Where are Billy’s guys now?

This is a reader submission from John Rolf, who tracked down all of Billy Gillispie’s recruits to see where Kentucky would stand had Clyde not gone out the door. Enjoy…

**********************

Remember when BG was offering scholarships to 8th, 9th, and 10th graders while at UK?  Ever wonder what happened to those players?  I tracked those players from the past.

Would be juniors this year:

GJ Vilarino verbal to Billy Gillispie; de-committed after Calipari hire  (McKinney HS, McKinney, TX; ends up at Gonzaga; transfers to (and currently at) Appalachian St)

Konner Tucker verbal to Billy Gillispie; de-committed after Calipari hire (Paschal HS, Fort Worth, TX; Lon Morris JC, Jacksonville, TX; ends up at Wake Forest; transfers to (and currently at) Sam Houston St)

Would be sophomores this year:

Dakotah Euton verbal to Billy Gillispie; de-committed after Calipari hire  (Scott Co HS, Georgetown, KY; Rose Hill Christian HS, Ashland, KY; ends up at Akron; transfers to (and currently at) Asbury Univ (NAIA) spring ‘11)

K.C. Ross-Miller verbal to Billy Gillispie (God’s Academy, Desoto HS, Desoto, TX; ends up at LSU, academically ineligible for 2010-11 — high school transcript didn’t pass NCAA Clearinghouse; plays 2010-11 season at Univ of New Orleans (Div III), then transfers to (and currently at) New Mexico State; enters 2011-12 season as a soph)

Dominique Ferguson verbal to Billy Gillispie; reopened his recruitment after Calipari hire (Lawrence North HS, Indianapolis, IN; ends up at Florida International U)

Would be freshman this year:

Vinny Zollo verbal to Billy Gillispie as an 9th grader; reopened his recruitment after Calipari hire (George Rogers Clark HS, Winchester, KY; ends up at WKU)

Would be freshman NEXT year:

Michael Avery verbal to Billy Gillispie as an 8th grader; de-committed after Calipari hire (Crespi HS, Encino, CA; commits to Sonoma State (Div II).  Avery sat out his high school junior season after returning to Crespi HS following a transfer to Montverde Academy in Florida)

So, seven players total, at Appalachian St, Sam Houston St, Asbury U (NAIA), New Mexico St, Florida International, WKU and Sonoma St (Div II) .. wow!

Absolutely STAGGERING, considering the elite-level players Calipari has brought in the last three years.

Article written by Drew Franklin

105 Comments for Where are Billy’s guys now?

1. scott
    8:05 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Perfect pic for article

2. Oops
    8:06 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

My gawd, bcg IS a boob.

Hell, anyone could recruit to UK better than that, ANYONE.

3. Bruce
    8:06 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

“Staggering” just about sums it up… We would have been last in the SEC East this year with that lineup.

4. Hello
    8:07 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Good God that is embarrassing

5. Oops
    8:08 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

#1 – bcg only really had 2 looks, this one… and… the mug shot look.

6. Old Henry Man
    8:08 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Just think if Mitch would have hired Cal when he hired Billy Clyde. Derrick Rose a CAT!!!!
    Forget about Billy Clyde, he appears to be in trouble at Tech.

7. High Point Cat Fan
    8:09 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Mind-Boggling!!!

8. Brent
    8:11 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

That is seriously scary. It’s almost like he was intentionally trying to sabatoge us.

9. Bruce
    8:12 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

6–no, the time for Cal was perfect. We would have had a vacated Final Four if MB had hired Cal after Tubby.

10. Ben
    8:13 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Wasn’t Trae Golden a Billy Verbal also?

11. Carlos the Boozer
    8:17 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

I’d bet these young men are tough. Love pop-tarts and Dr. pepper!

12. Urincatland
    8:17 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

#8 I really think he was. That man should have never been hired at UK. Just think if that goof was still here. Heck we couldn’t beat a jr college team. Thank God for Coach Cal for getting his mess cleaned up and now we’re back at the elite status where we belong. Go Cats!!

13. Billy G works for Beer
    8:19 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Mitch almost lost his job over that idiot!!

14. Ulfdog
    8:19 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

This is fvucked up. My mind is blown.

15. Old Henry Man
    8:20 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Starting lineup:
    Miller
    Orton
    Hood, but out
    KC Miller
    Zollo

I think Darius would have been all SEC, but I do not see many wins.

16. Bumpy
    8:20 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

I feel like ksr talks about this every week on the radio….I could care less where they are, the recruiting was so bad then I didn’t even know who we had coming in

17. #Rise
    8:22 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Also shows recruits don’t give a squat about a schools tradition. It’s about the coach, system and playing time. It’s sad but true. With that said, thank god we have Cal

18. mdd34
    8:23 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

What a joke. Cal was waiting on the phone call and instead they got that clown.

19. Chuck
    8:27 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Getting rid of bcg is like averting a nuclear holocaust. UK would basically be Berea College if he was still around.

20. duhville cat
    8:28 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Billy who?

21. bluebiscuit
    8:30 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

15, I don’t think Darius would have stayed around to be in that lineup. And Orton might have left just as he did under Cal. So, that leaves KC Miller, Zollo, and a few kids from the Parks and Rec league.

22. John Sebastian
    8:34 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

And the funny thing about those guys is people were excited about them coming to Kentucky.

23. Dragonophile
    8:36 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

I don’t remember who recruited him, but at one point we were close to getting Draymond Green now at MSU. Wish we would have snagged him.

24. mores
    8:36 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

The Horror. The Horror.

Posts like this make me think you have a side deal with the bourbon industry. ALL OF IT. Because I feel a sudden need to drink every barrel in the bluegrass.

25. mores
    8:37 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

#23 he was a Tubby commit, I think at the very end of Tubby’s tenure. IIRC, he was a 3* at the time he committed, rose to 4* when the rankings were finalized.

26. memphiswildcat
    8:38 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

#9 Bruce – We have a winner! As much as I would have liked to have Cal a couple of more years,it was not the time when BCG came. Cal is a better coach at uk than he was at Memphis. I watched him for 9 years here and he has improved with age….

27. kywildcat
    8:40 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Good god

28. YoYoMa
    8:41 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Amazing to look back at this link now…

29. De
    8:41 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

We did have green, tubby had him. Then decomitted.

30. Musehobo
    8:43 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

17) That logic doesn’t work. Wouldn’t explain why Cal is able to recruit here better than Memphis. I will admit it’s more about the coach, but it helps to have a school with tradition….not to mention a killer fanbase. Billy G was just that bad….and over confident.

31. Carlos the Boozer
    8:44 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Clyde, had the studs lined up. We were headin in the right direction.

32. Computer Blue
    8:44 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Billy was too busy diddling coeds to recruit.

33. YoYoMa
    8:45 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

34. kywildcat
    8:48 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Stunning

35. Big Blue 66
    8:48 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

13. Mitch shouldnve been fired over that hire

36. Mr. Ready
    8:51 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Those were some tough seasons. I don’t think Liggins or Josh would have gained the confidence they needed either. I didn’t even watch or listen to the nit games- absolutely disgraceful. It almost seemed like he enjoyed us “getting our tales whipped.”

37. TN Cat
    8:53 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

#28, it’s crazy to look back at the comments during that time. Wow!

38. kylucky
    8:54 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

BCG was an unmitigated disaster. He was, and still is. I give Mitch a lot of credit for firing him very quickly.

39. hunter mcclintock
    8:55 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Remember me? Check out the sweet D2 school I landed at…http://www.lrbears.com/profile.asp?playerID=1042

40. MKG fan
    8:55 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Hindsight is 20/20, but BCG was worth about 22k a year. What did we pay him?

41. tangledupinblue
    8:55 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

I doubt that Tubby would have been much better . His recruiting was getting worse over time .

42. Howard_stern
    9:00 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Gilispie is Pig Vomit

43. YoYoMa
    9:00 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Here are Konner Tucker comments. My favorite:

I’m Just Sayin Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

107 I’m sure this kid will be fine. But to be honest we need a blockbuster right now and John Wall isn’t walking thru that door.

44. Bob
    9:01 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Still remember the reception BCG got when he got here. We wanted to believe he would take us back to the promised land. Instead he took us straight to hell.

45. Truth
    9:05 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

If he had WWW buying him players, he would still be at UK.

46. What the #$*@
    9:10 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Billy Clyde is like that midget in the oven…if he ever came out, he was gonna F’ck $hit up big time. Luckily, UK only peeked in and saw something was horribly wrong and shipped that oven far away.

47. Big Blue 66
    9:12 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

45. really, I mean we have never heard that before….c mon, at least come up with something different

48. Carlos (It Is Not A) Toomer
    9:12 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

That coach was hand picked and hired by Mitch Barnhart. Thank God he let someone else lead the next search under his tenure.

49. hersheyisabear
    9:13 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

I remember when everyone was jizzing their pants when BCG came… I did not jizz my pants.

50. cal's blue balls
    9:14 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

#28 smh at them thinking he was god in 2008

51. Conservative Cat
    9:19 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Had he stayed, Clyde would have done to Kentucky basketball what Obama has done to the US economy. Hopefully Obama will join on the ash heap of history where Clyde resides. They could have their own beer summitt.

52. Rich
    9:20 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

That lineup is harder to believe possible than the current top 7 we have now!That is the definition of extremes.

53. Lt. Dan
    9:32 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

At least they would have been tough.

54. Drunken Midnight Golf
    9:33 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

I am ashamed to think about his tenure here. Cal is everything BCG wasn’t. IN CAL WE TRUST.

55. Hoops Malone
    9:34 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Left out Daniel Orton.

56. hookem
    9:34 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Did they commit to (all in bold) “Billy Gillispie,” or the University of Kentucky?

57. #28 FTW
    9:35 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Haha #28, nice link. I think these are my favorites:

“I’ve read articles that compare him to Dan Issel, Man I Hope these people who watch and write about him being another Dan Issel are true!!”

“I’ve watched UK Basketball for years and I’m sure I’m older than many on this website , My main point for saying that is because Billy Gillispie is just flat impressing me as a recruiter and coach…Yet he’s not coached one game for our UK Wildcats yet!!

I LOVE this workaholic guy !! Billy G you are one devoted man to the sport Kentuckians love the most ! KY Wildcat basketball is ALIVE Again !”

“It’s great that these in-states are starting to come to UK so early and with such confidence. This is a blue-breeded kid that loves the cats and I think will bring some heart to the future team. I was at the KY-Indiana game and it’s one thing to see the KY kids lose but another to see them play flat and unmotivated. I think the future is looking better on the horizom though.
    Also- Billy Clyde in ten years will be around 250 wins, 3 final fours, two national championships, 7 sec champs, and 6 sec tourney champs. Also a 10-0 record against the Cards!”

58. The Tain't
    9:35 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Wow! I remember when he came to UK and how I thought basketball was fun again. Of course, our standards had slowly been lowered.

59. CatlantaBlue
    9:41 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Listen to me!!!! Stop making us look at that guy!

60. Rixter
    9:42 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

During the interview process, there HAD to be something that MB picked up on that made him wonder if BCG was the right hire.. don’t you think?
    I mean, didn’t they talk to former employers, former players, former assistants? And every one of these guys looked Mitch in the face and said ‘yes, Billy Gillispie is a great coach, a great mentor, a great human being’???

WOW

61. tom5673
    9:43 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

i’ve said this a bunch on this site. gillispie was an absolute turd on/off the court. clearly not the man for this high-profile job. BUT, please don’t forget that tubby’s last few teams were so bad (orbzut, alleyne, sheray, bobby perry, stockton, porter, adam williams, morinkinyo williams, jared carter, etc.) that it made it next to impossible to land any top recruits. our program had been run into the ground, kentucky was simply not on the radar of any 5-star recruits. at least gillispie sealed the deal with patterson and recruited miller, liggins and harrelson. he also landed alex legion (a big recruit at the time) before his mother turned into a prophet and thought her son should transfer. i’m not defending billy g.’s actions while he was here, but don’t ever forget how tubby destroyed this program and took it from literally the top of the mountain to complete mediocrity at best.

62. Duke sucks
    9:44 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Just think tubby had jasper,courty,and my lest favorite of all mike porter we tubbys last three years and BCG we really have went from outhouse to penthouse

63. bigbluedude
    9:44 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

51.you mean watch the dow soar above 13000? or watch GM post record profits and become the worlds biggest carmaker again? i could go on, but im sure you dont want to hear anymore TRUTHS

64. Billy Clyde
    9:45 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Cal didn’t recruit much better during his first 5 years at Memphis. He has 4 NIT’s to prove it. I should have hired Milt Wagner and then been introduced to his friend, Wes. Then no one would know I was a fraud.

65. Ares
    9:45 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Lesson don’t ever ever ever listen to some hiring firm. Speaking of which what was their name?

66. Katdaddy
    9:47 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

We would be terrible! Billy G would have FOR SALE signs in his yard!

67. Rixter
    9:47 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

61. you think because of BG’s good work, that Calipari was then able to come in and keep the ball rolling? That Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe wouldn’t have come here if Gillispie hadn’t ‘put UK back on the radar’?

68. southeastUKfan1
    9:48 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

True comment by 61. The undoing of Gillispie was the bottle and the dumpster fire Tubby gave him.

69. Rixter
    9:50 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

The undoing of Gillispie was Gillispie’s personality and abrasive demeanor

70. Roggensak
    9:51 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Oh gosh, I remember when BCG took the UK job… I was excited! and now, looking back I’m disgusted…. I guess the A&M win over UL in Lexington made me and other UK fans have blue shaded glasses…

71. Duke sucks
    9:51 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Think what Morris would have been with CAl getting the lead out of his a## And rondo getting to attack the basket instead of tubby ball sorry to say but BCG came into a worst team than pateno had his first year.

72. BakerTom
    9:53 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

That’s all you got? The 152nd “look at who we would have had” post. Can’t wait for the tenth anniversary of it. If you have nothing to add, don’t post.

73. cal's blue balls
    9:53 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

#64 we know that you are the truth so quit it smh

74. Free for All
    9:56 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

BCG will go down as one of the worst hires in collegiate sports history. TTech will be canning him in about the same time it took Mitch to figure out he had a dud.

75. TJ
    9:58 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

BCG is a complete train wreck. How the hell did he ever win anywhere??? UTEP and A&M??? Amazing…

76. wh
    10:02 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

how many players from the final 4 team were BCG’s guys? I am happy with Cal, but BCG should have had one more year

77. Renardo Syndey
    10:05 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

i remember my exact words when they announced the BCG hire “Who the hell is Billy Gillispie and we did we not hire John Calipari?”

Not tooting my own horn but…toot toot.

78. Billy Clyde
    10:06 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

73) Yes, I speak the truth. Thanks for backing me up.

79. BigBlue
    10:06 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

BCG was a HUGE failure…but KSR forgets that TUBBY brought…Alleyne, Orbzut, Perry (our star player for a year or two!), Sheray, Cote, Stockton, Porter, Adam Williams, Morinknyo Williams and more lemons…and absolutely WASTED Rondo. After 10 years of decline thank god for Cal!

80. Oops
    10:16 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

#63 – actually I’m gonna thank George W Bush for the market getting to the 13,000 neighborhood. If yall can blame him for sh!t 3+ years removed – I can sure give him credit. Plus, you know the market is only going up cause people are thinking a Republican is coming into power within the year.

Looking forward to you having ‘bitter beer face’ come November.

81. Truth Hurts
    10:30 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Are the facts shocking? Yes.
    Did UK avert a crisis by firing him? Yes.
    Is KSR beating a dead horse and constantly repeating something we know to be true and can fully appreciate? Hell yes!

82. Rixter
    10:31 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

By the way, the 6’7″ Zollo, whom ‘those close to think will grow to 7’ “…shot all the way up to 6’8”

83. Complete Idiot
    10:41 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Wow it was sad reading those old KSR posts comment sections. I guess we were all in denial. I have to admit I had one of those “Welcome to the Billy G Era” shirts 🙁

84. Complete Idiot
    10:45 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

RACK 79! It can not be understated how horrible Tubby was in his last 3 years. All of the guys listed in this post are better then Tubby’s recruits.

85. Surgeon Michael
    10:58 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Here’s the KSR Vinny Zollo commits!

Ridiculous. Life is good.

86. Lovely
    10:59 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

28. I just spent 10 minutes laughing. Thank you for the perspective.
    If we don’t win #8, KSR should post links to those old articles for a week or so.

87. Duke sucks
    11:01 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Both UNC and Duke offered perry to walk on tubby Gave him a full ride the next week.mike porter still the worst player I have seen at UK tubby got Adam Williams instead of Chris loften who was wanting to come

88. you suck
    11:20 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

holy shit that trip down memory lane was depressing. #InCalWeTrust

89. Somebody else
    11:27 pm February 22, 2012 Permalink

Wow.

90. Andy
    12:23 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

51)Wrong forum. Go to Fox news website. I am sure they will entertain anything there even if it isnt fact.

91. Mater
    1:32 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

I found Billy disturbing from the beginning. I didn’t like his stupid Texas swagger and thought it was really strange that everyone thought it was so great he didn’t have a life outside of basketball. Remember that big butt ugly house he bought way out in the country? It was all just a bad dream….and I’m hoping about a year from now I’ll be saying the same thing about the state of the nation.

92. ukgrad2004
    2:10 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

Go to Youtube and watch the press conference from April ’07 where Gillispie was introduced as our new coach. Tell me he’s not plastered as he addresses the crowd, lol.

93. Me
    2:15 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

If BCG was still here we’d have to change our name to “Church League U”

94. Presto d'Klown
    5:55 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

Gillis Pie’s recruitment of inadequately skilled ‘youth’ is so grossly perverse that, had he stayed at KENTUCKY, the program direction would have reversed.

95. Dave in Kabul
    6:46 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

I was happy as hell to be rid of Tubby. I’m glad that everything happened the way it did. That led to what we have now. If BCG had come in and won 25 games a year, he’d still be here. Regardless of anything else he did.

At the time, I thought BCG was going to fit in. He was a workaholic and had no life. I didn’t know that he was gonna be a dick and a drunk as well.

Now, UK is King of the College Basketball.

Two years of BCG was worth the pain to get to where UK now stands.

I’d still love to know how he got away with all of the things that people say he did AND there are no photographs or video of any of it. He must be a digital vampire or some shit and doesn’t show up in digital HD or otherwise.

96. Dave in Kabul
    6:47 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

Hell, there are all kinds of posts on my blog about Gillispie. I read that shit now and laugh.

97. Stevie Ray
    8:28 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

#6–yep, Derrick Rose a Cat and a VACATE to go along with him.

98. Surgeon Michael
    8:34 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

If Cal won that year, there’d be no Vacate. They wouldn’t not have a national champion. Much easier to vacate a non-winner.

99. Big Dongle
    9:33 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

I remember when BCG was hired and i was like, “who the fudge is this guy?” But it all worked out in the end. Cal stayed at Memphis where Rose got them a vacated season and we got Liggins and Harrelson who would later help get us back to the Final Four under Cal. I think it’s time people move on from the Tubby and BCG eras.

100. oatsee
    9:36 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

Can’t believe Texas Tech would hire this piece of crap.

101. RememberWhen
    11:29 am February 23, 2012 Permalink

Just remember all of the “In Billy we Trust” comments this site made at the time.

102. bigcombs
    4:13 pm February 23, 2012 Permalink

#28….LOL….Those old replies from 2008 are cracking me up. Tons of BCG love.

103. Uncle Big
    5:37 pm February 23, 2012 Permalink

#100. Texas Tech hired him just to prove to themselves that Bobby Knight is not the biggest a$$hole in the world. Never mind, he still is.

104. Duke blows
    5:50 pm February 23, 2012 Permalink

I agree Bobby knight is quite the,prick at least Billy Clyde has a excuse he hung over

105. Carlos (It Is Not A) Toomer
    12:51 am February 24, 2012 Permalink

These stories about Clyde’s off court activities remind me of the one’s about Rick and his antics before Joanne moved to town while I was in college. Oh yeah, and the LPD didn’t escort the drunken Eddie Sutton home at night and Pat Riley didn’t park his convertible on the sidewalk in front of CCI either while he was here. #Lexington’s Dirty Secrets