Where Would You Want To See Billy G?

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!”  -Billy Gillispie

It seems as though the Bill-Go-Round for Clyde will be a yearly event at this point, at least until someone bites the bullet and hires the former UK Coach.  His name has been mentioned with numerous job openings this season, and a slew of facebook groups have popped up in attempts to bring him to their schools – likely done by people who haven’t spent a single second researching Ol’ Clyde (“He likes Dr. Pepper and Peanut Butter Crackers!”)  With Gillispie making public appearances at basketball games – he was at Nebraska-Oklahoma last night – it looks like BCG may be flirting back.

So how about it UK fans, do you want to see Billy back in college basketball? Where would you want to see him?  Would you be okay with him coaching in the SEC?  What about at, say, Tennessee?  What’s the line for you?

Personally I think he should have a second chance (though I shy away from saying he ‘deserves’ one.)  I do think he is a good coach – in the right environment – and if he can keep his act together and cut out some of the more extreme ‘mind games’ he plays with his players, I’d like to see him succeed.

In an unrelated note – check out the radio show from early today if you missed it. They cover the NBA in Louisville talk, the Vandy/Georgia game, The Truth’s university, and they educate you on how to do a proper ‘fake’ phone call. Again.

Article written by Will Lentz

51 Comments for Where Would You Want To See Billy G?

1. donahue52
    8:08 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

whats wrong with hour 1. where is it

2. SexnNursinHomes
    8:09 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Lentz, that’s a bad question.

3. oh napier jr.
    8:13 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Hell.

4. Late As Usual
    8:15 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Nowhere

5. Anthony
    8:15 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Agrees with Donahue. Hour number 1 on 2-17 is from yesterday’s show. Hour #2 though is from today. I clicked some of the other dates to see if it was maybe posted there, but it’s not. Hope you all can get the problem fixed when you get the time.

6. Late As Usual
    8:16 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Louisville would be nice

7. echo 1
    8:16 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

He is a bad guy, period. No, I don’t wish success for him. Not even a little. Does he deserve a second shot? I am with you Lentz. I don’t like the term, ‘deserve’. It reeks of entitlement. That being said, if the someone hires him, that is fine. It is their right to do so. We are still free (kinda). I won’t, however, wish him success. He won’t do well at a major program in my opinion. He needs a job similar to Miami(OH), Tulsa, or Louisville. You know, smaller programs.

8. BPsycho
    8:17 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I want to see him somehow make it to a final 4 “still completely crazy drunk” and then Hollywood makes it into a movie, and Billy G is played brilliantly by Mickey Rourke.

*but in the movie Billy strangles people to death at bars, and gets away with it.

9. GoCats2
    8:19 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

#2 that is the funniest comment you have ever had that was not rated NC-17.
    No matter where he goes he should be forced to play a game in RUPP where he spends the entire game in a bathroom stall.

10. Karen_Sypher's_Miniskirt
    8:21 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I want Billy right here with me in Louisville.

11. the_donger
    8:22 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I would LOVE to see him in the SEC. That way, KY could pound on him at regular intervals.

12. oldkentucky
    8:22 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I hope he gets a job and I hope he does well.

13. echo 1
    8:23 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

10 – Sadly, I didn’t get his comment at first. That was quite funny and family friendly. Don’t expect it to last. Dude is messed up, but in an awesome way.

14. Mike Hamilton
    8:42 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

BCG will be in Knoxville later this summer after the NCAA hammers Pearl. We plan to recruit during the day and golf at night. UT will right the ship. Go vols!

15. swampbreath
    8:44 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

anywhere but lexington

16. shizzfizz
    8:47 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I would like to not see him mentioned on this site anymore. Does that answer your question?

17. Eric B.
    8:51 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I live in Ames, IA, and was really hoping he would land at Iowa State last year. I’m pretty sure the place I go for wings would have been the bar that he would have hung out at.

18. UKhoopshysteria
    8:57 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I don’t care what people say about him being a good coach. Anybody who starts Coury and falls in love with Porter at the point is not in their right mind. Maybe he knows x’s and o’s but he don’t know the jmmy and joes. Social sdrowkcab.
    At Kentucky you have to be almost like a politician coaching the Commonwealth, he was genuinely disengaged.

19. Cat Fan
    8:57 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I would like to see him get a respectable job. What is the difference between Coach Cal yelling at kids and Billy G yelling at kids? Besides the winning part? Putting a player in a shower is not a mortal sin- if you played high school ball there are all sorts of similar things going on. And “that’s a stupid question” remarks are no reason to wish ill upon a guy. Give him a break- he wasn’t the right fit for UK, but he wasn’t the anti-Christ either. Best of luck to him in whatever endeavors he takes on.

20. bluetexan
    9:02 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Where would I like to see him go?
    Hell.

21. Yeah_Buddy
    9:08 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Wyoming! It would be the perfect place for him to come back for 2-3 years. Laramie is a lot like Texas and there is no pressure, but a pretty competitive league. 2-3 years there, and then a top 20 job.

22. spencercatfan
    9:13 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Maybe Billy G and Sypher could get married and he could coach at “Oral” Roberts!

23. Lester Ballard
    9:15 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Eddie Sutton went on from his boozing at UK to coach at Oklahoma St. Where he kept on drinking but you’d have to living there. Billy Clyde can do the same in Laramie Wyoming. Hell, there’d be no shortage of drink there. And he could do just about anything because nobody would be paying any mind. I guess he’d thrive at the altitude and wind. I see him coaching at University of Wyoming. It’s a perfect fit.

24. UKBIgDaddy
    9:28 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Hour number is still screwed up. Please fix it.

25. bluetexan
    9:28 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

#26-You’re so correct…I lived there (OK) and Eddie didn’t stop drinking until he finally was in a DUI accident on the way to the team plane. Castiglione (OK AD) is too smart and will do his due diligence (unlike Barnfart) and will stay away from BCG (BCG Tulsa driving ‘issue’). TxTech – who knows? He had an El Paso driving ‘issue’ also. Wherever he’s hired…they need to hire a driver for him. Sad. But, he’s had numerous second chances.

26. UKBIgDaddy
    9:29 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Hour number 1 that is…

27. Thameltoe
    9:36 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Agree with 17. As long as he’s not at UK, he can go wherever

28. Billy Clyde Sinise
    9:43 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I think Billy G. Should go back to acting jobs such as CSI or Forrest Gump. Maybe he can co-star in the next season of Dexter.

29. Tenn. is A.holes
    9:55 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

coaching in the SEC would be nice for him. Since he can’t win there.

30. Billy's X
    9:58 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I’d like to see Billy end up the same place they put the Sky Cam, somewhere I’ll never see either one of them ever again.

31. James
    10:16 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Seems like a Dukie to me

32. Hour #1
    10:22 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

Has anyone seen me? I am sure Matt Jones will blame it on ClearChannel, HA HA!!!!

33. Bill Curry
    10:22 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

#21–Clyde is that you?

34. Anthony
    10:34 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

LOL @ 37. Could be, or some dirty bird fan.

35. cats7
    10:52 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

21) you are a dumbass!

36. STEVE!
    11:44 pm February 17, 2011 Permalink

I still wonder what happen to the 1st Year Billy Gillispie; the guy that drove Patterson home and told him he loved him after his friends were killed in the auto accident; the guy that cried at Dance Blue and pledged $10,000 on the spot; the guy that stayed in the locker room after halftime with Ramon Harris after his neck injury; the guy that probably got the maximum possible out of what he had to work with and was named SEC Coach of the Year; the guy that got Joe Crawford to finally play to his potential; the guy that started 16-4 his second season. What happened to that guy?

37. HackRichards
    5:38 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I do not realy care one wy or the other…He sowed his seed and now is reaping the weeds.

38. Roach K
    8:12 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I hear they are remaking The Stand. He could reprise his role.

39. therealbacon
    8:39 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I like 17. I’d love to see the trouble he would get in elsewhere. As long as he is’nt in lexington.

40. Daggumit Larry
    8:46 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I would love to see Billy become an assistant coach under Tubby. Seriously, think about it. Billy could recruit the players and Tubby could coach them.

41. charles
    9:21 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I do not care where he coaches. Would not let my son play for him. If he treated by son like the players at UK. He would have to deal with me and it would not be pretty. He would get a ass kicking one way or another

42. bluesince66
    9:23 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I really don’t know what I think about this. I do think a major part of what happend to the first year BCG was Mr. Keightly passing away, he was one of the few people Clyde would listen to.

43. bluetooth
    9:24 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

2 i laughed so hard my bowels moved ! a place for bcg .. Gardner Webb

44. BPM
    9:33 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I would never hire a coach that is so ignorant of the rules of the game that he instructs a player to block a free throw – good X’s and O’s my ass

45. KYBLUE
    9:39 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

46 you better hope Matt Jones doesnt see that post! I said the same thing about 2 years ago and got blasted by Matt. Dont disagree with anything he says either.

46. Lou eaton
    10:13 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Clyde actually wasn’t that bad (as a coach) considering what he inherited from tubby. He was coach of the year his first year in the SEC. He had some personal problems but he can coach as witnessed by beating Pitino the year before. We will see this guy again someday…

47. floydfan
    10:35 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I think he is the weakest, most one-dimensional coach I’ve ever seen in college. At the Ole Miss game his last year I had an experienced gentleman tell me, “There’s got to be a hundred guys coaching high school ball in Kentucky that can do a better job than that son of a bitch!” I couldn’t agree more. He is an alcoholic, a jackass, a bully, and a piss poor coach. That is a REALLY bad combo and any school that hires him deserves to have all the same problems we had.

48. T. White
    10:54 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Milwaukee Brewers

49. RK Oates
    12:42 pm February 18, 2011 Permalink

Learned years ago….can’t change girl friends, can’t change people ….he’s a drunk.

50. sunnycat
    1:21 pm February 18, 2011 Permalink

50 He inherited Patterson, Bradley and Crawford his first year. Patterson and Meeks his second year. He is a piss poor coach. Meeks is on fire in knoxville and he tells him to quit sooting and threatens to kick him off the team. BCG is horrible coach. I wish any scholl that hires him the worst of luck.

51. sunnycat
    1:22 pm February 18, 2011 Permalink

BCG done the same things at Tulsa and A&M. They werent used to winning so they put up with it.