What We Learned Saturday in the Yum

Cayts

It’s fair to say that losing to Louisville is the worst. Even in this rivalry that has recently been dominated by the Big Blue (#L1C4 does stand for Louisville 1, Calipari 4), losing just one game to the Dirty Birds can be a bit difficult to stomach. I talked my friend Lee Ann this afternoon and she said it best. “I couldn’t even watch the game yesterday with the sound on because I hate to hear their fans cheer.” I know exactly what she means. While I have no problem seeing the happiness on players that I respect such as Peyton Siva or enjoying the heartwarming story of the Dieng family visit, watching the obnoxious segment of the Louisville fan base celebrate is akin to being stuck on Election Night at the opposing candidate’s victory party. It is a bit too much to handle.

But once we get passed that feeling of stomach flu, there are a number of positive signs for Kentucky coming out of Saturday’s game. The Cats played well for 30 of the game’s 40 minutes (the last five minutes of the first half and first five of the second half withstanding), and showcased a grit in coming back that we did not necessarily see on the horizon. Rick Pitino probably put it the best when he said afterwards that two weeks ago, Kentucky “didn’t look like a very good team,” but now they are a contender. Credit goes to Camp Cal and a team willing to work to get better.

So with that in mind, let’s look at the players and team going forward and what we learned from yesterday:

Ryan Harrow

Ryan Harrow was excellent yesterday. In fact, I can quibble with virtually no part of his performance in a game that just four weeks ago, it seemed he would be a non-factor. Harrow played 37 minutes against the best defensive team in America and had zero turnovers. That is virtually impossible, but Harrow did it, all the while showing none of the timidness that has accompanied his play all season. When Harrow was at NC State, he was known as a player who would choke on the big stage. And now at Kentucky, he played on the biggest stage and took one of the best point guards in America to essentially a draw. Harrow drove the lane, found the open man and played credible defense, all while being a stabilizing force on a team where the main stars were going MIA. If we take nothing else from the game on Saturday, we can now believe that UK has a point guard capable of making a March run. That seemed impossible just weeks ago.

Nerlens Noel

Doug Gottlieb came on the post-game show with me Saturday night and agreed with my assessment that Nerlens Noel has actually become underrated nationally. What he does for UK on a nightly basis is really impressive and it is only because people compare him to the GOAT freshman that he isn’t given the credit he deserves. Noel is a stat sheet stuffer…he scores, rebounds, block shots, gets steals at an amazing rate and probably leads the team in deflections. His offensive skills need work but they are improving. If he could develop a free throw line jumper, he would make it impossible to play zone against the Cats, but besides that one deficiency, I am fairly happy with his development. Noel is a rock on a team of inconsistent players and for that, he deserves much credit.

Archie Goodwin

Nothing symbols this team’s inconsistency like Archie Goodwin, who played the worst 32 minutes he has produced this season (along with the Notre Dame game), but then became a scoring machine in the last eight. I love his determination to get to the rim and his ability to score in huge bunches. His decision making is still suspect, but his intensity is not. His defense has been surprisingly lacking, showcased in part in the way Russ Smith was able to get open looks against him (although he missed many during UK’s run). However Archie is the best scorer UK has and when he is clicking, they become a VERY good offensive team. It is important that Archie play aggressive, but not out of control..and that is obviously difficult for him. However he is the one elite scorer on the team and UK will live and die by his offense all year long.

Julius Mays

A number of fans saw Julius Mays’s game as being lacking on Saturday and to some extent they are correct. His limitations were showcased when on the court with the elite athletes from both teams, as crystallized by the late play in which he cut to the basket to get an open layup, only to have shot blocked when he couldnt sky to the rim to finish. But, Mays did a lot that is not recognized by those that only focus on offense. He is always in the right place, makes the correct pass and is a better than you would think defender (Wayne Blackshear got very little on him all night). In a perfect world, he would be this team’s sixth man, coming off the bench and playing 20 minutes while looking to hit open jumpers. But this team doesn’t have that luxury, especially when someone (Alex Poythress) is taking the night off. Mays ends up having to play 35 minutes, which is too much, mostly because he is consistent and won’t screw up. And until the elite players all hit their stride, that luxury is one that Calipari will use. With all of that said, he has to shoot better than he did Saturday, and get back to his consistency from early in the year.

Alex Poythress

There is no more frustrating player or bigger disappointment at this point than Alex Poythress. Six weeks ago he was being talked about by some NBA guys as the potential #1 overall draft pick. Saturday, he played only 3 minutes in the second half and sat the bench as Kentucky made its run back into contention in the game. He is the most physically imposing player at Kentucky since Kelenna Azubuike, but just like Kelenna, he utilizes that strength rarely. Watching the game on Saturday, you would have forgotten that he was even one of the best five players on the court. The closest thing that Louisville has to Poythress, Chane Behanan, scored 20 points and led his team to victory, while Alex sat on the bench. I love Poythress as a player. When he is at his best, he is a joy to watch and his physically imposing dunks got the name #Hutcherson from me and Josh Hopkins on the radio show. However that phrase has rarely been uttered, as Poythress has sat back and watched the game pass him by. He is costing himself money and more importantly for UK fans, he is costing this team the chance to reach its potential. It is a minor miracle that Kentucky was within three against Louisville getting nothing from him. If they are to win in March against equivalent teams, he has to reach his potential…and soon.

Willie Cauley-Stein

Leave aside the free throws…they were obviously horrible and he must improve. But outside of those six monumental bricks, Willie played his best game in a Kentucky uniform and was a revelation on Saturday. We heard he might start and when he did, one could immediately see why. He attacked the glass with reckless abandon and was a defensive force, disrupting a number of shots. He also had jaw-dropping athletic plays such as his block of a Harrell dunk attempt that was incorrectly called as a foul. The “Twin Tower” system with he and Noel still needs one of them to formulate a mid-range jumper, but on defense, it is absolutely dominating. You simply cannot get interior shots off with the two of them in the lane and the defensive force is impressive. He has to stay out of foul trouble and, yes, work on those free throws. But Willie is only getting better and he is going to be a major force this year and as the Center on a 2014 national title team next year.

Kyle Wiltjer

He needs to get better, tougher and help in other ways besides scoring. But until that happens, Wiltjer’s three point shooting is the best offensive weapon this team has. Not only did his two open threes bring Kentucky back into the game, but the threat of his shooting allowed Archie Goodwin and Ryan Harrow to get lanes to drive to the basket. He made four threes and could have had a couple more late if players had seen him open for good looks. When he is open, I still think they will always go in and there is probably no better offensive sequence for UK than when a player drives to the basket and kicks to Wiltjer for an open look. He needs to rebound more (he is getting better) and get on the floor (he didn’t dive for a ball at around the three minute mark that cost UK a possession), but if UK needs a shot, he is the guy. And that is still a weapon that very few other teams possess.

The Team as a Whole

I came into the Louisville game unready to render a final judgment on this team, but pessimistic as to their potential. I leave the Louisville game thinking that the Cats can still be a contender. College basketball is weak this year and there is no dominant team that cannot be beaten. Kentucky has played the two best teams so far in the country, Duke and Louisville, and both games have gone down to the wire. Kentucky has more room for improvement than those two teams, or really any team in America. The key for this season is that Kentucky find itself in the group of 8-10 teams that have a real shot at winning a title this year. For now, that group includes Duke, UL, Indiana, Michigan, Arizona, Florida, Kansas, Syracuse and Ohio State. Kentucky needs to find its way into that group. Before Saturday, I didn’t think they could. Now I think it is definitely a possibility. For that, the team and John Calipari deserve a lot of credit.

No radio show tomorrow, but we have a full day on the site. See ya then…

Article written by Matt Jones

63 Comments for What We Learned Saturday in the Yum

1. Nashville Cat Mama
    8:38 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Would love to download the podcast for yesterday’s post game show! It would make me miss tomorrow and Tuesday’s shows less…

2. E Cat
    9:01 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Really good overview. Alex had two really bad turnovers and his head was not in it. We lack a true PF and I agree we struggle if Mays has to play that many minutes. But we need him and Kyle to stretch defenses.

3. golly
    10:42 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey, I heard L1C4 stands for Louisville 1, Calipari 4 – isn’t that hilarious!

4. JW
    10:44 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Great post, Matt. I agree with you 100%. Frankly, your assessment is helping me down off the ledge. I am dying to see this team playing to their potential. Go CATS!

5. Rixter
    10:51 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

But when did NC State ever play on a big stage? 1983?

6. Bruce Lee Wisdom
    10:57 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

WCS block on Harrell was clean (even Harrell’s facial expression showed he couldn’t believe he got the call), no way that foul should have been called with all the pushing/grabbing/bodying going on in the interior (a very inconsistent call by the official). #4 what game were you watching?

7. Blue Year's Eve
    11:01 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Can we please stop talking about how good AP is. I for one am tired of all the potential talk (yes he is only a young freshman). I try not to get down on him and his lack of productivity but what bothers me the most is his indifference. Glad Cal is going to work one on one with him. Maybe he’s a two and done’r and its going to take him some time to figure it out. Nothing wrong with that.

8. Randolph Morris
    11:01 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m better than Alex poythress

9. CAUKFAN
    11:07 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Noel is looking a lot better.

10. Julius mays
    11:10 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

I just pump faked again.

11. Syrin
    11:19 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Good GOD SEC !! WTF HAPPENED ?!?!?!?!?!

Alabama A&M 59
    Mississippi St. 57

I mean, I have never even HEARD of Alabama A+M. Man oh MAN. Can we join the Ivy League for basketball? It would be better competition.

12. MCVito
    11:28 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Tired of all the “fans” whining about this season. I’ll happily take 1 bad season with 3 excellent ones. But, I don’t see this as a bad season. We have hung with the #1 and #3 teams in the nation both before conference play. If anyone has earned benefit of doubt it is Cal. So just sit back and relax until the SEC tourney. If we’re not winning by then, then all the “fans” will have hopped off their bandwagon and we can start look forward to the Harrison twins and 2014.

13. Syrin
    11:31 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

You are being too big of a fan boi for Mays. His D was sub-par. His guy beats him EVERY time. He is relying completely on the fact that he has Nerlens back there to bail him out. BUT, what happened a LOT yesterday is one of the interior guys would leave THEIR man to defend HIS man only to have the guy dump it off and get a lay up or a dunk. Mays has limitations, and we need to let the studs run the floor and develop. Take our lumps, but run the thoroughbreds out there.

Poythress is an enigma. I think he could dominate high school just by being physically better than everyone else. He didn’t need the motor or work ethic, he is that gifted physically. I have no idea how hard he works at his game, but I know the motor is lacking.

14. Syrin
    11:32 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

#12, I agree, and this team could be really good come March. No dominant team, and we can get on a hot streak. Our D alone will carry us through many games. We out rebounded the Cards without Poythress playing most of the game.

15. Frank Stallone
    11:34 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Ha. Six monumental bricks by WCS. You got that right. He should try shooting granny shots. 11. Mississippi State is basically a high school team. They’ll be lucky to win another game. If we lose to anyone other than Florida, Tennesse, or Missouri we deserve an NIT bid.

16. lonnieb
    11:35 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Everybody needs to back off poythress……let him figure it out……he will be a lottery pick regardless…..
    I feel like if I was a recruit and read the posts and comments on KSR it would make hesitant to come to a place where the fans turn on you so easy. Its sad really…..he is an 18 year old kid…..maybe he is just freaking out and had no idea what the pressure at uk was like………but the fans need to quit bashing our own players…..

17. Big O
    11:36 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Not a big fan of Matt Jone$ but he is spot on with this post!

18. MADARCHITECT
    11:40 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

past

19. Stunna88
    11:45 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

This team has a very low basketball IQ.. They are soft and fundamentally unsound. Good thing is they are young and the bad thing this they are young…. Looking at this team they do not play free and playing very tight. Coach Cal I think was out coached by Pitino big time. Willie Cauly Stein seems to play hard but lacks some skill but we be a good player. The one thing any team can do IS PLAY HARD ON BOTH ENDS OF THE COURT PERIOD… C.A.T.S do not always play hard..

20. BB
    11:52 pm December 30, 2012 Permalink

Butch if bitches

21. Funky Monkehy
    12:23 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Matt nailed it on this one, this is exactly where UK is at, for better or worse.

22. theSkinny81
    12:35 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

What I took from the game: Arguably Pitino’s best Louisville team almost lost to arguably Calipari’s weakest Kentucky team, on their home court – in December. UK was within two points with 5 and a half to go.

I like my team.

23. Commish
    12:41 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

I agree this team is playing tight….playing not to lose…I think Cal is trying to get them to play half court efficiently to get ready for NCAA… Biggest problem is this team stops playing when they make a mistake…Mays plays so many minutes cuz he keeps playing even after mistakes or missed shots and that’s what Cal wants…team needs to play like like someone stole their lunch money!!….lets go Cats

24. Ukato80
    12:42 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

If, in March, Mays is the 7th man….we’ll be tough. We can’t go very far with him starting though. He can’t get to the basket at all, and a 2 guard has to drive.

25. Fugu
    12:44 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

“Most physically imposing player since Kelenna Azubuike remains Eric Bledsoe and Poythress isn’t even close.

26. Fugu
    12:50 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Can anyone here objectively envision Poythress going up to block D-Wade at the rim like Bledsoe? Bledsoe has been the forgotten man, much like Doron Lamb, but unlike Lamb I see multiple All-star selections in Bledsoe’s future once he starts getting 25+ MPG.

27. Fugu
    12:58 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Good breakdown of Bledsoe’s dominance despite not seeing much PT.
    Give it a read. http://losangeles.sbnation.com/2012/12/14/3767168/eric-bledsoe-better-than-you-think-clippers-chris-paul

28. SeaCat
    1:40 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

I fear Alex and Archie are just plain
    old fashioned dumb.
    Mays and Wiltjer are just plain old
    fashioned slow.
    Therefore Cal is a little short of
    fast smart players…

29. TJ
    1:54 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Can we all agree that UofL has the most annoying PA announcer in the country?

30. Stevie
    1:59 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Moral victories….oh how things have changed in Lexington.

31. kingrex
    2:08 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

#28 I suspect this as well. It is not horrible. They are freshmen. This is why this system is not always going to work. You need a couple of above average players who will be there for a few years, learn the system, become smart and better players and be there to steady the younger guys. Witjer is NOT that kind of guy. Why did Kyle not dive at that loose ball as it came to him near midcourt? Are you serious Kyle??! He watched at as though the moment was happening to someone else. I wish Poythress luck of course, but as of now am not encouraged. I do not know what Archie is doing most of the time. I believe it has to do with the muscle memory from doing these ridiculously athletic things after he leaves his feet as a kid up until last year. Yes I am sure he could leave his feet with only a vague idea of what he wanted to accomplish for as long as he can remember, but that kind of thing does not translate to the next level. Do not get me wrong, I love having talent versus the mediocrity of the tubby and bcg years. The college game has changed immensely. The NBA has decided they will draft guys based upon upside alone which allows the children to leave after one year. it is hardly ideal, but I would rather have Harrow, Poythress and Archie than Porter, Coury and Perry. What is frustrating I think for us is the idea we will not see anything close to really good basketball from some of these guys and yet they could still be drafted next year.

32. kingrex
    3:34 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

#26 Forget meeting him at the rim; I honestly cannot imagine Poythress in a position where he can walk up to Wade and ask him for an autograph.

33. Big Whoop
    3:52 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

I don’t agree that losing to Louisville is the worst. Losing to Garner-Webb and VMI is the worst. We’ve not acheived that distinction since Cal has arrived.

I believe this team is Cal’s worst. However, when you consider that we were Elite 8, Final Four and then National Champions, this being Cal’s worst has to be taken in context. This team can match Cal’s first – not with their record, but how far they can go in March. Brandon Knight’s team can be matched with the record, but I just don’t see this team making the Final Four. There is NO comparison to last year’s team. This team isn’t as talented or as experienced. All the above doesn’t mean they can’t be good and they could run into a string of luck in the tournament and make the Elite 8. BY doing so, they meet a pretty good standard.

Considering where we’ve been since the 1998 championship from eupohria to the depths of dispair – mediocrity to god awfulness – back to euporia in 2012. I am most happy to declare this to be Cal’s worst team because Cal’s worst is far better than Gillespie’s best and better than the majority of “10 loss Tubby’s” teams.

That, my friends, is a lesson in context and perspective.

34. Somervillain
    4:15 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

I used to live in Boston. When Mo Vaughan left, they replaced him with Jose Offerman. He was terrible, was quickly booed by the fans and it ended badly for him and the Sox. Then I lived in St. Louis. When Mark McQwire left, (after a brief period of Will Clark that doesn’t fit my narrative), they replaced him with a no-longer Yankee caliber Tino Martinez. He was terrible, but every time he came to the plate, he got a standing ovation and he turned it around and both he and the team had success.

Makes me wonder what is the best way that WE, the fans, can help the team, specifically Alex. Pretty sure it isn’t by dumping on the kid.

35. The Great Compromise
    4:26 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Great post Matt Jones and well-said #34!

36. Question
    6:20 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

How was Montrezl Harrell ranked in the 80’s and Alex in the top 10? Scouts fell asleep when ranking Harrell. Maybe it was because he was an early commit to Va Tech. Who knows.

37. UK Student
    6:22 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Alex and Cal do not get along, at all. I was told alex is just waiting for the draft so he can get out of town. The surprising thing I was told is Noel is not well liked by his teammates. Was told this by a student manager.

38. RealCatsFan
    7:03 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

#36, the fact that Harrell was an overlooked talent was not lost on Cal – he made a run at him, but lost this recruiting battle to Pitino. Can’t win them all, I guess.

#37, you are not helping the cause with vicious rumors, and judging by all the pictures and videos of Nerlens going to visit sick kids and nursing homes, it’s hard to imagine that he is not well liked by his teammates. He looks to me like the one player on the court who is trying to get his teammates fired up.

#38, your momma wants her laptop back so she can look up the number for the meth clinic.

39. The Ed
    7:28 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

GREAT Analysis MJ. I mean, you made great observations, the biggest being Harrow’s improvement (we can go far if this is the PG we get game in and game out), We live and die from Archie’s offense (he gains consistency, we make a deep run). Poytress is another one for consistency we live and die on. Reminds me of Terrence Jones and how we fared with his lack of consistency. Once we got it, we got a solid #3, #4 option in the offense that teams couldn’t handle. Thank God for Nerlens and Willie. this tandem with a little time together, could turn into the most devestating, athletic big man combo in the country. Wiljer’s shot is falling again, and that should open up a lot of opportunties. You were right on about Mayes… he’s a solid dude, but 35 min. a game is a little much. He’s a great player to have on the court when we need to not panic (when down 17, he and Harrow did a great job in the backcourt).

Unfortuntely, what this team needs is time. And we don’t have that going into conference play. Hopefully with Cal’s great ability to mesh a team, we can accelerate the learning process and use the experience of playing the Cards into strong conference play. We WILL NOT (that includes Florida, Mizzu, and others), play anyone as tough as we did in Louisville. That was our Indiana game from last year (toughest regular season game).

Great job Matt. Have a Happy New Year my friend. Look forward to making a pit stop before the season ends in KY! Thanks for the great info. Well said!!!

40. SexnNursinHomes
    7:30 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

37- Bull.

41. RealCatsFan
    7:35 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

#41, I agree with most of your assessment, but I think playing Florida down in the Swamp will be every bit as tough of an environment as the YUM center, maybe more so, since the UF fans can be much more obnoxious and rowdy than the UL fans. Florida is tough this year, and they will be hungry for a win against the Cats after getting beat three times last year.

Some of the other road venues, like USC, UT, Vandy and Miss St will also be loud and rowdy, but the teams are much more beatable. But these opponents always seem to rise to the occasion against the Cats.

42. Free Throws
    7:35 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Don’t expect the free throws to get better. These guys have been allowed to skate through their careers, short as they are, without being forced to make free throws. I’ve never seen anyone impove free throw shooting by the amount this team needs. To contend the team needs to be in the high 70% range for free throws and the guys that are on the floor all the time need to be higher. We may move deep into the tournament based upon the improved play, but we’ll stop ourselves by missing free throws.

43. RealCatsFan
    7:42 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

43, enjoy the smackdown by the Gators.

44. comeinpeace
    8:08 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

We were due, you guys have come a long long way in 3 weeks. What a comeback. I don’t think there were more than 2 or 3 teams that could have held you off Saturday, I am grateful we were one of them. Should be a fun 3 months. Happy New Year BBN

45. UKBlue
    8:09 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

We can’t be surprised we lost, we all knew it was going to happen, but none of us could have dreamed if we get down 17, we have an honest chance of coming back.

Unless something dramatically changes, if Alex puts his name in for the draft he’s an idiot. Alex is in no way good enough yet; his mind is totally not in it.

Archie plays too immature, is too out of control, and he acts like he is always playing AAU ball.

Noel & WCS need to develop the Anthony Davis middle of the paint/mid jump shot.

These kids need to be shooting 100 free throws everyday before & after practice.

46. C'mon
    8:15 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

49 – I can’t believe people still try to argue whether or not a playeris good enough to go pro. The nba drafts on potential. People like you say the same thing every year, and will be wrong again this year.

47. BurnerTurner5
    8:25 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

#11 Not to mention Alabama lost to Tulane last night. But they did score a whopping 50 points. There should be only two teams in the SEC that could potentially beat the cats. If UK loses to any team in the SEC that isn’t Florida or Mizzo we may be talking N.I.T..

48. Kentucky basketball
    8:27 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

#19, you are crazy if you think Rick out coached Cal.

49. huntin chickens
    8:50 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

why cant it be Louisville 1 Cats 4?

50. Jughead
    9:13 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

I doubt Poythress is just hanging around for the NBA draft. If he keeps playing like he does now, he’ll hear crickets during the first two rounds.

51. EW
    9:27 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

“(he didn’t dive for a ball at around the three minute mark that cost UK a possession)”
    Wiltjer didn’t dive for that ball and he never will. He does NOT have any fire in his belly and that’s why he’ll never be anything more than a 3-point shooting specialist. Not even Camp Cal can “teach” a kid how to love the game with the grit a determination it takes to be a great player.

52. SeaCat
    9:40 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

60) Kyle is simply not quick enough to
    grab loose balls or grab rebounds
    or block shots. His reaction time is slow.
    I am still worried about WCS and his lack
    of stamina. If Cal and Rock can’t get him
    in shape, it must be heart or lungs.

53. Love'da'cats
    10:13 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Tell me the CATS are down by 17 early in 2nd half and I would think they lose by 30. Against a tough L’ville team, to come back–without AP–shows a lot. This team will get a lot better. Up side is tremendous.

KW is a shooter first and only!. His lack of desire to lead shows he lacks a lot. He should be the first in the gym and the last to leave, he should be LEADING rather than act a clown. He is not funny during basketball season. GET SERIOUS>

AP, well not sure here but guarantee you I trust Cal. He has not picked a loser yet and doubt AP is his first. Cal will slowly bring him around, AP has the skill level to be great and help this team.

Get behind these CATS, they need our help. Really hard to think Cal knew how to schedule this year but as it turns out, it is playing right into his hands. He can now finish a hard job of putting this team together and focus toward Feb when we have a couple of test to see how we are coming along. I am here for the ride.

54. CardsFan
    10:31 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

We killed you Kitties to death.

55. BBN Momma
    10:52 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

I think this is a great representation and summary of this team. I really enjoyed reading it.

56. mudcreekmark
    10:53 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Cal working one on one with Poythress will work wonders for the kid. Look what Cal has done over the last 2 weeks with this team.

57. BNClay
    10:58 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

For anyone complaining about Mays getting playing time. The reason he gets more minutes because we have less depth in the back court than the front court. Bench Poythress you can bring in WCS or Wiltjer. Bench Mays and who are you bringing in Polson? Hood? Twanny? Play 3 bigs and lose ball handling against the press?

58. mudcreekmark
    11:24 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

Harrow- Better than Teague. Makes good decisions with the basketball. If bigs knew how to roll or cut to the basket his assists would be much better.
    Goodwin- Raw talent. Wild and out of control most of the time. Shows signs of being able to take over at times but also shows signs of a low basketball I.Q.
    Poythress-Phyically imposing player who has yet to find his role with this team. Nice outside shot but has poor ball handling skills that are keeping him from being the slasher type player that he needs to be to be successful.
    Noel-Great motor.Hustles his ass off on every possession. Defense is getting much better as the year goes along.Offense seems to be getting better. Needs to work on low most moves.
    WCS-Great athlete. Runs the floor well.Getting better each game. Just needs more playing time and to work on free throws obviously.
    Wiltjer-Slow but smart with the basketball most times.One of the purest shooting strokes in the country.Defense is a liability but have to have his scoring ability on the court to make a run.
    Mays-Good glue guy. Needs to get hot in a hurry or needs to play less.

59. mudcreekmark
    11:29 am December 31, 2012 Permalink

57)We have Harrow and Goodwin at guard. Why do we need to start a third guard? A very small two guard.Mays should be coming off the bench to give the other 2 guards a breather, not starting and playing 3 minutes.Mays is what he is. He isn’t going to get any better by playing more minutes. On the other hand, Poythress, WCS or Wiltjer could use the extra time on the floor to get better.

60. mudcreekmark
    12:18 pm December 31, 2012 Permalink

35 minutes

61. Ryne
    12:29 pm December 31, 2012 Permalink

FYI Penn St is beating us in the video game cover please keep voting…

62. BNClay
    1:11 pm December 31, 2012 Permalink

#59.. Poythress was already benched, WCS in for him, Wiltjer < Mays in every aspect but shooting. Mays was the easy choice to be on the floor.

63. wildcatdon
    1:30 pm December 31, 2012 Permalink

Did my post get deleted? I was one of the first ones…WCS’s block on Harrell was not called incorrectly..It was a foul as he smashed him with his body..Yes he did block the ball,but the play doesnt stop there..