What UNC getting off scot-free means

“Wait, did you read those books like you were asked?” “No?” “Okay, I’ll just write this note saying that you did.”

Earlier today, we found out that the NCAA determined that UNC didn’t commit any violations when it allowed basketball and football players to take phony classes and receive inflated grades. In fact, the NCAA sent officials down to Chapel Hill to investigate the “potential academic issues involving student-athletes in African and Afro-American Studies courses” and came away saying that the school hadn’t violated any rules. As recently as eight days ago, they confirmed those findings with the university, which means investigators were aware of Julius Peppers’ leaked transcript.

Why are they getting away with this? Because they outsmarted the system. There are no current rules that pertain to academic fraud, which means that technically, UNC didn’t break any. How does UConn feel about that? They’ve received multiple infractions from the NCAA for low academic scores. But, since they didn’t cover those scores up with fake grades and BS credits, they can’t compete in the 2013 NCAA Tournament. So, in order to escape the wrath of the NCAA, they should have done what UNC did: cheat. Great lesson to teach the kiddos, Mark!

And don’t even get Penn State started. While I would never compare what happened in State College to academic fraud, Penn State and its players didn’t violate any NCAA rules. Yet, they received one of the worst punishments in NCAA history.

While the fact that UNC is getting off scot-free is infuriating, more maddening to me is what this will mean for college basketball. In a sport in which members of the coaching staff get slapped on the hand for having game tape on when a player walks in their office, suddenly, manipulating a player’s academic performance so they can pass is okay?

Mark Emmert has said repeatedly that he wants to clean up the sport. I can think of no better opportunity than this. If Emmert wants to prevent every single university under the NCAA’s jurisdiction from creating an Afro-American Studies department, he needs to start rewriting the playbook.

48 Comments for What UNC getting off scot-free means

1. Brad
    6:04 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Boom!

2. Dr. Gonzo
    6:07 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Why is everyone freaking out about this UNC release? It is not the end all be all conclusion. Read the release closely.

3. randomer
    6:08 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

OH but what about the precedent they set in previous cases!!! How can they be so inconsistent!!!

The only people that expected a different result here was A. Matt Jones and B. naive idiots.

Matt Jones is smart as hell why is his understanding of the NCAA worse than the average college sports fan.

4. randomer
    6:11 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

the NCAA will act in it’s best interests at all times. always has always will. the system is not structured with any accountability on NCAA rulings.

5. Sean
    6:14 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I can’t even begin to think what would have happened had UK been the one they were investigating instead of UNC. We would have been chewed and spit out by the NCAA. Probation for the rest of our lives. The NCAA is a JOKE and should be gutted from the inside out and burned down to the ground. Disgusting.

6. Coke Thrower
    6:19 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

No need to get the panties in a wad. We all know the NCAA is a joke.

7. Nuts n bolts screwed again
    6:22 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

WRONG SHADE OF BLUE BOYS! THATS ALL I CAN SAY. TAKING CLASSES THAT R BOGUS!!!!! WHATEVER.. CATS WOULD B ON PROBATION. YOU GOT TO LOVE THE HATERS. UK’S N CAL’S!

8. one-n-done
    6:24 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

#NCAAHATEDAY, Jump on BBN!!!!

9. bpisforuk
    6:32 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Is it a coincidence that ESPN is run by a UNC grad? Is it a coincidence that ESPN has barely covered (no investigating journalism )this scandal? Where is Andy Katz? Is it a coincidence that UNC is the ONLY team with a basketball blog?
    Money talks!!

10. barn
    6:34 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

the sporting news is really slamming unc and the ncaa, but i’ve yet to see anything on espn about it, although admittedly i haven’t watched much tv the past 2 days. any reasonably thinking fan would have to think that this unfair and unbalanced enforcement/non-enforcement by the ncaa will surely have to come to a head in some form or another.

11. Dr. Kutaweigh
    6:35 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

If that ‘infraction’ had been committed by UK basketball the NCAA would have found a way to give us the ‘death penalty”.

12. Ukbulldog
    6:40 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

The more this kind of stuff happens the more everything looks made up on the spot. And no real rules makes me care about the whole things less and less.

13. Mrs. Patterson
    6:49 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky should try it…do exactly what UNC did and see where the NCAA comes down. Precedent set…should be fine, right?

14. old man
    6:59 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Based on J. Peppers transcript, was he eligible to play, based on GPA? I think it said 1.8 overall, and I don’t think that is considered as being eligible. I wonder how many other players should have been ineligible.

Also, how long is Emmertt in this position as president? Is it until he gives it up, or is it a term? The day won’t come soon enough that he is out and someone without a biased agenda holds the position. My guess is he’ll stay until the hammer comes down on UK so that he can get credit for it.

15. bluefan
    7:06 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Unbelievable.

16. hooch
    7:35 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

13 – Yeah, ’cause the goal is to defraud and cheapen the educational system even more than it already is.

17. UKfanFelicia
    7:38 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

What does this mean for like teams gpa? I mean if the NCAA can’t control academic fraud then GPAs shouldn’t matter

18. payton50
    7:42 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

if the ncaa was a man, i would punch it in the face.

19. ukhoopnhe
    7:52 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

The inconsistancy of the NCAA… Maybe it’s time to investigate the NCAA for their ‘lack of institutional control’!! Those dumba$$es make me sick..

20. UKChillfan
    8:01 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Not that it matters but I posted in the comment section when this first broke that nothing would happen to UNC. If I could only pick the ponies as well.

21. me
    8:22 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Just like football Pharmacy at UK. Where they teach you about asprin and how to apply sun screen. Man, I miss college!

22. Rocky
    8:25 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I think that the court system should be approached, unless every collegiate institution agrees with the NCAA ruling. If the system is in the right I see no reason why every collegiate institution shouldn’t employ the same strategy. If the NCAA has decided that it is acceptable to forge signatures; to change grades w/o consent; and, to give grades at will, I fail to see why every institution of higher learning doesn’t follow the lead.

23. Adrian
    8:33 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

You see how the rest of the nation felt when Cal got off scott free twice, the ncaa is a joke but so is this fan base.

24. Roland
    8:34 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Mark Emmert has said repeatedly that he wants to clean up the sport. said by mrs T. I agree with ukhoopnhe. It’s the NCAA that needs to be investigated.

25. joe mama
    8:44 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Have you ever noticed that Northern schools actually stress/prefer Academics while Southern schools mostly just care about Athletics? Sure there are a few exceptions…just saying Southern schools need to offer Basket Weaving and Welding to produce and keep top flight Athletic Programs. You think those guys can actually attend top flight academic schools? They need these easy classes to pass and bring millions of TV and Sports revenue to their universities.

26. Han
    9:08 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

10) I have ESPN on a good bit between Mike & Mike, First Take, Sportscenter, Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption. When there’s any rumor about UK, it shows up on all those programs. However, I have seen no mention of this scandal on those programs. The only reaction I’ve seen from ESPN at all is some blow off short articles on the website.

I’m not saying they never ran a story on any of those programs, but I will say that Tim Tebow gets mentioned more every day than this scandal has been mentioned in the last month. I feel pretty confident of that.

14) I think I saw somewhere that UNC’s own rule is a 2.0 GPA. At the very least, they should have made him drop one of his sports immediately.

17) It means exactly what the post said: Don’t report your real grades. Cover them up and the NCAA is cool with that. But they will send multiple investigators to look into summer school grades for guys like Noel or Bledsoe, and they will send an 8 page report to UK about a 500 Wins Basketball.

23) Clearly the coach not being blamed for one player taking money (but not for going to the school), and another player possibly cheating on his SAT before being at college, is exactly the same as a school putting athletes in fake classes throughout the tenure of multiple coaches. You’re exactly right. We should no better.

27. Matt Gray
    9:14 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Its time to get rid of NCAA…

28. lop-sided reasoning
    9:18 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Hmm…last time I checked, there were no rules pertaining to policing a school in which a former coach, who has an office on campus, molests children either. Sometimes, bad is just bad and you punish it. Got it right with PSU, got it wrong with UNC. “Student” athletes just became even more of a joke term.

29. blueneck
    9:26 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

The Penn State comparison is interesting. Sandusky didn’t violate NCAA rules (just those of moral decency in any culture) and it had little to do with athletics or academics. But to put on a show the NCAA had to get involved. Penn State’s accreditation was even being threatened. But UNC puts on a farce for education and hands out degrees like flyers and there is no uproar.

But I think there is another layer. The liberals don’t want to come down on education departments that are mostly minorities and any attention paid to it only discredits similar programs at other schools.

30. blueneck
    9:28 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

AS #26 said, how was such a big deal made of Bledsoe’s HS grades if no one cares about this guy’s college classes? Shouldn’t they have to VACATE SOME WINS for using an ineligible player?

31. Blue Grampy
    9:35 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

YO ADRIAN BITE ME

32. jman3715
    10:08 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Matt, I think it’s time for another KSR trip to the NCAA HQ!

33. StudentAthlete
    10:11 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Are we really going to point the finger at UNC for academic fraud? Bledsoe, Cousins, Lamb, and Noels probably don’t know how to read. What does that say about UK’s academic integrity? It sure doesn’t make my degree worth much!

34. jman3715
    10:12 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Let me get this straight: If there is any question whatsoever about a high school players math test, the NCAA sends a team of investigators to their high school to question everyone involved. Yet a member institution can just flat out make up classes and grades, no problem there, move along everyone!

35. jman3715
    10:15 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

33) You know nothing of those players and I’m sure you never met them. My guess is the low value of your degree, if you really have one, maybe more a reflection of the person you see in the mirror every morning. Move along troll.

36. Jenny Craig Pitino
    10:18 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I am sure that Florida St. and Bobby Bowden are wondering why they got penalized so hard for similar thing.

37. Dimetrios Georgios Synodinos
    10:25 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Back in the day, historically speaking of course, Negro Studies meant ‘slave owners getting their monies worth’.

Not much has changed since with UNC, college sports, and the NCAA.

38. gr8ness
    10:33 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

@33, a degree from LCC does not equate to the diploma that is earned at UK.

However, an LCC degree is higher ranking than a degree from UofLOL.

39. Dr. Unk
    10:35 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

@33 had a good point, albeit weakened by the use of: ‘probably’.

@36, Bowden WAS pleased as hurl to get away with such light punishment; it was a bargain.

If Mark Emmert is to be true to his word, his failure began – already.

40. BigBlueBallz
    10:42 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

@33, who is Noels? And speaking of degrees being worth anything, I have a degree from IU and have a job that pays well that doesn’t even require a degree. My point? I have a degree, have a job in a field outside of my field of study. Just like these cats. They are making milli’s playing basketball… not in medicine, education, etc.

41. J A Brooks
    10:44 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

There is absolutely no reason why UNC and the NCAA should be getting away with this. Something has got to be done… UNC for academic fraud, the NCAA for unfair practices… and ESPN should take some major heat for sweeping this incident under the rug.

The NCAA is pathetic

42. Jenny Craig Pitino
    10:47 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

#39 Bowden lost 2 years of wins. I am not sure how you consider that lite compared to UNC?

43. Jenny Craig Pitino
    10:48 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

light for #42

44. CBT
    12:32 am September 1, 2012 Permalink

Well said.

45. steve
    9:35 am September 1, 2012 Permalink

it’s a guy thing. mark emmert just got through screwing penn state so he could’nt get it up in time for unc. same thing happened with enes kanter and uk then josh selbey and ku

46. Joe
    11:22 am September 1, 2012 Permalink

I know I’m in the minority here but couldn’t care less if UNC gets punished. We all know there would be rioting in the streets if this happened to our cats, but who gives a shit? We are the kings of college basketball! Why worry about UNC? It’s us and everyone else, and it feels really effin good! Go Cats!

47. kygrlnnm
    11:33 am September 1, 2012 Permalink

Has anyone seen a press release from the NCAA? I’ve only seen press releases from UNC. I haven’t seen one story that tells who from the NCAA was interviewed and said “UNC didn’t commit academic fraud” Where is the NCAA’s public infracions report on this issue? Not being smart. I’m really looking for these things.

48. Beavis
    6:54 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

Why should we care,,,,,everyone should care about the inconsistent application of the rules. What is worse,,,players getting grades for classes they did not attend or having a player ruled eligible to play by the NCAA and then after the season is over declaring him ineligible. Just ask Memphis. Ask U Conn what they think about this. By their own admission UNC is guilty of academic fraud.