Why Do I Want Louisville to Lose So Much?

422696_2667727335635_179056198_n

Over the past week, I have been slightly miserable. Now don’t get me wrong, I have not sunk into a deep realm of depression, but a general sense of melancholy has pervaded me during a time of year that is usually one of my happiest, March Madness. Tom Petty once sang, “The Waiting is the hardest part” and for me the past couple of weeks have been a consistent waiting for what feels inevitable, a Louisville National title. Having watched their run through the Big East Tournament and then being present in person for their two games in Rupp Arena, it is clear that at this point, Louisville is the best team in college basketball. Their suffocating defense has hit its highest level, the referees are utilizing the “let them play” mentality that works to the Cards’ advantage and the offensive struggles that plagued the Cards through much of the season have dissipated. This Louisville group is clicking on all cylinders and in a year where no dominant team has existed, they look to be the strongest of the contenders. Thus even though Rick Pitino’s group is not unbeatable (I do think Indiana, Michigan State, Duke and Florida could all beat the Cards if they play well), they are the clear favorites to win it all. And yes, that is depressing.

However, when I try to figure out why the prospect of a Cards’ win depresses me so, the answer isn’t obvious. I know I strongly want Louisville to fail in their quest for a title, but pinpointing why isn’t easy. When I say on radio, and elsewhere, that I “hate” Louisville, this is of course not true literally. I long ago vowed not to hate anyone (life is too short for that), and surely wouldn’t make such a judgment based on something as ultimately insignificant as which team they choose to root for. But if I am truly honest with myself, the thought of Louisville winning does depress me. But that viewpoint isn’t rational and I admit that I am struggling with it this week. While not cheering for Louisville makes sense, hoping for their loss seems unnecessary for a variety of reasons:

I Am Not By Nature a Hater

You and I both know that there are certain people in this world who can be labeled as “haters”, looking to downplay the success of anyone and everyone, often due to their inability to deal with the circumstances of their own miserable existence. Many of these folks reside in the journalism field, seeing anyone else’s success as taking away from them in the media zero sum game, but their are examples in all walks of life. I intentionally try to be on the opposite side…another person’s success is worth praising, regardless of what I am doing. If other programs win a title, it isn’t a reflection on Kentucky, but rather on their own team success. Why “hate” on Louisville for winning, as it has almost nothing to do with Kentucky? Simply being angry just because it isn’t you is “hating,” and I won’t allow myself to do this in any form of life, especially basketball.

A Louisville Win will make many People I Really Like Very Happy

Like most rational people, I don’t make my friendships based on team affiliation. Thus I have many good friends that are huge fans of the Cards and care about them nearly as much as I do the Big Blue. A couple of those, Terry Meiners and Tony Vanetti, are hugely responsible for the success of my radio show and have been my biggest advocates throughout my career. But others I have met in the industry, ranging from Drew Deener to Mike Rutherford of Card Chronicle, to Rob Jones and Dugan Ryan of radio ventures past, to Perrin Johnson of KSR/KSTV work, to Mark Ennis and Nick Coffey of various internet ventures, all do what I do for Kentucky and do it well for their team. I like all of them, so why should I wish their unhappiness? Add in friends of mine from my non-work life who prefer UL, and one would think the thought of them getting to feel what I felt last year in New Orleans, would dissipate my desire to see UL fail miserably…but for whatever reason it doesn’t.

These Louisville Players are Generally Likeable

As with every program, Louisville has had its share of players that were easy to dislike. But with the possible exception of Chane Behanan, this group actually is hard not to like. Peyton Siva and Gorgui Dieng have both proven to be great young men, who represent the University as well as you could hope for any athlete. Russ Smith is hilarious and has a personality that makes everyone, myself included, wonder what he will do next. The supporting cast generally seems nice enough and everything you hear from people that cover the team suggests that their on-court demeanor generally reflects their off-the-court personalities. If these players celebrate, I can’t really be upset, as they seem like pretty good guys across the board.

A UL Win is Good for the State and the Rivalry

Let’s be honest. People in Kentucky care more about basketball than anywhere else in the country. The average college basketball fan would disagree with that sentiment, but they are wrong. The Triangle is not the centerpiece for college basketball fandom, the Bluegrass is. I spent four years in the Triangle and while they like the sport, we live the sport. I have said for a long time that the second most passionate fanbase to UK is UL and I stand behind that belief. The only thing that Duke-UNC have had on us is on-court success and the Cats/Cards haven’t had sustained periods where both teams have been good very often. But we are in such a period now. If Louisville wins this title and then Kentucky comes back and wins the next one, it can be a run for this state, the likes of which Duke and Carolina simply can’t compete with at this time. So why not root for it? Shouldn’t college basketball’s marquee game be Cats vs Cards, not Devils vs Heels? The answer is yes…but it still doesn’t matter.

Louisville is not yet a historical threat to the Cats

Kentucky has 8 national titles. Louisville has 2. The Cats will be favored to win one next year and so long as Calipari is in Lexington, the possibility of future championships looms large. Louisville, for all their success as a program, are still decades of success behind ever really being considered as a contender to the UK throne. But Duke could be…they are looking for title 5 in the last 25 years. Kansas has had a great run in the past decade-plus and may be UK’s biggest competition for elite recruits. Florida is in our conference and going for its third title in eight years. All are much more significant threats to Kentucky long term than Louisville. This is probably Rick’s best chance to win a title for the Cards, and if we are being honest, maybe his only chance. So why would we begrudge their chance at the glory we just captured, and may capture again next year? I am not sure…but I still do.

A Louisville win is Good for Business

All of the other reasons are “fan” reasons, based upon my status as a member of the Big Blue Nation. But there are personal reasons to not hate on Louisville as well, mainly that it would be good for KSR’s business. In Lexington last weekend, I told Dan Wolken of USA Today that I was dreading the impending UL win and he said, “why? Louisville winning the title would be great for you and your radio show.” And objectively, he is probably right. Being villain #1 for UL fans pays well, and getting them riled up is my speciality. If the Cardinals win, they are relevant and my ability to push their buttons becomes profitable. When UK goes on their magical run next year (which will happen), UL having the title (and the confidence that comes with it), will be great to deflate along the way. Financially, a Louisville win only helps what KSR does and increase the Finebaum-like circus of our radio show. But I don’t care…I still want Louisville to lose no matter what it costs…because…well just because.

That’s the thing. I can’t articulate it. But I feel it. Despite rationality, I am rooting with all my might for Louisville to lose. Yes it is true that there is a small percentage of their fanbase who harass me, call me every possible slur and generally try to make life hell for me simply because we root for different teams. And it is also true that I genuinely am not fond of Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich, the former because of his UK past/current persona, the latter because of his continued attempts to end my career/bully the entire state. But honestly I could look past both. The small percentage of fans are really just an annoyance, not a problem and the leaders of the UL program are talented, if egomaniacal. At its core my reason for not wanting Louisville to win is much more visceral. Even though I am not proud to say it, watching Louisville lose and seeing the Cards fall in defeat to a team, any team, will make that night and the summer that follows sweeter. It shouldn’t be like that, I know. But it is, and I can’t help but embrace it.

So even though Ashley Judd says to rise above it, I can’t. GO OREGON, MICHIGAN STATE, DUKE, ARIZONA, OHIO STATE, INDIANA, FLORIDA or any other team that faces the Cards. Despite the better angels of my personality telling me otherwise, I want a Louisville loss. Now let’s just make it happen.

Article written by Matt Jones

104 Comments for Why Do I Want Louisville to Lose So Much?

1. Travis
    8:49 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Haha….this picture is epic.

2. HillbillyInBC
    8:50 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Good stuff, Matt, but you lost me at “INDIANA”.

3. marcus
    8:52 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

We getting Wiggins or not?

4. TheArmadilloJackal
    8:52 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Dont think Louisville wins it all, but dont care if they do. Now indiana, i effing hate Indiana.

5. Kimmy
    8:53 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

It’s almost like they would say-see we can win just like you did last year! It just makes our win seem less important somehow!

6. Mike
    8:53 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Miami seems to be playing like UK tonight….all that talent….going to waste.

7. KidCody
    8:53 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

If nothing else a win will make out rivalry look less pathetic on paper. Louisville currently has 2 championships (the same amount as basketball powerhouse Oklahoma A&M) and 1662 all-time wins (a whopping 7 more than WKU).

8. You're jut rude
    8:55 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I will never root for Duke or Indiana over any in-state school, including them dirty birds.

9. Rick
    8:55 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

AGREE

10. BPsycho
    8:56 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

**** Louisville.

11. UL still sucks but
    8:59 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

7) Oklahoma A&M is now Oklahoma St

12. John
    8:59 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Above anything I could never root for Indiana. Kentucky can benefit from U of L winning so I root for them. Kentucky cannot benefit from any other team winning. Didnt Deener play tennis for UK?

13. Evan
    9:01 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

My family is split UofL & UK. I myself am a die hard UofL fan. When I was younger I couldn’t bring myself to cheer for UK but as an adult I really have no problem with it. I go to Rupp & Commonwealth with my mom & wear blue & cheer on the Cats. Seein her happy makes me happy. I think it’s different for many UK fans (outside of areas with a UofL fan presence) because they may not have 1 close friend or family member who roots for UofL.

14. Cats,Cats,Cats
    9:01 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Indiana over Louisville? No. Just no.

15. Zach
    9:02 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Sorry Matt, I agree with you on most things, but I will NEVER EVER cheer for Duke or Indiana over any team, not even Louisville!!

16. Hey
    9:03 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Agree with it all. And I my want of UL to lose actuall grew more because of MIKE who trolls this site posing as a UK fan.

17. Jwcat
    9:05 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I am a fanatical kentucky fan who lets his life get impacted way too much by whether the cats win or lose. But as much as I love KY I hate Louisville just as much! I grew up there and it became ingrained in me at an early age. Like you……this tourney has been hard to deal with waiting for what feels like the destined louisville title. I am saying my prayers to Bill Keightley that it can somehow be prevented!!!

18. Hey
    9:05 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

The fact is: you can be a UL fan and like both schools. But if you’re a true Blue, you’ll never throw support to them stinking Birds.

19. TJ
    9:05 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Just pray that Syracuse/Mich St/Arizona/Ohio St can get it done this year!!!

20. Lisa
    9:07 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt,
    I totally agree with you. There’s nothing rational about it. But, more than anything for me, it”s not wanting them to have anything to hang over our heads. And the fact that they will start to believe they are on the same level as UK, although we know it’s not true. But don’t ever change Matt. That’s what made me love your show when I first heard it. You are just like most UK fans and you don’t hide it.

21. Curt D
    9:08 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I would much rather have Indiana lose!!!

22. Guest
    9:09 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I cannot, and will not, root for the Cardinals, Hoosiers, or Blue Devils. It may not be right but that’s part of what makes me a Kentucky fan. We have the tradition, the history, and the best program going over the last four years. But we also have our distaste for anything UofL, IU, or Duke. In-state school be damned. This is the Commonwealth’s team!

23. El Guapo
    9:10 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I would rate UofL and Indiana as equally abhorrent. Right below those two, I’d put Duke. Once I would’ve rated UNC as the most disgusting team out there, but then Roy Williams forgot how to coach or recruit. So they’re done for. Ohio State also sucks, but they’re supreme choke artists, so again, no threat there.

Go Dunk City.

24. Indiana Sucks
    9:10 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care who wins as long as it isn’t Indiana. Classless coach, classless fans, and they’ve got 5 titles. Screw ’em. It will make my relatives happy if Louisville wins, so I don’t mind that much.

25. TN Cat
    9:11 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Everybody has their order of who they want to lose. Living in TN, for me it’s Tennessee, Louisville, Duke, UNC, Indiana, and then Kansas.

26. SeaCat
    9:12 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt, i want a Wiggins prediction from you.

27. gottodoit
    9:12 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Never, ever Louisville. Never.

28. BlueTexan
    9:12 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt: “I genuinely am not fond of Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich, the former because of his UK past/current persona, the latter because of his continued attempts to end my career/bully the entire state.” AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Rob in Florida
    9:13 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt,

The only time I root against Louisville is when they play UK. Otherwise I am for the Cards because they are a Kentucky team. Mind you, I may not root enthusiastically for them, but unlike you I don’t
    root fiercely against them. Make no mistake though, I am a rabid UK fan. Just not a Card hater (except when they’re playing UK) Not a Pitino hater either. I appreciate what he did for UK basketball, given it’s sorry state when he came to Lexington.

30. Logic
    9:15 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Dude just chill, the world gonna keep spinning either way.

31. Wildcatsteeler
    9:16 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I’m a UK fan in Louisville so I’ll root for anybody to beat the Cards. If you had to deal with their obnoxious fans on a daily basis you would as well. Besides Indiana is going to lose to Cuse. And the Cards are going to not only lose but lose early to Oregon. Go Ducks!

32. Kristi
    9:16 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I’m hoping Mich State gets some payback for last year. They were the #1 seed and UL got to the Final 4. Only fair that they return the favor this year!

33. FudgeyPhart
    9:19 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Due to the relentless trolls for both UL and IU that frequent KSR, i will hope they both lose. UL especially. If it weren’t for that, i believe i could be persuaded. Until this year, Dook was at the top of my crap list, but they have been replaced by UL and IU this year. I would rather Dook win, and i never thought i’d ever say that. You don’t see Dook fans here clogging up the pages with smartazz remarks. And I hope UL loses by one point-it will hurt worse.

34. Redbull
    9:24 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

For me it is 1/2 their fans who make fun of UK for no reason and 1/2 Ricky P not respecting UK all the time.

35. Mack
    9:25 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Who are the Ducks?

36. fairwaygal
    9:30 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt, HOW could you want Dook or Indiana over Louisville? If I had to , I’d wear a Cards shirt to keep one of those two aforementioned teams from winning!

37. Mojo
    9:30 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I will root for Duke if/when they play Louisville; likewise Indiana, Florida and anyone else you could name. Why? I’ve gone through the same analysis as MJ, and it became obvious to me: I simply can’t stand Rick Pitino, and don’t want him to enjoy any success. Simple as that…..

38. Knows better
    9:34 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Careful Matt, your “I am not a hater by nature” is very, very republican.

39. Keith
    9:38 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Not Indiana.

40. Luis Arduz
    9:39 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I will like for this to be taken off. This is a misconstrued message and especially the picture being used. I AM from Lexington but could care less for The University of Kentucky. I am a proud Louisville fan and I want them to win because I love my school.

41. BlueFins
    9:42 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I would only root for UL if they were playing Indiana. I would root harder for a giant sink hole to swallow both teams.

42. catincarolina
    9:43 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

31.Wildcatsteeler says it best and I agree with him….I will root for anyone and I mean anyone playing the Tards. Tards vs Hoosiers: I would root for both to loose eventhough I know its impossible. I lived in Louisville a long time and listened to that bunch of red and black wearing yayhoos for so long that I just can’t stand the sight or the sound of anything to do with the Louisville dirty birds. They can take the Pizza Bowl and the Chicken Bucket and stick it where the sun never shines.The tards dont even resemble any type collegiate athletics programs. They should be called CSU for Corporate Sponsor University.

43. dave
    9:44 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

40-is that you in the pic?? you look thugalicious, dawg.

44. HAHAHAHA
    9:46 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

LOL at Luis!!!!!!! I’m sure they’re going to take this off because you want them to. AND yes this is a typical louisville fan picture. WE COULD CARE LESS ABOUT LOUISVILLE!!!!!!!!!! We hope they lose because we love UK and are proud of our team and tradition (8 national champions and so on..

45. catincarolina
    9:47 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

#40 maybe you should take your cardinal pride and find another site to visit.

46. DLamb4Triple
    9:47 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I love ya Matt, but anybody who wants Indiana to beat anybody is out of their mind crazy. There is no worse fanbase of any team in any sport. I hate Indiana with a passion, more so than any other university.

47. Lisa
    9:52 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I think #40 might be lost. Go easy on him. He thought he found a Louisville website. LOL

48. RahRah
    9:52 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Right there with you on the Louisville hate.

49. Here is the reason
    9:54 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt, you want them to lose because Pitino is a creepy, egomaniacal, lying d-bag. Don’t over-think it. It is obvious.

50. Lisa
    9:56 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

#47. It is what it is. Are you living under a rock? And you think most UL fans have graduated or attended UK? Or high school for that matter? Move on…

51. Robster
    9:56 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Go Ducks!!! Go Syracuse!!!

52. Lisa
    9:58 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

# 47. Edit that to say, do you think most UL fans have attended UL?

53. Rixter
    10:04 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I feel the exact same way. Louisville resident, life long and passionate U of L hater, and I can’t figure out WHY. My wife is a Card fan, and is very supportive of my UK fandom, in fact she seems to root for UK when the 2 teams aren’t playing, she says because she wants to see me happy. I feel guilty that I don’t wish her the same happiness if it means Louisville’s success.

It’s just unexplainable. GO DUCKS!

54. bballdoc
    10:09 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Rick won a lot of games in Lex from 89 to 97, and made the BBN very happy. So there’s still plenty of good Karma left over after subtracting the bad Karma of how he misled us when he left for Boston. As for coaching at Louisville, I think he would have preferred coming back to Lex if the timing had been right. I would have been glad to have him, too. Tubby was fine but Rick is undeniably better. So now I wish him success as long as it’s not at our expense. This year our team couldn’t compete, so good luck to the Cards.

55. Issel's two front teeth
    10:12 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

#40 is probably one of the 15 people in lex. flying Loserville car flags around town. I64 west please.

56. Kevin C.
    10:15 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry, but you can’t call yourself a true UK fan, if you’d rather see DUKE win another ‘ship over UL. That’s just mindnumbingly stupid.

57. UKLadyFan
    10:20 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

AMEN!

58. rixter
    10:28 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Rob in Florida says: The only time I root against Louisville is when they play UK.

Rob, I’m like you, with a very slight difference: The only time I root against Louisville is when they play.

59. SuperTroy
    10:35 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Wow…that is almost EXACTLY how I’ve felt this whole month. I’ve even been with a girl who loves U of Hell (don’t ask me how. I seriously don’t know how the Hell it’s gotten this far.) and my sister is a prof. at the school. I live about five blocks away. I love the city. I have lived here almost ten years…BUT I was born and raised in Lexington, and I’m pretty sure why rooting them on to a champ. Is just not in my DNA. IU going down is more important due to their not having a single redeeming quality, but the Cards are definitely second followed closely by Duke. I’d rather not OSU or the Gators win, but that’s a much lesser evil than those top three. Ideally, FGCU pulls off the improbably.

60. SuperTroy
    10:37 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Been with my girlfriend (who loves UL) for three years…is what that last comment is supposed to say. So…yeah.

61. Blueblood65
    10:40 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Great stuff. But I’m gonna agree to disagree with ya. L’ville winning would be great for the state. When was the last time 2 teams from the same state won Back to Back National Championships? Better yet,a real great possibility of Back To Back To Back? Anybody but Duke,Kansas,Indiana. Go Cats!!

62. SuperTroy
    10:41 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

53.) VERY well put. I feel that same way about my girlfriend. When Morehead St. Beat them, I was so happy and she was so sad. I…felt horrible. It’s so conflicting. I. Just. Hate. Them.

63. Karen
    10:41 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt, AMEN to everything! We have NO reason to root for a team that doesn’t exist. Go Cats!

64. Blueblood65
    10:54 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Trust me, I understand and get the hate thing,I do.For me though,If L’ville wins or not, I will always wear my UK Gear Proud. Go Cats!!

65. KeenelandisNear
    11:05 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Indiana and Tennessee are the only two teams I get upset about winning anything.

66. Madvegas
    11:05 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I have changed my mind. If it came down to it I will want loserville to beat Indiana. Crean is just straight up weird ass. His players are following his lead. So what for a year I gotta her shit from a few loser fans. Dear god IU cut down nets when they lost. We will hear about it for 30 years if they actually won it. After we smoke ebody next year they will forget about loserville

67. Rockbottom
    11:06 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Great post and all of your points are dead on. So stop hating and root for the other Ky team!

68. Issel's two front teeth
    11:08 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I am a temp. Syracuse, Mich St, Mich. fan, along w/ the Cinderella teams left.

69. GlasgowBooster
    11:14 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I’m with you. They CAN’T BE ALLOWED TO WIN!! Indiana looks like they may go down to ‘fuse tonight. Yeah!!

70. GlasgowBooster
    11:15 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Thats ‘cuse.

71. Florence Y'all
    11:23 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Great post Matt, I agree with you 100%. You make very valid points, but something inside us just can’t stand to see them win.

72. Jarweed
    11:29 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

You were born pulling for those filthy cards to lose. Just like everyone from SEKY. It’s genetic.

73. Blueblood65
    11:31 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Good post Matt, But It’s a State of Kentucky thing for me. Anybody but Duke,Indiana,and Kansas.

74. Wild Blue
    11:35 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I have the same feelings as you about wanting to see UL fail. Some of my family are UL fans and it is very difficult during family gatherings. They think UL has overall superior athletic and academic programs, which is not true but no one can convencie them otherwise. My dislike stems from their obnoxious comments plus I am old enough to remember how in the 70’s Louisville’s administration threatened to go to the state legislature to force UK to schedule them. Using political power really turned me off about them. Today my dislike/ hatred for them is both because of past experiences plus Pitino’s and Jurich’s egotistical personalities. I do not want to see them succeed.

75. Gut wrenching feeling in my tummy
    11:39 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I struggle less with Louisville (the school and players) winning. It’s the obnoxious cardinal fans whom I despise whe they win– even though I consider a couple of them good friends. Most UL fans are these trash talking and over-gloating attitudes that makes me hate them. I “un-friended” some fb friends after I got tired of hearing about l-ville football beating the gators I the sugar bowl. It wouldn’t have bothered me except most of them bragged vehemently about whooping up on a team the cats haven’t beat in almost 3 decades. The false belief of believing they are consistently relevant makes me hate them.
    I struggle with Pitino– I think he’s one of the best coaches out there and I love him for what he accomplished at UK BUT he could have coached virtually anywhere he wanted in the NCAA and he chose the one school that he should have know was off limits. Just says a lot about his (lack of) ethics.
    The conflicted feelings this year suck– I’ll be most happy to see my bracket busted and have a Cinderella team to win it all! Go Witchita State and Florida Gulf Coast!!!

76. Gut wrenching feeling in my tummy
    11:42 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Should have “known”

77. UKfan
    12:01 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

wait are we not in the tournament or something?

78. uk9698
    12:04 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

AMEN!! UL fans already are hell to be around. WHY? Who knows but getting a ring ( SINCE 1986) will surly make them think they are not little brother. Hell NO!!!!!

79. Blueblood65
    12:07 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

My perspective on UK/UL is different in this regard. My oldest brother Graduated from UL and his wife graduated from UK. My blood is BLUE and always will be but I will support my Brother.

80. Roland65
    12:14 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

If UK cannot win it, I am for another state school who can. I do not care for what Ricky P. has become, but he brought UK out of a terrible time. I was in the US Army, serving overseas when UK was coming out of the “Sutton Years.” So, while I wish UK was “winning #9” this year, if they can’t, I hope UL does. I can sympathize with Matt, but even he admits his feelings aren’t logical. Looking forward to next year.

81. United We Stand Divided We Fall
    12:15 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

United We Stand Divided We Fall. This is actually part of the official Kentucky State Logo. I ask myself why does UK and UL schedule games against each other? It makes more sense to me to play more out of state rivals like Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Syracuse, Indiana etc…. The GREAT state of Kentucky has nothing to gain by it’s in-state schools beating each other up! It’s called KENTUCKY ECONOMIC SURVIVAL. Let’s face it, we all want the great state of Kentucky to succeed and follow the vertical line to prosperity.

This is especially true in UK football. If Kentucky loses to Louisville in football, it pretty much means they will not go to a bowl game. Why? it’s because UK competes in the most highly competitive conference in AMERICA called the SOUTHEAST CONFERENCE! And every non-SEC game is crucial in scheduling if UK is hoping to go to a bowl game. If UK is going to compete, they need to think outside of the boundaries of the state of Kentucky..

82. Deepblue
    12:22 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Amen brother…Amen.

83. Big blue Bert
    12:24 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

I know everybody is trying to put Dook and IU up w/ Lousiville as our most hated, but I despise Louisville! If UofL played al Qaeda, I’m rootin for al Qaeda! #gbb

84. Steven
    12:44 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

I have to say I disagree. I don’t like the Cards. I can’t stand the Cards, but I have to say that they’re not at the bottom of my list. My list of teams to not like is objectively formed using simple criteria, i.e. number of national championships. This is my list of teams in order of who I want out most:

Duke Blue Devils (4)
    Kansas Jayhawks (3)
    Florida Gators (2)
    Louisville Cardinals (2)
    Michigan State Spartans (2)
    Syracuse Orange (1)
    Michigan Wolverines (1)
    Ohio State Buckeyes (1)
    Marquette Golden Eagles (1)
    Oregon Ducks (1)
    Wichita State Shockers (0)
    Florida Gulf Coast Eagles (0)

I keep it simple. The further down this list the national champions are, the happier I am.

85. Bluecat
    1:19 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Anyone who says they are for UK, should NEVER cheer for loserville.
    If you knew how much they HATE us and want nothing good for us or our program. Matt is right, they cannot lose fast enough!, GO WHOEVER plays those filthy animals!.

86. TheNewOriginal
    1:32 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Travel somewhere out of state, especially North and Northeast. Work 20 years listening to hillbilly jokes from idiots that work at fast food, yet feel superior to anybody from Kentucky. That just might change your grade school tendencies to hate other local schools.

87. blueman
    2:21 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Before I get acused of being otherwise I have been a UK fan in all sports dating back to the 50’s borned in Kentucky but spent 67 of my 70 years in Central Indiana started listening to Cawood call UK and UofL games on radio my dislike for IU started when Knight came as Coach my dislike for Uof L came about with the hiring of Crum those two teams ranked 1and2 in that order until Knight was fired then Uof became number uno after listening to KSR for some time now iI understand UofL have some radical fans a does IU but I must say so does UK name calling of Players have been thrown out there ever since the season started this year UK is no better or worse than anybody else when it comes to some fans I just wii never root for UofL in anything I dont root for the State of Kentucky just the Univerity of Kentucky

88. Punctuation Punk
    2:47 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Run-on sentences suck. Use punctuation marks.

Punctuation saves lives:
    “Let’s eat Grandma!” or “Let’s eat, Grandma!”

89. dave
    3:46 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

oh and the dude pictured is either a douche or has a decent sense of humor. I do goofy shit all the time. If someone got all of the photos of my brother and me acting like fools, they could have a field day. And those pics are on facebook and other parts of the web. We just don’t give a f*ck!

90. dave
    3:50 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

No impact either way for me.

I’d love to have a Kentucky school win it.

If not a Kentucky school, then an SEC School.

91. FatBlueKid
    5:42 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Growing up and living in the hills, I have said it before, I hate everything about the city, the school, everything. I hate their colors, I hate like Matt said the AD and their coach. I don’t care of Dieng Dong and Siva are nice kids. No they play for Scum! Hate them too! Most of all, I hate the people that live in that city and want to run their mouth like if it was not for their ghetto rat trap of a city the whole state would not exist. THe state got suckered into building a palace for their mediocre basketball program that we can’t afford. Why not help the state of Ky and the poor that live in the hills that live in some of the worst poverty you will ever see to the point of 3rd world countries. Louisville is a complete out cast in this state. No one outside of the city can stand the city and the good people of Ky don’t want any part of it and they don’t want any part of us. So the Hell with them, I wish it would float over to Indiana with those Yankees

92. Joe
    6:13 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Build a new trophy case – Indiana made the sweet 16. Ha, ha, Crean is a horrible bench coach. The good thing about KY getting out early is that it gave Cal more time to recruit.

Indiana loses Hulls, Watford, Zeller (pros) and Oladipshit (pros). Back to .500 ball next year for the Hoo-Hoos.

93. MattO
    7:35 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Wow, that’s a lot of good reasons to be rational about not hating a team. Too bad sports fan-dom is anything but rational!

In all honesty though, I can’t help but point to “A UL Win is Good for the State and the Rivalry” as my main reason for hoping UofL will win it. The only reason people at large thing that UNC vs Duke is the biggest rivalry in basketball is because they have won so much recently. We all know UK vs UofL is a bigger rivalry, that people in this state live and die basketball, and all we need to show the country is for the two teams to have a ton of success for a couple of years. Back to Back to Back “State of Kentucky” championships would only help, as would getting to as many final fours as possible. Too bad we couldn’t pull off our end of the deal this year, but we’re going to clean house next year! Go Cats!

94. Legalice
    7:53 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt – I have both a BA and JD from Louisville. The university is solid academically, but not great. I have nothing against the academic institution. However, I hope they lose every game in every sport they play. Now living in Georgia people can’t understand why I hate the Cards so much…it is irrational on many levels. Truth is I have no real reason except I love the Cats. How can you love the Cats and root for U of L? As you eloquently outline here, you can’t! Nicely done…

95. Drew Blue
    9:15 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt, you should go back to Duke where you came from if you like them so much.
    Im the biggest damn UK fan hear and you will never hear me utter the words “I hope Duke wins” I don’t give a damn if they are playing Al Qaeda. I hope Duke losses. It goes the same for Indiana, basically.

96. Voice of Reason
    9:18 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

You hate them to see them win simply because they hated to see UK win last year. You are treating others the way they treated you. So, your hatred is not irrational. Be the bigger man and support their success.

97. The Captain
    9:37 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I think most of us feel the same way.

98. SamKat
    9:40 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Good job , Mr. Jones!

I, too, always want UL to lose in whatever, wherever, whenever. My dislike of the school (University of South Third Street as a Lu’vl native called them) began after they took out a fairly mediocre UK team in 1959 I believe. I had no idea sports fans could be so obnoxious, but they absolutely were. I was an Ohio engineering student at UK playing on intramural UK teams and at the YMCA. It was extremely grating to me.

Pitino and CM Newton’s traitorous decision also ranks high to make me dislike them.

But Sunday is Easter. A blessed Christian event central to our cause, and more even than Kentucky basketball. Keep up the good work for UK, Matt!

99. KSTV
    10:37 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Wow, first time I have seen Matt mention the name KSTV since he was fired.

100. Jack
    10:44 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Surely you can understand why UL fans hate you, right?? You devote a UK site to all things negative about UL and their fanbase…it’s not like they were hating on you before you dedicated a site to dogging them constantly. I like many others wish we could just focus on us and perhaps amp the rivalry the week prior to the games…the useless bashing gets old. I’m here for UK info, not for info on why you hate UL.

101. UKfanKathy
    11:38 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Hummmmmmmmmmmm, why do I HATE HATE HATE “that” team. Well, for one thing, they are ignorant fans. I attended that little school and their stupid remarks when referring to UK was quite sickening. And they can never never never have the tradition of UK, nor the total championships. Hey, they have won 2 itty bitty ones. And if (gag) they win this one, it will be 3 itty bitty ones. They are the most obnoxious fans ever. They can’t stand being “little brother” and always will be. They are soooooooooooooo jealous; but I guess they should be as they are sooooo inferior. I have a wonderful acronym for them: GAM. I shall not define here; but it gives me great pleasure when I am out and about and see them wearing that little birdie, I so much enjoy saying: There is a GAM. Tickles me. I wish the BBN a wonderful Easter. See ya next year – big time! GO CATS!

102. bluecreeker
    11:50 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

UofL Basketball: A bunch of really good kids who deserve to win it all due to their effort and persistence.

The coach, whom I used to absolutely love…..not so much of a great guy any more, but still a very good coach.

The fans……really, I live in Louisville and you will not find a more inferiority complexed bunch of Shively/Fairdale/PRP red-necks assembled in the world anywhere else. Most UofL fans didn’t even know the school existed until 1980 when Denny cheated his way to title no.1.

They now have an entire generation of fans who have no idea what it means to win a NC in Basketball….but they sure do know how to run that BCS Bowl up the flagpole, even though they played a “less tha D2 schedule” (SOS 155 RPI).

So to Siva, Smith, Dieng, Blackshear, Behanon, and that white kid that shoots the lights out of the ball…..good luck.

To the crappy UofL fans (not all)………. you can kiss my ass, and you had better win it all this year, cause next year aint happenin!

UK will rule once again.

103. kramer
    12:40 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I agree 100% with what you said, I know great people who are UL fans, and I even like some of the players too. I have lived in Louisville all my life, been a UK fan all my life. I can’t cheer for UL under any circumstances, I just can’t!

104. Bluieville
    5:02 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

102 Preach it Creeker! You just
    described the Louisville that I live in.