Calipari passionately answers mailbag questions

John Calipari went to his mailbag to answer a few questions from Big Blue Nation on CoachCal.com earlier this morning. In a nutshell, this is what he said:

Did you get all of that? If what you got out of it was that…

-the reason his teams practice so fast, and play up and down fast, is because he wants them to learn to have their feet moving very fast… while their minds are moving very slow

– just because your feet are moving fast, doesn’t mean your mind has to move that way

– every drill he does is to slow the mind down so that the players are not panicked and can make good decisions

– he wants his players to be like ducks…

– under the water he wants them to be picture # 7 (second to last)

– above water, he wants them to be picture # 8 (last picture)

– they have to practice that way in order to be able to play that way

...then you were correct.

Cal was also asked which former player at Kentucky he would have most liked to coach that he didn’t get the chance to. His answer?

RONDO

– “I would have loved Rondo. Now the issue would have been, in a wide open game, a great lay-up shooter and great creator, with the way we play that’s scary. And I’ve been around him and I just like him. He’s got great basketball knowledge. Not good, great. I think what would have happened, not only would it have been him, but he would have dragged 3 or 4 other guys with him. He would have dragged everyone with him, kind of like John Wall did.”

P.s. I spy with my 3 goggle eye a precious young Brad Calipari picture in the background. Go Cats and have a great weekend, folks.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

22 Comments for Calipari passionately answers mailbag questions

1. BigBlueFever
    9:40 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

What was that?

2. JRupp
    9:40 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

A series of unflattering screencaps of our coach? Great post, KSR. Keep poking that tiger. I bet Cal appreciates it.

3. BigBlueFever
    9:54 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

@2 yeah not very flattering to Cal at all…why do that?

4. Ally Tucker
    10:00 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Loosen up folks. I love how fired up he gets when he talks about anything and everything. Even he found his duck reference comical.

5. Isaac in Long Beach
    10:02 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

How is that unflattering? That’s how he looks… He knows how he looks. Lay off, it was a good post.

6. UKBlue1!
    10:07 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

What Cal is basically saying about Rondo….is “Why in the Hell didn’t Tubby win with him? “

7. BigBlueFever
    10:08 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Yeah I love his passion also but I still don’t see the need for the pics…@5, yeah I am sure he knows how he looks but screen freeze shots are never flattering. That is what politicians do with their campaign ads to make their opponent look bad…not sure we need to do that to our coach.

8. minton
    10:09 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

It’s neat that what Cal is talking about also translates to motorcycle road racing. You are moving fast, but your mind is in slow motion. Mind control is the most important thing you have to learn to be fast. I’m sure that translates to a lot of other sports too, but I haven’t heard anyone say it before, besides in motorcycle racing. It’s like being in the zone.

9. BigBlueFever
    10:10 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

@5 …You don’t think a pic where he has his mouth open like he is trying to catch flies is unflattering?

10. minton
    10:25 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

I see the pictures as nothing but light-hearted comedy and think Cal would be a good sport and chuckle about it.

11. theSkinny81
    10:35 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

7 – i think your Fever has caused brain damage. lighten up.

12. bluefan
    10:37 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Pay these guys no mind, Ally. Good post.

13. Isaac in Long Beach
    10:46 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

9 – If Cal was as concerned with how he might look in a screenshot as you apparently are, he’d make a video without his face in it. It’s hard for me to imagine a fan of a rival team seeing the screenshots and having any sort of opinion (good or bad) about them, i.e. “OH MAN THAT SHOT OF CAL WITH HIS MOUTH OPEN IS PROOF THAT RICK PITINO IS GOD AND CAL CHEATS.”

Wait, actually, I can totally see a Louisville fan doing that. Nevermind, carry on.

14. jaxcats8503
    10:56 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Very good, original style, post. Writers recently have been bringing it. Keep up solid work!

15. BigBlueFever
    11:15 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

@11 no I don’t have “brain damage” as you so stated…I just don’t see the humor in posting unflattering pics of our national championship coach. If you love them more power to you. Maybe you could go laugh at some Down’s Syndrome kids or go to the ER and laugh at injury victims…I bet you could have a great laugh or two there, who knows you might see someone with real brain damage and really laugh it up. I am stating my opinion that I think the pics are not necessary but if you disagree, then more power to you laugh it up but I say save those type of pics for rival coaches like Pitino or Clappy the Clown.

16. BigBlueFever
    11:21 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

@13 I really don’t care what a rival fan may say about pics of our coach because I am sure they have said worse…I just think it is about respecting our coach as a fanbase, especially a coach that has done as much for us as Cal has done.

17. SeaCat
    11:42 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Ally, change your name to Mark Twain
    or some variation.
    You are gooooooood!

18. Catcrawler
    12:27 am September 22, 2012 Permalink

Rondo’s recruiting class was #1. Rondo, Morris, Crawford, and Bradley. Should’ve made FF their freshmen year and would have if Ramel had not been injured in that 1st OT.. took away all the momentum.

19. Screw Tubby
    1:08 am September 22, 2012 Permalink

Rondo is a perfect fit for Cals DD. Hell Rondo is a perfect fit to play PG in any off. Other then the one Tubby ran. It hurts me to say it but Rondo would have been on the all-America team if he had went to UL. It is what it is. As 18 said if that recruiting class plus Hayes and Azabukie they should have been in the FF. I don’t agree with any injury keeping that from happening. Tubby’s not changing is style to suit his talent is why we didn’t make the FF. That team should have been one of the better teams UK has had the talent was there just not coached properly if Cal had them there would be 9 banners.

20. 1986 champs
    3:17 am September 22, 2012 Permalink

#17 yeah so good that on Louisville Hate Day she did a post where she thought UofL won their last FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP in 1986.

21. hugh jorgan
    7:06 am September 22, 2012 Permalink

i love the part where coach says rondo “would’ve dragged 3 or 4 guys with him”. unfortunately he was attached to a big anchor on the sideline

22. Ally Tucker
    9:24 am September 22, 2012 Permalink

20, dear… Go back and read the post. It says the last basketball championship in 1986. Now have a good day