What’s up with Marquis Teague?

teague

(photo via bleacherreport.com)

If there is one player on Kentucky’s team – in this humble writers opinion – that needs to show more consistency, it is the floor general Marquis Teague. We have seen countless times two different sides of Teague that lead to some pretty rough patches of game time. Whether it’s his inability to score or coughing the ball up over and over, Teague has clear weaknesses. Here’s a quick rundown of areas for improvement for Mr. Teague. This is nothing ground breaking, but it’s finals week at UK and I’m short on time. Deal with it.

— Gain confidence at the charity stripe

It’s such a simple thing; a straight-away 15 footer with all the time in the world to sink. Yet Teague – and several of his teammates, as well – have such a difficult time making the shot. He is 14-24 on the season, one of the most notable misses coming on the front end of a one-and-one in the final seconds of the North Carolina game. Free throws are one of the few things you have direct control over in a game of basketball, there is no excuse for shooting 58% from the line. Teague has to improve his free-throw shooting abiliy; seeing the ball go through the rim, no matter how it’s done, always boosts the confidence of a player.

— Slow down to limit turnovers

Calpari’s offense obviously runs on a quick pace, but we’ve seen the offense eating a lot of shot clock recently to much success. Teague is still finding his handles and adjusting to college-level speed, until his hands and feet catch up to his mind, he needs to avoid working the ball in traffic and just distribute more. Turnovers are Teague’s biggest weakness at this point, if he can eliminate handing the ball over for easy points on the other end it will go a long way towards picking the entire team up. The stellar defensive side of the Cats can’t be utilized on opposing team’s fast breaks.

— Be more vocal… in the right way

Something I’ve noticed while the team is huddling is a quiet Marquis Teague. And something I notice when Teague goes to the bench is a yelling Marquis Teague, what appears to be back talk at Coach Cal. These things need to be reversed. The point guard should be able to command control of his team, and as a freshman Teague needs to take instruction from coach. Now I have no idea how Teague handles himself the vast majority of the time, I’m just giving my outside observations. I’m not saying he has an ego problem, either, I just think a little maturing need to be done on his end. He clearly has the basketball talent to excel, but at times he could carry himself a little better.

— Sink the gimmies

In the same vein as making the free throws, Marquis Teague misses more wide open looks at the rim than I care to remember. I wrote several weeks ago that Kentucky needs to quit missing so many layups, but it’s a reoccurring trend almost every week. Missed shots are going to happen, especially as many times at the Cats drive the lane, but they can’t keep coming up empty on easy points. Teague seems to be the worst offender of this. Take a look back in the Cats four most recent games, Teague is a combined 13-of-31 from the floor inside the arc, that’s 42% – by far the worst on the team. But credit to Teague for turning it around; we saw a different player in the second half of the Indiana game — one who was juking and spinning his way to the rim… and finishing. Yes, Teague is a point guard and doesn’t have a great stroke, but he isn’t shooting many deep balls either.

Maybe Calipari has a way of lighting a fire under Teague at halftime, because this is two straight games where he has been borderline abysmal in the first half, only to bounce back in the second. Perhaps we could get that fire stoked up in the pre-game? Before you tell me Teague is a freshman and is making freshman mistakes – I know this. But he’s playing big-time basketball for a big-time team. He needs to grow up in a hurry, and I have no doubt that he will.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

52 Comments for What’s up with Marquis Teague?

1. hugecalfan
    8:06 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

The word of the week is “LISTEN”.
    If MT, TJ and the others will finally shut up and listen to their coach, we succeed.
    If not, inconsistency will frustrate the BBN all season.

2. Jon
    8:14 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

This KSR site at one time was great. The negative articles that come out because of a loss suck. Who are these a-holes jones has writing now?

3. Hal
    8:17 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

dumb. a FR needs to improve? say what? look at his numbers for 1st 4 games and then after first 4. he’s improving and you’re boring

4. Roggensak
    8:17 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

We (as fans/trolls) are not playing the game and probably have never played at the level these KIDS are playing at… We have a GREAT team and we need to stop putting our two cents into how they need to clean their play up and/or tell them how to DO IT… they can, and will keep winning. I want to say that half of these comments are coming from TROLLS who need to SHUT UP and STOP posting on this site… that is all…

5. FrigFullofBeer
    8:19 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Teague does need to relax more! Maybe Cal needs for team to do a zen type method before game to get jitters out!!! Just a thought, Go Cats #Letsgofor8

6. Stuart Hammer
    8:20 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

3 – I’m looking at his numbers for the first four games, and then his numbers for the last four games. You call that improving? Check again.

7. GM
    8:21 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

What frustrates me are the endless negative posts just like this one. What a miserable bunch of fans we’ve got.

8. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:21 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

2) +1 The last 48 hours you would swear this blog had been hijacked by IndianaSportsRadio. 50% of the posts have been negative/critical. Criticism is ok to a degree, but it has gone over the top. It’s like every author has to make sure they get their shot in.

9. RichieFarmer'sMustache
    8:23 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

You wanna know what’s up with Teague? HE’S A FRESHMAN POINT GUARD AT THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY! People need to get off his back and let the guy getting paid millions worry about “what’s up” with his point guard. Get back to you finals.

10. Hal
    8:29 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

6-1st 4 games: 14.4 ppg, 11-18 a-t ratio
    last 5 games: 10.8 ppg, 27-8 a-t ratio
    oh & unc, @iu, stjohns better competition than kansas, pennst, odu
    sucks when facts get in the way of an argument.

11. hallkats
    8:37 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I.U. coach Tom Crean at Bullitt East tonight checking out D-Will.

12. dcarson
    8:38 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

so were saying that no one should suggest that he needs to improve? a negative fan base would just turn a blind eye to the fact he’s kind of bad at the moment.

13. Haters
    8:49 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I thought this was Kentucky! Don’t WE back our team in a time of need. You all need to get off Jones and Teagues back. Those two will be fine. Better than fine they will be great by March. If you think otherwise go cheer for a different team. This is UK an we love our basketball. Sometimes a little too much. Lets go out and keep being positive towards UK and the players instead of being so hateful. I hope Teague and drop 20+ each next game to shut you all up. C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!

14. Sherlock Holmes
    8:51 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Stuart, don’t write any more until you get a clue.

15. Blueburg
    8:54 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

“Floor general”? He has very quick feet. He needs to take it to the rack one on one. The closer he defender gets to him in transition, the better. Once he slows his mind down he’s okay. Liggins struggled with this for awhile. He’ll work it out.

16. doubting thomas
    8:55 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

bad post. Let talk about Mkg, the white boys, eloy, more shabazz and uk guys in the nba. new stuff you know

17. Me
    8:55 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Damn, I almost long for those ksr stories about Jeter’s signed balls…

Thanks ksr for finding something else to write about other than bashing our OWN kids… oh wait… what?

Can’t wait for Cal to call out ksr for providing a platform for people to bash OUR players. Matt, you may not feel this way – but many of us fans AND Cal look at our players as family and would gladly fight for them if someone was picking on them.

18. Tobias Funke
    8:57 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I agree with most of the comments. I understand that it must be a slow news day, but I would recommend interjecting some fresh opinions and views if you’re going to write about an issue which has already been covered many times. It will take some time to find your voice on this blog, and I am confident that you eventually will. Also, I’d consider using more periods because there are quite a few comma splices in this post.

19. A6FtWhiteBoy
    9:01 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Damn, dunk the ball! Even Polson dunks. Has Teague dunked more than once? Be aggressive. Dunk for all of us who couldn’t.

20. KSR theme party
    9:03 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Negative much?

21. WoW!
    9:05 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Next BlogPost Subject Should Be:
    “What’s up with KentuckySportsRadio.com?”

22. I agree
    9:09 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

#21… I was just about to post the same thing. I can’t imagine the gloom and doom around this place if the Cats fall as far as this site has in the last few days.

23. CaptainMorgan
    9:10 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Tawny will provide Lamb with quality time. Teague will take some time.

24. me
    9:11 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I agree with others. The negativity on this site is ridiculous.

25. Shabazz Muhammad
    9:16 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

When I’m at UK next year, will you hate on me if I’m not perfect?

26. DECAT
    9:16 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I’m making the switch to Aarons UK blog.

27. Ranger
    9:17 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I don’t mind what the writers put on here. If its good thats great if it’s sucks o well. People get wayyyyyyy to worked up about others opinions. IMO.

28. Ddt
    9:24 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

So uh matt jones, does your negative comment ban extend to your writers or when they speak its an opinion?
    Just sayin kinda negativo on ol ksr of late.. Just to give an opinion

29. Chillthe F out
    9:25 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

What are you crazy damn KSR writers doing? Why always negative? You’re the people I hate to watch games with because your always b%tchin about OUR players. I’m done with this site. Writers, you need to stop before you turn future recruits away with garbage.

30. Ddt
    9:25 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

25- heck we already hare u because u didnt commet to the cats whe u were 2

31. bama_cat
    9:27 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

how about marquis gives u “a quick run down to improve” on blogging captain obvious?? oh i’m sorry, u were in a hurry? maybe he is sometimes as well. but his hurry on the court is wayyyyyy more understandable (in this aspect). u remind me of the worst uk fans out there. so many of u could do a better job, know EXACTLY what the player should do at all times, and have it all figured out. all the while, forgetting that they have 4 or 5 of the best coaches top to bottom in the nation. Really?? “Sink the gimmies??” give me a break. mr hammer, we arent all stupid but thank you. does anyone proofread these posts?? matt?

32. Shabazz Muhammad
    9:28 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

30 – Oh no, please don’t hare me. I

33. Rich
    9:42 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Jeez, just because someone is pointing out our stud PG is having difficulties doesn’t mean you attack the guy. Teague missed 3 point blank layups. I don’t care if he was nervous or rattled or whatever. You don’t miss those. Teague has gotten a lot better in terms of fewer turnovers which is a relief. And the articles have been critical because UK lost and there are some real issues to address. No one is forcing you to read so go somewhere else instead of taking the time to read a site and leave a comment.

34. Ddt
    10:44 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

32- it’s ppl like you that make laugh. Are you an editor or an english teacher?
    Could the “hare” been a typo for “hate” as the r and t are next to one another. I am so glad this blog has the spelling police and what must be Mr. Perfect, you, at it’s head. So take bow and know you are mr douchebag he who has no life.

35. 32isadouchebag
    10:46 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

32- grow up it was a typo the r is next to the t

36. Low Country Cat Fan
    11:01 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Ok, this whole turnover issue with Teague needs to have some facts put to it. Yes, he has had a lot, BUT he is better than his two predecessors at this point in the season. For the first eight games of their careers at UK, Wall averaged 4.4 TO per game, Knight averaged 4.3 TO per game and Teague is so far averaging 2.9 TO per game. Want to talk about per minute played? Wall – 0.13, Knight – 0.13, Teague – 0.10. So, lets quit beating the poor boy up over not protecting the ball. He’s doing better than our last two superstars. I’m not saying there aren’t other parts of his game that could be worked on, but he is not as bad as some of you (including Hammer) let on.

37. Michael Kidd-Langford
    11:15 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Now, see, Stuart, even though you were going to write about a tired old topic common among new student writers for KSR, I was looking forward to reading this entry… until I got to “This is nothing ground breaking, but it’s finals week at UK and I’m short on time. Deal with it.”

And that’s how far I got. Because you’re telling me you were too busy to research for, or write a decent article. Not only that, but you still have that weird attitude towards KSR readers. Like I pointed out in one of your previous entries, you have to build a rapport with your readers before you can sass like that. Right now you’re another new name we hardly recognize and I doubt you want to start off on this foot.

Deal with it? No, Stu, how about YOU deal with what it means to be a writer for KSR.

38. Matt Jones' virginity
    11:54 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Deaf ears, Langford. You’re just wasting finger energy.

39. Orcat
    12:13 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

“Countless” times? Come on Stuart, he’s a FRESHMAN playing his first road game in his home state. My guess is that we saw Teague turn the corner at Indiana!

40. UKGrad04
    12:39 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

I did not read this post b/c the topic was not constructive. Shrunk & White say “Omit needless words.” Based on the title and the sub-headlines, I’m guessing you could’ve omitted about 450 words. Trite. Not constructive, and like 37 said, you’re not Drew Franklin. Please don’t talk down to us. Those of us (most) who are smarter than you don’t come here to be condescended to by someone with a made up, fairy-tale last name. Silver lining? You’re the frontrunner for the new BTI.

41. Michael Porter
    12:45 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

Hey Stu, I still have a year of eligibility, man. See if Matt can throw some weight around and get me back on the squad since Teague is so terrible. My boy Sheray says he wishes he could suit up for that slouch TJ! Hit me up Son!

42. cats11
    12:56 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

Hammer’s effort on this post is the equivalent of Jones’ effort against IU. Bench him, Jones.

43. cats11
    12:57 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

(The last Jones being of the Matt variety).

44. Kinger4G
    1:21 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

Everyone needs to ease up on Teague. Hopefully, by now, everyone realizes his potential. His speed and ability to open up the offense is key to #8. He continues to show improvement and will be ready come conference play and more importantly, postseason play. As coach says, enjoy the ride, not the destination. Just wait and see!

45. Win
    1:34 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

The Hammer! I think I like reading the Hammer’s posts the most. They are so bad they are almost good.

46. blue suede shoes
    7:59 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

What the F do you know about what Teague needs to do Stu? You are lucky you are given an audience to read your shite writing. Stick to making jokes and acting cute. I would trust my two-year old’s opinion before yours.

47. proudinky
    8:15 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

Talking smack to his coach? Are you kidding? I dont care how much talent this kid has he should be on the bench until he learns to keep his mouth shut and do what he is told to do. He is getting a free ride with his education and need to appreciate that or shut up and transfer. I love uk, Hate a smart mouth…………send his freshman ass packing back to the “hood”.

48. William Shakespear
    8:20 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

As an educated fan of UK and KSR, these types of posts are 6th grade writing level and serve absolutely no merit. No wonder the last few Recruiting classes do not represent KSR as PPat and other players of old. Shape up this site MATT, THOMAS. Because you are slowly stepping foot over the shark.

49. Caliparifan
    8:54 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

He needs to be unleashed. It’s like he is driving with the hand brake on. He is worrying too much when he is out there. First half against Indiana he cared too much about messing up. Second half when they were losing he decided he was going to worry about messing up. The anger lead him to be more aggressive. Basically a Teague that is over aggresive is better than a Teague that is just out there calling plays and setting picks.

50. Scott
    9:10 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

Teague’s issues throughout HS were that he was never really a leader. He’s always one to yell at his teamates (or even his coaches) when things go wrong, but never one anyone would look to as a leader.

51. steve Landram
    12:07 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

You have a 18 year old kid at point in front of the most hostile environment you can assemble in his home state, and the kid rights himself in the 2nd half and leads a comeback. I will take him any day

52. chamnasty
    1:14 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

speaking of inconsistency, are our players “kids” or “men?” I’m pretty sure the players would call themselves “men” so they should be held accountable for their actions and be expected to conduct themselves as an adult, or a young adult at the very least.

Maybe if we didn’t baby an entire generation and make excuses for them when they act irresponsibly by calling them “kids,” our young men and women would mature faster if they were expected to do so.

Not saying adults are by any means perfect, but don’t forget we had young adults mature enough to be dodging land mines in Korea at 16. Our 18-22 year olds now should be held accountable for their actions based on the standards we expect from adults. Though, everyone deserves a little grace. That is all.