Who else should get a ring?

Over the weekend, rapper Drake tweeted out a picture of his Kentucky National Championship ring, which caused a bit of a brouhaha in the Big Blue Nation. Some of you thought Drake didn’t deserve such an honor, while others seemed to tap into what Cal was likely thinking: Drake is cool, and if recruits see him wearing the ring, they’ll think Kentucky is cool too.

Proving that he’s always got one ear to the ground, Calipari took to Twitter to explain the gift this morning: “One of the greatest things about winning a national championship is it gives me the opportunity to show my appreciation. Whether it was providing a ring to a family member or friend, sending gear to longtime supporters, or taking trophy pics with our fans, I’m grateful to be able to show my appreciation to my friends and followers in whatever way I can.”

In his time at Kentucky, Cal has transformed the UK “brand” from a traditional basketball power that had faded over time to the ultimate elite in the sport, in terms of talent, success, and popularity. Never before has Kentucky been so hip, with rappers dropping the school’s name in songs and top recruits literally begging for offers. Cal has put together a group of Kentucky “ambassadors” that promote the brand in pop culture by coming to games, sporting the team’s gear, and generally giving Kentucky that “cool factor” popular with the prize demographic: teenage basketball players. It’s just another way Cal’s staying ahead of the curve when it comes to recruiting. Coach K may have a stretch limo, but hey, did you see that Drake’s got a National Championship ring?

Matt and Ryan addressed the topic on the radio show this morning, taking suggestions for other celebrities or figures associated with the program who deserve a ring. Here’s what they came up with:

— Josh Hopkins
— Steve Zahn (a huge supporter of the football team, apparently)
— Oscar Combs
— Ashley Judd
— LeBron James

Anyone else?

100 Comments for Who else should get a ring?

1. Roc Nation
    1:04 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

UMM…Jay-Z….What’s 50k to a MF’er like me, can you please remind me?

2. atlantacat
    1:04 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Why do celebrities deserve a ring? They’re not any more special than anyone else in the fan base. Other than Oscar, I’ve been a fan longer than any of them. Can I get one?

3. UK Wildcat
    1:04 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Do you think Andrew Wiggins even knows who Josh Hopkins, Steve Zahn, Oscar Combs, or Ashley Judd are? No effing way.

4. UK Wildcat
    1:06 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#2 Drake is more important than Billy Bob Johnson who fills up gas tanks and LOVES HIS CATS WOOOHOOOO

5. Casey
    1:06 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

How was Jay-Z left off?

6. King Kelly Coleman
    1:06 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Cal giving rings and swag to people for being supportive of the program is not the same as “deserving” a ring. The only people who DESERVE a ring are the coaching staff, players, & people directly affiliated with the team and directly impacted the team to help them win #8. Giving out rings to rappers and other famous people simply as a recruiting tool diminishes the honor and sanctity of the ring itself. It’s really a dishonor to the players who worked for that ring, and then “Drizzy” gets one for just being a fan. Pretty absurd!He didn’t DESERVE a ring, nor does A Judd, Bron Bron, or even O. Combs (although you could make an argument for Combs. Think about the word “deserve” and then who actually does deserve a ring!

7. GoCats2
    1:07 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I think “GoCats2 gets a ring” makes a great blogpost headline.

8. HILARIOUS
    1:08 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#4…HILARIOUS!!

9. JB
    1:09 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

He may not “deserve” the ring, but I support the move all the way. It simply serves as evidence to other teams that they will never (at least while Cal is in Lexington) top Kentucky. We are the cool program.

10. HILARIOUS
    1:09 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#4..I literally have that guy pictured in my head pumpin gas in a cut off and trucker hat screamin how much he loves his CAYUTS!!

11. George
    1:11 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Cal deals out so much BS he can’t keep up with what he does or says. Long time fan, but not a Cal fan. Neither will a lot of other fans when he gets his arse handed to him.

12. ShutUp
    1:13 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

ugh, please remove 11 before people start talking about UK’s redneck fan base. It’s probably some Louisville turd typing it, although I am aware we have a few of those idiots too.

13. #Rise
    1:14 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Johnny Short

14. westkybbn
    1:14 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

no one else should get a ring.. only the players and staff with the program should have one. Drakes ring only cheapens the efforts, practices and time given to reach #8 championship. no other reason is acceptable.

15. HeadingOutToPastureCelebrity
    1:14 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Wat? #12 . . . you must be George Clooney . . . haha, a UL supporter no doubt.

16. Freedom of Speech?
    1:16 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Why do you wish to silence those with opinions different of your own? Are you insecure in your beliefs?

17. Common Sense
    1:17 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Those who deserve the rings are indeed the players, coaches and staff . . . to them the rings will always be a symbol of their time, effort and success. Whether another person that didn’t deserve a ring will in no way diminish what the ring symbolizes to those individuals . . . come on. Let’s take that argument a step further, maybe they shouldn’t sell replica Kentucky jerseys . . . I mean hey.

Steve Zahn . . . really?

18. Smiffanator
    1:17 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Drake is a donor to UK basketball, I think giving him a ring is no problem.. If any of you all want one, you can order a ring online and have your name on it.. wow people more to do in their lives if this is a big deal for them.

19. J Jones
    1:19 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Bush league move on cal!s part. If he gets one the whole bbn deserves one. It really is a slap in the face to the players who worked so hard to get it. Can!t believe the university let him do that. Just really pisses me off. I think ashley and hopkins should be asking where is my ring.

20. big blue
    1:21 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Drake is a donor? asking for trouble… drake is a thug. thugs begat thugs.. be careful….

21. big blue
    1:22 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#20 u are correct

22. Tebkats
    1:23 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

If anyone deserves a ring it is Ellen Calipari.

23. UKBlue
    1:23 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Joe Craft defiantly deserves a ring !!

UL is stupid: once all the Chic Fil A crap dies down, they are going to realize they just screwed themselves because 1. Chic Fil A is good 2. since Chic Fil A met all the obligations of it’s lease & are only getting kicked out because of the CEO comments, UL is now going to get sued by the franchisee. UL just found a way to screw themselves over twice at the same time.

24. Me
    1:24 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Bobby (I’m going to choke you out) Knight and Digger (listen to me) Phelps?

25. luvmesumcats
    1:25 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I love it. Cal is a master at re-branding. Think about how irrelevant Memphis was before he came. What was UMASS before Cal. Add the tradition and history of UK to a person embracing a worldwide re-branding effort, and all of a sudden you’re bigger than freaking Wal Mart.

And if you think that any of those players are worried about a “diminished value”, you’re out of your mind…those kids (and every student and other athlete associated with UK (and every fan or message board or fan site)) is walking around all swelled up with their head high.

It’s not “what we used to be” that creates that. It’s the what we are and where we are headed that makes the buzz. I mean, people are complaining over a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ring…I’d venture to say that most of us on here don’t even recognize the NC as the pinnacle…most are asking, “what’s next?” and “How far can this thing go?”. Gotta love BBN!

Jay-Z gets a ring.
    Obama gets a ring.
    Eddie Montgomery gets a ring.
    Tom Crean gets one, but with “Schrute” carved on the side.

You’re welcome.

26. Lisa Mac
    1:26 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Glen Campbell. There is a pic of him wearing a UK t-shirt in this week’s National Enquirer.

27. Chick Fil A
    1:27 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Please stop using our name if you can’t even spell it correctly, morons.

28. Chick Fil A
    1:28 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

or if you want to get technical, it’s actually Chick-fil-A. However we’d accept Chick Fil A over Chic-fil-a

29. Kenneth Campbell
    1:29 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

What about Eddie Montgomery?

30. bigbluenow
    1:29 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

the ring representing the #8 championship is to special to be just given to anyone unless they earned it. this artist? did not earn it.

31. BCG
    1:31 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Darius was a Billy Clyde recruit… just sayin’

32. John W
    1:33 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

@22, you’re an idiot.

33. FaggitLover
    1:34 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

UK is on a downward spiral and this just proves it.

34. Um Hello????
    1:38 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Why is #11’s post even still up using that kind of language (spelled wrong but still).

35. Um Hello????
    1:39 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Thank you!

36. Cleveland Cat
    1:39 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#21 obviously you don’t know who Drake is. He was on a teen tv show as an actor and is from an educated, well-to-do family. Calling him a thug is laughable. I’m all for Cal giving these types of people rings because top recruits look up to celebrities like Drake, Jay-Z, Lebron, ect. Cal is smart and is a winner. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Quit the bitching.

37. FreedomIsn'tFree
    1:40 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

17 Chick-fil-A is awesome, but your ignorance isn’t. The silencing that needs to be done here is that of idiots who can’t correctly spell a restaurant’s name or a derogatory word that they repeatedly use.

38. bigBluSotru
    1:41 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Well i am bit to old to know what a Drizzy is have nothing against rap just not my genre of noise.I know who this rapper is, from what i understand he is wack to certain young men but the girls love him. Any way Cal, does these things under the direciton of William Wesley who has these contacts. I will say this i know muscians are just like clothing a fad. My fear is that and mark it down it will happen Cal bringing all these famous people around these young men eventually there is going to be some improper things said or done regarding the recruiting of players. He needs not do this and when it happens some promise made to help a kids friend or family member break into the business is going to fall through and we will get hammered.No freaking celebraty needs a ring.

39. FreedomIsn'tFree
    1:41 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

yeah my post was for the old 17, thanks for removing post 11 even if it made my comment refer to the wrong one. no offense, new 17, it was aimed at the new 16.

40. yourmomwasfree
    1:42 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

39. I think the name says it best.

41. VolsFan
    1:46 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Rap instills good character and moral values. My pale,white daughter told me so.

42. Yourmomisstillfree
    1:46 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

40 wow that was genius, clearly you are super intelligent.

43. MyDadSaysIt'sOver
    1:48 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

40 My dad says that after reading your comments, he is breaking up with you. Don’t be coming over later tonight like you usually do. He’s on to the next dude.

44. Mark Liptak
    1:48 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Former head coach Joe B. Hall whom Cal talks to / invites to observe practice and probably picks his brain…a lot.

Mark Liptak

45. JustA Thought
    1:50 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I don’t recall James Ramsey boycotting anything four yesrs ago when Obama proclaimed his support of Traditionam Marriage. Do tou think Ramsey would protest if the CEO of Papa Johns or YUM’ Brands expressed a personal opinion different from his?

46. MyDadSaysIt'sOver
    1:52 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

sorry that you’re so upset 46. Maybe you’ll find someone else who is willing to accept you for the fat, ugly, ignorant person that you are. I know, I know…my dad is one of a kind so it will be difficult for you to find another. Oh and he says you may wanna go to the health dept and get yourself checked. perhaps you can sit by the interstate with a sign and save up enough money to get tested.

47. JustStopIt
    1:56 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

As a member of the entertainment industry: Drake. Is. Not. Cool.

48. Drew
    1:58 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I’ve heard different stories from those who have received rings this year. Including friends in the athletics department (marketing) and the bus driver. Supposedly Cal was the reason behind all of them. I bet there were 150 or more rings produced. You’d be shocked who has one. Doesn’t de-value the championship, just shows gratitude to anyone that was involved.

49. Here'sYourAnswer
    2:00 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

45 I think you are on the wrong website, as this is a sports website and no one is talking about restaurants. However since you seem to be stuck on this topic, I will try to help you out. It doesn’t matter what someone thought 4 years ago, it matters what they think today. Four years ago most UK fans thought Cal was a sleazy cheater, and now that they know all the facts, most UK fans think he is the complete opposite. I’ll sum it up in words you may be able to understand: people are allowed to change their minds, they don’t have to stick with the same opinion forever.

50. bobthebuilder
    2:00 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

John Short definitively deserves a ring

51. 44 Stitches
    2:01 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Drake is an AWFUL rapper. I’m hoping Calipari gave him a ring to bribe him into going back to being a soap opera star and stop rapping. Drake along with to many other popular rappers today are all garbage.

52. UKats
    2:04 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

When are some of you people ever going to learn that Cal knows what he is doing? There is a reason for most everything he does, especially when it comes to looking out for what benefits the program. Let him do his thing.

53. bluebloodtoo
    2:05 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Wow… if you take out all the “he said, she said” drama and BS, there are only about 10 comments here that are actually related to the post. And you guys wonder why people are always making fun of our state as rednecks and hillbillies…Geez!

54. L2C8
    2:05 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Mike Tomlinson

55. CRS
    2:06 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Ashley Judd deserves nothing. She was absent during the BCG years and then shows up all of sudden to show her “support” and “speak for all of BBN.” She sucks.

56. John Tummelson
    2:07 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Okay, Cal is the best for us, but why cheapen the accomplishment for the players and team as a whole by giving out rings to celebrities? I get people within the university that truly helped the team. I guess I find a contribution like driving the bus being more important than being famous and saying “I love the Cats.” I just can’t help but think that some other form of appreciation can suffice. The good news is if this is my problem with the current coaching staff we are in darn good shape. Go Cats!!!!

57. herekittykitty
    2:09 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

53 i dont care if you think Cal knows what he’s doing. giving that rapper a ring is just not right, i dont care what reason he has. Drake drizzy drippy whatever is a thug. be careful

58. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    2:12 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I personally think this is retarded. The only individuals getting rings should be the players, coaches, and staff involved. A separate token of gratitude/appreciation could be thought of to give to other people who support the program.

59. herekittykitty
    2:12 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

we dont need thugs around our program… just asking for trouble..

60. Nope.jpg
    2:13 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

@58, at least he ain’t a faggit lovin’, remixed versions of Madonna’s “What it Feels Like for a Girl” listenin’ faggitlover deluxe like some people in this thread.

61. CATS
    2:14 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I bet other celebs like Lebron and Jay-z got a ring too, they probably just didn’t show it off on instagram like Drake did. Would any of us even know Drake got a ring, if he hadn’t taken a picture and put it on the Internet?

62. SeaCat
    2:16 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Cal is a genius and will prove to be the best thing to
    happen to Kentucky since Rupp.
    Three more NC’s, better than Rupp!!

63. yesterdays
    2:17 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Our fans can find anything to bitch about. This is ludicrous. Who cares if Cal gave a ring to someone outside the program? Do you really care? What is the negative side of this? Do you think any of the players care that Drake got a ring? I am gonna say no. Do you think that recruits see and hear Drake talking about his “UK ring.” I am gonna say yes.
    Get over yourself. Ridiculous that Cal gets criticized for this. Unreal.

64. Hoser Eh
    2:18 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Jewish-Canadian rappers named Aubrey are now considered hip? KSR wouldnt know what was cool if it sat and wiggled on their face. Tupac, Biggie and Easy MFn E must be turning in their grave.

65. herekittykitty
    2:20 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#63 what do you care if people want to bitch about it. get over yourself.

66. Danny Jett
    2:20 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I already have one!!!

67. gokats
    2:23 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#63 the negative side is bringing THUGS into the locker room/program. asking for trouble..

68. UKats
    2:24 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Cal has the right to give the gift of a ring to whomever of his friends or supporters of the program he so chooses.

69. Drew
    2:27 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

63 – thugs like who? I hope you don’t mean Drake..

70. Drew
    2:27 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

67 i meant

71. Gandalf
    2:27 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

There is only one Lord of the Rings, and he does not shre power!

72. BPsycho
    2:28 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#65 get over yourself! lol Everyone loves bitching!

People calling him a thug are ruhtarded. Drake isn’t even close to a thug you’re a racist pos just post what you really want to say. If he didn’t “give” him a ring, he could purchase one himself…

ITS A RING.. Who cares. He should have auctioned it for charity? You have no right to say anything about his charity work. Calipari just orchestrated us a championship, bringing us back from UK hell..

Ungrateful bunch of pricks is what you ***holes are.

73. 44 Stitches
    2:30 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I’m cracking up at people calling Drake a thug. Drake isn’t a THUG. Drake is softer than a 2yr olds pissed filled diaper.

74. smoke and mirrors
    2:34 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

You sure aboult that #68. Give a ring to certain people and let the NCAA find out, then tell me it’s OK to give a ring to anyone he wants. As far as Drake a supporter, what a damn joke.

75. Scott
    2:35 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

How about Mrs. Keightly

76. Chris Brown
    2:37 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Drake will dot that eye with his UK Championship ring “44 Stitches” just like he did me. Or was that Tony Parker?

77. katskatskats
    2:42 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

72 now whos the prick, you prick.

78. yesterdays
    2:43 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Drake is a “thug?” I dont care what you think he is. Your simply creating a possible problem with what Cal is doing. There is no actual problem with this. It is not illegal to give a ring to anyone. Cal could walk down the street and give a ring to 50 random people if he wanted to. THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT THIS. Its the same as when the university gives out elite nike clothing to high-level boosters. Do you think Joe Craft didnt get a ring? This is a publicity thing. Amazed that people are trying to find some reason that this is a bad idea.

79. Cuptheballs
    2:44 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Drakes entourage starting a bar fight, throwing bottles and hurting inocent bystanders doesnt scream goodwill ambassador. psycho should pop coaches tts out his mouth before he speaks.

80. Quit crying already
    2:45 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Giving Drake a ring does NOT in any way diminish the “real” rings that the players received because Drake received a REPLICA ring. It is like a replica jersey. Or replica shoes. Or replica teeth.

81. gocats
    2:46 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

yesterdays; no one said it is illegal, just saying he does not deserve one anymore than you or i deserve one. he nor we did not earn it.

82. 44 Stitches
    2:48 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

@ #76…

I think you meant Drake’s bodyguard’s dotted Chris Brown’s eye. Whoa the entourage’s of of a clown rapper and women beater were throwing bottles and drink’s at each other in a club like some chickenhead hoe’s.

83. BPsycho
    2:52 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#77 I didn’t say I wasn’t.

#79 He didn’t start that “fight” And yeah, I’ll continue to support our “CHAMPIONSHIP” winning coach.

Notice I said championship winning coach, not jizzerz down the leg coach…

84. Cuptheballs
    2:58 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

You do realize jizzers is your “CHAMPIONSHIP'( why the caps and quotes?) winning coach too.

85. BPsycho
    2:59 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#81 You deserve one if you want one bro lol… You just have to purchase one.

They earned a NCAA championship with a ring as a bonus. They deserved the championship. If they lose the ring it means nothing other than they’re out a ring, but the championship is FOREVER. Haven’t been able to say championship since 98′ so, championship, championship.

86. BPsycho
    3:00 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#84 True tru. I respect what he did, but just in the 90’s lol I’m not posting anymore about the ring. I’ve pricked it up enough I think.

87. bluesman
    3:03 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#74 agree,a fan is a fan a fan with a ring is a booster why invite trouble only the current coaches and players should have those rings

88. gocats
    3:09 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#85 i am not your “BRO” and buying one Not earning the ring just cheapens what it stands for.

89. C Ray
    3:52 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Billy Gillispie should get a ring.. One of his personalities is responsible for getting his ass fired. Without that= No Championship.

90. Smoke and Mirrors
    4:35 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#78, if you think Cal can give “anybody” he wants a ring with no problems for the University, you have lost your mind. There ARE restrictions on what he can give to who and if he violates it, the University pays the price, as we the fans do if it snowballs.I can’t see a upside to giving anyone a ring, Drake can afford one, let him buy it, then, no problem.

91. Suffo-Cats
    5:04 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Not only is giving a ring genius but since he gave one to Canada’s biggest rapper I’m betting there was some angle to try to land Canada’s biggest recruit? Come on down Mr. Wiggins

92. Suffo-Cats