Where To Watch Cats When Out & About

ukglobe

More or less, what the globe actually looks like

You know the feeling. It’s March, and work beckons you away from the Commonwealth. Or maybe your wife scheduled a family vacation during the SEC tournament and you find yourself miles away from your local haunts. Possibly, you had to go abroad to make a large cocaine deal in Columbia using the money that Charlie Sheen gave you to refill up his stockpile. However it happens, the bottom line is this; Sometimes, you will be in a different city or town when the Cats take the court.

This article from the Herald-Leader (not from that guy pretending to be NJT) tackles the issue of looking for a place to watch the game with fellow fans around the country/world. Several states are covered, with locations ranging from California, Florida, Georgia, New York, Nevada, Illinois, Ohio, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Washington D.C., and even as far as the Philippines (most are mentioned on the second page of the article). Within this past winter, I have visited Steamer’s in South Carolina and a buddy of mine has ventured to Grevey’s in D.C before checking out John Wall play. Both get great reviews from us for both food and atmosphere.

Meeting new friends when you are out and about can be an especially fun experience when those friends happen to be the type who will high five you after every Jorts rebound. The ability of the Big Blue Nation to extend its network in such a vast manner as to have meeting places across the globe shows the never-ending passion of our fan base. Here’s to hoping all the UK fans, as well as Matt & Co.,  give those Atlanta places their business when the SEC tournament is underway.

Article written by Chris Thomas

50 Comments for Where To Watch Cats When Out & About

1. Don
    4:08 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Per todays updated information:

RPI Rank: 12 SOS Rank: 10 Record: 21-8 (9-6)

2. Capnmonkey
    4:10 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Does Steamer’s have a Kentucky Hot Brown?

3. Islander
    4:18 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Captain Woody’s, not far from Steamers, is also very KY friendly. I think the owners are UK grads.

4. The Real Pioneer
    4:22 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I AM THINKING THE BEST SPOT WOULD BE DICKMAN’S WHERE I CAN ENJOY A NICE TASTY BURGER AND QUITE POSSIBLY BE GIVING HIGH FIVES TO TROY MCKINLEY EVER TIME JORTS GRABS ONE OF HIS OFFENSIVE BOARDS!!!

5. Lloyd Christmas
    4:23 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

WE LANDED ON THE MOON !

6. Sigler
    4:25 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Grevey’s in Washington DC is one of the best places to go period. Big Blue turns out well. I have watched several games there, both basketball and football, and had amazing times. I felt right at home, and actually ran into several high school friends that i havent seen since high school. GO BIG BLUE!!

7. paducahmandan
    4:25 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Anybody know anywhere in SW Missouri

8. Troy McKinley
    4:26 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I BUY ROUNDS OF DRINKS WHEN PEOPLE GREET ME WITH MY STATS >>> TRUE FANS DO !

9. Al's IndiCats
    4:26 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

No fans follow like “THE CAT FANS”……ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!
    LOL 4 That would mean jorts would have what, about 35 boards per game? The best place I ever had Kentucky Brown is the lodge at Rough River. Melted in your mouth!

10. bottom of a bottle of bourbon
    4:28 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

i find the only place i won’t get thrown out of is my own living room … bonus is that i don’t have to drive home in my condition

11. UKfaninPA
    4:28 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

People in the Philippines love UK and basketball in general. It’s awesome.

12. barn
    4:32 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

been to cap’n woody’s and steamers. met a server at steamer’s who said he was a UK student who came there to work one summer several years ago and never left. even found evidence of UK fans on autographed dollar bills out on daufuskie island at marshside mama’s. we’re everywhere. i hate tennessee

13. SUPREMECATS
    4:32 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I’m here in chicago, been here for past five years and only recently went to The Pony (because I usually like to focus and watch the game at home), but I’ll tell ya, I was amazed at our turnout there. Couldn’t even walk in there amongst all the blue. Felt great, tho I still prefer to zone out at home, lol.

14. Cats in Miami
    4:35 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Great post! I moved to Miami about 2 years ago and I figured I would run into several cats fans. Alas, I have been very disappointed with UK support in South Florida. The Herald article mentions Palm Beach, but that is too far for Miamians to drive for a game. So, I started a little blog to keep people up to date on where me and the small group of Cats fans I have met are watching the games. To all of you in Miami, check out the blog below to see where we’re watching next:

15. choices
    4:37 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

you can get with this…or you can get with that…do-da-dippity

16. DT in DC
    4:37 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I’ve been going to Grevey’s since I moved to DC in 1999. The place absolutely cannot be beat. It’s particularly awesome when Kevin Grevey is there and will sit and have a beer with us while the game is on.

17. ST. Louis?
    4:38 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I’ll be downtown St. Louis during opening weekend of the NCAA’s. Does anyone know of any UK friendly bars downtown I could watch the game?

18. Need tickets?
    4:39 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Need SEC tourney tickets? Email [email protected]

19. not rush limbaugh
    4:45 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Me and my friends always go to Buddy’s in lexington. they sell ky ale for $1 and have a killer burger

20. ChairmanRowe
    4:46 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Anyone know a place in Denver where fellow UK alum gather? I assumed that the Kentucky Inn would be a logical choice, but I guess not.

21. MarineJeff
    4:56 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Is Steamers in Hilton Head or Bluffton? Capt Woody’s is in Bluffton.

22. Jkwoftw
    5:00 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Any Nashville cats out there with good recommendations? I’d really appreciate it.. visiting during SEC T

23. KA
    5:07 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Hey Chariman, we gather at the College Inn off 8th street, a few blocks east of Colorado Blvd. Come hang out, it’s a fun group.

24. KA
    5:08 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

ChairmanRowe: P.S. http://www.ukdenver.com/

25. bigblue84
    5:08 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

21. Pretty sure steamer’s is in Port Royal. I used to be stationed in Beaufort and went there several times. Great place!

26. ihaveapetwildcat
    5:12 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I am in Spain right now and the thing I miss the most is getting to watch the CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank god for KSR

27. MarineJeff
    5:12 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

25. Thanks. Currently stationed at Parris Island. There is a Steamer’s on Lady’s Island, but I think there are several throughout the area. I asked the question because 3 said Steamers was close to Capt Woody’s and the article gave the address as Hilton Head.

28. MarineJeff
    5:16 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

By the way, Zeke’s is a great place to watch a game if you are in NORCAL. I used to go there all the time when I was stationed in Alameda. Saw the Mike Davis head slap sitting next to the only Indiana fans brave enough to wander into a UK ball.

29. MarineJeff
    5:17 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Bar not ball.

30. Ms. Tyler Thompson
    5:27 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

22-The Crow’s Nest in Green Hills is where the alumni group meets. I definitely recommend it. If you’re downtown, try Bailey’s.
    In NYC, Jack Dempsey’s is hard to beat. Went into the city during a layover at Newark last Friday and was treated like a princess. Free drinks, food, KY t-shirts, the works.

31. bigblue84
    5:28 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

LOL. I was stationed at MCAS Beaufort for almost 4 years. I know the area pretty well,
    and you’re right, it’s Lady’s Island. It’s been almost 3 years since I’ve lived there.
    So how long have you been in? Some days I miss the heck out of the Corps, and some days I don’t. LOL

32. ChemCat
    5:36 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

My best friend watched the Cats beat the Gators at Grevey’s with Kevin Grevey. He said the place is great.

33. AUbleedblue
    5:38 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Down in Raleigh/Durham area there is also a large contingent of BBN that get together at Blinco’s off Glenwood Ave in N. Raleigh. Talk about in the middle of enemy territory.

34. FlaCatFan
    5:42 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Haven’t read the H-L article for gamewatch location but if you’re in the Orlando area: Buffalo Wild Wings in Cassellberry on SR 436 and Redbug Rd. We had 75 KY fans last Saturday for the Florida game! Go ‘Cats

35. Jkwoftw
    5:45 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

thanks Tyler.

36. Charlie Sheen
    5:47 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

If you come to Jack Demsey’s in NYC be ready for lots of free bourbon – especially when the Cats are #WINNING!

37. InternationalCatFanofMystery
    5:49 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Anyone know where to watch the game from London, England?

38. I know
    6:03 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Steamer’s is at Forest beach, and there are Woody’s at Palmetto Bay Marina and Bluffton. The Woody’s at Palmetto has a UK shrine and one big TV that constantly shows UK sports.

39. encephalo
    6:08 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

channelsurfing.net doesnt exist anymore so thats a bummer for out of towners

40. Gato Salvaje
    6:11 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

#26 – You know about espn3.com, right? If your internet speed is fast enough, espn3 shows all the UK games that are on espn, espn2 and abc, and most of the games that have been on the SEC network – I live in D.C. now and that’s how I catch many of the SEC games that aren’t nationally televised. The NCAA tourney games are on CBS/TNT/TBS this year – I heard that in recent years, you could watch all the NCAA games online. By the way, I lived in Madrid in 1996 and watched UK in the final four at 2 am at a bar that had Canal Plus (which showed the 3 final four games live) – I don’t know who would have the rights in Spain to the NCAA games now but I’d bet you can find the final four games at least.

41. Gato Salvaje
    6:16 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

#26 – I just remembered that you can only access espn3.com if your internet provider allows it. And CBS.com may not work either unless you are in the US – I’ve never tried it abroad.

42. bob
    6:58 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

really cool to see all the cat fans helping each other out, go cats

43. CharimanRowe
    7:12 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

@KA (23-24) Thanks for the info

44. jimi
    7:49 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

For those on the road but with internet access, bookmark this site:

This guy streams ALL the UK games.

You will thank me later.

45. Ash Mason
    8:22 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Marine Jeff, thanks for the props, and your service! Anyone (unless you like Bruce Pearl or U of Smell, or..) in the Bay Area is welcome to join us at Zeke’s in SF, 600 3rd St. Come thirsty and be ready to “hoot and holler”. Yeah, we do that here too. GO BIG BLUE

46. QUICKIE RICKEY
    8:40 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I perfer to watch my cayts at PORCINI’S on Frankfort Ave. in loservile. The beer there has good head on it. So does booth #15

47. Secretariat
    10:09 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Chicago needs somewhere more than The Pony Inn. Kansas has 4 bars in town that I know of, all at least twice the size of The Pony, some with dedicated rooms that hold 150-200 people, that are all packed on gameday. My Kansas friends all laugh at our pitiful representation up here.

48. VELUX skylights
    4:46 am March 4, 2011 Permalink

hey there and thank you for your information — I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but slow loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

49. MarineJeff
    7:06 am March 4, 2011 Permalink

31. Almost 25 years. I am a 86 UK grad, joined the Marine Corps immediately after graduation and have been having a ball ever since. I have watched UK basketball all over the world. When I was in Iraq, the Sports Information folks would send me DVD’s of the games. I was able to watch Patrick Sparks beat UL with the free throws on Armed Forces Television. Great times!

50. MarineJeff
    7:27 am March 4, 2011 Permalink

Thanks 38. We (wife and I, also UK grad and my son who will attend UK next fall) may see you there.