Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Where the Increase in Scoring is Coming From

200_s

Have fun with this. I’m a complete nerd when it comes to advanced stats in basketball. I love them. I think they tell a lot about the game. Well, last week I talked about how through the first week in college basketball the rule changes were playing a role in the game.

Well, now over at KPI Sports I found even more indepth details about where the scoring is coming from. Here are the quick hitters. Scoring is up 5.46 points per team (about eight percent) but only 2.5% points per possession. 68 percent of the scoring increase is due to the increased pace of play, while the remaining 32 percent is increased offensive efficiency. 83 percent of the increased scoring is coming from made field goals, while a shockingly low number of 17 percent is from free throws.

Defensively blocks, steals and turnovers are all down, which says the freedom of movement campaign is actually working.

I know that’s a lot of numbers, but overall it shows college basketball is doing what it’s set out to do, which is clean the game up. Sure, it can seem annoying with the free throws, but really it’s more just playing the game that has bumped the scoring up.

Article written by Bobby Reagan

One time representative of UK at SEC 3v3 basketball championships. Northern Yankee living the Kentucky dream. Follow me @uklefty22