country as one of the top 2-3 coaches. I’m proud of our coach and school for a recruit like Nerlens wanting to become part of the BBN. Go Cats!!! Go Nerlens!!!

10. Lou eaton
    11:16 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

What a fantastic time for BBN!!! Nerlen’s announcement made my entire year as I’m sure it did for all of KY. No ESPN coverage so I watched KSR which was great as usual. Already looking fwd to Midnight Madness!!!

11. CATS
    11:22 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

12. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    11:23 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

#FlatTopSaysJustStop

13. A-mon
    11:26 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

CAN’T STOP THE TOP!

14. CRAZYCATFAN
    11:27 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

7 – I agree on all counts! Not sure why there were negative comments … doesn’t bid well for us! Anyway, so glad we got NOEL!!!! Seems like a great guy AND he realizes how much the BBN loves him already! Just think about it! When he spun around in his chair, literally millions of UK fans burst out in cheers!!!!

IN CAL WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Flat Top
    11:28 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

Dominating defensive player and no super scorer = # 8 in 2011-2012. Why would next year be any different? Who needs Shabazz? Noel was the only one that mattered last night! GO BIG BLUE!

16. Wall2Cousins
    11:31 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

11. i posted that last night…try and keep up..thank you

17. 2020
    11:33 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

Again, BIG KUDOS to Coach Antigua for being UK’s point man on Nerlens’ recruiting.

18. dmaggard
    11:37 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

We need more guards how about Torian Graham. Anyone heard anything about him lately? I know he decommited again maybe we can get him onboard.

19. mocha
    11:40 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

new emoticon…

[[[:-)

20. BlueMark
    11:41 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I think he did the whole shaved letters in the flattop thing because he can’t wear a hat on top of that hair!

In any event, it was fun.

Someone will try to top it next year, I am sure.

21. UK Homer
    11:42 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

We’re in great shape regardless now because of Nerlens and the rest of the 2012 gang. Let’s not forget that 1) Some guys may come back (Teague, Lamb). I’ve been just assuming AD, MKG, TJ, and those two are gone….also 2) Bennett, Jefferson, Oriakhi, and others are still out there.

22. CATS
    11:43 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

17. My bad, chill out.

23. Nelens Diary
    11:45 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

#EvadeTheFade

24. TallyCat
    11:47 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

First }:-) now, [[[:-)

25. I Say
    11:47 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I dont know why I ever doubt Cal.

26. UKChillfan
    11:49 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

#20 very good

27. bosshogg24
    11:51 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

# 19, I wish people would stop talking about Torian Graham! He is not in the picture and never will be, probably go to Jr. College!

28. Richard
    11:56 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I live in my moms basement. I do not have a computer of my own so I have to wait until I get to work to post. Hope I do not get fired.

29. in this i believe
    11:56 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

We were in the gym doing bench press when the Man showed the UK fade.
    John almost pushed the bar into outer space. HE COULD HAVE BENCHED A THOUSAND POUNDS at that news.

30. Bobby Knight's shrink
    12:04 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

#6….”he got ju-ju eye balls !”

31. Mike W
    12:08 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

Haven’t seen it posted or might have just missed it altogether but do we have an LOI from Noel yet or is he just doing the scholorship paper thing? Just curious.

32. strange brew
    12:15 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz Muhammad will play in front of 25%-50% half empty seats. Noel will be treated like a God if he plays well.

33. Baldy in Mendo
    12:20 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

Podcast anyone? Anyone? Podcast?

34. MtnWildcat
    12:27 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

#32… I wonder the same thing… ESPN shows Muhammad as “signed”, but Noel as just “committed”… I want to see it on paper, in ink!

35. Mike W
    12:30 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

KSR staff? Any info on an LOI?

36. bill
    1:11 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

How many times u think uve said “gets it” in the last three years?

37. Every Fan
    1:29 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE….. Stop using the term “GET’S IT.” We’ve all had to hear that from the first time Calipari spoke and it is getting VERY OLD! Thanks, (signed) THE WHOLE BIG BLUE NATION

38. bluefan
    1:36 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

Man, I LOVE being part of the BBN!!!
    Best. Reveal. EVER!!
    Loved that MKG immediately tweeted a welcome from the BBN!
    I guess seeing those two play together is too much to ask. sigh.
    Love my Coach. Love my CATS!

39. TIM
    2:25 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

It could of been the mix emotional fan that tried to pass off his wife.. ๐Ÿ™‚ But in a HAHAHA Noel showed class and declined.. I have this sense of feeling he is going to be a leader on the court and off as well… ๐Ÿ™‚ Welcome aboard Noel..
    from: (Virginia Beach)

40. expat cat
    4:24 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

I love you TT but there really needs to be a moratorium on KSR for the phrase “gets it”