What’s made you miss a game?

This looks like a room that would be in a serial killer's apartment.

I thought about writing a post looking ahead to the LSU game, but that seemed way too depressing. Instead, let’s talk about some of the reasons that we miss UK games. If you’re reading the site, you’re probably a dedicated enough fan that missing a game, be it live or on television, is something you never do. However, sometimes we do have to fire up the DVRs and catch it after the fact. I didn’t watch one second of the Florida game this weekend. I wrote and starred in a play called American Shark (It’s was a great success) and we had shows at 8 and 11 Saturday night. It’s not particularly upsetting that I didn’t get to see us get pummeled, but if I could have, I would have been watching it.

This is a topic that always yields some interesting stories. What are some of your best (or worst) reasons for missing a UK football or basketball game? Let’s here the converse, too. What are some important things that you skipped out on in order to watch Kentucky play? Hell, if there are enough good responses, we’ll all be well prepared to skip out on the LSU game.

Article written by Matthew Hays

53 Comments for What’s made you miss a game?

1. Eric
    11:25 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I missed my first home game since 1992 because of financial difficulties this season. If I could afford it, I would be at every game. I just enjoy the atmosphere of college football. So to me there is no good reason for missing a game.

2. Irwin R. Fletcher
    11:25 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

Some friends invited us over for dinner. Last year, I would’ve skipped. Now, I DVR it & watch the carnage at my own convenience.

3. BigBlueBear
    11:25 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

The only time ive ever missed a UK game is for a wedding i was in, and even then i was listening to it on the radio during the reception.

4. GoCats2
    11:27 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I missed the 2009 UNC game(the 1st game with Wall and Co.) because my townhouse was evacuated by the Fire Department due to a gas leak. They told us we had to stay out of the building for at least 2 hours and this was 10 minutes before the game started. I told my wife that the Fire Department was probably just being overly cautious and I am sure we would be fine. She looked at me like I was insane. I ended up catching the last 5 minutes of the game at a Sports Bar after several tries(I was living in Philadelphia at the time).

5. Lou Brown
    11:27 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I had a guy on the other line about some white walls!!!

6. Wishwecouldcatch
    11:29 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I don’t miss a game ever…

I have a flight out of CVG on Thursday for Baton Rouge. Let’s go Cats!

7. Ulfdog
    11:34 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

People who schedule Fall weddings on Saturday afternoons and evenings should be shot.

I missed a UK/UL game on New Years Eve once when it was a noon/early afternoon tip and NYE was a weekday. Had to work…no choice.

8. AJBUK
    11:36 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I had Goodfells on Friday night at 2 am, spent the rest of the day on the toilet. Got live stats on my iphone thgouh….which was pretty neat.

9. Salem Cat
    11:37 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

This year, I miss games to aviod depression….football only, never miss a basketball game.

10. ukfan
    11:38 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I’d miss a football game if the basketball team were playing horse at the blue courts

11. Deputy
    11:38 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I’m a cop, so sometimes there is absolutely no way I can catch a game. Last season for one of the basketball games in November I had t miss it entirely because a man decided to kick his sisters door in, shoot at her, and run back home and lock himself inside his house for 4 hours…this was roughly 10 minutes before tip off.

12. Dan From Fully House
    11:39 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

You write plays?

13. ukfan
    11:39 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t miss a basketball game for anything.. I’ve quit 2 part time jobs in the past because of scheduling conflicts and missed my grandmothers funeral, only because she would of wanted me to of course..

14. Jones Returns
    11:39 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I’ll use any excuse I can to not watch a UK football game live this year…I’m not wasting an entire Saturday on that. Just record it, skip the commercials and the ugliness, and it’s alot less frustrating… I can finish a game in 30 minutes and still see all i need to see

15. beatdown city
    11:40 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I have had a wedding 4 straight weeks since football started. Haven’t seen them play for 1 second…..though depressing, I hear I haven’t missed much…

16. Jones Returns
    11:43 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I won’t miss a basketball game live unless it’s an emergency or a major life event.

17. Coach K
    11:44 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

missed the UK vs. LSU (you know, when we stopped them on 4th & 1)game because…i was at a UC football game..i know…i’m a douche.

18. minton
    11:52 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I missed the game because i was more interested in the UFC fight. Basketball season in 3 weeks! No missing that.

19. John Denver
    11:53 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I went to the bathroom to drop a load during football season and didn’t come back till basketball season. I never never miss a basketball game Even the Billy G and Eddie Sutton cringing years.

20. Green Jelly
    11:55 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

I called in sick to work last year because there was no way in hell I was missing the UK/UL basketball game. I started putting it all together the day before; fake coughing, acting croggy, dropping hints that I expected to feel worse as time went on. That night I TEXTED my manager around 9:30 and said that I wasn’t going to feel good enough to work the next day. It worked and at tipoff I was at home eating B-Dubs in front on my flatscreen. I never miss basketball games if there’s any way I can help it.

21. fake fan
    11:59 am September 26, 2011 Permalink

kidney stone

22. ET
    12:02 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I miss games right now because I’m in Iraq.

23. Big D
    12:04 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

Unfortunately, or fortunately Breeder’s Cup is a Saturday during football season. One of my favorite days of the year. Takes precedence most of the time.

24. me
    12:04 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

“I wrote and starred in a play called American Shark”

wow.

25. Big Cuz
    12:06 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I had a date…with a girl.

26. kyfan
    12:07 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

Only time and only time I ever miss a UK game is when I have Drill for the Army!

27. Saul Smith
    12:09 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I try to miss every game for scheduled prostate exams. Just Say’n

28. rick
    12:23 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

Never miss a game unless its a death. Maybe you should give your spot up on this site if you cant watch the games. No one wants to read someone that cant or doesnt watch the games.

29. Brad Bleeds Blue
    12:24 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

Humble brag

30. Saul Smith
    12:29 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

Rick. I am not really Saul Smith. That there post above was meant to be satire for the above average witty. Sorry, dude.

31. hoss_cat
    12:29 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

this article should be one of the dumba$$ posts on the catspause. Is this seriously where KSR is going?

I like the catspause as well, but there’s always a stupid thread created by some loser about something that no one should give a sh1t about.

32. thats budda
    12:31 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I missed my niece’s wedding Saturday to see the pummeling. But some of the talent I saw during tailgating was fantastic

33. locke-not-gonna-get-drafted
    12:33 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I had to cut my big toenail and I decided to count the fungal spores.

34. Jeff Ratliff
    12:38 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

To avoid irritable bowel syndrome

35. Section 133
    12:39 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I bagged the Charleston Southern game last fall to go to the Breeder’s Cup. Cashed two tickets that I got 1099’d on. Well worth it.

36. Greg
    12:42 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

On a DJ company and have wedding booked at game times.

37. alex
    1:10 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I missed the Florida game this wknd because we were playing Florida. Whats the point?

38. Peter Piper
    1:22 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

buddy of mine missed both of the field storming games in 2007 (UL & LSU). Both were night games and both times his girlfriend got so hammered before the game that she either passed out or booted in the student section by halftime.

39. hithere3387
    1:24 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

a rerun of the west wing was on…my dvd player.

40. Old Papaw
    1:59 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I only miss the games when I wet the bed. My problem is that I get down on myself for being such a clutz, and then after laying there for a while I actually enjoy it and I don’t want to get up. Is that bad?

41. twnky
    2:04 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

You should never, never miss a basketball game. Never.

42. JIMMIEUKFAN
    2:09 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I missed the Florida game because I wanted to enjoy Saturday evening with my family;) Then after baking cookies and staring at each other we enjoyed the LSU/WVU game together!

43. Rusty Shackleford
    2:09 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I never miss a game. I usually get to go to 3 fball games a year & same for bball(no fball for me this year). Otherwise I watch them on tv or listen on radio. The sad thing is that in the past when the football cats play the way they have this year I get upset & take it out on whatever is near…cat, remote, brother…but now I’m at the point that I just shake my head and laugh.

44. clubber
    2:09 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I missed the 2009 unc game which i had tickets to because i was taking the LSAT for the 2nd time. I missed the game and did worse on the test than I had the 1st time. Not all bad though, I am currently in my 2nd year of law school

45. UKUSN
    4:00 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

Deployed on a ship, deployed in Afghanistan, deployed to Africa, seems i miss the uk/ul game evry year because im gone. When im at home on leave we are always playing some division II team.

46. catarific
    4:15 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I missed the 07 UL game, due to the fact I broke my arm on the blue courts tailgating in a foot race with Bobby Perry. I watched the game in the ER.

47. 3 fan
    4:55 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

I have to miss several basketball games a year as my local cable doesn’t carry Fox South or that stupid CSS crap. However, if I get dish I miss the games carried by the UK network.

I miss football games for any freakin’ reason I can

48. JRA
    6:05 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

spending time with my children supersedes everything else, otherwise I go. Lately, have to admit, going to UK football games is just a little less painful then going to the dentist. Joker football is much like Tubby basketball, slow, predictable, pitiful and most often painful!

49. catnuts
    7:00 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

11)You think he locked his self in for 4 hours to watch the Cats? That would be an awesome ending to your story.

50. Bum Ankle
    9:32 pm September 26, 2011 Permalink

Don’t have espnu and not paying extra for it. I could give two sh!ts about watching some other states team playing. If UK is on one of my other 200 channels I will postpone my funeral.

51. bryce stephens
    9:29 am September 27, 2011 Permalink

During Florida game, The Last Of the Mohicans was on so i changed it there when things went downhill…which is to say after five finutes

52. RealTalk
    9:30 am September 27, 2011 Permalink

I missed the game because I was watching this really great show called “American Shark”

53. me