Who is Drew Barker?

Quarterback- Pocket Passer

6’4”, 210 lbs.
Hebron, KY

Rivals: 5.8
Scout: #5 PP
247: #6 PP

Potential Schools: UK, Vandy, South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville, Cincinnati, WKU and more.

Twitter: @D_Barker7

Now that the Class of 2013 is pretty much in the books, it’s time to turn our attention to this year’s Juniors (after all, yesterday was Junior Day). I thought I’d start dabbling into this class with Conner High School QB Drew Barker; after all, talking about a Northern Kentucky guy that’s a QB should make my job VERY easy. Not only did Drew Barker make my Sunday morning easy, his highlight tape made my jaw drop. When I saw that he was one of the nation’s top pocket passers, I didn’t expect to see him consecutively throw two guys to the ground with stiffarms (it’s around the 1:10 mark).

Barker brings to the table a very complete game. I don’t want to call him Johnny Football, but I can’t stop myself from drawing comparisons. He runs the mesh very well; he’s not afraid to hit the hole and has deceptive speed by taking long strides in the open field (I also mentioned that he stiffarms people into the ground, correct?). His exceptional footwork is unlike most high school juniors. You can appreciate the fundamental nature of his footwork and the fact that he doesn’t stray too far away from it when under pressure. His smooth release is very high, giving him pinpoint accuracy and allowing him to get rid of the ball quickly when under pressure. All of those intangibles are great (do I need to mention the stiffarms again?), but what I appreciate most is his patience. You rarely see a JR QB sit in the pocket and go through his checks until he finds that 4th-option Wide Receiver.

I was impressed with his skill set, but I’m more happy that I personally “discovered” this kid today. I know people have been talking about him some, but they do not realize how important Barker could be for the Kentucky football program and Mark Stoops.  The QBs in the system now will not have the opportunity to see mainstream success at Kentucky, simply because it’s going to take a couple of years to become competitive. When Barker is a Sophomore it will be Stoops/Brown’s 3rd year at UK: year 3 will be Kentucky’s chance to shake up the SEC with Barker as the Starting QB. Neal Brown must be licking his chops because Barker is the perfect fit for the Air Raid, bringing great pocket passing to the table with a run option. Fans will not be able to contain their excitement when a Kentucky boy has A VERY REAL CHANCE to lead the Cayts to their first SEC Championship game.

[email protected]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

45 Comments for Who is Drew Barker?

1. meeksuperfan
    11:44 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

Stoops there it is

2. NL
    11:45 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

No. 22 looks really good too.

3. cat fan hendo
    11:46 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know how often they will be profiling these players? One a day? #StoopsTroops

4. Rustywildcat
    11:48 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

Why are we assuming a senior Patrick Towles wouldn’t have the starting job in the 3rd year of the stoops/brown era? Oh yea thanks for “discovering” this kid for us.

5. Hey
    11:50 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

Has anyone heard how Tevin Lawson’s visit went?

6. JohnW
    11:56 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

Yes how did the Lawson visit go….we all know offense is great to see but it will take a defense to get the job done in the SEC…..

7. Confused
    11:57 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

1. He might not even come to UK.
    2. Towles is a pretty good QB, I think.
    3. Max Smith could also still be here… (Medical redshirt last year?)
    4. We are never going to win the SEC East.
    With all of the above items being considered, there are huge hole in your conclusion that he is going to lead us to an SEC East championship in his Soph year…

8. Nick Roush
    12:00 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

3. Probably twice a week, there just aren’t enough recruits, and it usually isn’t as fun

9. back down to earth
    12:01 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Far be it from me to dash someone’s dreams, but after UK comes off a 2-10 season, has a VASTLY improved but STILL 13/14th ranked recruiting class in the SEC, Stoops has NEVER coached a game yet, and the staff has never coached together at all, you are asserting UK has a “very real chance” to play for an SEC Championship in a couple years? Ok well dream on. I could understand “hoping” to play for an SEC Championship, could see that being the goal, but a “very real chance for a championship”??? LOL Geez you are putting the cart about a mile in front of the horse. How about we just see if we can get to 6 wins by year 3 first?

10. Jacob Adam Brooks
    12:02 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Nick Roush)

It won’t take three years to be competitive again. You act like the next two years will be as bad as last. We’ll be in a lot of games next year and win a fair share but the year after we could be a 7-5/8-4 team.

11. Jeff Garlin
    12:04 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

#7 is salty!

12. Jacob Adam Brooks
    12:08 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

10) but we also won’t win the SEC east any time soon

13. 3cats
    12:19 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Barker is a UK fan, if he come to UK he could red Shirt.Can never have to many QB’s in the system. This kid can play and has the arm and touch need to play QB for Brown. I like Smith and Towles too. Let’s just enjoy talking about football this time of the year.

14. 3cats
    12:23 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

#12 we also didn’t believe Louisville would beat Fl. like they did. If Louisville can build want the did in 3 yrs so can we. But playing
    SEC teams every week is not the Big East or ACC. Time will tell. Go Cats!

15. Lil c
    12:25 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Kid looks pretty legit, but it’s kinda hard judging just how good he when he plays against competion like that. Notice the score of the game at the 2:35 mark. Not a lot of defense on either teams. Just sayin….. BBN4ever

16. buckster1
    12:26 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

#7&#9 if you want to be a pessimist(realist according to yourself) dont worry about it and go back to your cave or basement, no one cares. Let us enjoy the good vibes and have a larger goal with vision. Your negativity is what has had us in this hole for the past 60 years. Constant we cant we can’t blah blah. I love Stoops and crews attitude WE CAN AND Will!!!. That is what recruits see and hear.

17. DantheCat
    12:40 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Nick…I hate to rain on your parade , but I have been preachng this kid for weeks to MJ and anybody who will listen…But, I am a tea guy and if we can get him to KENTUCKY

18. back down to earth
    12:40 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

#16 Aside from the absurdity of predicting UK playing for an SEC championship before our new coach has even stepped on the sidelines for the first time, the reason for my comments in #9 is I think it is stupid for fans to place unrealistic expectations on this staff so early. People saying UK will be playing in a bowl game next year, and playing for SEC championships in 2 years or whatever are the same people that will be calling for Stoops’ job if he doesn’t do it!!! I am a fan, and I KNOW football is improving. But again, settle down and realize its gonna take more than 1 improved recruiting class to turn the corner.

19. DantheCat
    12:44 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Nick…I hate to rain on your parade, but I have been preaching this kid to MJ and anybody else who would listen for weeks now…That being said, I am a team player and if he comes to KENTUCKY you can have all the credit…I honestly think he us the most improtant recruit for this program since Couch…And I just kidding about raining on your parade…We are all BBN baby…STOOPS TROOPS..Sorry about post 17 I hit the wrong key…

20. DantheCat
    12:46 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

I really can spell!!!…LOL…

21. Stone
    12:50 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

2) pretty sure that #22 is going to be a preferred walk-on here next year. He’s a really good friend of Barker’s so that’s gotta help our chances

22. DantheCat
    1:00 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

#7&9…Dream big or go home…get in the bus or get the hell out of the way!!!

23. Really?
    1:12 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Well seeing how half the highlights are verus Campbell County highschool, and the fact he doesn’t make any one miss unless its a stiff arm in any clip, good luck with being Johnny Football. Kid won’t be able to run for 50 yards in a game in the SEC. Keep dreaming. Does seem to have a good arm though.

24. Mikey
    1:25 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Drew’s receiver: “he throws a nice ball that I enjoy catching.”

25. fireants25
    1:27 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

that #22 WR is a beast

26. jake
    1:28 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

it’s high school football in kentucky nick roush…

27. Mike Stoops
    1:30 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Before you folks put Mark Stoops in the Hall of Fame, before he has coached a single game, you should research his brother Mike. You see Mike Stoops was a great defensive coordinator and assistant coach at Oklahoma, one if the best in the country. Mike even played in the NFL. He left to become the head coach at the University of Arizona. He hired his brother, Mark, to be his Defensive Coordinator. He even hired an Offensive Coordinator out of Texas Tech. Sound familiar? Oh, according to Arizona fans, Mike Stoops was going to revive a dismal program and compete for conference championships and maybe a national championship or two. Anyone know the result? Mike coached there for 8 years and won 45% of his games. He averaged 5 wins a season and was eventually fired.

28. wide tackle 5.9
    1:42 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me… or does this kid have good “touch” on the ball for someone his age?

29. RichmondRob
    1:44 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

For all the negative people: please read the book “the power of positive thinking”. Also, if you hate UK football so much, don’t bother with your comments on here. No one cares about the hate you’re spewing – except, maybe, potential recruits. You’re part of the problem. You define the negative history of the program and no one likes you. So, shut your mouth. P.S. it’s time to move out of your mom’s basement. She really doesn’t like you freeloading.

30. Austin
    1:44 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

That #22 kinda reminds me of Tweeter from Varsity Blues. As for the Barker kid. He has talent, but I would not go as far to say a Johnny Football type; lacks break-away speed. I think the better comparison is Big Ben. Can scramble some, but is big and has a strong arm to make all the throws. He would be a great get none the less.

31. paducahfan
    1:44 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

I like how his guys can catch it.

32. Debbie Downer
    1:45 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

#27, Thanks for the write up. You are awesome. The possibility of this not working had not entered anyone’s mind until your comment. How incredibly insightful and intelligent you are. Keep up the Good Work!

33. Horton the elephant
    1:48 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: We’ll have better players and better coaching. We’ll be conpetitive. That will be a treat.

34. Man Hands
    1:49 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Wow!!!!

I had heard he was good… but had no idea.

Looks like the Drew Barker recruitment will have my complete attention this year.

I’ve never seen a High School QB like that in KY.

35. Jpo
    1:51 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

32. Haha nice

36. Jarvis Redwine
    2:40 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

7) & 9)

People tend to forget that South Carolina won the SEC East a couple of years back with a 5-3 conference record. If you don’t believe UK could do that, you should not consider yourself a fan.

37. Nky
    3:10 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Guys, hate to rain on your parade but I’ve watched this kid in person for the last two years and his accuracy is a huge issue. He has all the tools and hopefully it can be fixed, but he doesn’t progress through his reads well and doesn’t consistently throw a catchable ball. Highlight tapes can be misleading. He has a rocket for an arm and has a ton of tools but will need a lot of work at the next level.

38. Danthecat
    3:34 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

37..NYK…I see his offer sheet and looks like a lot of folks are willing to “put up” with the effort to coach this kid…I think in NB’S system he will be an outstanding college qb…Sure hope he bleeds blue and gets on board with the BBN!!!!…Heard J. Lorenzen say recently that he was going to be working with Drew this summer at some camps and he says this kid has all the tools to be and outstanding qb…

39. mudcreekmark
    3:52 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

OK, lets get one thing straight, Mark Stoops will not have us competing for an SEC championship in 3 or 4 years but he may have us to the point to where we can be competitive again like Brooks had us. Then we can build on that. Joker set us back that far or maybe even further.

40. Nky
    5:33 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Very true. I think he’ll be a great player. I just don’t want people think he’ll be a Johnny football. Those are unfair expectations. He can be great if he puts in the work. I think he will and would love to see him in a UK uniform. It’ll just take him a few years wherever he goes.

41. chad
    5:43 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

This kids going to be really good wherever he goes. Would love to see him representing big blue nation

42. Dez
    6:25 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

#7
    Why dont you shut your mouth. Have some faith or go dig yourself a hole and stick your head in it.

43. Doo Doo Brown
    11:13 pm February 10, 2013 Permalink

Drew Barker visited UL during the UK game and tweeted #GoCards, he’s not really a UK fan for the record.

44. UKfanNKY
    9:57 am February 11, 2013 Permalink

My Nephew a Senior this past year has played with Drew and tells me he is leaning toward South Car. now that was pre-Stoops, so things may have changed. I have watched this kid play several times and he is for real. He has had a reciever by the name of Cameron Fogle (Senior this yr.) who is also for real with great speed and hands and tough as nails. Not real big but with out a doubt be just like Dicky Lyons Jr. and Derek Abney if you remember them. Drew would be a huge land for the CATS!! Not sure what Cameron Fogle plans are but if anything the CATS should offer him a scholly or walk-on! GO CATS!!!

45. Lies
    11:22 am February 11, 2013 Permalink

He is not leaning toward anyone at this time.