Which is better for the Cats: a Tennessee or Alabama win?

123384_web_spt040209anthonygrant
Is that Tyson Beckford?

With Florida currently having their way with poor LSU, it’s time to start focusing on the big game of the afternoon, Tennessee vs. Alabama. With both teams on the bubble, the game has essentially become an NCAA Tournament playoff game. That’s all fine and stressful for them, but what would either scenario mean for the Cats? Let’s break it down.

TENNESSEE WIN

Pros: Nothing good comes from Tennessee (winning).

Cons:

Screen shot 2013-03-15 at 1.28.42 PM

Oh, sorry. Wrong cons.

Tennessee is one of the hottest teams in the conference right now. A win would pretty much push them into the Tournament for good, and give them even more momentum heading into a matchup against Florida in the semifinals. You could argue that if the Vols upset Florida, it might improve Kentucky’s chances of winning the Tournament if they were to advance that far, but at this point, I’d almost rather play Florida than UT.

ALABAMA WIN

Pros: As the first team in Joe Lunardi’s “Next 4 Out,” Alabama’s probably going to need more than just a win over Tennessee to get in. And I’m sorry, I don’t see them upsetting Florida. However, if they did, I’d much rather face them than Tennessee in the finals.

Cons: Anthony Grant goes home.

CONCLUSION: Roll Tide.

32 Comments for Which is better for the Cats: a Tennessee or Alabama win?

1. kevin burton
    3:03 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Would like to revenge that 30pt beat down!

2. Jake_GOCATS
    3:05 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Lol at pictures of players for cons!

3. FinjaDave
    3:07 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

For Mrs TT, an Alabama win would be better purely for aesthetic purposes.

4. Cons!
    3:08 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

The picture of UT’s cons almost made milk come out of my nose!

5. Brad
    3:11 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

We have to beat Vandy first.

6. Jpo
    3:13 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

5. Are you serious or are you just pullin my chain??????

7. Coach Durbin
    3:15 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

I disagree because Tennessee’s RPI is in the 50’s right now. With a win and the bump in SOS from playing Florida, they could crack the top 50 thus giving UK a 3rd top 50 win.

8. Roland
    3:34 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Really want to get back at the inside of the pumpkin boys, but want a UK win tonite 1st.

9. GTFOksrGirls
    3:36 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Can you please stop typing stupid sh*t like “Anthony Grant goes home”? Good f’n God. What percent of readers do you think finds that amusing? You and Ally Tucker need to be strictly limited to 1 post per week. I don’t come here to read posts with the same tone as Cosmo.

10. Roland
    3:37 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Not much from Stallings on the “playing on thurs then sat” whining this year.

11. Roland
    3:38 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Nine has Mommy issues.

12. Chicago Chris
    3:41 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Tennessee. They’re pretty firmly in and not really competing with us if they win. Alabama can make a good case with the win but are currently OUT. It’s all about UK getting in, we’ll worry about revenge and rivalries later.

13. Question
    3:42 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Hey guys, random question. Assuming we win tonight I’m heading to Nashville tomorrow to buy 2 tickets from scalpers. Anybody have any advice on this? I’ve never bought from scalpers before so I don’t know what a decent price would be or what to expect. I’ve heard not to let them know you’re a uk fan.

14. Chicago Chris
    3:43 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Also, UT has a better shot of beating Florida. We would be more motivated to beat UT in the Final (good problem to have) than Florida.

15. Roland
    3:43 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

It is the best time of the year for a college basketball fan and some people want vent they are not happy in life.
    Wrong forum!

16. Chicago Chris
    3:44 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

#9 I think the one with the issue is one who would focus on the racial difference.

17. Chicago Chris
    3:44 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Er, and that goes for #14 too.

18. Roland
    3:52 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

I am going to repeat something I posted in an earlier post and I hope those that have seen it B4 give me some slack.

15, Posted on this site (I think) don’t wear your Blue when approaching scalpers in Nashville. (It marks you for a wallet reaming)

My sources say:

Tepid ticket sales at SEC Tournament tied to Wildcat woes:

and
    “According to ESPN, StubHub said 47 percent of all ticket sales to 2012 SEC tournament games were to fans living in Kentucky. That figure has dropped to 39 percent this year.”

bottom line:

don’t wear UK blue and haggle with a scalper.

19. Musehobo
    3:55 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

5) Sometimes it can be harmful for players to look ahead games. As fans, on a friggin blog, talking about possibilities of outcomes, we can look ahead a game. Get some perspective.

That is…unless you were suggesting that you don’t think we will beat Vandy, and in that case, fine. But just say that next time.

20. lauren
    3:57 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

What channel is the game on tonight? Local?

21. Musehobo
    3:59 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

21) I’m a bit confused. While I completely agree its probably best not to wear blue when haggling with scalpers, I’m not sure what the two articles about there being less UK fans here this year have to do with that. Am I missing something? Are you saying since there are less UK fans, scalpers will be more difficult with UK fans than usual? Isn’t it always a bad idea for us to wear blue at that time? Not criticizing you, just confused.

22. Scott
    4:00 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Lets beat Vandy and then worry about next game opponent.

23. Roland
    4:02 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

If there are MORE tickets available, Lower prices.

simple: supply v demand.

24. Roland
    4:03 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

22, AMEN!

25. bosshog
    4:04 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Geez, no better sign of how far we’ve fallen this year than for one of our own to be worried about playing UT….oh how we all hope that next year’s crop will restore order!

26. Roland
    4:07 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

As much as I HATE ut, they are playing Team ball so far in this tourney.

Live for today for tomorrow may never come.

27. Noel
    4:16 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

I’m pulling for UT to win and here’s why. UT is currently in the same boat as UK as one of the last teams in. Alabama is behind both of us right now and a loss today would 100% knock Alabama out of making the NCAA tourney. I think that is more important to keep Alabama from passing us than it is for UT to lose.

Here’s my hypothetical:

Lets say UT and UK both lose today…..that puts UT/UK in a tough spot on the bubble and it brings a team like Alabama into the mix to pass us up. We need all of the teams that are currently considered to be OUT to stay that way.

28. Mattcat68
    4:53 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

I’m pretty sure win or lose, UT is in. A Bama win would only put another team on the last 4 in list to compete with UK. Go UT!!!!

29. RealCatsFan
    5:30 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

Looks like TT’s fantasy is coming true! 🙂

30. Stuck on Blue
    6:39 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

#9)GTFOksrGirls – Can you please stop typing stupid sh*t? If you don’t like it, why don’t you GTFO?

31. The Bank is Open
    6:39 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

It’ll be a shame when Anthony Grant (the most overrated coach in the country arguably) gets canned after missing too many NCAA tournaments. Seriously, you would think the guy has made 5 of the last 6 sweet sixteens. No, he’s about to miss the NCAA tournament for the third time of the four years he’s been here. And it’s not like Alabama was in a mess when he took the job.

32. Brad
    8:35 pm March 15, 2013 Permalink

#6 and #19 what did you say again? I did play and you should never under estimate your opponent. I guess you can see that when its tournament time. Like I said earlier you have to win the game your playing in first before you can advance. We can speculate all day but its a waste of talk and time if you don’t have the” W “first.
    Anyone can win on any given night. Next time think before you speak about my comments.