What made Archie change his mind?

archie-mizzou

Archie Goodwin two weeks ago: “I don’t think it’s a question on whether I’m going (to the NBA) or not. I don’t think I’m ready to go. … If any of us were saying we think we should leave, then we’d all be delusional.”

Archie Goodwin today: “This is something I’ve dreamed about my entire life and I feel like the opportunity is there for me to play at the next level. I will stay in Lexington to finish my schoolwork this semester before continuing to pursue my dream. I’ve loved my time at UK and want to thank Coach Cal, the staff and my teammates for helping me get where I am. I especially want to thank the Big Blue Nation for all their support.”

After UK’s loss to Robert Morris two weeks ago, Archie Goodwin admitted that neither he nor any of his teammates were ready to go to the NBA after this season. Yet, here we are two weeks later, discussing his decision to forgo his sophomore season and enter the draft.

What happened? Simply put: a historically weak draft.

Both Archie and Alex were faced with an unique decision in the past few weeks: stay in school and fight for playing time with another superstar crop of freshmen or capitalize on the chance they’ll be picked in the first round of the NBA Draft. While Alex needs more time to decide, Archie has seized the opportunity to make his dreams come true. How high will Archie go in the draft? A veteran NBA scout told Adam Zagoria that he could go anywhere from 12th to 22nd.

Chad Ford used Archie’s own quote from after the Robert Morris loss to describe his decision: “I think he used the word delusional, right? Yeah, I’d say that’s right if you’re judging this based off whether he’s ready to play in the NBA right now.” Ford followed that up by saying there are many more factors in Archie’s decision, such as playing time next season and his current draft stock. What’s to say that even after a sophomore season of hard work, Archie’s stock would be any higher? That’s not a slight to him, but rather a reflection of the influx of talent pouring in to the sport.

Moral of the story: don’t put too much stock into what players say after an emotional loss.

54 Comments for What made Archie change his mind?

1. Porcino's
    3:03 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

He would have struggled to get playing time with that much talent on next year’s team.

2. wlliam braskey
    3:03 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

No way he’s going top 25 next year, so why not get paid guaranteed money now.

3. Tubby Smith
    3:04 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to Texas Tech!

4. John Ellis
    3:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie did show some progress this year and he does play a pro style – one on one and pass last. Still think he’s going to spend a lot of D League time.

5. John Ellis
    3:06 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Of course he may get more playing time in the NBA than he would at UK next year.

6. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:09 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Not a great decision. Screw next year’s draft, Archie needs 3 more years in college. How many 6′-02″ shooting guards in the league are poor shooters from 3 and FT’s? Hopefully he proves us wrong, but he’ll bounce around the league for at least 3 years before making any kind of impact on a team, if he’s even still in the league at that time.

7. BA
    3:09 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I wish Archie the best…while I would have loved to have him back here next year, I can’t blame him for a second for going.

8. seenvic
    3:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I thought Archie would either go the way of Joe Forte, and come out this year.

Or come back for 2 more years, get better, and go the way of Keith Bogans.

9. David Stern
    3:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Welcome to the NBA…. Developmental league, Mr. Goodwin. We have plenty of teams that need your services. Feel free to choose from the Idaho Stampede, Erie Bayhawks, or the Iowa Energy. Burrrr down.

10. Rei
    3:11 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie can test his draft stock and come back without an agent. No reason to worry.

11. NextYear
    3:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

to MTT – nice write, if this is closure for Archie & UK, it’s the best note it could end on. Hope AG succeeds in chasing his NBA dream, no matter his court judgement with the Cats, he was definitely not a slacker in a year in which effort was questioned of several players. Wish he would stay at least another year, but with the money that’s out there you do what you think is best for you and your family. Archie, we never really new you.

12. MN CAT
    3:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s nuts to say Archie would have struggled for playing time next year. Even if he didn’t start, he would have played a lot. If I’m wrong about this, we are going to be even better than I thought next year. So, I hope I’m wrong.

13. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:14 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

2 – an undersized shooting guard that shoots 26% from college 3’s and 63% from free throws shouldn’t be thinking about the NBA next year. He should be thinking about it 2-3 years from now.

14. theSkinny81
    3:14 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Wiggins

15. Butch
    3:25 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Cut the brother a break, he had to enter the draft, the posse comin in next year, weakazz draft, and kinfolk in Little Rock gettin antsy.

Best of luck Archie.

16. rixter
    3:28 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Can you imagine being the GM who spends a lottery pick on Archie Goodwin? I hope that guy has his resume up to date

17. Jason
    3:31 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

God forbid he or Alex actually stay THREE or FOUR years at the university until they were ready to go to the league. The only people excited about Archie’s decision are NBA execs who covet players that spend more time laying on the floor than Lindsey Lohan.

18. Dustin
    3:32 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Good riddance, glad to see him and Harrow gone. Goodwin’s exit will help in terms of recruitment of Wiggins. Poythress coming back would be nice for depth and development of the team. Great to see we’ll have 2 7 footers this year again. It will help out development for both and the team. Those 2 seem to be nice interchangeable parts with each one’s strong point being offense(DJ) and defense (WCS). Gives us options for different lineups. This current roster with returnees and recruits are unbelievable as it stands. However, how much sweeter would the red velvet cake at Orange Leaf be if Wiggins came? Just having a greedy thought about him coming, but if it was all over today I would be ecstatic no matter what. It currently stands better than Fab 5, with Wiggins or Gordon we’d just be adding to it.

19. Melvit
    3:34 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Probably the same thing that changed Harrow’s mind, Coach Cal.

20. UKBlue
    3:35 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Kid will never play in a regular season NBA game. With this year draft being horrible, instead of wasting picks on this year kids, you’re going to see a lot of teams especially in the lower half of the draft trade this year draft picks for next year/future draft picks or for cash.

21. Roland
    3:39 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Some don’t read the comments on posts here or articles available to anyone with a finger that works, they just comment

22. niaps
    3:45 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie should stay as he is no where neat NBA potential. Playing with the guys we got coming in next year would only make him better. But if he’s gone then maybe that has something to do with the talk he had with coach Cal.
    Now the real question is when will Dominque Hawkins get his scholarship offer he deserves. I really like this kid and see him as a real sleeper in this class and someone who will make an Impact on the future of UK.

23. Michael
    3:50 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Two morals to this story:

1) Don’t put too much stock into what players say after an emotional loss… or EVER.
    2) Don’t confuse moral with morale.

24. edlover
    3:53 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Delusional. If I was an NBA team owner and my GM drafted Archie Goodwin at any spot in the draft I would fire his dumbass immediately.Bad shooter, no strength, mediocre free throw shooter, can’t defend,on and on and on. So he throws down a few nice dunks when unguarded – Big deal.

Archie might should get consideration if he stays 4 years and works really really hard. ie Darius Miller. Archie is making a major mistake.

25. Marty
    3:55 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie needs at least one more year. Plenty of time to change your mind. Do not know who is guided him but his draft status is not very good. You need to really check where you might be drafted. Wish you well if this is your decision.

26. tyrus
    4:01 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Go cash in, no problem. But you won’t be remembered over time like the Tony Delk’s of UK basketball history.

27. ciphercomplete
    4:02 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#23 is the winner. LMFAO

28. SoCal Will
    4:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Guaranteed millionaire. Invest wisely and never work a day in his life. Cal isn’t going to ruin chemistry and start only one twin. Good luck to you, Arch…

29. bcat
    4:20 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Hey. Here’s an idea. See what your draft stock is like in 3 years after four years of improving yourself as a player and a person. So you don’t get as much playing time next year. Woopedeedoo! Keep learning.

30. Eroc and roll
    4:22 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Cal not offered Hawkins a spot yet because he’s saving one for Gordon and wiggins. You heard it here first

31. boogie
    4:27 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I’m still confused why people are saying “he won’t get picked top 20 in next years draft” Okay….well, he has 2 more years to prove he’s a top 10 pick. I lost some respect for Archie Goodwin but I won’t bad mouth him and I fully support his decision. I hope he proves me wrong but I think he will have trouble getting a second contract.

32. Really?
    4:35 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Is this an elaborate April Fool’s joke?

33. Roland
    4:36 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins will be wearing “KENTUCKY” across his chest next year when he plays basketball.

34. brain
    4:39 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Hope Archie goes high. Good luck too him.

35. Beepthacreep
    4:49 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie made the right choice. He will be a first round pick. Which means in 3 years he will make no less than 4 million dollars. I have a great job and it takes me 20 years to make 4 million dollars. Heck then if the kid can just half way contribute and he can , heck just play hard and play good d then he has a chance for a stupid contract some like bogans has done over his 9/10 year career. I think bogans has made around 17 million over his career

36. didyaknow
    4:56 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Remember Cal saying that some players were playing a LOT more minutes than deserved because of not having a bench? And remember Cal saying that a couple of the players weren’t coachable? Well maybe it was suggested that Goodwin’s best interest was to go pro.

37. I shouldn't have given up
    5:11 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Of all the UK players we have had leave early..
    I have a feeling this kid is the most unprepared.. And that includes
    Daniel Orten or was or Orton..

38. Dave from afternoon underdogs
    5:19 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

“Louisville’s basketball program is fairly even with duke…” Lol I swear I heard Dave say this on the afternoon underdogs lol wow louisville fans are so delusional

39. Laker Cat 18
    5:24 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Maybe nothing has changed. Just because he declares for the draft doesn’t mean he will go. My bet is Cal told him to release this news as nothing is set in stone in hopes of landing another big recruit. Just a guess. Archie can still come back.

40. goob
    5:48 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

but, he said he was coming back next year. wtf??

41. joeboo
    6:27 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

He knows he’s not ready. College is suppose to get you prepared to play with the big dogs and its not
    an easy transition even for much better players. Coach Cal may have had a talk with him. He cannot shoot the ball and needs work on defense. Hope he makes it, if he does go. It’s hard to think he can after watching him this season. His fundamentals need work as well. Someone up there compared Archie Goodwin to Keith Bogans(4-year)player at Uk. That’s why he has maintained in the NBA. I’ll pray he does well this world is all about show me the money! It’s going be tough road for him playing in D league games and sitting on the bench in front of no crowds at those games either.

42. Professional Scout
    6:46 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie is the first Cal kid (@ UK) to go pro who wasn’t ready.

His percentages are no where near where they need to be before a pro team gives him the rock and says “it’s yours”.

You can’t be a slashing shooting guard who takes the ball to the rim while shooting 63% from the stripe.

The only place you can get away with that is the YMCA (because they don’t shoot free throws).

43. egg layer
    6:50 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Simply put, the guy would have probably been burried 2-3 deep on the bench, and here for probably 3 years if he didn’t go. He never learned how to pass or be a team player and made atrocious decisions. On the bright side he is a hard worker and the NBA is more of a one-on-one game than the college game which will favor him. It is possible to be an NBA player without a jump shot or the ability to hit free throws, just ask Rajon Rondo. I would guess he probably wouldn’t see any playing time and be in the D’ League for the first 2 years. Then it will be put up or shut up. Worst case scenario he makes 2-3 million from NBA and becomes a good overseas player. Wish he would have stayed, good luck Archie.

44. BlueTruth
    6:51 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I don’t really care what Archie’s reason for leaving was. I’m just really glad he’s leaving. Watching him play made me all the more eager for football season. He’s selfish, immature, big-headed and unprepared for the NBA, but then again, I just described the majority of the NBA.

45. Bojangles
    7:08 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Not that what I think matters, but I find the current state of Kentucky basketball a bit irritating.

46. BOJANGLES HAS ENTERED REHAB
    7:15 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Official Statement From Charter Ridge:

“We have accepted Bojangles on the condition that he keep his inflammations to himself.”

– Dr. Johnson, Head Psychiatrist, Charter Ridge

47. TROPHY U
    7:17 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Cal’s going to collect more trophies than anyone else during the next 10 years.

If that’s irritating, then go root for Transy.

48. Nashvillain
    7:30 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

For Archie this is career, so I understand him wanting to make the jump now to avoid the influx of elite guards next year and perhaps lose draft status. However if he goes this year, he will most likely bounce back and forth to the D-League and after his initial contract, who knows what might happen. Whereas if he stayed another year or even two, when he made the jump to the NBA, even if it was a lower pick, he would be better prepared and might never see the D-League and his 2nd contract would be more lucrative, probably even be looking at endorsements. So financially for him, I think it actually makes more sense to stay with this historical class.

49. Bojangles
    7:38 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

46.) That was funny.
    47.) I believe it and am excited.

I mean, I am not trying to be a negative-Nancy. Perhaps I misspoke. My problem doesn’t lie so much with Cal and co. as it does the current state of college basketball. Maybe I’m just a big ole softy, but I hate seeing kids leave after a year. Sometimes a lot of the fun with being a fan resides in watching the development of players. Archie’s game, although unpolished at times, was my favorite on this year’s roster. I was pretty pumped at seeing him get it under control and being able to collect on a few more of those brilliant takes…

50. Sgt. Jimmy
    8:19 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Good luck to Archie in chasing his dream. I agree its a historicaly weak draft but I believe there are more “good teams” than last just no dominating one like the 1212 CATS.

51. History & Tradition
    8:30 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

When the 1212 Cats put a smack down on Genghis Khan at the GreatWall Classic I knew there was something special about the Blue & White.

20,000 Kentucky fans showed up to root on the Big Blue to victory. After the game Khan admitted that he picked the wrong team when he was drafted as a Diaper Dandy.

From that day on Khan took out his rage on the rest of China for not getting THE RING.

52. Amazing Larry
    9:52 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie said in high school that he was one and done. He has never indicated anything to the on tarry except after te Robert Morris loss. Understandibly, he was a little dejected that night, but his plan was always to go pro. He ain’t ready, but he’s gone.

53. bort
    10:21 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Both Harrow and Goodwin will not be at Ky. next year for one reason: Cal doesn’t want them. These two were very selfish players who never bought into what Cal was trying to accomplish. I am not buying the “my Dad had a stroke” excuse for Harrow, and I’m not buying the “weak draft” stuff for Goodwin, either. I have talked with a couple of coaches who are tight with Cal and both told me a month ago that these two would not be coming back to Ky. next year. Cal wants Poythress to return b/c, although he underperformed, he has a ton of potential and at least was a team player. Goodwin was a total ball-hog and a cancer on the team. Cal had Goodwin’s bags packed weeks ago. Sorry guys, but this is “save face” week at Ky.

54. somebody's will pay me
    10:45 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I fooled Coach Cal, I can fool some ignorant NBA Scout.