“Why are Kentucky fans so despised?” – A Hoosier Defends Us

Cal at Jeff Ruby’s in downtown Cincy via Mike from Sidebar (Covington)

Last night, we mentioned the animosity towards Kentucky fans that some sects of folks from the ‘Nasty Natti’ and Ohio had towards our Wildcats and John Calipari last night based on the Reds’ hosting of the UK guys and allowing Cal to throw out the first pitch.  Tyler recapped Marty Brennaman’s criticism of the hatred in last night’s notes, but there was an interesting article written on the topic yesterday.

Over at WCPO.com, John Popovich penned this piece that asks the ever-present question of,”Why are Kentucky fans so despised?” in which he blasts the haters.  This is a pretty thoughtful piece from a non-UK fan.  He acknowledges the good parts of the fanbase, along with the negatives that come with such a widespread group.

He basically calls OSU fans hypocrits, and I think he is spot on.  Living in NKY, Buckeye fans have proven themselves to be a beast I did not know existed in such annoying force.  And they have been one of the most outspoken critics of the Kentucky fanbase.  And that’s okay — just admit that you are the same thing except you wear red and white, don’t know the rules of basketball, and suddenly think Urban Meyer is a fantastic human being.

Check out this excerpt:

On my way home Monday, I was listening to Lance McAlister on 700-WLW, and there was a 56-year-old caller who seems to become physically ill when he sits next to a fan wearing a Kentucky jersey. He said he wouldn’t go near GABP Tuesday, even if he was offered Diamond seats, the best seats in the house.

What the hell am I missing? Have we become so uncivil, so intolerant, so misguided that we can’t appreciate what a school or a team has achieved?

There is some great stuff in this article, including a bit of ancient history that UC Bearcat fans apparently like to use against UK.  I’ve got no problem with either fanbase — I appreciate them for what they are and hope their programs succeed (so long as it is not at the expense of UK) so they can enjoy the fun that comes with being a fan.   And yes, I realize that the complainers don’t represent the entire fanbase of either.  I just wish they would have kept their negativity level at a minimum this week.

Overall, I think the displeasure of these Ohio folks were a bit over the top, but what can you expect when you’re Kentucky.  We know we are hated, but we also know that we are probably the best fanbase.  We literally dictate the market when it comes to college sports.  And you will always have haters when you’re on top.

Coach Cal went out to Jeff Ruby’s in downtown Cincinnati last night and had a great time.  According to my source for the pictures below, he was beyond generous with his time, posing for pictures and talking to everyone in sight, as he normally does.  It seems everyone had a good time, and we heard the Big Blue cheers were the loudest chants at the Reds’ game, so we can all walk away from this happy.  Here’s Mike from Sidebar enjoying last night with his friends…

Article written by Chris Thomas

29 Comments for “Why are Kentucky fans so despised?” – A Hoosier Defends Us

1. Blue Heaven
    6:08 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

I live in West Chester, a northern suburb of Cincinnati and I can tell you that UC, OSU and XU fans hate UK because they are incredibly jealous and the fact that they are all assholes, especially the UC lot.

It has less to do with how UK fans behave and more about how the other schools can’t stand to see UK dominate.

Loser’s hate winners and there are a lot of losers from Columbus to Cincinnati.

2. nassau65
    6:09 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

They want to be us. but can’t

3. David Wenta
    6:14 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

Efffffff ’em!

4. Dane Brammage
    6:37 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

LMAO #1.
    Blue Heaven, you hit the nail on the head.

5. Blue Heaven
    6:48 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

#4, The statement I hear the most up here is “My favorite team is anyone playing UK” and they don’t want to acknowledge what UK has accomplished, especially UC fans when it comes to basketball.

When OSU loses they fall back on the “Well we are a football school anyway”.

I usually tell all of the that the Surgeon General has stated a constant ass whipping can lead to permanent brain damage.

GO CATS!!!

6. GrumpyOldDude
    6:56 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

I live in NKY as well….the OSU fans are bad, but nowhere near as bad as UC fans, IMO. When Huggins was here, they were UNBEARABLE.

7. UKCatNKy
    7:05 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

I am so glad the championship was honored up here last night. I will cheer for XU, but hate UC and OSU with a passion and their whining about the Reds honoring UK is a prime example of why. Even my mom said it was because of their jealousy. Basketball season is the one time of year I hate living in NKy because UK is hardly ever covered. UC can’t even sell out their arena for games against Syracuse and UConn. And they think their football team is good because of one good season when they were crushed in their bowl game by Florida as a reality check. I was at the game last night and proudly wore my blue.

8. Ashley Grubb
    7:09 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

There is a disease in America
    where everyone hates anyone with an opposing view, loyalty whatever. It is the reason our nation is doomed to extinction within the next decade as the Muslim, oriental hordes take us over.

9. Michael
    7:11 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

We are the Kentucky Wildcats. We are the best basketball team in college basketball, now and always. We are the 2012 Ncaa Men’s National Champions. As far as anyone not liking us or our team I could careless. Though surprising, this has envy and pure jealousy all over it.

And the Ohio River will freeze over before we need a dirty HOosier to defend us.

Go Big Blue!!!

10. UnionUKFan
    7:12 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

#1-7 You all are right on with the jealousy. It is really evident where I work in Sharonville. The last 3 years has been really bad with the UK bashing at the workplace. But that is a good thing because UK bashing means UK is relevent again. Kentucky Basketball is back and “It ain’t going nowhere” anytime soon !!

11. Blue Heaven
    7:34 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

#8 It is called “Birth Rate” and has nothing to do with people hating anyone with an opposing view. You named the two groups that are having more children per family than everyone else on the planet. It is simple math, not hate.

12. Jrs1972
    7:42 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

I think you meant to say “fans of THE OSU”

13. Bobby Knight's shrink
    7:44 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

I treat the UK bashing as the highest compliment…..the result of jealousy….and the “have’s” just have more of what the “have nots” want , and that is NCAA Basketball trophies ! End of discussion !

14. Nate Leopold
    7:52 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

Both photos by: Nate Leopold – Cincinnati, Ohio

15. Mike from Cincy
    7:57 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

There are a decent amount of UK fans in Cincinnati. I have no clue why any idiot would care about the celebration last night…probably OSU fans complaining. Although, there are plenty of idiots who complain about everything on 700 WLW.

16. Kentucky buckeye
    8:20 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

I have grown up as a OSU and UK fan. I will always cheer for UK first, but I still love OSU. I can personally say as I am on both sides of this that buckeye fans only seem bad because of the people who stand up and talk. Every fan base has bad fans but there are a lot of good fans up in columbus too. Yes, they are a football school, and i can tell you that football is first by a long shot. Just thought i had to defend ateam I love.
    O-H-I-O
    But always
    C-A-T-S CATS!!! CATS!!!! CATS!!!

17. Jerry Sandusky
    8:21 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

Both photos by Jerry Sandusky.

18. Jerry Sandusky
    8:22 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

Not true #14. I took those photos by accident. You guys jumped in front of the kids I was taking pictures of.

19. uklaw95
    8:45 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

When the Enquirer allows a columnist to write a column stating that the Frosh shouldn’t be called student-athletes and won’t finish the spring semester, it is easy to see why so many fans in Cincinnati are ill-informed, biased, and elitist jerks.

20. Brother Michgian
    8:56 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

*condemns other fanbases for condemning UK’s fanbases*

Hey, I fit in, now!

21. coldspringmike
    9:06 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

I too worked in Cincinnati for 45 years and can say I never truly enjoyed basketball season until I retired, the reason being all the bashing of UK from the UC, OSU people in the workplace. Comments of cheating, paying players, cars, etc. etc. were said everyday, and boy did they let me have it when we lost. Since the factory had a large UK fanbase actually heard rumors of fist fights in the plant. So relaxing to be retired now and enjoying my UK boys

22. coldspringmike
    9:10 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

#19- you talking about UK grad Skinner who picked Kansas to beat us in the finals ?

23. uklaw95
    9:18 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

No, 22, Paul Daugherty wrote a column called “Don’t call them Student-Athletes” last week. Said if the frosh cared they would come back. Idiotic crap and what really pisses me off is that he defends Calhoun who can’t get his kids to finish out a semester.

24. tyrus
    9:49 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

#2 exactly…nuff said! BTW, Lance McAlister is about the best sports radio person I’ve listened to.

25. Don
    9:51 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

We are probably the best fan base???? Do you have some other fan base in mind Chris?

26. Daniel Rossiter
    10:26 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

I’ve lived in Northern Kentucky for 16 years. UC fans primarily are the source of hate toward UK up here. They are some of the most delusional fans that I have ever come across. They have fooled themselves into believing their basketball program is on the same level as UK’s. The same thing happened a couple of years ago in football when they won a BCS berth, all of a sudden they thought they were a premier football school…until Florida exposed them. Sad, pathetic, haters is all they really are, kind of similar to Loserville.

27. KAPPA SIGMA
    10:43 pm April 25, 2012 Permalink

A to B KNAPP!!!

28. curly turd
    2:42 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Right on 26-exactly
    22-I know Skinner and he absolutely hates Cal–takes shots at him all the time. Skinner is a big UK football fan but has hated the basketball cats ever since his boy Tubby left.

29. Blue Heaven
    7:49 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#28, There is a reason Skinner and Gamble lost their show…because they suck and know nothing about basketball. I have to laugh at people that act like the one-and-done players are supposed to be student athletes. They are only in college because they can’t go to the NBA so who gives a crap if they actually do school work? If Gates, Forbes, Zuckerberg…etc were told they had to go to college for one year before becoming a millionaire, check billionaire do you really think they would have gone to class?