Who Do We Want To Not Lose?

That’s how we’ll word this situation that we Kentucky fans find ourselves in. Louisville and Duke will play each other tomorrow with a trip to the Final Four in Atlanta on the line. I’ll give you second to clean the puke out of your keyboard….

Bad news? One of these 2 teams gets to go to the Final Four. The good news? One of them doesn’t. Sure, we would all love for some momentary collapse of the laws of bracketology that would allow both of these teams to go home un-victorious, but on this planet, it is rather impossible. So, the question becomes, which of these 2 teams would you prefer to not lose? Just as a refresher course, let’s go over the Top 3 reasons UK fans hate each of these schools so we can make an informed decision.

LOUISVILLE:

1. Rick Pitino – We loved him in blue, but in red or his white suit that is actually more of a cream or egg color. It’s not pleasant for us, almost like you had a incredibly sexy girlfriend who was fiery and fun to hang out with, until she dumped you and started dating your little brother. Only now big brother has an even hotter girlfriend, and won the national championship last season. Anything to make those “Got Pitino?” shirts more ironic is good in my book.

2. Line Beards – Sometimes referred to as the “chinstrap”, the line beard in the last decade has become the official corporate face hair sponsor of Cardinal Athletics. In fact, I saw one yesterday (and yes, obviously they were also wearing a flat bill) .Who can forget this picture?

Mirror pics are also a favorite of the Cards fans, as our fearless leader Matt Jones depicts.

3. L1C4 – I have no idea how this stuck. I have no idea how someone in the marketing department at UofL thought of this and said “brilliant!”. It’s corny, weird to say, and really if you break it down makes no sense at all. It does however, allow for some very clever puns.

#L1C4FakeNationalTitles

DUKE:

1. Christian Laettner – Although he has made amends to a degree with the #BBN in the past few years, Laettner is still public enemy #1 in most Kentucky fans hearts. The fact that every March, the happiest time of the year in the state, there’s always a few fleeting moments of anger as CBS brutally reminds the Wildcat faithful that “The Shot” actually did happen, and isn’t a horrible nightmare. You’re a cool guy, but you still suck, Laettner.

2. Cameron Crazies – Never before have you seen such a group of rowdy, loud, obnoxious group of nerds in your life, unless you’ve taken a group survey of Duke students and asked them to yell violently if they still have their virginity (get it, they all do). I can’t blame them though, I’d be excited too if I finally had a forum to unleash my study-caused hypertension and social anxiety disorder onto some poor away player merely trying to inbound a basketball. Even their basketball gym looks like a library with a dance floor in the middle.

3a. Coach K – Seriously man, we all know that’s not your real hair color. You are 160 years old and you want me to believe your hair is still blacker then the blackest black any scientist could ever discover? Not to mention from afar it appears to have the texture of the plastic, shell hair you would find on an action figure. I hope you retire soon so we can see which one of your assistant coaches you send to do the press conference for you.

3b. Christian Laettner – One serving of hate would not suffice, so I had to say it twice. You suck, Laettner.

With all this being said, being from Louisville and attending the University of Louisville, not having to hear the chatter from the Cards fans for another week would be nice. Most Duke hatred stems from a time when I hadn’t been born yet, so maybe the fire doesn’t burn as deep inside for the Blue Devils as it does for UofL, which is why I would put my support behind Duke. It would be neat to have back-to-back champions from Kentucky, but I’m not sure I can handle that intense level of Cardinal trash talk until Kentucky reclaims the crown next April. On the bright side; we don’t have to worry about Indiana any more.

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

64 Comments for Who Do We Want To Not Lose?

1. FIFO
    6:06 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I agree, I can get over the whole Duke hatred b/c we all know there are losers and they know they are losers. Louisville on the other hand thinks they are some hot sh**. Screw the whole “But it makes KY as a state look good” approach. I hope UofL gets drilled like I would Seth Curry’s mother.

2. CatsFanInLouisville
    6:12 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

DUKE. PERIOD. Luck Fouisville. If Duke wins it all, yeah it sucks but we won’t have to hear about it from little brother all year. But if Loserville wins it all we are never going to hear the end of it. At least until we win #9 next season.

3. spookykim
    6:13 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Whatever, young whippersnappers — I still hate Laettner. I would NEVER root for Duke. As much as it pains me to say it, Go Cards.

4. Joe
    6:14 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I am a diehard UK fan. Having said that, I want Duke to win tonight. This is because I think if Loserville wins tonight, they win it all. I don’t see a team out there that can beat them. However, I think a couple of the teams can beat Duke. So I want Duke to win tonight, and lose one of their next games. I don’t want Florida to win either. I would rather see Michigan or Syracuse (probably vacated anyway) win.

Go Cats!

5. Whaatttttt
    6:19 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

it would be a good trick for Duke to win tonight they play tomorrow.I will be pulling for puke to win then hope they lose the next one.I hat UL

6. Whaatttttt
    6:21 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Joe you must not know any loserville fans they will make life hell if they win it all

7. VickieD
    6:22 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

C’mon you losers. Let it go. Basketball season ended with the loss to Vandy. You guys are probably still watching the Ladykats also. But since you asked–Rick Pitino must go down! Go Dookies!

8. Whaatttttt
    6:26 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

go big blue

9. Joe
    6:28 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, the game is tomorrow. But I said that I wanted Louisville to lose, not win. I don’t want to hear all that crap from them.

10. David19
    6:28 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

How in hell does UL have a shirt with FOUR NC’s? I thought UK and USF won in ’48 & ’56?

11. Cope
    6:33 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

UK 48,49,51,58,78,96,98,12. The turds, 80 and 86… The other two are just NIT titles. Ha just shows how pathetic they truly are

12. ROBERT MORRIS
    6:34 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

WHO cares what the NIT first round LOSER thinks??????

13. The Word
    6:36 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Gooooo DUKE!!!

14. Duke Sucks
    6:43 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

What really sucks is who ever wins this game WILL win it all! Sure would love to see the Shokers pull a Jimmy V! Just think Duke will be hard to beat they will get EVERY call and be flopping all over the court.

15. Duke Sucks
    6:45 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

OMG just heard DG say Syracuse should have beat UK last year! What a D- bag

16. bpisforuk
    6:46 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

What to hate re: Duke – 1992, K, Wojo, The shot .. Every March!!, JJ, Cameron Crazies, the flops, the calls, the media love, Austin Rivers, Etc. What to hate re: UL – Pitino and fans. F Duke… Will never root for them. Ever !!

17. he says she
    6:53 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

12. Oh… that hurts and is so clever. You think of that all by yourself?

What IS SAD is losing two years in a row in the first round of the tournament everyone WANTS to be in. Remember, UK is still the defending National Champs. When was the last time your team even played in the championship game? Over a quarter century?

18. TheRealHambone
    6:59 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

This is a “no-brainer”… it has to be DUKE all the way. NEVER… I say again, NEVER louisville!!!!

19. Robster
    7:03 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I’ll NEVER pull for uofl, never, never, never, NEVER….

20. CatGrad7072
    7:11 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Wil T., don’t say ‘cream’ in any reference to Fiftino. You know what I mean. Go Duke; anybody but UL.

21. MacGruber
    7:11 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

15. I don’t think we played Syracuse last year.

22. TheDon
    7:11 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Today is a great day. How many days of the year can you guarantee that either UL or Duke will lose? I’m just going to focus on that. I vote for UL, because I hate Duke more and I think Duke would perform much better against Syracuse’s zone, which seems to matter at this point. Although if Duke does win, I think both Florida and Michigan have a good chance to take them down. Duke hasnt matched up well against athleticism in the tournament recently…or 15 seeds for that matter.

23. holler baller
    7:19 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I hope Louisville destroys Duke.

24. blueaville
    7:26 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I work in apparel both sports and corporate. To be fair to UL those shirts were not made by them. They are made by Adidias and are avaliable on a website as shoe companies do for many shirts. They are kind of like cafe press where shirts don’t actually exist unless you order one then it is printed.

I may buy one though just because they are funny.

25. Facial hair
    7:26 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

A line beard and a chin strap are totally different things. Both equally stupid, but different.

26. mudcreekmark
    7:27 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I Googled and found that the 48 Championsip was actually a NAIA tournament that they won and the 56 was the NIT that consisted of 8 teams.

27. SeoulCat
    7:27 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Anybody but our complex-ridden little brother.

28. David
    7:30 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

What the Cards did was count their NAIB(now the NAIA)and NIT Championships. The NAIA tournament is the longest running bball tourney an was started by James Naismith. The NIT was still highly regarded when they won it in ’56. You guys need to read up on the history of the tournaments and understand how the NCAA became the “premier” tournament via threatening and cajoling.

29. Tom Blevins
    7:33 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

The bad news is, one of these teams will go l four. The good news is, one of them will lose. 11. I would have to look it up to be sure, but I think that Louisville won the NAIA in 48 and 56. Which is a sort of national championship, but not as impressive as winning the NIT, especially in ’48 when only 8 teams got to go to the NCAA, and only 8 teams got to go to the NIT.

30. mudcreekmark
    7:34 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

28)I see you know how to Google too!!lol

31. BlueCat
    7:36 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Louisville has 2 national championships 80 & 86. They won the NIT in 56. Not sure what the 48 claim is. St Louis won the NIT and Kentucy won the NCAA. Bottom line 2 National championships.

32. Blue Kudzu
    7:42 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

29 – I think Little Brother should boast their NAIA Championships, a couple more and they can start talking smack to Georgetown College right? As far as the NIT championships,I suppose they need to celebrate their only one, but, how many do we have? Does anyone really care? I hate the air dUKe breathes, and I hope they get a massive beatdowwn.

33. Tom Blevins
    7:54 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

11 and 31, I looked it up. Louisville did win the NAIA in 1948 and the NIT in 1956. I guess calling themselves 4 times National Champions makes them feel more important. I think it’s funny. If Kentucky wanted to go that route, we could call ourselves 11 times national champions. We won the NCAA 8 times, the NIT twice, 1946 and 1976, and the very first SIAA tournament way back in 1921. So far as I know, this was the first post season tournament ever. So Kentucky won the biggest tournament back then. But I think it was a regional tournament, and only member schools of the SIAA were invited, so it probably wouldn’t be accurate to call it a national championship. We can be proud of it for what it was, but I’d rather just say we are 8 time national champions – until next year, when we win #9.

34. Rob
    8:00 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I will not be able to take it if Duke wins it all. I can live with the cards winning.

35. Jake
    8:00 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

To the author – will never understand someone who attended a school but would abhor their sports teams

36. BlueCat
    8:13 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

33- Thanks for that information, I didn’t think to look at NAIA championships. What a joke, Div 1 school claiming that.

37. ukcatfan36
    8:19 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Since it’s impossible for BOTH of them to lose-then it’s gotta be little brother that goes down. No way I can pull for them in ANYTHING. It’s weird because I’ve tried to pull for them on occasion and after a couple of minutes the camera will pan to one of their DORKY fans and it’s all over..GO DEVILS!!

38. Mortimer
    8:25 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

If either Pitiner or K win the tittle this year,

they will have had better four years than Cal

39. Catman
    8:36 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

No way I want to see Puke win. I still have great admiration for what Pitno did at UK and the lose to Duke was under Pitno. F Duke, I hate them worse and go Louisville.

40. mashburnfan1
    8:41 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Pitino did great things for us, got us back to elite and would be a UK god right now had he stayed as our coach all this time. I will root for him over puke anyday. Then I will root for Wichita State to knock them out in Final 4. I love and appreciate what he did for us but still don’t want UL to win a title, just beat puke is as far as it goes for me.

41. Blue Cat
    9:23 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

For years I have been a UK fan and anyone playing against Lousiville and I am not change evan if they are playing PUKE. PUKE will get whooped soon enough. I don’t want to listen to Turdnals until next December when They Get Plucked in Rupp.

42. sons of anarchy
    9:24 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

some of u that are pulling for UL must not know any UL fans. Duke may get a little closer to our title count if they win it all but they still have to win 2 more games to do it. when coach K retires Puke wont win anymore titles for a long time. UL needs to go down now

43. Never duke
    9:56 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Never root for duke. They are not in our state! I’m so sick of seeing that shot.

44. iucansuckabigblue.......
    10:12 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

No Wildcat should ever, ever, ever, ever pull for Loserville nor Indiana. Never. The have not won anything in 27 years and run it like they have every year.

Regretfully : Go pUKe!

Whoever wins tomorrow is stealing the championship in Catlanta.

45. Judy
    10:36 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Not real thrilled to say this but,Go Duke. Now I’ll go vomit.

46. SmartCat
    10:40 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Come on people, show some common sense! Our country is losing common sense and so are you guys. Like Louisville or not, it is completely ignorant not to want a state team to win the NCAA tourney. Rooting for Duke???? Seriously, get a clue. On another note, the writer of this article says he attended Louisville and you are rooting for Duke. That’s even worse since you attended the university. Show some intelligence!

47. jymbo
    10:40 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

No way I can root for Duke. Cards beat Duke then lose in Catlanta.

48. SmartCat
    10:42 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

UK fans say they want the Cards to lose because of the “obnoxious Louisville fans”. Come on. There are many, many, many obnoxious UK fans to match the obnoxious UL fans. You know that’s the truth!

49. TheTruthMan
    10:47 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

UK is irrelevant (especially this year). Who cares who they want to win??

50. Dr. Funke
    10:57 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Wow this is not the reaction I expected from the comments section… I hope UL beats duke by 50 and I hate UL. Do we really want to see rat face win another title?

51. Radio Ron
    11:15 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Regarding all these “National Championships” in basketball, let an oldtimer set the record straight. UK has won TWELVE TITLES!! NCAA in ’48,’49,’51,’58,’78’,96′,98,’ 12′..plus the NIT
    in ’46 and ’76…plus the Helms Foundation titles in 1933 and again in 1954 when the Cats were undefeated with a 25-0 record!

52. Hiko
    12:21 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

I hate Duke even more than the Ville. I’ll be pulling for the LVille.

53. bigbluecoalminer
    2:13 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

bad as I hate to say it I would rather Louisville win rather than duke as much as I hate the ville the hatred fro the dukkies is even worse

54. Matt
    7:31 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Graduated from U of L, die hard UK fan (try putting up w/their fans for 4 years wearing UK gear on campus) and rooting for Duke, sad to say but like many have said UL fans are delusional, 4 Nat’l Titles!! Ha Ha, wanna go that route UK won a Nat’l Championship in football in 1950. UL fans put that in your bong and smoke it!!

55. KG
    8:07 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

I’m in the same camp as those who want dUKe to lose no matter who they are playing. I call them TICSALTSL (teams I can’t stand and love to see lose!): 1.dUKe 2.UNC 3.UConn 4.Kansas 5.Loserville.

I’d much rather see dUKe lose than Loserville since they both can’t go down in that game.

56. KG
    8:12 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

In my Sunday morning stupor before my first cup I accidentially left Indiana off my TICSALTSL, My list should read:1A.dUKe, 1B.Ind.,2.UNC, 3.UCOnn, 4.Kansas, 5.Louisville

57. markp
    8:35 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Laetner’s only bad deed was stomping on Timberlake. Otherwise all this Duke hatred is just plain old insecure BS that BBN has about anybody approaching us in status in college hoops. Face it even if Duke wins the championship, we still have eight titles to their 5. They mave even lose in the final four if they beat U of L.

On the other hand we have Pitino, aka Benedict Arnold and cheating husband. It’s not even close who is more annoying between Duke and U of L. Pitino plus U of L’s ultra annoying fan base makes it easy to pull for Duke.

58. ROBERT MORRIS
    9:19 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

59. TRUE UK Fan
    9:45 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Any UK fan that would pull for loserville over anyone is NOT a true UK fan!!! How many Duke fans do you have to listen to everyday? All the ignorant UL fans running there mouths for 365 days is what you want? Please don’t ever consider yourself a true UK fan if you would pull for loserville against anyone, that includes the united Taliban team coached by Bin laden with assistant Charlie Manson.

60. TRUE UK Fan
    9:50 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

#49 lol typical loserville fan saying that the ALL TIME winningest program in basketball is irrelevant lol

61. TRUE UK Fan
    9:52 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

DUKE. DUKE. DUKE. DUKE. DUKE. Next question please!

62. Beavis
    10:26 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

After listening to the Indiana fans declare themselves National Champs all year,,,,,wasn’t it nice to see them go down in flames. They just set themselves up for the fall. Second on the list,,,,The Tards. Don’t care who beats them,,,just go ahead and lose.

63. bluecat
    11:06 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

ITS NOT ABOUT THE NUMBER OF CHAMPIONSHIPS OR HAVING TO LISTEN TO ANYONE ITS ABOUT THE PAIN FROM 92 THAT CBS AND EVERY OTHER NeTWORK WON’T LET US PUT BEHIND US . I’ll never root for duke no matter who the play. I hate the whole Damon program Past Present and Future GO BIG BLUE

64. UK8UL2
    5:52 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Looks like the Tards took the expression “break a leg” literally rotfl……